Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I loved Consider Phlebas but it wasn't my first Culture book; I don't think I'd have enjoyed it nearly as much if it had been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I think it's fine for people to start with Consider Phlebas (I did) but if you must skip it and start somewhere, else The Player Of Games is where to go rather than Use Of Weapons. I think Use Of Weapons relies much more on you knowing at least a little about the Culture beforehand.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

John Charity Spring posted:

I think it's fine for people to start with Consider Phlebas (I did) but if you must skip it and start somewhere, else The Player Of Games is where to go rather than Use Of Weapons. I think Use Of Weapons relies much more on you knowing at least a little about the Culture beforehand.

I read it first and it was the only one I really liked. Player of Games is more accessible, but I never felt like it went anywhere. It was on the cusp of saying something profound, but never got there. The characters weren't satisfying to me. Still, it's pretty good book.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Decius posted:

That's why you should get the re-issue. Stross overhauled the whole series again for the re-release (in three books as originally intended) in preparation for a follow-up series somewhere in 2016.

Does it get better? I read the first 3 original books and found the serie worse and worse.

BananaNutkins posted:

Consider Phlebias is like Ian m Banks' Colour of Magic. It's not very good and people who start there often write the series off. But read Use of Weapons. It's one of the best SF books ever written.

I love that it makes ZERO concessions to reader. Some people call that bad writing, the author sabotaging himself, but I call it balls.

gently caress that, Colour of Magic is still a very good book that I still enjoy.

Neither Use of Weapons nor Consider Phlebas are good introductions to the Culture universe, even though they are good books.
Player of Games is a good introduction.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
All these years later consider phlebas is the only culture novel I've reread more than twice. It's just a ludicrously fun book to read.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

andrew smash posted:

All these years later consider phlebas is the only culture novel I've reread more than twice. It's just a ludicrously fun book to read.

It does have some great setpieces. I particularly like the chase scene through the GSV.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please recommend to me huge robot fiction. I don't even know what I'm looking for specifically, just .. looking for what exists in the world of huge robot fiction. Mechas welcome, too.
Ah, one specification: FIGHTY huge robots.

I also welcome suggestions for fighty medium-sized robot fiction.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cingulate posted:

Please recommend to me huge robot fiction. I don't even know what I'm looking for specifically, just .. looking for what exists in the world of huge robot fiction. Mechas welcome, too.

That genre is pretty much exclusively comprised of Battletech and Robotech tie-in novels. The closest you're likely to get outside of that are things like The Amtrak Wars, so if you want robots punching each other you may be out of luck. You might want to look at Fred Saberhagen's Berserker novels, though, particularly Berserker Blue Death. Berserkers aren't strictly speaking robots and much of the fighting takes place on the human scale, but I think they may have the vibe you're looking for.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's kind of what I had feared. Thank you still.

Actually, the vibe I was expecting wasn't so much robots punching each other - I was expecting that to be the backdrop to some kind of human drama.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cingulate posted:

Well, there's Starship Troopers and _Armor_. Those are more power-suit fiction though.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

power-suit fiction
Yeah, I've considered I probably need to re-read Starship Troopers.

I would have expected there to be thousands of books that basically amount to Neon Genesis Evangelion fan-fiction?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Generally the people who end up writing books like that are really really bad writers. Your best choices to check out are the aforementioned books and the Armored anthology, which varies between full sized mecha stuff and powered armor.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
David Drake's Northworld has some power suit action, and while there were parts of it I didn't understand I would still recommend it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Mobile Suit Gundam novels were rereleased awhile back. It's not much but I'd certainly recommend it over Robotech tie-in novels :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't recommend the Gundam novels unless you're already a Gundam fan. They have a very very very dry and literal translation (as required by the licensor). In addition to that, there's some weird poo poo that only really makes sense if you're familiar with Tomino.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If Wh40k is acceptable, Titanicus is a rock solid Titan(Battlemech, basically) book. It's by Dan Abnett and his stuff is pretty solid science fiction, even if it is 40k.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Those are more power-suit fiction though.
Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton has a lot of power-suit action.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Ringo's early Aldenata books have some good powered suit action. In general his SF books are decent pulp airport fiction. Stay far away from his admittedly terrible Kildar pedo poo poo.

