Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's cool. lol ie has had html5 storage since ie5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
this week's lesson: data-driven unit testing owns. in particular, autofixture + nsubstitute has done great things for the maintainability of my unit tests

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys
does anyone here have opinions about moq? any tips and tricks? i think my lack of exposure to unit testing qualifies me for this thread for this subject...

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
its syntax can be a little janky to get used to be i've used it at work for years and find it really handy.

what specific tips and tricks do you have in mind? i picked it up by reading the examples mostly.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
one thing to note it's not as powerful as, say, rhinomocks. it can only mock interfaces and virtual methods since it uses code emission to generate the mock classes. but i find that to be a useful restriction since it keeps you from slinging hard dependencies around your code like a goddamn college student.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Morkai posted:

does anyone here have opinions about moq? any tips and tricks? i think my lack of exposure to unit testing qualifies me for this thread for this subject...

my personal preference is nsubstitute, but that's mostly aesthetic

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys
we're using DI like grown ups...

its the tool i have to use for the job, but if anyone here had a really compelling reason to switch to something else i could build a case. ive picked it up ok in the few days ive been working with it, just looking for things like "the docs say x but in the real world y is what you really want to do" type of stuff.

thanks

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Morkai posted:

i think my lack of exposure to unit testing qualifies me for this thread for this subject...

as an aside from mocking framework stuff, i discovered

http://autofixture.codeplex.com/

a few weeks back and it's fantastic. especially when coupled with a compatible unit testing framework + a mocking framework so you can do data-driven unit tests

but i know nothing so maybe its actually poo poo and i havent realised yet

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys
i'm going to need lots of data driven tests for sure, thanks.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
if i download "eclipse standard", will i be able to do things like c++ by just intalling plugins, or does that only work in the special editions?

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

prefect posted:

if i download "eclipse standard", will i be able to do things like c++ by just intalling plugins, or does that only work in the special editions?

you can just install the plugins normally. the special editions just come with the plugins built in

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Posting Principle posted:

you can just install the plugins normally. the special editions just come with the plugins built in

thanks; that's what i was hoping to hear, but couldn't find spelled out anywhere :tipshat:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

prefect posted:

yes, but the c++ plugin is awful garbage, don't expect anything decent for non-jvm langs

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brain Candy posted:

yes, but the c++ plugin is awful garbage, don't expect anything decent for non-jvm langs

i'm not doing any development -- i just have to get an idea of what's going on in order to get this weird third-party-created application to build (i think i actually know most of what i need from reading the ant build.xml file, but i'm told eclipse is going to be required)

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
just use vim and command line mate

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my friend who writes java 'professionally' and i are working on a java project and he had me do eclipse because that's what they use at his job.

our first day working together, he spent 4 hours trying to get eclipse to read our project because it kept loving up for some reason

now we're using sublime :cool:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
java is seems okay but the super high level stuff is frustrating if you're the kind of person who learns best by 'doing.' we're going a spring thing and i have to google every annotation because it's impossible to follow the code otherwise

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

my friend who writes java 'professionally' and i are working on a java project and he had me do eclipse because that's what they use at his job.

our first day working together, he spent 4 hours trying to get eclipse to read our project because it kept loving up for some reason

doesn't the lack of freely available source concern you?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

git clone trooper posted:

doesn't the lack of freely available source concern you?

freedom isnt free

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
that's okay, no one except the 1st person who initiated the project really knows how to setup the/a dev environment anyways, and god forbid they didn't write the instructions down on how to duplicate it.

I like sublime but getting eclipse or intellij to work would be beneficial for your javaing. Sublime/VimLOL are only acceptable if your language is a piece of poo poo with a piece of poo poo debug environment.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
idk I used to work in a django project and when a new coworker started to commit to the repository he hosed up the whole thing in so many ways because of eclipse.

no kidding, I think it took him 3 days to get eclipse to not gently caress things up.

and that's why I feel like eclipse smells bad. but if you tell me that the coworker was just exceptionally retarded I'll believe you.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I'm glad that it's impossible to use something like Vagrant to set up a standard dev environment, that would make things way too boring.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

idk I used to work in a django project and when a new coworker started to commit to the repository he hosed up the whole thing in so many ways because of eclipse.

no kidding, I think it took him 3 days to get eclipse to not gently caress things up.

and that's why I feel like eclipse smells bad. but if you tell me that the coworker was just exceptionally retarded I'll believe you.

Probably just a dumb coworker.

