Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
When I generate a new character for to be a bishop or a mayor or a baron, how does it determine the culture/religion? Is it based off of my character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I haven't played this in quite a while but I'm thinking of starting up again. Is it worth picking up any of the bajillion expansions that seem to have come out in the last year?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

elf help book posted:

When I generate a new character for to be a bishop or a mayor or a baron, how does it determine the culture/religion? Is it based off of my character?

Correct. If you create new vassals in barony holdings they will have your religion and culture. But this is only temporary for mayors, because city elections will be "won" by somebody of the local (county) culture. I cannot recall if they will also be of the local religion.

I believe bishops will be succeeded by someone with the same culture as the previous holder.

Edit:

Earwicker posted:

I haven't played this in quite a while but I'm thinking of starting up again. Is it worth picking up any of the bajillion expansions that seem to have come out in the last year?

Legacy of Rome is basically required for retinues alone, as they hugely change the gameplay. It also really fleshes out Orthodox characters, even if you don't play Byzantine character.

The Old Gods gives you the most content for your money, including an earlier start date. Playing vikings is one of the most fun things to do.

The rest is up to you, in The Republic you can play merchant republics, which play quite different from feudal lords. Sword of Islam unlocks Muslims, Sons of Abraham unlocks Jews and improves Catholics quite a bit, while there are fewer improvements to Muslims and pagans.

Sunset Invasion can be fun, but it is the most uninteresting DLC.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 2, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Torrannor posted:

Correct. If you create new vassals in barony holdings they will have your religion and culture. But this is only temporary for mayors, because city elections will be "won" by somebody of the local (county) culture. I cannot recall if they will also be of the local religion.

I believe bishops will be succeeded by someone with the same culture as the previous holder.

Cool, that's the behavior I saw but since I didn't know what exactly it was tied to, I wasn't giving it my full trust and sometimes checking them afterwards.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

elf help book posted:

A completely new character will be your culture/religion. Barons will then continue with normal feudal mechanic, newly elected mayors will be of county culture, so will new bishops unless you have free investiture. Then bishops will be of their direct lieges culture. Bishops and mayors will also be always of your religion, religion of a county doesn't matter.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hellsjudge posted:

e: going well so far, but I turned my army into a raiding group after taking the county but didn't get any gold after looting a bishopric, is this because my ship wasn't near the coast? Does raiding have a limitation for coastal counties only?

Yes. Raiding only works for counties that neighbor you and coastal counties (including ones that border major rivers, if you're Norse).

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
How do you guys structure your empires? King level vassals are giving me huge headaches, but I'm addicted to increasing my dynasty prestige score so I have a hard time not handing them out. Do you bother with king vassals or do you just eliminate them whenever the chance arrives?

Any suggestions for interesting characters in the Old Gods start? I've played all of the ones the game suggests, but I've run out of interesting goals. I'm also interested in new challenges, like drifting Perm across the entire map or turning the entire map Basque culture or something bizarre like that. Any ideas?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

hypnorotic posted:

How do you guys structure your empires? King level vassals are giving me huge headaches, but I'm addicted to increasing my dynasty prestige score so I have a hard time not handing them out. Do you bother with king vassals or do you just eliminate them whenever the chance arrives?

Any suggestions for interesting characters in the Old Gods start? I've played all of the ones the game suggests, but I've run out of interesting goals. I'm also interested in new challenges, like drifting Perm across the entire map or turning the entire map Basque culture or something bizarre like that. Any ideas?

Well I don't think the thread has ever agreed on the subject of king vassals. Personally I like them since having tons of duke vassals is too much micromanagement for me but there are many who think they are too dangerous. They can be dangerous, it's true, but you don't want to be too safe in this game or things will just get boring.

Though if you are playing as the byzantine emperor you probably want to stick to duke vassals, since you can revoke them for free.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Disco Infiva posted:

A completely new character will be your culture/religion. Barons will then continue with normal feudal mechanic, newly elected mayors will be of county culture, so will new bishops unless you have free investiture. Then bishops will be of their direct lieges culture. Bishops and mayors will also be always of your religion, religion of a county doesn't matter.