Also, John Steakley's Armor is a real classic.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'd say that the first Aldenata book isn't that bad, and everything goes downhill from there immediately and fast.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Has anyone read the Ex-Heroes series? I recently read the first three books and found them to be fun. They are zombie apocalypse books, except on this Earth there are superheroes. I wouldn't really compare it to Marvel Zombies as there are not many zombie heroes/villains. They are quick reads and the writing is nothing amazing but I found them enjoyable and perfect for a plane ride or a lazy day.

I also just finished Promise of Blood which is described as "flintlock fantasy". I've avoided epic, save-the-world, political intrigue fantasy for almost ten years because I was burned out and tired of reading the same thing over and over but I look forward to continuing this trilogy. The author draws on history but avoids simply copy-pasting countries and historical figures as I've seen others do trying to write this type of fantasy.

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009
The Forever War doesn't have huge mechs but it follows the development of power suit warfare over the course of 1000 years and really explores not only the cool aspects but also the terrifying parts of being a soldier in a future war. I would recommend it to anyone.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FastestGunAlive posted:

Has anyone read the Ex-Heroes series? I recently read the first three books and found them to be fun. They are zombie apocalypse books, except on this Earth there are superheroes. I wouldn't really compare it to Marvel Zombies as there are not many zombie heroes/villains. They are quick reads and the writing is nothing amazing but I found them enjoyable and perfect for a plane ride or a lazy day.
Is that the one where all the superheroes still roll around in superhero costumes during the zombie apocalypse, and they've got a bunch of survivors in a like, movie studio lot (I remember the fake ocean set was turned into a farm) at the start? Where the guy with infinite regeneration powers got bitten by a zombie and is stuck being all sickly?

That's about as far as I got before I asked audible to return my credits, sorry. :(

If you want to read a book about superheroes and spandex, the Blackjack series is okay. At least it doesn't have its entire premise built upon zombie apocalypse, and it's an interesting and fun story perspective despite being otherwise pretty cheesy and clichéed - I especially enjoy the protagonist's progression as he starts off trying to be Evil Batman/Green-Arrow before realizing that it's not really entirely his forté. It does get ridiculously gory at spots in the later novels, if I recall.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 31, 2013

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Only one character still wears a costume and hides her true identity after the apocalypse. I'm not a fan of the zombie fad but as a fan of comic books and b-movie cheese I had fun with the books. To each his own though.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
So how was Abaddon's Gate? I enjoyed the other expanse books, even the stuff about cleaning spaceships (I'm in the navy so verisimilitude).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

gender illusionist posted:

So how was Abaddon's Gate? I enjoyed the other expanse books, even the stuff about cleaning spaceships (I'm in the navy so verisimilitude).

Just finished it, I liked it, although my favourite characters from the second book were not/barely in it. I think many people were pretty disappointed because it isn't providing a real ending, as the series got extended to six books.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

gender illusionist posted:

They extended the series, so the PoV characters have to spend 80% of Gate not doing anything.

Character thoughts:

I stopped giving a poo poo about Sociopath Mao about halfway through her arc. Her particular blend of naive, stupid, and crazy put me off, and other 'good guy' characters just seemed to get dumber in her presence.

Lesbian Rabbi could have been interesting - the place of faith when everything is changing - but was entirely wasted because her sole bearing on the plot was to be misunderstood by, and then partially redeem, Sociopath Mao, whom i had stopped caring about 300 pages ago.

Holden and Co barely show up. Go through Gate, press a button, have holo-Miller assisted revelation, get captured. We learned nothing new about any of them, and they were just there to touch the macguffin and be there in the finale.

Cranky Diplomat Grandma (Avasarala) didn't show up at all, which is unacceptable :colbert:

As you can see, i can't even remember the names of the few new characters i had even a passing interest in.