At my last job we used IntelliJ idea for all our dev stuff and it was pretty solid; big thing was just filtering out the workspace stuff that shouldn't be committed, making sure certain defaults *were* committed, and having a setup guide.

It also helped that in over a year only one New person joined that team.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

MeruFM posted:

that's okay, no one except the 1st person who initiated the project really knows how to setup the/a dev environment anyways, and god forbid they didn't write the instructions down on how to duplicate it.

I like sublime but getting eclipse or intellij to work would be beneficial for your javaing. Sublime/VimLOL are only acceptable if your language is a piece of poo poo with a piece of poo poo debug environment.

Symbolic Butt posted:

look at all these non-mvn havers

if you are too dumb to to use eclipse (s. butt, this is exceptionally dense), a smarter person configuring maven will incidentally configure eclipse for you if you install a single plugin.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

eclipse should read a pom just fine. you must have hosed it up pretty bad

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Brain Candy posted:

look at all these non-mvn havers

if you are too dumb to to use eclipse (s. butt, this is exceptionally dense), a smarter person configuring maven will incidentally configure eclipse for you if you install a single plugin.

I never used eclipse. I'll probably try it when I decide to learn java.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Symbolic Butt posted:

I never used eclipse. I'll probably try it when I decide to learn java.

intellij idea is pretty good; if you're going to do java, take a look

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

in comparison, every other configuration/build system is a frustrating pile of barely working hacks. because it is

use maven

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

eclipse should read a pom just fine. you must have hosed it up pretty bad

i think he just didnt understand how to use git

we were building with gradle which from my 1 minute of looking at it seems to be like a wrapper for maven maybe? idk

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

i think he just didnt understand how to use git

we were building with gradle which from my 1 minute of looking at it seems to be like a wrapper for maven maybe? idk

gradle's pretty cool. it gives you a lot of the same behaviors people have come to expect from maven, but it's a lot easier to customize when you need to do something out of the ordinary (but if you're not doing anything out of the ordinary, maven does just about everything automatically)

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

prefect posted:

(i think i actually know most of what i need from reading the ant build.xml file, but i'm told eclipse is going to be required)

using ant & c++ & IDE-based configuration, soon you will long for death

:rip:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brain Candy posted:

using ant & c++ & IDE-based configuration, soon you will long for death

:rip:

i'm already there. been there for a good long time now :q:

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
gradle is neat because i can do easy "give me version x.x of this jar" and build artifacts really easily, but i can also just run arbitrary groovy code. i like scons for the same reason

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Posting Principle posted:

gradle is neat because i can do easy "give me version x.x of this jar" and build artifacts really easily, but i can also just run arbitrary groovy code. i like scons for the same reason

idk, i've had a meh experience with scons. some things that should already be there don't exist because "lol, just write ten lines of python". if i look up something, and there's a wiki page on it with some simple code, maybe they should just freaking do it for me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
running arbitrary code is the worst part of any build system

the genius ant and mvn is specifically that they are not just code. they are documents parsed by a tool that in turn does things. you don't gotta solve the halting problem to understand the project structure in a maven file

i get that gradle and scons and sbt are aesthetically nicer to look at but i really don't want to be in the position of running arbitrary code to infer things about the project

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Brain Candy posted:

in comparison, every other configuration/build system is a frustrating pile of barely working hacks. because it is

use maven

welcome to the grown-up programmer club

you can sit next to shaggar

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

welcome to the grown-up programmer club

you can sit next to shaggar

it is on this day of triumph i can finally say it

i hate computers

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
i just got some pythontools guff for visual studio and its bloody brilliant

it lets u intellisense and explore ur code properly for python oh and proper VS debugging works. in ur python

this is great because i have to understand and fix and improve some loving terrible idiot scientists lovely python program made with a loving UI generator and also write a huge report on why its super lovely

scientists shoudl not be allowed to write code and btw the open sores python IDEs they recommend are loving garbage too hth

but microsoft products make this ok. oh and the best bit is theres even a free VS version that works with pythontools for sperglord autists who hate paying for proper tools!!!!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

scientists shoudl not be allowed to write code

I'm really glad academia is moving to python because most of the code I got to work with till now wasn't really mind-numbingly bad. it's mostly silly like "hey what's this about modules? let me put the whole project in this hugeass file"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
this thing is great its all in gigantic monolithic classes doing a million retarded different things that make no sense coupled with god awful scientist notation

variable names are optional as is use of the english language, if we call it K everyone will know what we mean!!!!!

• Locked thread