Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.
They mostly use grenades for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Keep your people spaced apart so you don't eat rockets/grenades. This is XCOM 101.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I can imagine they only bother using rockets if you've grouped up. I never do, so they must never bother trying. They're to busy gunning it to the hack point or reloading their hacked guns. You'd think they'd learn not to keep their radios in their mags.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Psychotron posted:

I understand the SHIV strategy, but I've actually never used them. Other than my normal playthrough way back when just to mess around in late game and see how they work. I haven't honestly found a need, and it seems to me every time I consider building them, it's more of an inconvenience to spend money on them at the time than the benefit gained.

Also, I'm of the "collect meld if it's convenient" mindset and am never short on the stuff despite this. Are people really going balls out with gene mods or something? I keep a mech suit with two soldiers on staff who can use it (a main and a backup), and gene modify soldiers one at a time (rarely in groups), but usually not until I feel comfortable with my base set up and have about half the countries covered with sats.

This is me, I am going balls out. I have 3 Mecs and 2 gene modded soldiers. No regrets, punching aliens in the face has been entirely worth it.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I just got this on sale with the xpac.. should I play the original once, or just go right into Enemy Within?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Go right into Enemy Within.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Depends on how much you'd play the game to be honest. If you were going for more than one playthrough i'd do the normal xcom first, then to within.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There is no reason whatsoever to play the original game under any circumstance. Enemy Within completely outclasses it. To suggest that you make your first playthrough on the unexpanded version is crazy.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

The Gunslinger posted:

The Geoscape won't rotate for me anymore. I have no idea why but it just stopped. Any way to get this back? Googling it reveals a bunch of people with no resolution.
You can get the Geoscape to rotate again in EW by plugging in a game controller. That rotation feature was vital to me to do proper unit testing on my mod.

Some people have said Firaxis disabled the globe's rotation since it's not needed, but it's obviously a bug with keyboard commands since you can still rotate with a game controller (I use a wired XBox360 controller).

The Firaxis people have no concept of Unit Testing or System Testing in their development process. It's probably a great place to work if you are a sloppy coder. The problems you are having with only recruiting snipers is more evidence my theory is correct.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 3, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There is no reason whatsoever to play the original game under any circumstance. Enemy Within completely outclasses it. To suggest that you make your first playthrough on the unexpanded version is crazy.

I may or may not have gotten confused because I just assumed slingshot and progeny were part of it and that they'd get bombarded with missions. Then I realised that even if that was right, you can turn them on and off.

Dumb moment.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I ran in to this and the only way I could resolve it was to demolish my gene lab and re-build it. A bit of pain but it fixed it.

This fixed it.

Does anyone know how overriding works within the game? If you use resource hacker but defaultgamecore.ini is left alone, does it use the .ini settings or the ones you changed in the executable? Anyone have any ideas of how I need to handle the fact that it's got that .ini file now?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Well, EXALT unfortunately doesn't feel that well-integrated into the campaign, to be honest. And that's even without their AI blowing so hard.

Still, I agree. start with Enemy Within, and never look back.

I just sent my B-team on a late game terror mission, along with two fully upgraded hover SHIVs. I lost two people and one SHIV to a sectopod and cyberdisk, while cryssalids were happily swarming all over the place and munching on civvies. The game became a cat and mouse game between my last SHIV and the sectopod. I had to retreat him multiple times to repair up, but fortunately, getting rid of the cryssalids was pretty easy from the rooftop.

One thing I found out the hard way: sectopods no longer get hit by their own splash damage if you move point blank into their face.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is there seriously nothing you can do to kill an enemy that you mind controlled before it suddenly goes back to normal and also gets to attack on the same turn, besides wasting rockets and grenades? I mind controlled a heavy floater to make it easy to capture but couldn't target it so it shot someone point blank. (gratefully someone with the crit immunity skill)

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

I dunno; as someone new to the series, playing the base game first to learn the ropes and leaving the expansion for a second playthrough seems worthwhile. I feel like I'll appreciate the new toys better knowing how the game first started.

Speaking of first games, I just got the Ghost armor and I'm not sure what would be the best use for it. Scouting seems obvious but since it lasts only one turn, I don't know if I have the time to make a proper ambush. I guess I can use it after I've engaged the xenos, to flank them with impunity.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

seravid posted:

I dunno; as someone new to the series, playing the base game first to learn the ropes and leaving the expansion for a second playthrough seems worthwhile. I feel like I'll appreciate the new toys better knowing how the game first started.