I've found that new mayors/bishops are usually of your, not the county's, culture. They certainly can be of the county's culture, but I found it much more common that they were of mine.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

hypnorotic posted:

I'm having a very successful ironman run where I've formed the British Empire, went Cathar, and now control most of continental Europe. Almost all of my vassals outside of uncrowned England and Ireland are kings, and most are kinsmen. My succession type is absolute cognatic elective, and I keep a very close eye on my dynasty's newest children. When a genius pops up, I groom them for leadership, find a duchy or kingdom to hand them, and breed them with other geniuses. This ensures that my imperial dynasty always has at least a few truly fit leaders prepared to assume control.

When successions happen, there is a period of mild instability. Factions form, but at this point I'm so godawful rich that I can bribe my kings into submission. Civil war only broke once, and that was because I was too drunk to notice the Dangerous Factions marker. Then I pushed the Aztecs into the sea.

I am so absolutely in love with elective succession. With so many family members as dukes and kings, even if my hand-picked successor gets outvoted (which hasn't happened to me yet), it will likely be by a dynastic member of considerable skills. I have about 200 years left in my play, though, so we'll see if I can hold onto my borders in time to switch to EU4.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

marktheando posted:

I haven't even bothered picking up EU4.

It's been down to :10bux: a few times and I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. It looks like it trades all the CK2 events and intrigue for a shitload of diplomatic/war options.

hypnorotic posted:

How do you guys structure your empires? King level vassals are giving me huge headaches, but I'm addicted to increasing my dynasty prestige score so I have a hard time not handing them out.

I have king vassals whenever I A) take entire kingdoms for claimants who've gone through the invite->marry->press cycle or B) can put a guy of my culture on a tiny throne (like Wales) that otherwise would have people who hate me. Other than titles I don't feel like taking the hit for destroying, everyone stays a count unless it's convenient for you not to be a count. Playing for dynasty prestige is kind of the opposite of playing optimally, though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I am a fan of king level vassals. It just organizes the realm so well, though it does depend on your size. Currently I have a retinue of like 18k Knights/Skirmishers/Defenders so my retinue alone prevents revolts, never mind the 12k levy I have that I am oh so slowly actually upgrading. So when I last had a king level vassal being uppity...they had about 5% of the strength of the realm. Also it depends on your succession type/crown laws. I like Elective and Medium so that the penalty isn't much, and Elective actually winds up giving them bonus opinion.

Granted again this is as a Norse play through where I first took over Francia, and then made it my Thor given mission to wipe Catholicism off the map. Now that I've done that I have no idea what to do. Might release all my kings of my dynasty, might just let them become du jure members of my empire, I am not certain. I love the massive retinue that bankrupts me when they reinforce though.

And on the topic of the AI, I wish they'd play for stability a bit. The AI has a very much 'gently caress You Got Mine' attitude that means their realms all eventually implode. Granted that sort of thing is necessary to deal with the Karlings at an OG start, but seeing them be a bit more future minded rather than all about Gavelkind for more demense would be nice.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 2, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

marktheando posted:

Well I don't think the thread has ever agreed on the subject of king vassals. Personally I like them since having tons of duke vassals is too much micromanagement for me but there are many who think they are too dangerous. They can be dangerous, it's true, but you don't want to be too safe in this game or things will just get boring.

Though if you are playing as the byzantine emperor you probably want to stick to duke vassals, since you can revoke them for free.

I find this very revealing. Free duchy-revokations only pop up in connection to the Byzantine or Roman Empire, and it makes me wonder how many people in this thread have played Sword of Islam. All Muslim kings or emperors can revoke duchies for free by default!

Seriously, is decadence that much of a turn-off? You need to keep your dynasty rather small, but other than that it is not that hard to manage. And you have a ton of events and mechanics exclusive to Muslims that are quite fun. If decadence really bothers you too much you can mod it out.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I tend to favor high-diplomacy characters, which makes having King vassals a lot less rough. I prefer to have Kings whenever possible to ease up on micro-managing levies and reputation. Strong vassals are more likely to go out and grab land on their own, too, which is fine by me; most kings and dukes will be of my dynasty anyway.

