Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!

District Selectman posted:

Since I see you're interested in rentals in general, I encourage you to look into the financials of renting by the room to college kids. Pay attention to the tax write-offs, more than anything. When I ran the numbers, it came out to a taxable loss, with about $10k in (tax free) annual income.

Be sure to take passive loss limitations into account with this strategy. Passive losses can only be deducted up to the amount of passive gains, and if you are not a real estate professional, this rental would probably be classified as a passive activity. The tax write-offs might not be as great as you think on a year to year basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm in this weird situation where by my employer's policies I'm not eligible to participate in their retirement programs, but I held an account with the financial institution that manages their programs before getting hired and the retirement accounts showed up on my account page with them anyway, with balances of $0. Is anyone aware of any weird regulatory trap situations I may find myself in if I just continue ignoring these accounts?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm in this weird situation where by my employer's policies I'm not eligible to participate in their retirement programs, but I held an account with the financial institution that manages their programs before getting hired and the retirement accounts showed up on my account page with them anyway, with balances of $0. Is anyone aware of any weird regulatory trap situations I may find myself in if I just continue ignoring these accounts?

I've had several of these for 5-6 years now and it has never come up. I doubt it means anything at all.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MickeyFinn posted:

I've had several of these for 5-6 years now and it has never come up. I doubt it means anything at all.

Great, thanks. I figure some system just got its wires crossed and forgot to check the "is eligible" flag at some point.

friendly gentleman
Jul 8, 2007

UH, THIS ISNT YOUR DOG IS IT

OP posted:

3) Max out 401(k) ($17,500 limit this year)

Question about point 3 in the OP. Can I contribute money, outside of the payroll deductions, to my employer sponsored 401k?

I've already contributed past my employer match and done my 5.5k Roth for the year. I'm trying to figure out what's next here.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. My grandmother (who lived in the UK) died and left my dad some money which he now wants to give to me. The money (over $10,000) is in a bank account in the UK. What is the best way to deal with the money? Should my dad try and transfer the money over here to the US and then gift the money to me over a couple of years? I can provide more information as needed.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Just signed up for SigFig this week, but I'm not seeing where it gives specific advice on the website as to what to fix - it has options for paying for them to rebalance each account for $10/account/month, and optimal portfolio redistribution, but nothing like "here's where you're paying too much for X". But, if I load up the mobile app, I see those specific recommendations on what to change. Where do I find the same info in my desktop PC's web browser?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So I have a question for you guys because I've been pretty antsy about saving money. For a while I've been contemplating opening a Vanguard S&P 500 index fund account but I didn't have enough cash that I was comfortable setting aside (I want to have at least 6 months living expenses liquid for an emergency). Now that I feel I can do it I'm a bit spooked by everything sitting at a record high number and seemingly accelerating faster. Is there a better fund I should be looking at that I can put <5k into and have a bit less chance of losing my shirt because I bought high? For reference I'm 25 years old and already max out my 401k contributions so this is supplementary savings.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Nail Rat posted:

So I'm pretty happy with changing the way I viewed saving for retirement in 2013...went from having literally zero dollars invested in retirement accounts at age 29 to having 11k in my 401k and 2kish in my Roth IRA.

However, when I started the 401k at the beginning of the year I basically just threw poo poo together, not knowing what I was doing. I still don't know what I'm doing, but I know a little more, and would like to rebalance. Just wanted to get some input on the plan.

Current funds:

50% American Funds Balanced Fund Class R3 0.95% ER
25% Delaware Select Growth Fund Class A 1.27%
25% RS Partners Fund Class A 1.45%

*snip*

Not that great, sans a few Vanguard options that have extremely low expense ratios. The target funds being class R3 are really unattractive compared to say my Vanguard target IRA.

I was thinking of:

50% Vanguard 500 Index Fund 0.05% ER
30% Vanguard Mid-Cap 0.10% ER
20% Templeton Global Bonds Fund 0.91% ER (about halfway through The Four Pillars, for context...so I'm currently thinking 20% in bonds)

Some arithmetic tells me my average expense ratio under this allocation drops from 1.155% to 0.2825%...nearly an extra 1% in returns sounds a lot nicer.

1) Is this good for someone my age, or would there be a better option?
2) Should I just leave my current assets where they are or transfer them to the new allocation? ADP's website isn't really clear on what sort of fees they'll take out of the balance due to the transfer.

