Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Question for the thread, because I am sick of hearing about Kickstarter drama:

What do you think is the worst Classic Series miniboss, and why?
I forget which stage is , but the miniboss in megaman 8 where you're falling down a waterfall. It constantly destroys the platforms you're on so you're spend mos of the time falling and it just rams into you as you cant dodge it. Its also either above or below you and none of the first 4 weapons you get or megaball can actually hit it.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnFCv6uAGb8&t=148s
This fucker, at the 2:30 mark. Named Gorone according to MMKB

Tengames fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Vanquish is practically like a 3D Mega Man X game, what with you dashing around everywhere and fighting huge robot bosses.

It plays like a 3D Contra, but with a new weapons system and art style, it would make a fantastic Mega Man game.

The difficulty in making a reboot would be keeping the tone. That prototype with the blue Master Chief that played in first person would be very difficult to make into a game that felt like Mega Man. The tone is why Symphony of the Night feels more like a Castlevania game than Lords of Shadow, despite having a completely different style of gameplay to the originals.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Not in the slightest. Capcom got everyone's hopes up in a big way, I think feeling betrayed just before the release of a demo to feel out fan interest is perfectly justified.
I just don't understand how anyone could still care about legends, period. I don't think they were even very good games in the first place, but either way... gotta let it go sometime. Like I think Pokemon Snap, Psychonauts, Grim Fandango, God Hand, etc. all really deserve but I'm not gonna spend my time pining over them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

From the very start the idea of Legends was "this game probably isn't going to sell, we're going to gauge fan interest to see if it would actually sell because one of the higher ups in the company is willing to push for it as a vanity project." And then that higher up left the company and the people left behind had absolutely no reason to invest time or development budget in a game that was 90% an assured failure.

But the problem was that people'd already seen MML3 and so they were convinced it was already a full product in full swing which got cancelled entirely when even the basic idea was "we're going to put out a demo and if it does well we'll consider making the game."

It's understandable to be upset that the game you wanted isn't coming out but the response from the fandom was acting like Capcom strangled a surefire hit in the crib out of pure spite or something ridiculous like that. I love Mega Man games but aside from the .exe/Star Force games (and maybe 9/10, their numbers are harder to find), no Mega Man game in recent memory has sold particularly well, and the Dash/Legends franchise did worse than most.

(From what I've been able to find, literally the only Mega Man game to do over a million copies in recent memory is loving Battle Network 4, if you want to be really depressed. It murdered that franchise and both 5 and 6 did half of what 4 did. The last one prior to that was Mega Man X1.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 31, 2013

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

senae posted:

The rock miniboss from crystal man's stage in mm9 is by far my least favourite. If I could slide it would be OK, as it is I die twice trying to get past the thing every time.

It's frustrating it is.

Feed it Hornet Chasers, Plug Balls, or Tornado Blow.

Tengames posted:

I forget which stage is , but the miniboss in megaman 8 where you're falling down a waterfall. It constantly destroys the platforms you're on so you're spend mos of the time falling and it just rams into you as you cant dodge it. Its also either above or below you and none of the first 4 weapons you get or megaball can actually hit it.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnFCv6uAGb8&t=148s
This fucker, at the 2:30 mark. Named Gorone according to MMKB

Flash Bomb or Astro Crush.

Seriously people, use your god drat weapons.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

The entire thing was entirely based on the concept of "having the fans work together to bring the series back", so when the project got canned before the demo to gague interest even came out, fans felt like they didn't even get a chance to try.(and capcom was gonna totally make millions and see how aweosme a moneymaker megaman is guys). There was a lot of effort at first to try to get them to uncancel it, but it has long since died out.

It was also when the 3ds was still experiencing a drought of games,and a couple of people got 3ds systems just for it( admittingly me included, but I've since found some other great games to play on it)

Star Man posted:

Feed it Hornet Chasers, Plug Balls, or Tornado Blow.

Flash Bomb or Astro Crush.

