Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I think the kindest thing I can say for P1 is that it's a product of its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I always thought Fuuka's voice was fine even if the delivery on the more emotionally demanding lines were off, the character never really gets too emotionally unstable for it to really matter. I found it pretty weird though that they just replace her VA with Wendee Lee in P4A, like could they not get a hold of Paual Tiso or did they decide to do something about the reaction to her voice? It's just weird to me that out all of the somewhat mixed reactions to certain voices, only Naoto's voice seemed to return and she actually had a better subsitute from the Persona 4 Anime (Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is so loving waste in the original P4, dammit).

Are you implying that kashiwagi is not a great use of McGlynn

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

One of the great things about Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's Naoto is that she actually does a pretty good job of sounding like a boy. Maybe that twist wouldn't have been so obvious if they got her from the get-go.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?
On the subject of SMT IV, after beating Medusa, you'd think they'd be kind and offer a place to heal up in Tokyo. Am I being a baddie by not finding one, or are they really trying to gently caress you over that hard?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I'm 10 or so hours into P3 FES (I think the date is ~5/26, right after Akihiko comes back and you can take him with you to the Tartarus) and really have no idea what's going on in the story. Like, did I just completely miss a movie or something that explains what's going on?

I realize I live in a dorm with people who are hunting shadows. And that during full moons caskets come out and something happens. Isn't there a site where I can watch the cutscenes in order without spoiling the next ones? I think someone linked something like that before for people with P3P to see the videos. I have no idea how I got so lost. Maybe I was half asleep when I read/watched some of the storyline.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ddogflex posted:

I'm 10 or so hours into P3 FES (I think the date is ~5/26, right after Akihiko comes back and you can take him with you to the Tartarus) and really have no idea what's going on in the story. Like, did I just completely miss a movie or something that explains what's going on?

I realize I live in a dorm with people who are hunting shadows. And that during full moons caskets come out and something happens. Isn't there a site where I can watch the cutscenes in order without spoiling the next ones? I think someone linked something like that before for people with P3P to see the videos. I have no idea how I got so lost. Maybe I was half asleep when I read/watched some of the storyline.

No, you haven't missed anything. P3 has awful pacing and what's really going on won't be explained for another couple months. And even then, you're going to get a dose of plot at the full moon, then basically nothing for the rest of the month.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Gishin posted:

On the subject of SMT IV, after beating Medusa, you'd think they'd be kind and offer a place to heal up in Tokyo. Am I being a baddie by not finding one, or are they really trying to gently caress you over that hard?

There's a place in the underground you can pay to be healed. And a transporter you can take back to use the barracks. But you have to fight some demons to unlock it.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

Joshlemagne posted:

There's a place in the underground you can pay to be healed. And a transporter you can take back to use the barracks. But you have to fight some demons to unlock it.

Guess I missed it. I found the pharmacy and the black market, but no "inn" so to speak.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

Artix posted:

No, you haven't missed anything. P3 has awful pacing and what's really going on won't be explained for another couple months. And even then, you're going to get a dose of plot at the full moon, then basically nothing for the rest of the month.

I still don't quite understand how evokers work, or why Yukari was angsting over it in the intro. And do Personas only work in the Tv World or in the Dark Hour? If so, why was she messing around with an evoker in the afternoon anyway?

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Gishin posted:

Guess I missed it. I found the pharmacy and the black market, but no "inn" so to speak.

I think it was in the bar. There's an option to rest for 100 macca or something like that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gishin posted:

I still don't quite understand how evokers work, or why Yukari was angsting over it in the intro. And do Personas only work in the Tv World or in the Dark Hour? If so, why was she messing around with an evoker in the afternoon anyway?
Yukari's issues will be explained later, and Evokers work by triggering a visceral reaction in the user that triggers the persona. Even if you know it's fake, putting a fake gun to your head and pulling the trigger is gonna shock you a little.

Personas only work in the TV World/Dark Hour, and she wasn't messing around with it in the afternoon - she was messing around with it minutes before the dark hour.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It makes more sense when you realize that they're real guns in the original version (or so I was told).

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Endorph posted:

Yukari's issues will be explained later, and Evokers work by triggering a visceral reaction in the user that triggers the persona. Even if you know it's fake, putting a fake gun to your head and pulling the trigger is gonna shock you a little.