0.91% is still expensive. I'd just hold all your bonds in your IRA. There's no reason to hold every asset class in each account, as long as your combined mix is on target. Just keep some stock in the IRA too to rebalance against.

Also, your IRA balance is rather light compared to your 401k. Most people will want to prioritize maxing their Roth IRA over making unmatched 401k contributions.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Blindeye posted:

So I have a question for you guys because I've been pretty antsy about saving money. For a while I've been contemplating opening a Vanguard S&P 500 index fund account but I didn't have enough cash that I was comfortable setting aside (I want to have at least 6 months living expenses liquid for an emergency). Now that I feel I can do it I'm a bit spooked by everything sitting at a record high number and seemingly accelerating faster. Is there a better fund I should be looking at that I can put <5k into and have a bit less chance of losing my shirt because I bought high? For reference I'm 25 years old and already max out my 401k contributions so this is supplementary savings.

Same as every other recommendation, put 10% into bonds, and of the rest of the 90%, 70% S&P500 and 30% international.

You need to know what you are getting into. If you are opening an index fund account, the assumption is that you're going to be in the market for 10+ years, without moving money out. Otherwise, any time is a good time to invest.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Blindeye posted:

If you had the ability to predict when the market is going to rise or drop, you would own all the money in the world. I see this saying on this forum a lot and I like it: Time in the market beats timing the market.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I'm planning to open a Roth IRA with Vanguard in the next week or two (fully funded for 2013) and I was wondering which funds I should hold in both it and my 401(k) to be properly diversified while minimizing my weighted expense ratio. I am 24 years old and I don't plan to retire until my early 60s at the earliest. Currently in my 401(k) I have $14.5k invested in the Principal LifeTime 2055 target retirement fund (LTFLX) which has a fairly high expense ratio (1.19%). Unfortunately almost all of the funds available in my 401(k) have similarly high (or higher) expense ratios except for two S&P index funds. Here is a summary of the available funds in my 401(k) (minus the target retirement funds):

code:
Investment Option				Ticker	Expense Ratio
**Short-Term Fixed Income		
Principal Stable Value Fund			--	0.87%
**Fixed Income		
Franklin US Government Securities R Fund	FUSRX	1.08%
PIMCO Total Return R Fund			PTRRX	1.10%
**Large U.S. Equity		
American Funds Fundamental Investors R3 Fund	RFNCX	0.96%
Franklin Flex Cap Growth R Fund			FRCGX	1.24%
MFS Value R2 Fund				MVRRX	1.21%
Principal LargeCap S&P 500 Index R5 Fund 	PLFPX	0.42%
**Small/Mid U.S. Equity		
MidCap Growth R4 Fund				PIPPX	1.06%
Franklin Small Cap Value R Fund			FVFRX	1.48%
Invesco Small Cap Growth R Fund			GTSRX	1.48%
JP Morgan Mid Cap Value R2 Fund			JMVZX	1.64%
Nuveen Real Estate Securities R3 Fund 		FRSSX	1.53%
Principal MidCap R4 Fund			PMBSX	1.00%
Principal SmallCap S&P 600 Index R5 Fund 	PSSPX	0.45%
**International Equity		
American Funds EuroPacific Growth R3 Fund	RERCX	1.14%
Franklin Mutual Global Discovery R Fund 	TEDRX	1.52%
MFS International New Discovery R2 Fund 	MIDRX	1.64%
Principal International Emerging Markets R4 Fund PESSX	1.61%
**Other		
Franklin Utilities C Fund 			FRUSX	1.26%
I am going to be contributing $5500 into my IRA for 2013 and then $458 each paycheck (monthly) to hit the limit for 2014. I have been and will continue to contribute 6% to my 401(k) plus my 50% employer match for a total of $388/month. The asset allocation ntan1 recommended (10% bonds, 63% US stock, 27% international) seems reasonable, is this allocation of funds a good way to achieve that?

code:
Account	  Fund	                            % Total   Total Amt   ER
401k      PLFPX (S&P 500 Index)             63%       $12.5k      0.42%
401k      PTRRX	(PIMCO Total Return)        10%       $ 2.0K      1.10%
IRA       VGTSX (Vanguard Total Intl Stock) 27%       $ 5.5k      0.22%
Total:                                                $20.0k      0.43%
Since I will be contributing to my IRA at a faster rate than my 401(k), as my IRA becomes a larger portion of my total portfolio I would reallocate my 401k entirely to be stock and move my bond holdings to my IRA in the VBMFX (Vanguard Total Bond) fund.