Seriously people, use your god drat weapons.
I keep forgeting flash bomb does decent damage on minibosses because its a multi hit attack and I just assume the hits are lost to enemy hit invincibility.And you save Astro Crush for Aquaman.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 31, 2013

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I'd assume the timing has a lot to do with it. Unlimited was cancelled not long beforehand, the Online project went quiet (and turned out to have been canned too), no iteration of the Blue Bomber was in MvC3 and there was absolutely nothing else on the horizon for the franchise. Then X-Over just added salt to the wound, and the only thing of note to have happened since was Mega Man being in the new Smash Bros.

People probably still hold a grudge over Legends 3 because they see it as representative of Capcom spontaneously deciding they hate the franchise.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tengames posted:

I keep forgeting flash bomb does decent damage on minibosses because its a multi hit attack and I just assume the hits are lost to enemy hit invincibility.And you save Astro Crush for Aquaman.

I believe that your weapons replenish when you transition to the second half of each stage. Either way, there's plenty of weapon energy that the game gives you that you should be able to reach Aquaman with a full stock again. You do know that the big energy refills the big surprise balloons drop will refill your selected weapon entirely, right?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Inafune leaving was definitely the biggest nail in that coffin. When the head of what is very clearly a pet project leaves, it's not surprising that said pet project gets shut down. If he stayed we definitely would have seen the demo at the very least.

And since it sounds like the people that were passionate about Mega Man at Capcom have all jumped ship, it sure as hell isn't surprising that Mega Man games would be put on hold; like ImpAtom said it has been a long time since a Mega Man game sold well and when you have nobody pushing for it, they're just going to look at it in terms of how much money it will make.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I hate the miniboss in Hornet Man's stage. The flower in the spike clock thing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I hate the miniboss in Hornet Man's stage. The flower in the spike clock thing.
Me too. In fact, I hate nearly all minibosses in MM9 and 10, and you don't need to tell me to use weapons, I do all the time. They still take just too long to be frustrating and tedious, the entire lot, and I feel they are just too difficult to be fun - deal lots of damage, aren't particularily easy to dodge, the works.

Cat from Top Man would be a great example for how to make a miniboss in my opinion, actually (was surprised someone earlier mentioned it as the worst). It takes ten shots to down, that's nothing. You can easily spam three per jump, and it'll take a bit to release the first ball of yarn, so if you're quick, you'll only have to dodge once. You do have to dodge at least once, though, which is okay - it doesn't need to be a flowbreaking 2-minute dance affair.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Whelp for the very first time in the twenty-nine years I have been on this planet I have played my very first Megam Man game, I was reading this thread and checking out the Mighty No 9 Kickstarter wanting to see what I had been missing so I downloaded Mega man II on the 3DS. I was told that was the best place to start and I have to say it's pretty challenging and I enjoy using different weapons to get through some parts of the game are super tough, thank god for save states. It's great fun and I'm about to complete it. Out of the classic NES titles which one should I look in to next or are their any I should outright avoid?

Ronnie fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 1, 2014

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Ronnie posted:

Whelp for the very first time in the twenty-nine years I have been on this planet I have played my very first Megam Man game, I was reading this thread and checking out the Mighty No 9 Kickstarter wanting to see what I had been missing so I downloaded Mega man II on the 3DS. I was told that was the best place to start and I have to say it's pretty challenging and I enjoy using different weapons to get through some parts of the game are super tough, thank god for save states. It's great fun and I'm about to complete it. Out of the classic NES titles which one should I look in to next or are their any I should outright avoid?
They're all at least okay. MM1 is pretty rough, but I think you can still have fun with it.

Are the Game Boy titles on 3DS? If so, starting from MMIII, they're fantastic and IV and V are strictly better than any of the NES games (imho).

SamuraiSnake
Jul 1, 2010

Ronnie posted:

Out of the classic NES titles which one should I look in to next or are their any I should outright avoid?

Play Megaman 3 next, it builds on the strengths of Megaman 2 and refines the platforming. Actually, play them all. Although Megaman 4, 5 and 6 barely attempt anything new and may be the same game as Megaman 3,, they are all solid titles.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Play all of the NES ones. Mega Man 3 is the best Mega Man game that was ever made. Going back to Mega Man 1 after 2 might be a bit jarring though.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Simply Simon posted:

Me too. In fact, I hate nearly all minibosses in MM9 and 10, and you don't need to tell me to use weapons, I do all the time. They still take just too long to be frustrating and tedious, the entire lot, and I feel they are just too difficult to be fun - deal lots of damage, aren't particularily easy to dodge, the works.

