Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

radical meme posted:

So question! Are the retail shops in Colorado to be supplied by licensed farming operations within the state; I'm assuming they are? Is this going to be all greenhouse grown or is some of it be open area farming? What is the optimal growing season for any grown open area? And finally, if open area farmed, what crops are farmers going to forego to plant weed instead? Is it something farmers can mix into normal crop rotations? drat this could be interesting from a agricultural standpoint.
Yes. However, for the first 8-15 months or so the state is requiring all retail shops to grow/produce/manufacture ~80% of everything they sell. I assume that this mandated vertical integration is an attempt to prevent grey market diversion.

The CO regs make provisions for greenhouses and outdoor grows both. However, the fencing, physical security, and video recording requirements are fairly stringent such that there won't be anything like just a big field of soybeans out somewhere outside of Olathe. As a practical matter, indoor grows seem to be the smartest way to go, and I've been told that all the high quality weed snob stuff almost has to be grown indoors. There is certainly a market for cheap weed, so I assume greenhouses and maybe a few open fields will be forthcoming. However, due to the security concerns weed won't be something a "regular" farmer will be able to simply drop into general farm land, as you'd need a dedicated field that meets all the security requirements.

The agricultural concerns would, however, apply in the case of industrial hemp, which CO also legalized pursuant to Amendment 64. Hemp grows don't have the requirements that you have to follow when you're growing the fun stuff. As far as I know, hemp has been an industrial crop since forever elsewhere and likely could be grown with other industrial crops. That said, IANAF (I Am Not A Farmer, if you aren't hip to the lingo).

As for the growing questions, I'd ask TCC. However, good luck growing anything outdoors in Colorado from mid-October to early May.

Also drove by both Lodo Wellness and Citi-Med today. Lines were just as long today as yesterday. It's Happening!

size1one posted:

(I ride for fun, not because I don't have a car)
pansy.

size1one posted:

You can actually manufacture in an apartment but you need signed approval from your landlord. My wife was interested in making edibles out of our apartment but that rule makes it nearly impossible. No landlord will sign off on that when it makes them vulnerable to ... property forfeiture.
I have my doubts about this, but I don't know gently caress about WA law. Landlord having their property seized because a tenant was making brownies seems spectacularly unlikely, but then again lol american legal system lol means anything is possible. Still, No way a landlord is gonna say yes, however.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Welp I just walked into a store and bought an eighth with my debit card. That was pretty cool.

e: Waited about 30 minutes in the waiting room. Super friendly staff, awesome experience, A++ would buy again.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

radical meme posted:

So question! Are the retail shops in Colorado to be supplied by licensed farming operations within the state; I'm assuming they are? Is this going to be all greenhouse grown or is some of it be open area farming? What is the optimal growing season for any grown open area? And finally, if open area farmed, what crops are farmers going to forego to plant weed instead? Is it something farmers can mix into normal crop rotations? drat this could be interesting from a agricultural standpoint.

Even with generous limits for growers, the scale isn't even remotely comparable to non-marijuana agriculture. You could fit all the marijuana plants in the state of Colorado on the corner of a standard farm.*

*Literally - talking in generalities here, but CO is estimated to consume 150,000 or so pounds of pot in a year. That's something like 600,000 plants, and at a very generous three feet between each plant, you can fit 4,840 plants in an acre. That's 124 acres - and the average farm in CO is 864 acres.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mintskoal posted:

Welp I just walked into a store and bought an eighth with my debit card. That was pretty cool.

e: Waited about 30 minutes in the waiting room. Super friendly staff, awesome experience, A++ would buy again.

I'm still kinda ticked that I have to pay cash in CA for everything, I want those Visa reward points! I can't complain though, because I'm still super spoiled compared to the places that don't have any form of legal weed.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mintskoal posted:

which one did you go to? Also what sort of record did the shop take of the sale? Did they put your name/address/other information in "The System"? I'm curious to see how the statewide Marijuana Inventory Tracking System is implemented.

And uuuuuhhh not to sound tinfoil hat or anything, but I'd probably use cash in the future. I wonder how the debit card processing and merchant accounts work with companies that can't have bank accounts.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The thread title has been answered it seems - lines out the door and the end of cash-only trade. Now to sit back and see what repercussions come about.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The thread title has been answered it seems - lines out the door and the end of cash-only trade. Now to sit back and see what repercussions come about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P_qjLhtA74

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm curious if there have been any arrests for weed-intoxicated driving since the opening or retail sales. I could imagine certain anti-weed interests wanting to play up any such cases.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

WampaLord posted:

I'm still kinda ticked that I have to pay cash in CA for everything, I want those Visa reward points! I can't complain though, because I'm still super spoiled compared to the places that don't have any form of legal weed.

Well if you live in the bay I know two places that take debit/any thing with a pin. Not counting the delivery services as most all of them take debit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

EBT posted:

Well if you live in the bay I know two places that take debit/any thing with a pin.