Should I split my US investments between the S&P 500 and S&P 600 index funds at all to gain exposure to small cap equities?

Fake edit: looking at my 401(k) account online it also appears that I can make Roth/post-tax contributions to it. Should I switch from making pre-tax contributions to Roth contributions? That would reduce my contribution to about $280/month but obviously tax-free withdrawals in retirement would be nice.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Disclaimer: I'm still clueless about investing. That said, I would only do something like you listed where you're balancing asset allocation across the two accounts in aggregate if you do in fact switch the 401k to a Roth IRA. It would seem to defeat the purpose of tax diversification ( one part Roth one part traditional) if all your international stock is tax free and all your bonds/US stock are ultimately taxable.

Also employer 401k matches are always traditional, not Roth, so that's an annoying little thing if you go all Roth. But hey if the vast majority of your income is tax-free in retirement and you have only a tiny bit that you're withdrawing that's taxable, you'll probably get almost all of that back from the standard deduction :v: If you contributed the max to a Roth IRA and $280/month Roth 401k until age 64, assuming just 3% inflation-adjusted returns that's 700k in purchasing power at age 64, which I think sounds pretty good considering it's tax-free. And that's pretending you won't up the 401k contribution or increase Roth contributions when the limit goes to 6k or 6500, which you probably will.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 30, 2013

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Has anybody here invested in trust deeds? From what I can tell, it's a way to invest in real estate a little more directly than REITs: http://www.tngtrustdeeds.com/trust-deed-investments/

Just curious, the main limitation is that you can only invest 10% of your net worth (excluding primary residence as assets) in them. Is there something I should be looking for as a scam here?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Nail Rat posted:

Basically, I've done well on the 401k just due to the market doing well, but looking at the expense ratios I've realized I'm probably leaving a lot of money on the table by paying those. These are the options I have:

American Funds Money Market Fund - Class R3
American Funds Intermediate Bond Fund of America - Class R3
PIMCO Total Return Fund - Class A
Templeton Global Bond Fund - Class A
JPMorgan SmartRetirement Income Fund - Class R2
JPMorgan SmartRetirement Various Target Funds - Class R2
American Funds American Balanced Fund - Class R3
American Funds The Income Fund of America - Class R3
American Funds American Mutual Fund - Class R3
Vanguard 500 Index Fund - Signal Class
American Funds AMCAP Fund - Class R3
American Funds The Growth Fund of America - Class R3
Delaware Select Growth Fund - Class A
American Century Mid Cap Value Fund - Class R
Vanguard Mid-Cap Index Fund - Signal Class
BlackRock U.S. Opportunities Portfolio - Investor A Class
RS Partners Fund - Class A
MFS New Discovery Fund - Class R2
American Funds EuroPacific Growth Fund - Class R3
American Funds Capital World Growth and Income Fund - Class R3
American Funds SMALLCAP World Fund - Class R3

Not that great, sans a few Vanguard options that have extremely low expense ratios. The target funds being class R3 are really unattractive compared to say my Vanguard target IRA.

I was thinking of:

50% Vanguard 500 Index Fund 0.05% ER
30% Vanguard Mid-Cap 0.10% ER
20% Templeton Global Bonds Fund 0.91% ER (about halfway through The Four Pillars, for context...so I'm currently thinking 20% in bonds)

I ended up going with this instead:

63% Vanguard 500 Index Fund
27% American Funds EuroPacific Growth Fund
10% Templeton Global Bond Fund

It seemed the best of my limited options to get US stock exposure(pretty happy with that part) and international and bond exposure(not that happy with that part). I may or may not down the road a few months switch to say 40% Vanguard 500 Index and 23% Vanguard Mid-Cap Index for some more aggressive exposure within US stocks, but meh. This is a better allocation than the random poo poo I had before...and my weighted expense ratio still went down by 0.72% :hellyeah:

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 30, 2013

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moana posted:

Has anybody here invested in trust deeds? From what I can tell, it's a way to invest in real estate a little more directly than REITs: http://www.tngtrustdeeds.com/trust-deed-investments/

Just curious, the main limitation is that you can only invest 10% of your net worth (excluding primary residence as assets) in them. Is there something I should be looking for as a scam here?