However, you can simply choose not use the new toys and ignore meld, and playing the expansion after vanilla will just rock the boat with how it changes the classes due to ability rebalancing. Teleporting aliens is also something that's not enjoyed.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Nephilm posted:

However, you can simply choose not use the new toys and ignore meld, and playing the expansion after vanilla will just rock the boat with how it changes the classes due to ability rebalancing. Teleporting aliens is also something that's not enjoyed.

Hey, I'm just following advice given in this very thread :saddowns:

Too late to stop now anyway, my Classic run is almost in the bag (I think? Current objective is to build the relay)

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
It's easier to measure game progress by month and how far you're in the tech tree, since the storyline objectives can be done at any point and in relatively quick succession.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

seravid posted:

Hey, I'm just following advice given in this very thread :saddowns:

Too late to stop now anyway, my Classic run is almost in the bag (I think? Current objective is to build the relay)

Yeah, you're like three quarters of the way done.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Nephilm posted:

It's easier to measure game progress by month and how far you're in the tech tree, since the storyline objectives can be done at any point and in relatively quick succession.

September (pretty sure that's right) and I'm rocking all kinds of plasma. Alloy cannons are researched, but I haven't bought any of those yet.

By the way, what am I supposed to do with Heavies? They can't hit anything, even with plasma rifles. At this point, he just comes along in case I need the rocket launcher, which is pretty rare. Also, why can't you upgrade that thing with a plasma cannon or a thunder hammer?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

seravid posted:

At this point, he just comes along in case I need the rocket launcher, which is pretty rare. Also, why can't you upgrade that thing with a plasma cannon or a thunder hammer?

Suppression is useful for keeping aliens you can't kill that turn from hitting you when they return fire.

As to upgrading the rocket launcher... you can! There is a single upgrade to plasma rank that provides +2 damage, 100% accuracy and the ability to fire around cover. The catch? It requires you to down and complete a battleship, the biggest, baddest ufo of the lot. Top that off with how rare battleships are, unless you deliberately ignore ufos to trigger them it's highly likely they won't show up in your campaign at all, and they are very hard to obtain.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

seravid posted:

September (pretty sure that's right) and I'm rocking all kinds of plasma. Alloy cannons are researched, but I haven't bought any of those yet.

By the way, what am I supposed to do with Heavies? They can't hit anything, even with plasma rifles. At this point, he just comes along in case I need the rocket launcher, which is pretty rare. Also, why can't you upgrade that thing with a plasma cannon or a thunder hammer?

If you don't know what to do with Heavies you need to play on a higher difficulty level.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

amanasleep posted:

If you don't know what to do with Heavies you need to play on a higher difficulty level.

I don't see how that would help :confused:

My team consists of one sniper, two supports, two assaults and one heavy. The sniper and assaults are ghosting/grappling mass murderers; the supports can sprint (very useful for healing and stunning), suppress and occasionally drop a smoke grenade. They can also shoot straight. The only thing the heavy brings to the table is the ability to throw/launch two grenades and rockets per battle.

I'm new at this so I may be wrong, but the heavy seems to be completely outclassed beyond the early game (where grenades and rockets can one-shot everything).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

prefect posted:

If you're looking to cheatedit files, you could modify XComGameData.ini before a mission.

code:
m_iMeldAwardedPerContainer=10
You could bump that number and then change it back once your conscience catches up to you. :)

Just for academic purposes, but is there a value that you can edit to increase your fragments and alloys rewards? I do see how to edit your money from countries, but seriously money is not really an issue after month 1.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Having more enemies that your guys can't easily solo, plus higher alien damage, means the ability to reliably damage multiple enemies at once while stripping them of cover is invaluable for your team. Add in the ability to make all targets take +33% extra damage, and the ability to fire twice (which somewhat makes up for their lovely aim), and you've got a pretty drat good class

In comparison, there's no reason to have two supports. A heavy might have worse aim, but two shots at 75% is (slightly) better odds that at least one shot will hit than one shot at 89%. The heavy's shots also do more damage, so on average a heavy puts out more damage than a support, though the support can do that while moving. Extra smokes are nice, but not as nice as rockets, especially if you get blaster launchers, shredder rockets, and either rocketeer or danger zone. Extra healing is superfluous if you're killing all the aliens first (and you should be). At higher levels, it not the damage of the rockets that's nice, its the cover-removal. Opening two whole pods of Muton Elites to an ITZ sniper volley is pretty awesome, and relatively easy to do. You can easily do it two or three times a mission, and one of those times you're applying a shredder debuff on top of the cover removal.