There were no real space battles, the whole problem underpinning the climactic finale was foreseeable and avoidable, and 90% of the book could have been cut with no real loss. I really think they have a problem with their plot structure when there's no main threat to polarize the plot, and the result is pretty disappointing.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 2, 2014

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?

Ceebees posted:

There were no real battles, the whole problem underpinning the climactic finale was foreseeable and avoidable, and the 90% of the book could have been cut with no real loss.

This was how I felt about Daniel Abraham's recent 3rd book (now out of five!) in the Dagger and the Coin series. He's half of The Expanse (Abaddon's Gate) writers if I recall correctly.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Dryb posted:

This was how I felt about Daniel Abraham's recent 3rd book (now out of five!) in the Dagger and the Coin series. He's half of The Expanse (Abaddon's Gate) writers if I recall correctly.

He is half of James S.A. Corey, and that's a fair assessment of The Tyrant's Law, I think. I'll probably keep reading that series in the hopes that some cool stuff happens with Marcus Wester, but the third book was not very exciting. Having just started Abaddon's Gate, I'm disappointed about some of the character absences I know are in here. Leviathan Wakes is proof these guys can write a fun sci-fi novel -- I hope they get back to that in this series.

James Trickington
Apr 23, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

Only one character still wears a costume and hides her true identity after the apocalypse. I'm not a fan of the zombie fad but as a fan of comic books and b-movie cheese I had fun with the books. To each his own though.

Actually yeah I loved these books. Next one's due out soon right? It's nothing I've ever recommended, but they are great guilty pleasure books.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Any opinions on Heroes Die (and other books in the series) by Stover? Premise seems pretty interesting but I'm not sure if the execution is any good.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I liked Heroes Die quite a bit; I'd say the execution is about as good as could be hoped given the premise. Haven't picked up the next one yet although I keep meaning to.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The first three are all pretty good - the latest one gets confusing and weird.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I didn't dig em that much.

Read the first one, and it took a while to get used to the moving from world to world, and having one of the antagonists be gay rapist superman was a bit weird.

Tried the second book out, and it was just not my cup o tea. I can't honestly remember if I finished it or not. The story jumping from "AMAZING KID CAINE" to "poo poo just got real in fairyland" to "old pissed whiny caine" was just jarring.

It's like, it wanted to be GRIMDARK but still be fantasy with elves and poo poo, and it didn't know how to really manage the crossover.

I won't go out of my way to recommend em, but I won't say they are the best things ever committed to paper either. It's such a unique premise that it falls into the "Eh, ya gotta read em" trap.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Only the first Caine book is good. The second one is a fun read as long as you go into it knowing to expect Ayn Rand's version of the first book.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

James Trickington posted:

Actually yeah I loved these books. Next one's due out soon right? It's nothing I've ever recommended, but they are great guilty pleasure books.

Amazon has it listed as Jan 16 2014. Third one was a much better improvement over the second one, hopefully the fourth is better yet

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Cingulate posted:

Bolos

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

FastestGunAlive posted:

Amazon has it listed as Jan 16 2014. Third one was a much better improvement over the second one, hopefully the fourth is better yet

Well poo poo, I guess its time to reread the series again for the second time, since so much crazy poo poo happens in Stover's world that its hard to even remember who did what during the wait for each book.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Cingulate posted:

"All you need is kill" is pretty good.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

fez_machine posted:

"All you need is kill" is pretty good.

I really like that book, It is such a shame that they took the plot and twisted it around for the Tom Cruise movie "Edge of Tomorrow"

On another note does anyone have any recommendations on some good Military Sci-Fi books? Preferably Hard Sci-Fi (I have read and enjoyed, Starship Troopers, Armor, Forever War, Old man's war, Consider Phlebas, Player of Games, All you need is kill, and the BattleTech books.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard

BananaNutkins posted:

Only the first Caine book is good. The second one is a fun read as long as you go into it knowing to expect Ayn Rand's version of the first book.

Oh dear. Bad philosophy or bad writing?