It looks like some form of p2p lending to small business owners wanting to flip/rent/construct real estate, but with collateralization and enormous concentration risk. Only multi-millionaires need sensibly apply. Ask yourself why you're getting 9-12% when prime mortgages are sitting at 3-5%.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

baquerd posted:

It looks like some form of p2p lending to small business owners wanting to flip/rent/construct real estate, but with collateralization and enormous concentration risk. Only multi-millionaires need sensibly apply. Ask yourself why you're getting 9-12% when prime mortgages are sitting at 3-5%.
They buy their properties at auction for around 60% of appraised value or less, or so they say, then fix them up. So you're looking at increasing value of the property, and for a company with lots of holdings I think that makes sense, since you can hold onto properties for longer when the market crashes and pay out to lenders from past profits if you're not able to liquidate holdings for a few years b/c of a downturn in the market.

I imagine 9-12% is less profit than DIY landlording/flipping, but also less risky/concentrated. And agreed, this is mostly for people nearing retirement age. Just curious since I've never heard of it before.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm planning to open a Roth IRA with Vanguard in the next week or two (fully funded for 2013) and I was wondering which funds I should hold in both it and my 401(k) to be properly diversified while minimizing my weighted expense ratio. I am 24 years old and I don't plan to retire until my early 60s at the earliest. Currently in my 401(k) I have $14.5k invested in the Principal LifeTime 2055 target retirement fund (LTFLX) which has a fairly high expense ratio (1.19%). Unfortunately almost all of the funds available in my 401(k) have similarly high (or higher) expense ratios except for two S&P index funds. Here is a summary of the available funds in my 401(k) (minus the target retirement funds):

*snip*

I am going to be contributing $5500 into my IRA for 2013 and then $458 each paycheck (monthly) to hit the limit for 2014. I have been and will continue to contribute 6% to my 401(k) plus my 50% employer match for a total of $388/month. The asset allocation ntan1 recommended (10% bonds, 63% US stock, 27% international) seems reasonable, is this allocation of funds a good way to achieve that?

code:
Account	  Fund	                            % Total   Total Amt   ER
401k      PLFPX (S&P 500 Index)             63%       $12.5k      0.42%
401k      PTRRX	(PIMCO Total Return)        10%       $ 2.0K      1.10%
IRA       VGTSX (Vanguard Total Intl Stock) 27%       $ 5.5k      0.22%
Total:                                                $20.0k      0.43%
Since I will be contributing to my IRA at a faster rate than my 401(k), as my IRA becomes a larger portion of my total portfolio I would reallocate my 401k entirely to be stock and move my bond holdings to my IRA in the VBMFX (Vanguard Total Bond) fund.

Should I split my US investments between the S&P 500 and S&P 600 index funds at all to gain exposure to small cap equities?

Fake edit: looking at my 401(k) account online it also appears that I can make Roth/post-tax contributions to it. Should I switch from making pre-tax contributions to Roth contributions? That would reduce my contribution to about $280/month but obviously tax-free withdrawals in retirement would be nice.

Picking up PSSPX is a good idea, especially since it's not really any more expensive than PLFPX. So within your 401k, I'd do 65% PLFPX, 20% PSSPX, and 15% PTRRX.

If Roth made sense for your IRA, it makes sense for your 401k too. Remember that even though it's less money contributed on paper, if your tax rate remains constant then the difference is actually a wash. Keep the bonds in the pre-tax money that's already there until they move to your IRA, since they'll have the least growth.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I have enough in my Vanguard accounts to get Admiral shares of all of the funds that the Target Retirement funds invest in. Is there any reason not to pull all of my money out of the Target funds and just buy the mix of funds myself? Are there any tax implications I need to worry about or is there some way to just transfer the money?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Papercut posted:

I have enough in my Vanguard accounts to get Admiral shares of all of the funds that the Target Retirement funds invest in. Is there any reason not to pull all of my money out of the Target funds and just buy the mix of funds myself? Are there any tax implications I need to worry about or is there some way to just transfer the money?

Are all your assets in IRAs? Transfer away, have fun.

Are some of your assets in taxable accounts? You'll need to pay taxes on capital gains.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

baquerd posted:

Are all your assets in IRAs? Transfer away, have fun.

Are some of your assets in taxable accounts? You'll need to pay taxes on capital gains.

It's all in IRAs yeah, thanks!

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Papercut posted:

You have enough money that you can buy Admiral shares of the funds in the same proportions as the Target Retirement fund? If not, remember that you're shifting your asset allocation to something that you may or may not want.