Grenadier is also a nice perk because at the beginning, it can be used for killing targets easily. Late game, it means more ghost grenades, which means you can save more Meld for MEC tomfoolery if that's your thing. (But you should get danger zone instead, because danger zone is just awesome)

Heavies: great class. Honestly, the weakest class in the game right now is, in my opinion, the support. It just doesn't bring enough offensive options to the table. If combat drugs gave their former hidden aim bonus, I'd consider taking an additional smoke/mirrors support. Dense smoke is alright, but three +40def just isn't as useful as anything else any other class can do. The late game is all about killing aliens as fast as they pop up on screen, which means heavies, assaults, and snipers all start coming into their own (heavies somewhat indirectly, since they support the other two) while supports are kind of there to pick up the pieces if everything falls apart. I need one for the medic abilities, and that's really it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Carnalfex posted:

I just use it to swap the position of headshot and squad sight, so my squaddie snipers aren't a downgrade. Also makes the second choice for them more meaningful: Do more damage, or have more mobility?

If I could swap out headshot for snap shot to have snap shot + squad sight snipers, I'd do that every time, I think.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

seravid posted:

I don't see how that would help :confused:

My team consists of one sniper, two supports, two assaults and one heavy. The sniper and assaults are ghosting/grappling mass murderers; the supports can sprint (very useful for healing and stunning), suppress and occasionally drop a smoke grenade. They can also shoot straight. The only thing the heavy brings to the table is the ability to throw/launch two grenades and rockets per battle.

I'm new at this so I may be wrong, but the heavy seems to be completely outclassed beyond the early game (where grenades and rockets can one-shot everything).

The early game is the only game that matters. Basically the late game of XCOM is a victory lap at any difficulty level, so if your biggest problem playing XCOM right now is that Heavies seem useless then you have mastered your current difficulty level and I would suggest increasing it to add more challenge. At higher difficulties, Heavies are more essential.

What difficulty do you play at currently?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

seravid posted:

I've always had more luck with the heavy by losing the grenades and giving him a scope. A lot of people will tell you that is a really stupid idea, but having the heavy be able to reliably hit something and deliver massive damage has always been more important in my games than having extra grenades.

amanasleep posted:

The early game is the only game that matters. Basically the late game of XCOM is a victory lap at any difficulty level, so if your biggest problem playing XCOM right now is that Heavies seem useless then you have mastered your current difficulty level and I would suggest increasing it to add more challenge. At higher difficulties, Heavies are more essential.

He said he was playing on Classic. I'm not sure the answer is for him to jump up to Impossible. :)

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Heavies: great class.

From this I gather I made a huge mistake going with holo-targeting. In my defense, that promotion happened +/- one hour into the game.
Keep in mind I'm playing without the expansion at the moment, so some of what you said might not apply. Never seen any ghost grenades, for example.

amanasleep posted:

Classic, everything else at default. Occasional savescumming, though more to see how the game works* than to defy the RNG Gods.
*the "hmm, I wonder what would happen if I tried this. ... I see :stare: Reload!" school of learning

I haven't suffered a casualty in a long while, but that's just because I've learned to play slowly (I was pretty much speed-running the first few missions. That did not go well). 21 hours in and I still haven't built the relay :v:
The last terror mission actually went pretty bad. No casualty on my side, but I only saved 8 civilians. Actually, I didn't save anyone, I just killed all the aliens. In a higher difficulty setting I assume the civvies would all be dead.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Is there seriously nothing you can do to kill an enemy that you mind controlled before it suddenly goes back to normal and also gets to attack on the same turn, besides wasting rockets and grenades? I mind controlled a heavy floater to make it easy to capture but couldn't target it so it shot someone point blank. (gratefully someone with the crit immunity skill)

If they have their own grenades, you can blow them up that way. But that's still not as helpful. Wish there was some sort of "extra mindfry" that you could use on a mind-controlled unit. Or if it were targetable with the arc thrower, at the very least.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's much easier to just use mind controlled aliens as expendable shock troops. You still get their weapons when they die. If you actually want to capture them for interrogation I find Psi Panic to be a better option, barring the odd face full of plasma.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Classic and not feeling like you need heavies makes sense, especially if you're still learning the ropes and savescumming (even a little). Yes, bulletstorm is infinitely better than holotargetting, but there's really no reason for you to know that right at the start of the game. Near-guaranteed damage is always useful, especially if you're on ironman and sometimes need to go all-out instead of being able to squeak by (because there's a reload in there if it goes tits up).