Cat from Top Man would be a great example for how to make a miniboss in my opinion, actually (was surprised someone earlier mentioned it as the worst). It takes ten shots to down, that's nothing. You can easily spam three per jump, and it'll take a bit to release the first ball of yarn, so if you're quick, you'll only have to dodge once. You do have to dodge at least once, though, which is okay - it doesn't need to be a flowbreaking 2-minute dance affair.

Mega Man 9 and 10 had hard minibosses, which I like because they are challenging enough to actually earn that title unlike the minibosses in 4, 5 and 6 which are usually non-threatening and just take forever to kill. I think the only thing wrong with 9 and 10 minibosses is that they are always immediately before the checkpoints so when you die you have to do the entire first half of the stage again.

Most frustrating miniboss for me is those soccer ball dudes in Strike Man's stage. They're far too chaotic. Luckily, Triple Blade shreds them.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
Eh, other than that loving hornet flower thing, I don't remember the mini bosses of MM9 being that hard. The dragon thing was a joke and the boulder is annoying at first, but it's really easy to get used to it, same goes for the elephant boss.

TheEggsBenedict fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 1, 2014

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ronnie posted:

Out of the classic NES titles which one should I look in to next or are their any I should outright avoid?

I'd definitely recommend MM3 next, it's one of the best.
As for games to avoid, I'd maybe skip MM5 and MM6, and definitely skip the first two gameboy games.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Simply Simon posted:

I didn't read the post properly, I actually meant the cat was the best one.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
For anyone that has beaten Mega Man Rock Force:

I somehow can't get past this invisible wall around the 4th Justice Fortress stage, and I've tried everything trying to get past this obstacle. Can anyone help me?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Thwack! posted:

For anyone that has beaten Mega Man Rock Force:

I somehow can't get past this invisible wall around the 4th Justice Fortress stage, and I've tried everything trying to get past this obstacle. Can anyone help me?

If memory serves, go back- you climb up a ladder from below.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

I'd definitely recommend MM3 next, it's one of the best.
As for games to avoid, I'd maybe skip MM5 and MM6, and definitely skip the first two gameboy games.

Seriously play Mega Man 3. Most fans of the series argue it's better than 2.

After that, I'd say the best game is Mega Man X.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I want to say MM3 is the best too because the slide + unchargable buster is the best combination but... does the game's controls feel kinda unresponsive for anyone else? As in just turning around is slower than in MM2 or any other game?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Petiso posted:

I want to say MM3 is the best too because the slide + unchargable buster is the best combination but... does the game's controls feel kinda unresponsive for anyone else? As in just turning around is slower than in MM2 or any other game?

Personally I hate how jumping feels in basically every NES MM game and 2 and 3 are some of the worst about it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Petiso posted:

Turning around is, in fact, way slower in 3 than normal. It's awful, and I'm shocked in this world of patches on patches nobody fixed it.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I tell every newcomer to the series to play 2 and 3 then jump directly to Megaman X. X represents the absolute pinnacle of the series and still sets the standard for action games today if you ask me.

Just be aware that X has some unexpected new moves. Try something you wouldn't normally think of doing if you become stuck early on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Personally I hate how jumping feels in basically every NES MM game and 2 and 3 are some of the worst about it.

MM1 has extremely weird gravity and you actually don't stop on a dime like in every other MM, so the platforming is really painful and unfun. The shooting is still cool, though.

My vote for worst mini-boss goes to those elephants in Concrete Man's stage. Sucking me into a hole isn't fair, drat it. And you have to fight 3 of them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

That loving Sned posted:

It plays like a 3D Contra, but with a new weapons system and art style, it would make a fantastic Mega Man game.

The difficulty in making a reboot would be keeping the tone. That prototype with the blue Master Chief that played in first person would be very difficult to make into a game that felt like Mega Man. The tone is why Symphony of the Night feels more like a Castlevania game than Lords of Shadow, despite having a completely different style of gameplay to the originals.

