Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
What's up with the Isuzu Trooper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

Astonishing Wang posted:

What's up with the Isuzu Trooper?

1996 SE, 5 speed manual, part time 4WD, jump seat in rear, hosed engine. Dad paid the tall fuzzy-haired guy from a few pages back to "rebuild" it. He took it apart, put all the bolts in the same box, and disappeared :2bong:. It either needs a good rebuild or a used engine, but they're all over the place.

Will tow anywhere in the SF Bay Area for cost of diesel.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ironblock posted:

And as I continued my journey down the garages, I spied more cool stuff.

B-but... it's p-probably just an automatic...

Ok, this is driving me nuts, what car is this? It's not an S13 or Z31, and I've been sitting here staring at it trying to place what it is and it's not coming to me.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
BMW 8-series.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
8 series bmw

e: gently caress!

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Hey Guys, It's a BMW 8 Series.
Also known as an 8 Series BMW.

Or a Car defined as being part of the 8xx series, probably an 840i or 850i made by the Bavarian Motorworks.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's an E31, how does the super duper bmw enthusiast not know this

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rscott posted:

It's an E31, how does the super duper bmw enthusiast not know this

Probably because the OP is Datsun obsessed, leading me to focus my thinking on only Japanese cars with pop up headlights. :downs:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Little did you know, I love all cars with pop up headlights, especially when they have V12s.

I can't remember the specifics, but my autistic BMW-obsessed friend went NUTS when he saw it. I think it may have been the CSi, or something similarly uncommon.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ironblock posted:

Little did you know, I love all cars with pop up headlights, especially when they have V12s.

I can't remember the specifics, but my autistic BMW-obsessed friend went NUTS when he saw it. I think it may have been the CSi, or something similarly uncommon.

I know a guy with an 850csi, it's been sitting under this tree for months to years I think:

Sorry for the lovely picture, I was trying to take the pic surreptitiously.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I saw a guy with an 8 series at the gas station and I wanted to talk to him about how awesome it was but I saw the anguish in his eyes and I knew just to say "nice car" and move on.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

8ender posted:

I saw a guy with an 8 series at the gas station and I wanted to talk to him about how awesome it was but I saw the anguish in his eyes and I knew just to say "nice car" and move on.

True story, though. The first time I drove a Roadster anywhere, I stopped at a gas station and felt like I was in a bad zombie movie. Suddenly, every person over 45 in a thirty foot radius was swarming me and the car. They all wanted to ask me about it and tell me about the one they (or their friend) had in high school. It's impossible to use a Roadster to get groceries, because you will never make it to the store.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Switch "Roadster" with "Opel GT" and it holds true. Something about driving uncommon small cars that should've rusted away by now.

Well, that, or old fucks who can't see past the hood of their land barge literally parking their bumper over yours at a gas station despite you standing there and yelling / waving.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Switch Roadster to any 60's or 70's motorcycle in nice shape. Every time you stop for gas you get a few middle aged guys telling you how they used to have one before they crashed it/sold it when they decided to ruin their lives with marriage, kids and a lovely soul sucking job. All you can do is smile and try to ignore the sadness.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Royal Enfield problems.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
A middle aged man chased me in my 240z to sell me parts once.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Bugdrvr posted:

Switch Roadster to any 60's or 70's motorcycle in nice shape. Every time you stop for gas you get a few middle aged guys telling you how they used to have one before they crashed it/sold it when they decided to ruin their lives with marriage, kids and a lovely soul sucking job. All you can do is smile and try to ignore the sadness.

And remember, in 10 years you'll be that guy!

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
It once took me 15 minutes to walk out of a restaurant and into my Mini because I was stopped by 5 separate people.

The no holds barred spending in this thread is satisfying my urge to dump money into my own projects and for that I thank you.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

The no holds barred spending in this thread is satisfying my urge to dump money into my own projects and for that I thank you.

I've been keeping a spreadsheet in Google docs, and I'll share it once I catch up with the present day. It costs a shocking amount of money to do this stuff thoroughly. I could have bought a LOT of other cars for what I've paid so far.