How is that possible? And, no, I live in Los Angeles.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp
I have no idea but both Garden of Eden and SPARC take debit. SPARC has on site volcanos too, and on black Friday a guy in line was puffing away on his Pax.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

WampaLord posted:

How is that possible? And, no, I live in Los Angeles.

Im in SoCal as well, and I think I've been to a handful of dispensaries that accept Visa/Mastercard/Debit. I've never paid with plastic, although it would probably be hilarious to read my CC statement and see "Mary Jane's Medical Conclave" or whatever on there.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

e_angst posted:

I'm curious if there have been any arrests for weed-intoxicated driving since the opening or retail sales. I could imagine certain anti-weed interests wanting to play up any such cases.

There have been in WA, they do blood tests which are awful because you could be stone sober at the moment and test positive.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
The downside that no-one in the liberal media is reporting:

quote:

Marijuana Overdoses Kill 37 in Colorado On First Day of Legalization
Jan 02, 2014

Colorado is reconsidering its decision to legalize recreational pot following the deaths of dozens due to marijuana overdoses.

According to a report in the Rocky Mountain News, 37 people were killed across the state on January 1st, the first day the drug became legal for all adults to use. Several more are clinging onto life in local emergency rooms and are not expected to survive.

"It's complete chaos here," says Dr. Jack Shepard, chef of surgery at St. Luke's Medical Center in Denver, "I've put five college students in body bags since breakfast and more are arriving every minute.

"We are seeing cardiac arrests, hypospadias, acquired trimethylaminuria and multiple organ failures. By next week the death toll could go as high as 200, maybe 300."

Shame.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

TenementFunster posted:

pansy.

I have my doubts about this, but I don't know gently caress about WA law. Landlord having their property seized because a tenant was making brownies seems spectacularly unlikely, but then again lol american legal system lol means anything is possible. Still, No way a landlord is gonna say yes, however.

I don't think it's very likely either but it's a non-zero risk which is unacceptable. In general, having a stake in a pot related business is only worth it at this stage if you stand to gain from it in a substantial way. So far legal pot has been allowed to move forward but the DEA is certainly watching closely. It wouldn't be a surprise for the DEA to make an example out of someone. It's also possible that in 2 years we'll get a "tough on crime" President who makes one last ditch effort to try and shut it all down. Popular support doesn't even matter because what the public are told and what the DEA instructed to do aren't always the same thing.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

which one did you go to? Also what sort of record did the shop take of the sale? Did they put your name/address/other information in "The System"? I'm curious to see how the statewide Marijuana Inventory Tracking System is implemented.

And uuuuuhhh not to sound tinfoil hat or anything, but I'd probably use cash in the future. I wonder how the debit card processing and merchant accounts work with companies that can't have bank accounts.

I went to Altitude Dispensary on Evans and Monaco. They took my ID and created a record for me in their system. I'm not sure if they added all of the info on it but they definitely took my name and birth date. My name was on my receipt and also on a sticker they put on the container the weed is in. Oddly enough the sticker says "For Medicinal Use Only".

I'm not too terribly concerned about the debit card thing, but yea, I intend on using cash in the future.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Goffer posted:

Shame.

Maybe the reason they're not reporting that is because dailycurrant is a satire website, like The Onion.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp
That would be why he made a sarcastic sounding post about it.

tl;dr :thejoke:

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

rockinricky posted:

Maybe the reason they're not reporting that is because dailycurrant is a satire website, like The Onion.

Oh really? Hypospadias and trimethylaminuria aint lethal diseases either (do not google hypospadias at work, do not google it at all :cry:).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Even if you had never heard of the site I think it became obvious once you got to:

quote:

One of the those victims was 29-year-old Jesse Bruce Pinkman, a former methamphetamine dealer from Albuquerque who had recently moved to Boulder to establish a legal marijuana dispensary.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Goffer posted:

Oh really? Hypospadias and trimethylaminuria aint lethal diseases either (do not google hypospadias at work, do not google it at all :cry:).

Yep, didn't get the joke. I should have just looked those diseases up in my code manual, to find out they're not lethal. I recognized trimethylaminuria because it was in a question on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire recently. Do not want. Hypospadias is weird, too.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
The Denver Post is reporting:

quote:

Longmont toddler tests positive for THC after acting oddly

Satur said the girl’s mother said she does not use drugs, but she told police she found the girl eating a cookie that she had reportedly found outside the family’s apartment complex on the 200 block of East Eighth Avenue about a half hour before the family headed to the store. [...]
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24834145/longmont-toddler-tests-positive-thc-after-acting-oddly

Thank god it didn't contain peanuts, the baby could have died!

Vira
Mar 6, 2007
So has there been any reports of increased road patrols or road side stops by neighboring states at the borders? I'm kind of curious to see what direction other states decide to take.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Vira posted:

So has there been any reports of increased road patrols or road side stops by neighboring states at the borders? I'm kind of curious to see what direction other states decide to take.

