Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

User-Friendly posted:

Just watch the interviews with the guy it's based on (I think they were on HBO?) and save yourself the time. They're about a million times more interesting.

If you live in New Jersey and are familiar with Clinton Road from the Weird NJ series you might be surprised to find out that this guy dumped a few bodies on that road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Attack The Block is a pretty awesome cleverly shot scifi flick about aliens invading a London apartment complex and the gangsta kids who fight them. I don't think it's on american netflix, but I'm pretty sure its on most of the other ones

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Cop Land is a pretty good action/thriller.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

SgtScruffy posted:

I'll ask this like I asked in TV/IV:

A friend of mine said to watch Twin Peaks only up until "The Cops find out who the killer is" and then to stop watching because the rest just turns into uninteresting soap opera bullshit.

TV/IV seemed to be half "That's retarded, it's all amazing", and half "Yeah that's about right, but you can still watch the last episode and you didn't miss anything."

Thoughts?

You need to see up until the (not a spoiler to you) Laura Palmer murder is solved and you need to see the finale, which David Lynch came back for. There's also the prequel-movie that is sort of a mess and leans way more towards the darker, stranger, Lynchier end of the series, but has some totally excellent sequences if you're a fan (to be watched only after the series finale). The season two midsection, between reveal and finale, is largely garbage which I think you can pretty much skip if you want. I don't know when the Internet became so selective that they couldn't consume a thing whole though, I mean, this is the Netflix thread, how many people here haven't voluntarily sat through six consecutive hours of trash.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Yeah, at a certain point, twin peaks makes a major tonal shift. It becomes a lot slower, a lot more difficult, and sometimes obnoxious. I love the show, enough that I still basically like it after that point, even though the high points are much farther apart, and the lows are much much lower.

Watch it until that tone change happens, at least. Then give it an episode or two. You'll know if you want to stick with it or not.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Anyone know how the typed letter ended up under her fingernail? I don't think the movie or show ever addressed that. Lots of lost plot lines.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

Anyone know how the typed letter ended up under her fingernail? I don't think the movie or show ever addressed that. Lots of lost plot lines.

How it happened wasn't really the mystery, the letter was just a way that the Laura Palmer milling was connected to some other deaths.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Attack The Block is a pretty awesome cleverly shot scifi flick about aliens invading a London apartment complex and the gangsta kids who fight them. I don't think it's on american netflix, but I'm pretty sure its on most of the other ones

Yeah this movie was good. A definite 8/10 for me. Bonus points for a great Shawn of the Dead cameo.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Finished the new season of Lilyhammer off last night, definitely better than season one. Focusing more on Giovanni's antics in the club and with his goons rather than his odd family life.

One thing that always gets me about the show is how people bounce from Norwegian to English so often right in the middle of sentences or conversations. Being a sheltered white male in America, is it really common in other countries that have multiple speaking languages to just bounce around languages like that?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Khorne Flakes posted:

Finished the new season of Lilyhammer off last night, definitely better than season one. Focusing more on Giovanni's antics in the club and with his goons rather than his odd family life.

One thing that always gets me about the show is how people bounce from Norwegian to English so often right in the middle of sentences or conversations. Being a sheltered white male in America, is it really common in other countries that have multiple speaking languages to just bounce around languages like that?

Yeah it's called "code switching" and it's really common in communities where people speak more than one language. I'm really glad that Season 2 of Lilyhammer is good--I enjoyed the first season. There's just something comforting about the show, I don't know.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Khorne Flakes posted:

I can also vouche that this is extremely common. I work for an almost all German company in the USA and when folks here switch to German, you know it's time to get down to business (I don't speak much German).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Khorne Flakes posted:

I'm in southern California so people do it all of the time with Spanish, it even had a term "Spanglish."