Happy new year, all! The whole "backdoor" Roth IRA thing still works in 2014, right?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

What's the recommended period of time to wait before rebalancing a portfolio? In Four pillars Bernstein alternately uses "each year" and "two years."

crazyphil
Feb 18, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

What's the recommended period of time to wait before rebalancing a portfolio? In Four pillars Bernstein alternately uses "each year" and "two years."

I'd say whenever it makes sense to. For example, I've been 100% in the Vanguard Target Retirement Fund (2050) for the last two tax years. I decided I want more control over my portfolio though, so this morning I rebalanced.

My question for you guys: Thoughts on Vanguard's new Dividend Appreciation Index Admiral Shares (VDADX)? This large cap fund just launched a few weeks ago. I figured the S&P 500 is due for an adjustment and unlikely to repeat it's 30% growth in 2014, so I went with a large cap fund with a focus on dividends. Why not reap some of those rewards from the stock market rally? Where would you guys recommend I throw this year's IRA max into? I was thinking of going with Small-Cap Value Index Admiral (VSIAX) to round-out the portfolio. Explorer is sexy, but I think it's a little high right now.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

crazyphil posted:

My question for you guys: Thoughts on Vanguard's new Dividend Appreciation Index Admiral Shares (VDADX)? This large cap fund just launched a few weeks ago. I figured the S&P 500 is due for an adjustment and unlikely to repeat it's 30% growth in 2014, so I went with a large cap fund with a focus on dividends. Why not reap some of those rewards from the stock market rally? Where would you guys recommend I throw this year's IRA max into? I was thinking of going with Small-Cap Value Index Admiral (VSIAX) to round-out the portfolio. Explorer is sexy, but I think it's a little high right now.

Vanguard Extended Market Index. Sticking to the S&P 500 and the Vanguard Extended Market Index effectively captures the entire US stock market.

crazyphil
Feb 18, 2011

ntan1 posted:

Vanguard Extended Market Index. Sticking to the S&P 500 and the Vanguard Extended Market Index effectively captures the entire US stock market.

Thank, I'll look into it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

crazyphil posted:

I'd say whenever it makes sense to. For example, I've been 100% in the Vanguard Target Retirement Fund (2050) for the last two tax years. I decided I want more control over my portfolio though, so this morning I rebalanced.

By rebalancing I mean balancing back to the intended percentages. It seems unlikely your portfolio would ever stay at the "intended" asset distribution for more than a few weeks owing to different assets performing differently.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Anywhere between the two is fine.

Personally, I think my approach is going to be to rebalance any time there's a significant market correction after it's been more than a year since my last rebalance, and if two years go by without any such sudden change, rebalance then. I know that's kind of market timing, but it makes sense.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I've got a Roth IRA I started contributing to this year (for 2012 at first). I just got married in October though and and my wife is being stubborn about filing taxes this year as Married Filing Separately. What this appears to mean is that I wouldn't be eligible to contribute to a roth IRA in 2013, and need to pull my 2013 contributions out.

2012: $5000
2013: $400

But the value on the fund has increased as well. If I can't convince her to do MFJ, obviously I need to pull out the $400. But do I then also pull out the gains attributed to that $400, and pay capital gains tax on them come tax time? How do I suss out the amount attributable to that $400?

I was thinking that if that $400 bought 15.552 shares @ $25.72, and the value at market close on the day I withdraw the funds is $28.32/share, my capital gains would be ((15.552*$28.32)-$400)=40.43, right? Do I just pull out $440.43 then and deal with it on tax day?

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Remy Marathe posted:

I've got a Roth IRA I started contributing to this year (for 2012 at first). I just got married in October though and and my wife is being stubborn about filing taxes this year as Married Filing Separately. What this appears to mean is that I wouldn't be eligible to contribute to a roth IRA in 2013, and need to pull my 2013 contributions out.

2012: $5000
2013: $400

But the value on the fund has increased as well. If I can't convince her to do MFJ, obviously I need to pull out the $400. But do I then also pull out the gains attributed to that $400, and pay capital gains tax on them come tax time? How do I suss out the amount attributable to that $400?

I was thinking that if that $400 bought 15.552 shares @ $25.72, and the value at market close on the day I withdraw the funds is $28.32/share, my capital gains would be ((15.552*$28.32)-$400)=40.43, right? Do I just pull out $440.43 then and deal with it on tax day?