It's a slippery slope, too. You reach this tipping point where the car is more right than wrong, and you consider reusing some trim piece or emblem and your palms start sweating because the original part isn't perfect, and everything else is. I bought a used original AM radio that I have no idea how to make "right", especially because I only want it for aesthetics. It's a rusted piece of poo poo and I think I paid $120. This is a kind of madness you can only comprehend if you experience it firsthand.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ironblock posted:

It's a slippery slope, too. You reach this tipping point where the car is more right than wrong, and you consider reusing some trim piece or emblem and your palms start sweating because the original part isn't perfect, and everything else is. I bought a used original AM radio that I have no idea how to make "right", especially because I only want it for aesthetics. It's a rusted piece of poo poo and I think I paid $120. This is a kind of madness you can only comprehend if you experience it firsthand.

That strikes a chord with me, I was shopping for a direct fit radio to replace the AM only radio in my pickup that barely worked, and one day I decided it was OK to cut the dash to put a DIN radio in, as the truck only has value to me. Ever since then I've stopped caring about original.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ironblock posted:

I've been keeping a spreadsheet in Google docs, and I'll share it once I catch up with the present day. It costs a shocking amount of money to do this stuff thoroughly. I could have bought a LOT of other cars for what I've paid so far.

Gut the AM radio and just put in a cheap eBay amplifier and line in/iPod in. :getin:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Phone posted:

Gut the AM radio and just put in a cheap eBay amplifier and line in/iPod in. :getin:

I have really weird feelings about this car. The idea of leaving some piece of the original equipment broken or replacing it with something newer really bothers me in some cases. I don't know how to explain it in terms of lines and rules.

IGNITION SYSTEM SPOILERS/EXAMPLES: I'm using the solid state ignition coil from a 300ZX Turbo because I could easily adapt it, had one lying around, and it looked cool. I'm using the alternator from a Camaro because it was big and I don't have to have an external voltage regulator. The distributor is the original one, but I've retrofitted it with a Crane XR3000, because the spark must flow.

But even though there are things about the original design that I considered to be weak and worthy of complete replacement, I tried as hard as possible to keep the intent the same. SUs to HSRs, period correct Japanese racing wheels, even the exhaust is... similar. I just want everything up to 11.

My current plan is to restore the looks of the radio (which works!), and hook it up to an amp, but with an interrupt in the line that feeds to a regular stereo jack, so that it's on AM only unless I connect an audio player. I also plan to fit two 6.5" speakers in the rear, and two smaller ones somewhere in the front. I haven't worked out what the bracketing for that will look like, and I'll probably start with just the 6.5"s. My experience with convertibles has been that you need really badass speakers if you're going to hear anything.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Or you could put a second head unit somewhere discreet and use a remote control to drive it.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

IPCRESS posted:

Or you could put a second head unit somewhere discreet and use a remote control to drive it.

Finding space for more things in the car is not easy, and I don't really need a head unit. I don't own any CDs, I don't want to own any CDs, and everything about modern head units just enrages me. The only good feature on any of them is USB/SDHC input, and honestly... The aux jack is all you really need. My phone connected to Spotify/Soundcloud/Google Play/FM Radio contains all the music I own and more. There's no need to put a glorified CD player in my car, just to get an aux jack.

Besides, usually I drive and guests pick music. All they care about is the aux jack, too.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

http://www.rediscoveradio.com/

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Modulators are OK as a last resort, but nowhere near as good as an actual line-level input.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That, or somewhere else there is someone making stock appearing two post radios that have Bluetooth and aux in and the whole nine yards. Can't remember who at the moment, but they are fairly reasonably priced given what they are.

If they had existed 13 years ago when we cut the dash of my truck, I probably would've gone that route. Mostly because I'd rather have the vintage look, not that I am any sort of slave to 43 year old factory spec.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

It runs inline with the antenna, so it's not as janky as the transmitters.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

dubzee posted:

It runs inline with the antenna, so it's not as janky as the transmitters.

No, but it's still an RF modulator. You still lose fidelity. It's not as bad as the transmitters that have their own antennas, but they're certainly no replacement for an actual line in if you have the ability.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Raluek posted:

No, but it's still an RF modulator. You still lose fidelity. It's not as bad as the transmitters that have their own antennas, but they're certainly no replacement for an actual line in if you have the ability.