Personas only work in the TV World/Dark Hour, and she wasn't messing around with it in the afternoon - she was messing around with it minutes before the dark hour.

They're real guns (modified Sturm Ruger Mk3, .22LR), just unloaded. Unless you're playing the English version, in which case they are just supposed to "look like guns".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It makes more sense when you realize that they're real guns in the original version (or so I was told).
I haven't heard that rumor before but I don't think they were - for one thing the fan translation of the manga has them as fake too. Not to mention in Persona 4 Arena a reseacher mentions that fear and self-preservation are key to manifesting a persona - it's why Yu in P4 got Izanagi when he was about to be eaten by weird tongue dudes. The evoker is shaped like a gun to trick the user's brain into going 'holy poo poo im gonna die.' I'm not sure if it's just a placebo effect or there's any hard science to how it works, they don't go that in-depth on it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Artix posted:

Ok, awesome, thanks. I played P4G before this and I definitely knew what the hell was going on by the same point in that game, so I assumed I was just lost. Now maybe I'll actually play it instead of talking myself out of it because I didn't think I knew what was going on.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Endorph posted:

I haven't heard that rumor before but I don't think they were - for one thing the fan translation of the manga has them as fake too. Not to mention in Persona 4 Arena a reseacher mentions that fear and self-preservation are key to manifesting a persona - it's why Yu in P4 got Izanagi when he was about to be eaten by weird tongue dudes. The evoker is shaped like a gun to trick the user's brain into going 'holy poo poo im gonna die.' I'm not sure if it's just a placebo effect or there's any hard science to how it works, they don't go that in-depth on it.

I don't know nothin about no fan translated manga, but in both the Japanese language game and the design/concept files (from the various artbooks) they are real, unloaded guns.

(if you can't read it, it says "Base design comes from Sturm Ruger Mk3" just above the weapon)

Pulling the trigger represents the death of the ego so that the Persona can rise to the surface.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

I beat P3P and still didn't get it. And it looked like late afternoon to me. I'll have to look again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN posted:

(if you can't read it, it says "Base design comes from Sturm Ruger Mk3" just above the weapon)
That doesn't mean they're real guns? They're saying the design is based on a Sturm Ruger Mk3, not that it *is* a Sturm Ruger Mk3.

Fair enough if you've played the original Japanese game, though.

Gishin posted:

I beat P3P and still didn't get it.

Her stuff about her dad.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Endorph posted:

That doesn't mean they're real guns? They're saying the design is based on a Sturm Ruger Mk3, not that it *is* a Sturm Ruger Mk3.

Fair enough if you've played the original Japanese game, though.

Her stuff about her dad.

Sorry I don't have any english sources for you, the best I can do are some pages that reiterate what I've said - the problem is that the english language game refers to Evokers as "looking like guns" while the japanese version refers to the "summoning device" (shoukanki) as guns, but "don't worry, they're not loaded". They're never referred to as fakes or replicas, which is the the large departure that the english editor took for whatever reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ahh, makes enough sense. It's a weird decision since the game's rated M and there was already a bit of controversy about the gun thing either way.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Endorph posted:

Ahh, makes enough sense. It's a weird decision since the game's rated M and there was already a bit of controversy about the gun thing either way.

Since civilian gun ownership is absolutely illegal in Japan, schoolkids having them is supposed to be a serious thing; this is why the flashback cutscene in The Answer where Mitsuru invites Akihiko to join SEES makes less sense in English. She shows him the gun to show him that her operation is very real and that she is serious. In the english version, I think some players thought she was making the summoning device gun-shaped in order to get his attention. It's actually the other way around.

The shoukanki are modified by the Kirijo Corporation, but I can't find anything about whether or not the functionality is modified - just the looks (bull barrel, grips, etc).

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

I'm not sure if it's just a placebo effect or there's any hard science to how it works, they don't go that in-depth on it.

Akihiko says that an evoker isn't necessary to summon a persona if your will is strong or something like that during his storymode in P4A, and the only reason he uses his is because it made a dramatic point to his speech against his shadow.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

Don Gato posted:

Akihiko says that an evoker isn't necessary to summon a persona if your will is strong or something like that during his storymode in P4A, and the only reason he uses his is because it made a dramatic point to his speech against his shadow.