I think the only way to translate Megaman to 3D without turning it into Quake would be to use Metroid Prime as a template.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Seriously play Mega Man 3. Most fans of the series argue it's better than 2.

After that, I'd say the best game is Mega Man X.

2-3-4-X are the best the series has.

I'm not sure what my least favorite miniboss is but my least favorite final boss is without a doubt MM2's stupid alien.

Oh you don't have bubble lead left? Sorry pal.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 2, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I think the only way to translate Megaman to 3D without turning it into Quake would be to use Metroid Prime as a template.

As a matter of fact, the people that made that FPS prototype were ex-Retro folks that worked on Metroid Prime.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

2-3-4-X are the best the series has.

I'm not sure what my least favorite miniboss is but my least favorite final boss is without a doubt MM2's stupid alien.

Oh you don't have bubble lead left? Sorry pal.

Why wouldn't you have Bubble Lead left? You can't lose it except by using it, and it's Bubble Lead.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's still a pretty big design flaw. And it's hardly the only boss to suffer from that flaw (the boss that requires Crash Man's bombs probably holds the record for the worst designed fight in the classic Mega Man games).

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Dabir posted:

Why wouldn't you have Bubble Lead left? You can't lose it except by using it, and it's Bubble Lead.

It doesnt refill if you die and there's nothing to grind weapon energy before the fight. It also completely heals itself if you hit it with the buster, and it does a large amount of touch damage that can 2 shot you iirc, which is a problem if you dont know its pattern since you need to get close to hit it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^ If you spend your ammo in one attempt and then die, you're hosed. Gotta just die until you can load your password.

Srice posted:

It's still a pretty big design flaw. And it's hardly the only boss to suffer from that flaw (the boss that requires Crash Man's bombs probably holds the record for the worst designed fight in the classic Mega Man games).

I don't consider that a 'boss' so much as a 'trap', or else that'd be my least favorite.

You know what lets just go ahead and change my vote. I loving hate that level. Its even worse because its not just "you don't have any crash ammo", its so bad that simply missing fucks you.

Once you've beaten it its not hard to do it again, but its so frustrating at first. Ugggggggggh.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Why DOES the Crash Bomber have so little ammo anyway? It doesn't beat too many bosses, there are barely any places for it to knock down walls, it fires pretty slowly in one direction. It just doesn't seem good enough to justify such a harsh ammo limit.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Because Megaman 2 isn't actually very well-made in general.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

IronicDongz posted:

Because Megaman 2 isn't actually very well-made in general.
They were pretty much just throwing poo poo at the wall for the first three games.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

senae posted:

The rock miniboss from crystal man's stage in mm9 is by far my least favourite. If I could slide it would be OK, as it is I die twice trying to get past the thing every time.

It's frustrating it is.

If you mean the one in Jewel Man's stage, then yeah, that thing was always a major hurdle. It doesn't help that it's right after a tricky jump involving those swinging platforms and spikes that can be a pain if you haven't gotten Concrete Man's weapon yet, or that if you die you have to start over from the very beginning of the stage, since the mid-level checkpoint is right after it.

Though there is a trick to make it slightly easier - if you look up at the ceiling after he goes back up there, you can tell where he's going to drop from next from the rubble he kicks up while moving through the ceiling. Then you can give yourself enough room to jump over him after he drops down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In the case of Mega Man 2, the Crash Bomb actually seems to have so little ammo entirely to facilitate that boss. It's clear they wanted to make a "puzzle" boss where the challenge is in using the proper amount of shots and they seem to have tuned and adjusted Crash Bomb entirely for that single fight without considering how crappy it is if you don't solve the puzzle.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Ah so that's why I didn't enjoy that boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The sting from Boobeam Trap would have not been so bad if the check point was a little further in to the stage and the enemies that you have to farm weapon energy from weren't so tough already.

I'm weird and am okay with trap rooms like this that are meant to get you once or twice while you try to figure out a way through, though I think an alternative to Crash Bomber would have been better. I imagine that there would have been if there had been a sequel to Mega Man Powered Up.