Hrm. If you contributed that $400 all at once like that, and you sold those same shares when you pulled it out, then I think you have it right. Really, though, this sounds like a question for the tax thread, to be honest. The regulars there are pretty good with the specifics of tax law, and they can also help explain to your wife why Married Filing Separate is (probably) a really dumb idea, especially if it's already causing a pain in the rear end like this.

edit: Actually, one small difference - I suspect the earnings would be taxed as ordinary income, not capital gains, and might have the 10% penalty on top of it.

Kilty Monroe fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 2, 2014

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Yes, MFS doesn't make sense for almost anyone. Why does she think it does?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

It's not really worth going into here, basically she and I don't work together well on the same project and she'd prefer to do her own taxes. Back when it was first discussed I did a dry run with 2012 data and found MFS and MFJ more or less equivalent for us, we both work at roughly the same income level, so it was no skin off my nose to file separately.

I'm lucky I stumbled on this last night, because I never would've dreamed that MFS would cause an effective ban on Roth IRA contributions.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It might seem like path of least resistance now to give in to an unreasonable request like that, but if you guys can't stand to file taxes together, I think things like buying a home or financing kids later will be a real issue.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Oh don't worry, kids are grown, land won't be owned, we argue plenty where it's needed and this will be one of those issues. We've just evolved a system over the years together that combines for the communal things but otherwise keeps our money individually managed. I know it's weird to some couples, but this has avoided far more problems for us than it's caused.

The tax thing just raises a new snag because it's something complicated going from independently managed (where she can do her taxes her way, and she doesn't have me "controlling" it) to a communal thing. Communal means we're going to have to work to make sure the handling of refunds etc. is fair, which means figuring out how to solve it mathematically, which means I'll be doing it, which makes her feel like she's losing agency. With no loss, MFS was not worth arguing over. Now that my retirement eligibility's at stake I'm going to need to make it clear to her what my loss would be, because she'll be losing some independence turning tax day over to me.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I'm looking to make my IRA investment for 2013, and as part of this I'm trying to decide (1) who invest through and (2) whether or not to roll all my existing IRAs into one central location. I currently bank with Wells Fargo (two separate IRA accounts open with them), online account with Ally, 401k through Fidelity, Scottrade as my trading platform.

Any advice on which broker / bank is best for basic investing, whether I should stick with Scottrade, and if I should roll my existing IRAs over into one account?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
Well, ROTH season is open again. Anyone else skittish about making their full contribution after a spade of headlines calling this one of the best bull runs in over decade?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

bam thwok posted:

Well, ROTH season is open again. Anyone else skittish about making their full contribution after a spade of headlines calling this one of the best bull runs in over decade?

God yes. I opened my Roth with a 2012 contribution and to date it's 100% in VTSAX. I'm tearing my hear out trying to decide on adding total bond, total intl stock, or MORE VTSAX

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

bam thwok posted:

Meh, I maxed out 2014 today. No point in trying to time the market. I'm perfectly okay with the fact that the market will dip again in the future, but remember that saving with an IRA or ROTH is playing the long game.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

bam thwok posted:

Exactly what obi_ant said. Quoting fool.com:

quote:

Okay, so when do I buy?

Early and often, to paraphrase the old Chicago voting saw. Seriously, this brings us to the final point I want to stress- market timing is a losing game. The best tool the individual investor has is time, and since most of us aren't starting out with a lot of cash, using a method like dollar cost averaging has shown to be incredibly effective over time. For example, if someone began investing in the RSP fund near its inception in 2003, and religiously invested the same dollar amount every monday, and reinvested every dividend, they would have gained a total return of over 176.9% today.

As an interesting aside, if that same investor invested once per month instead, they would still be up almost exactly the same amount, 176.2% Simply put, adding shares on a consistent, regular basis, versus trying to "get in" at the best price, really pays off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

obi_ant posted:

Meh, I maxed out 2014 today. No point in trying to time the market. I'm perfectly okay with the fact that the market will dip again in the future, but remember that saving with an IRA or ROTH is playing the long game.

I have no reason to believe that I can predict what the market will do in the next few months immediately after I make my contribution. But my lizard brain sees "record high" and gives me the tingling sense that this is a bad moment.

So there's trying to time the market, and then there's trying to time the market. Consistently buying high and missing chances to buy low tend to make one lose the long game.