Which resparks the debate about who is the bigger badass. P3 MC or Yu?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Gishin posted:

So this is where those people came when the atlus forums shut down.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Additionally, there's a(n optional) scene in Persona 3 that shows it's possible to summon a Persona outside the Dark Hour. It's just easier to do during the Dark Hour/in the TV World because you're closer to the collective unconscious of mankind.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

Additionally, there's a(n optional) scene in Persona 3 that shows it's possible to summon a Persona outside the Dark Hour. It's just easier to do during the Dark Hour/in the TV World because you're closer to the collective unconscious of mankind.

Where do they say this in P3? I haven't played in ages and I thought I had seen everything, but this is new to me.

EDIT: VVVVVVV Ahhhh, ok, I don't think I ever failed that part so I never saw that scene.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 2, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Don Gato posted:

Where do they say this in P3? I haven't played in ages and I thought I had seen everything, but this is new to me.

During the school trip, when the girls go to use the hot springs and the guys sneak in to peep at them. If you fail to get the guys out without getting caught as the Male MC (or if you actually manage to catch the guys as the Female MC in P3P), Mitsuru will be outraged at their behavior and summon her Persona to freeze them all in a block of ice as punishment.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Also, in the success route (or maybe both), Fuuka also mentions the heat is interfering with her scanning ability.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei's girlfriend is also almost strangled to death by her own Persona while in the hospital. It's implied that all of the Strega guys + Shinjiro face the same problem.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rise mentions she can't scan during the class trip, though, which seems inconsistent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

Rise mentions she can't scan during the class trip, though, which seems inconsistent.

The P4 dudes also crush tarot cards to summon their poo poo inside a magic TV so they're probably not functioning on the same ruleset.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Is that really what Mitsuru does? I know that theory goes around a lot, but it seems weirdly out of character for her to bust out her Persona like that, especially against a civilian like Ryoji.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's from the manga, I think. Its status as canon is rather debatable.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ImpAtom posted:

The P4 dudes also crush tarot cards to summon their poo poo inside a magic TV so they're probably not functioning on the same ruleset.

The way P4A shows it, I think they actually are abiding by the same rules. The way I see it, the P4 cast is just using more advanced technology.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

MrAristocrates posted:

Theory is that the P4 cast can't summon it outside of the TV world, possibly due to the different method of acquisition.

Fuuka's also grown strong enough to summon her Persona in the real world and use it to scan the TV world during P4A.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gishin posted:

I don't know, I'm pretty sure Yu can beat a door.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Momomo posted:

The way P4A shows it, I think they actually are abiding by the same rules. The way I see it, the P4 cast is just using more advanced technology.
There was something special about the TV world that seemingly makes it easier to summon. In I believe Akihiko's route it's shown that he summons his persona without using the evoker as soon as he thought about wanting his persona to come out, which seemed to surprise him.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nate RFB posted:

There was something special about the TV world that seemingly makes it easier to summon. In I believe Akihiko's route it's shown that he summons his persona without using the evoker as soon as he thought about wanting his persona to come out, which seemed to surprise him.

Mitsuru's too, I believe.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

What I like is that each cast independently develops a different method of interacting with what's essentially the same magic. One group is given it by an uber-persona representing mankind's nobler drives to fight an avatar of the evil drives we refuse to acknowledge. The next group summons with tech designed to evoke their fear of death to force out their personas to fight an entity that represents mankind's desire to die. The Investigation Team Seekers of Truth get their personas by giving up comforting ignorance to acknowledge THE TRUTH and fight a final boss who represents guess-loving-what.

The summon-in-real-life thing probably works because in the Personaverse reality and the Universal Unconscious are inseparably connected, even if they are constantly kept a safe distance apart by anime teenagers.

What I'm saying is that while Carl Jung was a pretty terrible psychologist he would have made a badass demon-summoning warlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Microcline posted:

What I'm saying is that while Carl Jung was a pretty terrible psychologist he would have made a badass demon-summoning warlock.

Who says he wasn't? :colbert:

Only one more social rank with my psychologist and I'll be able to summon my persona! :suicide: