Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

belgend posted:

I get to the third paragraph and I can only think of Slavoj Zizek wearing a Slovenian national team shirt and tugging and pulling it and so on and so on

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

quote:

The painful truth is that much of the entertainment on offer in the English League for a notable period has been based on a surfeit of errors and a limited application of tactics.

The propensity for harem-scarem, territory-based play led to unstructured goalmouth action and excitement for fans unable to recognise the difference between constructed chances and random event. The influx of foreign talent on the playing and management side has gradually ousted over-priced under-technically skilled English players, who were not as good as their cheap-seats media portrayed.
The fame you watch now is not lacking in entertainment, it is different. It mirrors more careful, more thoughtful, more intelligent Italian football, that does not over-value attacking in relation to defending.

There are now better educated managers, staff and analysts - with access to far better technology - that are capable of calculating the odds of success of on-field actions and patterns of play.

That this does not chime with Sun- reading simplicity and skewed views of yesteryear in terms of entertainment is simply too bad. We have - like many others - chosen to replace low percentage territory-based forward-thrusting with a more controlled and controllable balance. Any poor chess player can "nearly win" by attacking dramatically at the game's opening. In due course he of course loses. The glorious failure has been the English staple for ever.

mods rename me unstructured goalmouth action

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

a surfeit of errors

aeverous
Nov 13, 2009
Well then I want low percentage territory-based forward-thrusting

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
can I have harem-scarem please.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Is that the same loving dude? Does he have some sort of mental illness?

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

General Probe posted:

Is that the same loving dude? Does he have some sort of mental illness?

He's a plastic Norwich fan so presumably.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
It sounds like someones coded a 'Bloke in the pub > Dortmund fan' translation engine and it's working.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The grandiloquent sesquipedalianism is veritably remarkable.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

It's loving unreadable but I know for a fact he posts every "article" with a smug grin on his face awaiting a phonecall from The guardian to be a new pundit on their football podcast.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
"low percentage territory-based forward-thrusting" sounds like my junior year of high school, am i right, guys?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I've got dibs on "sepia-tinted arriviste"

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
I like that he used bouncebackability seriously.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Are we sure this isn't AVB?

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
he's a five-tool philosopher and no mistake

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Haggis Heed posted:

It's loving unreadable but I know for a fact he posts every "article" with a smug grin on his face awaiting a phonecall from The guardian to be a new pundit on their football podcast.

The guardian is too lowbrow for him. I exect he will do his own podcast with zonal marking man and swissramble man.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
That dude is amazing.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dibs on Sun-reading simplicity please

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
i really wish the mods would change everyone's name to (something / their desired phrase) from those posts

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
We will not reach top four that's for sure, and there's no point playing for rest of the places in Europe. Should we release all players like Young, Valencia, Rio, Vidic, Giggs, Hernandez and also sack David Moyes after we ensure non-relegation and then walk over all the matches and suspend all club operation to save money and use that money to buy some world class players so that next season we can at least get top four? Apparently I can't see us having any money, they don't buy any players any more, so saving money is important, right?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

oliwan posted:

i really wish the mods would change everyone's name to (something / their desired phrase) from those posts

I genuinely would but most of those names are too long for the forums.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Meat Wagon posted:

I like that he used bouncebackability seriously.

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
wrong thread roflmaoooo

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

aeverous
Nov 13, 2009

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
New favourite post

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Eboracum posted:

New favourite post

I seldom agree with you but this is one of those times.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Close the thread

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Hey guys, lifelong New York Yankees/Manchester Devils/London Chelseas fan here

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Hey guys, lifelong New York Yankees fan here

Have I got news for you.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

peak reddit?

aeverous
Nov 13, 2009

Checking the "Red Devils" reddit when Man U have a bad match is always fun but this one was peak reddit yes its off the charts

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

I love this.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

On the day Eusebio died.

Close loving football.

crappledan