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
Yeah, we Norwegians pretty much switch from English to Norwegian at the drop of a hat, especially if there's English speakers around. Speaking of speaking Norwegian, Zombie fans should probably check out Død Snø. It's pretty silly as far as zombie movies go, but it's fun, gory and energetic. Also, it's one of the few zombie movies I've seen where the characters seem to have seen zombie movies before, not that it helps them much, mind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

GimpChimp posted:

You need to see up until the (not a spoiler to you) Laura Palmer murder is solved and you need to see the finale, which David Lynch came back for. There's also the prequel-movie that is sort of a mess and leans way more towards the darker, stranger, Lynchier end of the series, but has some totally excellent sequences if you're a fan (to be watched only after the series finale). The season two midsection, between reveal and finale, is largely garbage which I think you can pretty much skip if you want. I don't know when the Internet became so selective that they couldn't consume a thing whole though, I mean, this is the Netflix thread, how many people here haven't voluntarily sat through six consecutive hours of trash.

I agree, its just not enough episodes to for me to justify recommending that somebody skip them. Its about 10 episodes between the solving of the murder and the lead-up to the finale. There's enough little bits and individual lines in those 10 episodes that fill out more of the backstory of Cooper and the Lodge to make them worth watching in my opinion, and you still have enough of the core cast doing their thing that to me it still feels like the same show. It wasn't so much that I noticed a tone change, its that a huge piece of the show was gone(the mystery of Laura Palmer's murder) so there is less driving the plot for a while.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

From Reddit. TV shows and movies that will be gone from Netflix Streaming (US) next year. If you've been putting off seeing any of these, now's the time.

LIST APPLIES TO NETFLIX USA STREAMING MARKET:
----------TV SHOWS--------------
EXPIRING JANUARY 1, 2014
Dark Shadows (original from late 1960s)
Saturday Night Live The 2000s
Mr Bean
The Kids In The Hall
Perfect 10 Model Boxing (Volume 1)
-----------MOVIES-----------------
EXPIRING DECEMBER 29, 2013
Transformers Dark Of The Moon
EXPIRING JANUARY 4, 2014
Alice In Wonderland (1951 Disney)
Immortals
Dynamite Warrior
EXPIRING JANUARY 1, 2014
The Rundown
Brick
Being John Malkovich
Back To School
Battle Of Britain
Born On the Fourth Of July
Braveheart
Body Of Evidence
Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo
Man On The Moon
Lionheart
1492 Conquest Of Paradise
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
FX
Do The Right Thing
Desperado
Up In Smoke
Can't Hardly Wait
Capote
Biloxi Blues
Seed Of Chucky
Jarhead
As Good As It Gets
In The Name Of The Father
Inside Deep Throat (documentary)
I'm Gonna Get You Sucka
In Like Flint
Hard Target
Foxy Brown
Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell
Gallipoli
Half Baked
Flashdance
50 First Dates
For The Love Of The Game
The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas
The Bad News Bears
The Russia House
The Secret Of Nimh
Revenge OF The Ninja
Roman Holiday
Rob Roy
Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back
Remo Williams
Requiem For A Dream
Quigley Down Under
Pumpkinhead
Platoon
Once Upon A Time In Mexico
October Sky
Mystery Men
The Skulls
Titanic
Ronin
Romeo And Juliet (1968)
Tales From The Crypt: Bordello Of Blood
Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight
The Woman In Red
Top Gun
Street Fighter
TNT Jackson
Serpico
Seed Of Chucky
Scary Movie
Running Scared
Troll II
True Grit (1969)
War And Peace
Talk Radio
War Games
We Were Soldiers
What Dreams May Come
Windtalkers
World Trade Center
The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes
The Odd Couple (1968)
The Mask Of Zorro
The Great Train Robbery
The Faculty
The Dream Team
Best Of Times
Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot
Species

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The Aphasian posted:

From Reddit. TV shows and movies that will be gone from Netflix Streaming (US) next year. If you've been putting off seeing any of these, now's the time.