You're talking about 200kHz worth of bandwidth here. If you can hear the difference, you have been spending way too much time listening to music and not enough time using an angle grinder/wire wheel/impact driver on your car. :colbert:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

You're talking about 200kHz worth of bandwidth here. If you can hear the difference, you have been spending way too much time listening to music and not enough time using an angle grinder/wire wheel/impact driver on your car. :colbert:

Maybe it's just that the ones I've been exposed to suck. But, you're right, I am always a sissy about earpro.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

More importantly, you're talking about that going into a very, very old radio. Presumably a lot of people running said radio are also going to be running original speaker(s), or at least limited to the factory location they can hide one in.

The dinky rear end speaker I pulled out of my GMC recently, for example, is going to sound like dogshit whether you feed it with real power or China's worst. No speaker that fits there is going to make the difference between 96kbps MP3s or FLAC, let alone modulator versus line in.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

More importantly, you're talking about that going into a very, very old radio. Presumably a lot of people running said radio are also going to be running original speaker(s), or at least limited to the factory location they can hide one in.

The dinky rear end speaker I pulled out of my GMC recently, for example, is going to sound like dogshit whether you feed it with real power or China's worst. No speaker that fits there is going to make the difference between 96kbps MP3s or FLAC, let alone modulator versus line in.

That's a good point. All the more reason to just use a tiny solid state amp tucked away somewhere separate from the original radio!

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Raluek posted:

That's a good point. All the more reason to just use a tiny solid state amp tucked away somewhere separate from the original radio!

That's the plan. I figure since the original radio is mostly just for a combination of show and "see, it works!", all I really need is an 1/8" jack going to an amp, with the radio connected in more or less the same way. Turn one off, turn the other on, Bob's your uncle, music everywhere. Probably I'll run the cable up into the center console. That way it's completely hidden.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Switch "Roadster" with "Opel GT" and it holds true. Something about driving uncommon small cars that should've rusted away by now.

Well, that, or old fucks who can't see past the hood of their land barge literally parking their bumper over yours at a gas station despite you standing there and yelling / waving.

Hahaha, do you know someone locally with a red one? I saw an Opel GT at the McChevron at FLW/Shea by my house last week - never seen one around before.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

ironblock posted:

Probably I'll run the cable up into the center console. That way it's completely hidden.

Hide this somewhere.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Hahaha, do you know someone locally with a red one? I saw an Opel GT at the McChevron at FLW/Shea by my house last week - never seen one around before.

I wish, I want to pick one up again but realistically that's not going to happen anytime soon since I can't seem to fit the amount of stuff I have in my garage in enough room to leave space for my truck and any other car, even the teeny little Opel.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

I just caught "the process" in action. I'm rewriting Twitter Bootstrap's CSS file from first principles because everything LESS generates is total poo poo. So that means I need a sanity project, so I decided I would make a virtual Nixie tube clock in CSS, no images, and minimal Javascript. That got me looking up reference images of Nixie tubes, which eventually led me to realize that they look kind of like vacuum tubes, which made me realize that a modern, solid-state amp maybe isn't really in keeping with the original vibe of the Roadster.

So now I'm thinking that maybe I need a vacuum tube amp in the Roadster. Thoughts?

http://www.butleraudio.com/tdb275.php

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

ironblock posted:

So now I'm thinking that maybe I need a vacuum tube amp in the Roadster. Thoughts?

http://www.butleraudio.com/tdb275.php

Seems like an eccentric choice -- less efficient, prone to being broken, plus you can't SEE the drat tube.

Now if you had something like this mounted to the center console somewhere...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Stardotstar posted:

Seems like an eccentric choice -- less efficient, prone to being broken, plus you can't SEE the drat tube.

It's sorta like... the more impractical and convoluted my solution to the problem is, the happier it will make me. I like the thought that I could be flying around a corner thinking "Gee I hope this doesn't hurt the vacuum tubes". It's fundamentally absurd, and I'm becoming more convinced minute by minute.

• Locked thread