While having two ghost grenades is nice, I still think that Danger Zone is the better perk for that rank, so you're not missing out by not having access to them. Honestly, the only choice heavies get that feels like a choice is Rocketeer or Mayhem, and either way, it doesn't matter: they're both awesome. Bulletstorm, Shredder, HEAT, Danger Zone, and then your pick of the Colonel skills will put out a dangerous, dangerous soldier. A suppression-oriented heavy is good in theory, but it just doesn't work out for me like I'd want. For what its worth, I didn't love heavies until I played the Long War mod, where having a rocketeer was mandatory on every mission once Cyberdiscs showed up, and really, really important before then. Without one, you might as well just abort. Coming back to EW from that made me realize how useful they really are, along with the MEC's Collateral Damage skill. Removing cover on command is a godsend. Also, you'll love your heavy the first time a mass of Heavy Floaters takes cover near some gas pumps. :getin:

Heavies might also be better in EW (even with the HEAT nerf) because EW encourages you to be more aggressive, which means more enemies on the field at once. This means AoE attacks are better and cover removal and alien elimination is more important.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How do I start to raid an exalt base? I have more than enough info pointing it to the US. Nothing I can find on the forums says anything but hitting the accuse button, but there is no accuse button anywhere, just an exalt icon and if i click it, nothing happens.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm doing a heavily save-scummed 4-man classic run for achievements. I almost wiped on the base assault on a normal ironman due to getting berskerkers dropped right on top of me, but the classic one went incredibly smoothly. The fact that there were sectoids instead of berserkers helped.

I got my hyperwave up in June or July and only a few days later got the Overseer to pop up just a few days later. It was the first thing to happen after it's completion! Is that normal now with EW? Facing one Sectopod, let alone the two, with four guys with laser weapons and carapace/skeleton armor is a non-starter. Heavy floaters hadn't even shown up yet.

Does it seem to you guys like missions tend to clump up more? I had one instance, where I had a terror mission pop, and in the infinitesimal game time it took to go from the squad screen to the engineering tab, a small UFO appeared.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Ravenfood posted:

Classic and not feeling like you need heavies makes sense, especially if you're still learning the ropes and savescumming (even a little). Yes, bulletstorm is infinitely better than holotargetting, but there's really no reason for you to know that right at the start of the game. Near-guaranteed damage is always useful, especially if you're on ironman and sometimes need to go all-out instead of being able to squeak by (because there's a reload in there if it goes tits up).

While having two ghost grenades is nice, I still think that Danger Zone is the better perk for that rank, so you're not missing out by not having access to them. Honestly, the only choice heavies get that feels like a choice is Rocketeer or Mayhem, and either way, it doesn't matter: they're both awesome. Bulletstorm, Shredder, HEAT, Danger Zone, and then your pick of the Colonel skills will put out a dangerous, dangerous soldier. A suppression-oriented heavy is good in theory, but it just doesn't work out for me like I'd want. For what its worth, I didn't love heavies until I played the Long War mod, where having a rocketeer was mandatory on every mission once Cyberdiscs showed up, and really, really important before then. Without one, you might as well just abort. Coming back to EW from that made me realize how useful they really are, along with the MEC's Collateral Damage skill. Removing cover on command is a godsend. Also, you'll love your heavy the first time a mass of Heavy Floaters takes cover near some gas pumps. :getin:

Heavies might also be better in EW (even with the HEAT nerf) because EW encourages you to be more aggressive, which means more enemies on the field at once. This means AoE attacks are better and cover removal and alien elimination is more important.

What are all the changes that EW made? I didn't know there was a heat nerf, and I've heard other nerfs come up.

Never mind, google told me. That's awesome I need to recheck my assault specs now.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 3, 2014

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It'd be nice if when you finished a battle with controlled aliens they counted as captured and the battle automatically ended. Or just the ability to directly fire upon or stun controlled aliens.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Does controlled alien's death still have a chance to panic your squad? Because that was a pain in the rear end.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

amanasleep posted:

Good stuff.

Interesting, thanks for that, I like getting more solid numbers on XCOM's hidden numbers.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Is it possible to do the Alien Base in April? Is it worth it?

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Is it possible to do the Alien Base in April? Is it worth it?

Assaulting the alien base reduces worldwide panic; and the earlier you attack, the easier it is to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Obviously. The question is, can you afford to neglect the other areas (OTS, satellites, etc.) in order to get the necessary research and construction done in time?

I finished my first EW game yesterday, and I had good success in doing the base in May, focusing on getting the alien containment and arc thrower early, but I lost two countries to panic in April.

• Locked thread