Rebellions can happen but they make for a grand excuse to restructure a vassal kingdom to remove troublemakers or non-dynasty members from power.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Torrannor posted:

I find this very revealing. Free duchy-revokations only pop up in connection to the Byzantine or Roman Empire, and it makes me wonder how many people in this thread have played Sword of Islam. All Muslim kings or emperors can revoke duchies for free by default!

Seriously, is decadence that much of a turn-off? You need to keep your dynasty rather small, but other than that it is not that hard to manage. And you have a ton of events and mechanics exclusive to Muslims that are quite fun. If decadence really bothers you too much you can mod it out.

You got me, I haven't played as Muslims that much so I wasn't aware they could revoke duchies for free as well. I do dislike the decadence mechanic, but I usually play with CK2+ where it isn't a problem.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Torrannor posted:

I will totally admit that the reason I don't play Muslims is that after my first few characters I modded the game to let me play as a female ruler(Female council and enatic succession and all that). The being locked into agnatic open is pretty lame to me. I'll play through them eventually but yeah. I'm that girl.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Torrannor posted:

I played Muslims a couple times, but I much more prefer the intrigue and diplomacy style of play, more than constant war. :shobon:

Oh, also I love to have a massive family tree that ends up with my character somehow related to everyone in the world.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Torrannor posted:

Seriously, is decadence that much of a turn-off?

In a game about managing a royal dynasty, ottomurdering your family members just feels out of place. Decadence sounds about as fun and popular as Gavelkind.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
In terms of kings vs. dukes, I believe that the newest patch's levy changes make it so that you draw a higher percentage of a vassal's troops with the higher their rank, which makes kings more attractive than before.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

jpmeyer posted:

In terms of kings vs. dukes, I believe that the newest patch's levy changes make it so that you draw a higher percentage of a vassal's troops with the higher their rank, which makes kings more attractive than before.

Someone in this thread tested that, and the amount of extra troops you get is very small, not enough to make a difference really.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

marktheando posted:

Someone in this thread tested that, and the amount of extra troops you get is very small, not enough to make a difference really.

The difference was basically non-existent even. Which does raise the question, how bad was it before the patch? Did you actually get LESS troops for making a vassal king previously?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Eimi posted:

I will totally admit that the reason I don't play Muslims is that after my first few characters I modded the game to let me play as a female ruler(Female council and enatic succession and all that). The being locked into agnatic open is pretty lame to me. I'll play through them eventually but yeah. I'm that girl.

I am also that guy, any time I play CK2 I can't resist the temptation to create a matriarchal empire, usually with Enatic succession. So no muslims for me.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

I just got a 50% off voucher for this on steam but I already have the game, My steam id is http://steamcommunity.com/id/abccormac if anyone wants it

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I guess I'm just missing something here, but why is the High Chief of the Tribe of Lettigallians giving "not my de jure liege" and also a penalty for no real difference in rank when I try to offer him vassalage as King of Lithuania? It is within the de jure kingdom.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MrBling posted:

I guess I'm just missing something here, but why is the High Chief of the Tribe of Lettigallians giving "not my de jure liege" and also a penalty for no real difference in rank when I try to offer him vassalage as King of Lithuania? It is within the de jure kingdom.

High Chiefs of tribe whatever have titular titles, so they aren't de jure vassals of anybody. And high chiefs are duke equivalents, so they won't swear fealty to a king, being only one level up in rank.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MrBling posted:

Could be a primary title thing maybe? And the rank thing is possibly because there's only one degree of separation between High Chief and King.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

marktheando posted:

High Chiefs of tribe whatever have titular titles, so they aren't de jure vassals of anybody. And high chiefs are duke equivalents, so they won't swear fealty to a king, being only one level up in rank.

Ah. Guess I will just have to convince him with some swords then.

Another question, am I right in thinking that there are restrictions (cultural it seems) regarding who can you grant duchies too? I formed the duchy of Prussia and wanted to give it to one of the guys at my court but I could only grant them one of my other (lettigallian cultured) duchies. In the end I ended up just giving the duchy to one of the prussian fellas.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MrBling posted:

Another question, am I right in thinking that there are restrictions (cultural it seems) regarding who can you grant duchies too? I formed the duchy of Prussia and wanted to give it to one of the guys at my court but I could only grant them one of my other (lettigallian cultured) duchies. In the end I ended up just giving the duchy to one of the prussian fellas.