I imagine it would be treated like fireworks.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Goffer posted:

Shame.

I was really confused and worried at first, but then I checked out the website and saw it was Onion-esque parody website.

The Onion is still better. :mad:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

quote:

Marijuana Overdoses Kill 37...

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I was really confused and worried at first, but then I checked out the website and saw it was Onion-esque parody website.

C'mon man, even the DEA know that's impossible:

FYI, this document has been cited in SCOTUS: http://www.justice.gov/osg/briefs/2003/2pet/7pet/2003-0040.pet.aa.pdf

KingEup fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 3, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

KingEup posted:

C'mon man, even the DEA know that's impossible:

FYI, this document has been cited in SCOTUS: http://www.justice.gov/osg/briefs/2003/2pet/7pet/2003-0040.pet.aa.pdf

So... Why does the DEA continue to raid dispensaries and generally ruin peoples' lives, then? If even their own research shows that marijuana is harmless, why do they keep doing what they do?

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

TheRamblingSoul posted:

So... Why does the DEA continue to raid dispensaries and generally ruin peoples' lives, then? If even their own research shows that marijuana is harmless, why do they keep doing what they do?

Well, there's this thing called asset forfeiture you see and

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

mintskoal posted:

Well, there's this thing called asset forfeiture you see and

Right.

God drat it, it's stuff like this that makes me wish someone at the DEA would think about the greater good or, alternatively, burn it to the ground and salt the earth.

What a parasite on society.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Right.

God drat it, it's stuff like this that makes me wish someone at the DEA would think about the greater good or, alternatively, burn it to the ground and salt the earth.

What a parasite on society.

It's not even that though. I mean yeah that's a nice bonus, but the main impetus is to justify their own existence.

It's a lot harder to do that when the most popular currently illegal drug is suddenly legalized.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think people were unfairly piling on Powercrazy a few pages back. While I certainly agree that it's better that people aren't being imprisoned or dealing with cartels to get weed in medical marijuana states, it's also undeniably true that the entire thing is an almost complete sham and that opponents of medical marijuana legislation were absolutely correct when they said it was backdoor decriminalization and a stalking horse for legalization. However, the key point here is that this subversion of the process is on the whole a good thing. People weren't willing to support decriminalization without hiding it behind the aegis of medicine, and hopefully now the pretense will atrophy away.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Because they are the Drug Enforcement Agency. It's not theirs to wonder why.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

TenementFunster posted:

Because they are the Drug Enforcement Agency. It's not theirs to wonder why.

It's even a written requirement that the drug czar take the stance that all rescheduling of schedule i drugs is unplusgood.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

eSports Chaebol posted:

It's even a written requirement that the drug czar take the stance that all rescheduling of schedule i drugs is unplusgood.

doubleunplusgood.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Vira posted:

When I was driving back to Texas through New Mexico on I-25 and there was an undercover interceptor who was pulling people over right on the other side of the NM border. Made that drive several times and its the first I've ever seen that. Before driving home I did some news searching, and the only stories I found were about the Wyoming Highway Patrol twittering not to bring legal weed into their state, and one about Kansas saying they were keeping an eye out for anyone bringing weed into their state.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I'd imagine it's a policeman's/state trooper's/DEA agent's wet dream right now: any car that is coming out of colorado or could have conceivably come out of colorado is probable cause (in their eyes and probably the eyes of a fair number of lovely judges) for a search.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Hahaha no leaving a state with that state's license plates isn't probable cause for poo poo, stop spreading misinformation. Refuse all searches, my god people.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Or just don't break the law and leave it here? This isn't that hard. Please don't take our retail weed to other lovely states and ruin the entire thing because some bumblefuck sheriff howls that the demon plant is taking over his holler.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mintskoal posted:

Or just don't break the law and leave it here? This isn't that hard. Please don't take our retail weed to other lovely states and ruin the entire thing because some bumblefuck sheriff howls that the demon plant is taking over his holler.

You're naive if you think it's not going to spread like wildfire. If you're totally sober but have a bag full of weed in your car, how is the cop going to know unless you're dumb enough to have the bag open in front of him?

Refuse all searches, they don't have poo poo for probable cause unless they can smell it, and I assume the shops are selling it in airtight containers like they do in CA.

It's be ridiculously easy to smuggle weed out of CO if you put any thought into at all. Now, if it's illegal in your home state you're still flirting with danger, but once you have the weed home it's a lot harder for you to get in trouble.

E: VVV That's where you pull the "Am I being detained or am I free to go?" move. Sure it pisses cops off but you have to know your rights and state them loudly. Record that poo poo with your phone too, or have a passenger do it. They really don't care for that.

Everyone should watch the "Don't talk to cops" video on YouTube if they haven't already - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This is probably a dumb question but can't they just kill time until they get a drug dog on the scene?

• Locked thread