LIST APPLIES TO NETFLIX USA STREAMING MARKET:
----------TV SHOWS--------------
EXPIRING JANUARY 1, 2014
Dark Shadows (original from late 1960s)
Saturday Night Live The 2000s
Mr Bean
The Kids In The Hall
Perfect 10 Model Boxing (Volume 1)
-----------MOVIES-----------------
EXPIRING DECEMBER 29, 2013
Transformers Dark Of The Moon
EXPIRING JANUARY 4, 2014
Alice In Wonderland (1951 Disney)
Immortals
Dynamite Warrior
EXPIRING JANUARY 1, 2014
The Rundown
Brick
Being John Malkovich
Back To School
Battle Of Britain
Born On the Fourth Of July
Braveheart
Body Of Evidence
Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo
Man On The Moon
Lionheart
1492 Conquest Of Paradise
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
FX
Do The Right Thing
Desperado
Up In Smoke
Can't Hardly Wait
Capote
Biloxi Blues
Seed Of Chucky
Jarhead
As Good As It Gets
In The Name Of The Father
Inside Deep Throat (documentary)
I'm Gonna Get You Sucka
In Like Flint
Hard Target
Foxy Brown
Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell
Gallipoli
Half Baked
Flashdance
50 First Dates
For The Love Of The Game
The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas
The Bad News Bears
The Russia House
The Secret Of Nimh
Revenge OF The Ninja
Roman Holiday
Rob Roy
Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back
Remo Williams
Requiem For A Dream
Quigley Down Under
Pumpkinhead
Platoon
Once Upon A Time In Mexico
October Sky
Mystery Men
The Skulls
Titanic
Ronin
Romeo And Juliet (1968)
Tales From The Crypt: Bordello Of Blood
Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight
The Woman In Red
Top Gun
Street Fighter
TNT Jackson
Serpico
Seed Of Chucky
Scary Movie
Running Scared
Troll II
True Grit (1969)
War And Peace
Talk Radio
War Games
We Were Soldiers
What Dreams May Come
Windtalkers
World Trade Center
The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes
The Odd Couple (1968)
The Mask Of Zorro
The Great Train Robbery
The Faculty
The Dream Team
Best Of Times
Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot
Species

poo poo, that's a hell of a purge.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

NienNunb posted:

poo poo, that's a hell of a purge.

The new year always sucks like that. I remember they lost some really good poo poo when 2013 rolled around, like That Mitchell and Webb Look, Peep Show, and some other good poo poo that didn't have Mitchell and Webb in it.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Is this like a bunch of things in the past where they "expire" but then are renewed for 3 years and appear a day later? Or is this list related to some specific contract with some company?

If these are truly gone I might have to have a Perfect 10 Model Boxing Kids in the Hall marathon on New Years Eve.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The new year always sucks like that. I remember they lost some really good poo poo when 2013 rolled around, like That Mitchell and Webb Look, Peep Show, and some other good poo poo that didn't have Mitchell and Webb in it.

I still have Peep Show on my Netflix, fortunately, but it really sucked when I lost That Mitchell and Webb show.

Still, I can't believe we're losing Kids in the Hall, since Netflix has been one of the best ways to access those episodes for the last couple of years. lovely.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I still have Peep Show on my Netflix, fortunately, but it really sucked when I lost That Mitchell and Webb show.

Peep Show came back a few months ago with one more season than it used to. I like it, but it's way too stressful to watch when I want to unwind.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Still, I can't believe we're losing Kids in the Hall, since Netflix has been one of the best ways to access those episodes for the last couple of years. lovely.

How are they with renewing their licenses? Most of the time I have no clue certain movies are gone until they automatically pop back up on my list when they get renewed.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh god drat, well I guess I'll do my re-watch of Brick now rather than later.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

So while I was home for Christmas I was able to find american horror story on netflix through the iOS app, but it says its unavailable on the website now that I'm home. Anyone known what could be up?

I'm Canadian, if it helps.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

So while I was home for Christmas I was able to find american horror story on netflix through the iOS app, but it says its unavailable on the website now that I'm home. Anyone known what could be up?

I'm Canadian, if it helps.

I'm watching it RIGHT NOW in America. Sorry for your country :smug:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You guys know about the Hola! Extention for Chrome, right?

Regions no longer matter!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Yeah, Kids in the Hall going is pretty unfortunate. The whole series has come down to $50 on Amazon, but it's still one of my favorite Netflix marathons (so much so that I ran it twice!). Hopefully it'll still be there since "expiring" titles was always hit and miss, but that's too bad.