Did the guy you were trying to give it to not already own a count-level title within the duchy you were trying to give him? Or did you not have "Include Lower Titles" checked?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Drone posted:

Did the guy you were trying to give it to not already own a count-level title within the duchy you were trying to give him? Or did you not have "Include Lower Titles" checked?

He was completely unlanded, but I had checked to include lower titles and all I could give away were my own two duchies (Courland and Zemataija) and the various counties with the two duchies.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

MrBling posted:

There are no such cultural restrictions for granting duchies.

However, you can only grant duchies to people who are already land onwers (counts or above). If they're at your court, you need to give them a county first (so they gently caress off to their own courts). Fairly sure it needs to be in the duchy granted if its their first duchy, but I could be wrong on that.

e: beaten, but I think I added details. drat you, slow fingers!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Excelzior posted:

There are no such cultural restrictions for granting duchies.

However, you can only grant duchies to people who are already land onwers (counts or above). If they're at your court, you need to give them a county first (so they gently caress off to their own courts). Fairly sure it needs to be in the duchy granted if its their first duchy, but I could be wrong on that.

e: beaten, but I think I added details. drat you, slow fingers!

Ah well that explains everything. There's a lot of stuff that isn't really explained very well in this game but I suppose you learn as you go. I'm still adjusting from EU4.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Asking again as no-one bit:

Any way to reverse the decision to expel the knight's templar?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

MrBling posted:

Ah well that explains everything. There's a lot of stuff that isn't really explained very well in this game but I suppose you learn as you go. I'm still adjusting from EU4.

You can give a duchy directly to an unlanded character in your court if you also have a vacant county in that duchy to give. He needs to have a home somewhere.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Drone posted:

This is basically CK2 military expansion in a nutshell. Wait for your enemy to get into a realm-shattering civil war, then pounce. Usually works well, but can be frustrating as hell when you get an enemy whose realm is stable for like a century.

Or when it happens to you. Went from the conquering King Ioraslav of Rus, grandson of Rurik himself, to high chief of Novgorod, deposed by his incompetent brother who lost much of the lands of the Rus to the Finns and Germans. Upon finally taking back the throne from his treacherous brother, died to poisoned wine by his brothers minions. ANd subsequently lost most all but the baltics to independence wars.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

LunarShadow posted:

Or when it happens to you. Went from the conquering King Ioraslav of Rus, grandson of Rurik himself, to high chief of Novgorod, deposed by his incompetent brother who lost much of the lands of the Rus to the Finns and Germans. Upon finally taking back the throne from his treacherous brother, died to poisoned wine by his brothers minions. ANd subsequently lost most all but the baltics to independence wars.

What sucks is calling a holy war on a kingdom to find out she's in three different wars and it won't let me take half the map that was occupied by West Francia gently caress you Karling :(.

And now the pretty kingdom looks like a half-completed jigsaw puzzle.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

ThomasPaine posted:

Checked through the decision files, doesn't look like there is. It still could happen via event, but I can't really check those ATM.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

So I just got a 50% off crusader kings 2 card on steam. Since I already own this amazing game, for any of you who want it, give me a message on steam because you deserve this game too and you may aswell get it cheaper. Same steam name as my username here.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

ThomasPaine posted:

Asking again as no-one bit:

Have you tried giving them a barony?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just a heads-up: if you want to play Merchant Republics, it'll be worth it grabbing Legacy of Rome for the retinue system. Cities, and by extension City lords, have fewer and lower-quality levies; a mix of mercenaries and retinue units is what you want to use in wars.

MRs also get huge bonuses to retinue limits with their Palace upgrades, and fittingly enough, the ability to customize retinue army compositions means that you can build an army that can punch way above its weight thanks to tactics and innate combat bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What exactly does creating the Duchy of Venice do, as a Most Serene Republic?

• Locked thread