But since we're all talking about KITH, is Dave Foley's standup special (which just went up a few days ago) any good?

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

FadingChord posted:

But since we're all talking about KITH, is Dave Foley's standup special (which just went up a few days ago) any good?

I thought it was decent, but he totally steals Louis CK's "n-word" bit which is unfortunate.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Devor posted:

I'm watching it RIGHT NOW in America. Sorry for your country :smug:

Even using hola! It doesn't show up! I think I'm the target of a fairly pointless conspiracy.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Even using hola! It doesn't show up! I think I'm the target of a fairly pointless conspiracy.

Try searching for Canadian Horror Story, see if that helps :v:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

beanieson posted:

Try searching for Canadian Horror Story, see if that helps :v:

Pretty sure that's not on streaming yet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
We just finished all eight seasons of Weeds the other night. Starts out strong but goes off the rails pretty quick. But worth it if you like Orange is the New Black and want to see a lot of the same actors in different roles (same director too). The most accurate thing I've read about Weeds is, "If Breaking Bad had the same writers as Weeds, Walt and Jesse would have wound up cooking meth in a hot air balloon."

Started The Riches last night and it sucked us in pretty quick, though we're only two or three episodes in.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm really big on stand-up comedy.
Bo Burnham's What. is a very good anti-humor/black mixed media performance thing. Been following him for a while and this is the best thing he's done yet.
Currently getting through Dave Gorman Stand Up Live. and he's really a great storyteller with a doofy-rear end laugh.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I watched GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling recently and I absolutely loved it! It was a really fun and touching documentary about a women's wrestling league from the eighties that didn't take itself very seriously. I'm not a fan of wrestling, so I wasn't expecting much when I flipped it on, but it won me over with the over-the-top hammy wrestling-persona acting, rapping dance numbers, and an underlying heart of gold that could warm the iciest of hearts. I watched it with my girlfriend and we had an amazing time watching it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other quirky and fun documentaries? I've been on a documentary kick lately and so many of them are pretty depressing that I'd love to lighten the mood a little with something fun.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've been sick all week out-of-town with pneumonia. Perfect time to catch up on my movie queue.

Parker was better than I expected. Not as good as Payback (same character, slightly different plot, unfortunately not available for streaming) but a mildly entertaining action movie. Still not sure why Jennifer Lopez was in it though.

Finally got around to watching Slither as well. Didn't know much about it going in, but it had Merle from Walking Dead and Nathan Fillion too. Decent tongue-in-check horror movie.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Bounty Killers was entertaining in a B-movie kinda way. If you want guns, explosions, gore and generous cleavages accompanied by porn level acting in the stupidest possible setting, this is for you.

Ip Man on the other hand was very good. I think it's been said before but if you like Kung-fu movies but don't want the usual over-the-top portrayal of martial arts, check this out.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
If you want two oddball quasi-documentaries try London in the Raw and Primitive London. They're about nightlife in and around London in the mid 60's. I think this is when the oddball documentary craze was catching on, they're both interesting in their own right.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oh man speaking of offbeat documentaries, I Like Killing Flies is up on streaming. I haven't seen it in forever when I had to get it through the DVD service, I didn't think they'd ever stream it. It's about cook/philosopher Kenny Shopsin, a small restaurant owner (he used to have this tiny hole in the wall place, I think it's moved and expanded since then) in New York City who cooks this giant, insane menu of crazy comfort food and expounds his theories about life and food while tossing people out for not following his strict regulations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Foxhound posted:

Ip Man on the other hand was very good. I think it's been said before but if you like Kung-fu movies but don't want the usual over-the-top portrayal of martial arts, check this out.

Sadly the sequels went completely over the top.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
So I meant to go to bed relatively early, but I thought I'd put on another episode of Flashpoint, and, well, that's that. Y'all should watch this show, it's crazy goddamn tense because things can, and will, go wrong and those things have consequences. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
A whole bunch of stuff got added in the past few days, but none more important than Good Burger.

• Locked thread