Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Does anyone remember this bad XBox game? It was a third person shooter, kind of, with two characters (a man and a woman) and jetpacks and air-dashing were a big part of it. Almost every level took place in a desert canyon, and you fought against some sort of alien or bug things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Does anyone remember this bad XBox game? It was a third person shooter, kind of, with two characters (a man and a woman) and jetpacks and air-dashing were a big part of it. Almost every level took place in a desert canyon, and you fought against some sort of alien or bug things.

Gunvalkyrie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0NrhLwjcJw

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

A GB or GBC JRPG where the main theme was capturing monsters and breeding/fighting with them. It was a terrible and ugly game, that had almost no story. I just remember breading "Giant Worm" with "Bat" or whatever. It was also hard as hell. Basically you had to defeat a boss to get to the next area, and the bosses were very hard. So you had to grind and breed until you could beat it, then move to the next town/dungeon/boss.

I remember hate-playing that game off and on for years, and now I can't think of the title and all google searches just bring up pokemon stuff.

Monster Summoner?
Dark Summons?
Necromancer Shadow?

Some poo poo like that.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 2, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Baldbeard posted:

A GB or GBC JRPG where the main theme was capturing monsters and breeding/fighting with them. It was a terrible and ugly game, that had almost no story. I just remember breading "Giant Worm" with "Bat" or whatever. It was also hard as hell. Basically you had to defeat a boss to get to the next area, and the bosses were very hard. So you had to grind and breed until you could beat it, then move to the next town/dungeon/boss.

I remember hate-playing that game off and on for years, and now I can't think of the title and all google searches just bring up pokemon stuff.

Monster Summoner?
Dark Summons?
Necromancer Shadow?

Some poo poo like that.

I don't know if I'd call it ugly, but maybe you're talking about Dragon Quest Monsters for the GBC?

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Mehuyael posted:

I don't know if I'd call it ugly, but maybe you're talking about Dragon Quest Monsters for the GBC?

Good guess, but no.
It had a dragonwarrior I like overworld and first-person battles where you can't see your characters. I think you had your main hero and then a few monsters you could bring into battle. It was all about experimenting with breeding and trying to find combos that produced new monsters instead of just a clone of the mother/father.

The theme was definitely dark, I think there were some biblical references and possibly pentagrams.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 2, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Sounds like Demikids to me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If it's a GB/C RPG with monsters and a dark theme it's very likely Revelations: The Demon Slayer (an SMT spin off).

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

al-azad posted:

If it's a GB/C RPG with monsters and a dark theme it's very likely Revelations: The Demon Slayer (an SMT spin off).
Yep this is it. Thanks!!

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
I'm trying to remember a racing game from the late 90s. It was some kind of futuristic racing game, everyone was in a ball, I think they were all green. All of the tracks were floating around cities and the like, I think. I remember playing the demo of it on a demo disc from a PC Gamer, probably around 97 or so. I wanna say the name of the game was a single word.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mortuus posted:

I'm trying to remember a racing game from the late 90s. It was some kind of futuristic racing game, everyone was in a ball, I think they were all green. All of the tracks were floating around cities and the like, I think. I remember playing the demo of it on a demo disc from a PC Gamer, probably around 97 or so. I wanna say the name of the game was a single word.

Pod?

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Mortuus posted:

Yeah, I remember playing the demo of this in '96-'97 and being terrible at it. Was it Scorcher?

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse

dads_work_files posted:

Yeah, I remember playing the demo of this in '96-'97 and being terrible at it. Was it Scorcher?

Yes, this was it! Thanks, I could not remember it for the life of me. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to play this any time soon. GOG needs to get on this.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Time to remember the name from a game I never actually played myself!

Years ago, I had to go with my parents to friends of theirs and their teenage son was playing some fantasy strategy game when we arrived. I remember he had a lot of Magic: The Gathering and Warhammer stuff in his room so maybe the game was from one of those franchises.

Any way, from what I remember the game had pretty high-quality sprites. He was playing as some faction that had elves, and I distinctly remember him having a flying dragon or drake of some sort. There were a lot of bright colours like pink, blue and green when it attacked.

You could erect buildings like in traditional RTS games, and I think he had trees for his elves.

The reason I'm asking is because I've gotten an interest in a good fantasy RTS game and that game suddenly struck me. Unfortunately our parents have had a falling out so I can't actually ask the dude in question, knowing next to nothing of him.

Again, I remember it had rather good graphics, at least for its time. If I had to compare it to a game, I'd say the style looked like Rise of Nations.
I've been looking all day now to find it again, and all I know is that it isn't Warcraft, it isn't Rise of Legends and it isn't Warlords: Battlecry III.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
It's not one of the Heroes of Might & Magic games?

Edit: Also, if you can remember, it's a lot easier to guess what you're after if you have the decade or even year it happened.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ah, no, it isn't. I've played HoMM and it definitely wasn't one of those (as it was real-time, not turn-based).

As for the year, uh. Definitely in the 2002-2010 range, but I really can't narrow it down.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 3, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dragonshard, maybe?

Edit: Could be Rise of Legends, a fantasy sequel to Rise of Nations.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 3, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Ah, no, it isn't. I've played HoMM and it definitely wasn't one of those (as it was real-time, not turn-based).

As for the year, uh. Definitely in the 2002-2010 range, but I really can't narrow it down.

Maybe Warlords Battlecry 2? You said it wasn't 3, but maybe?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It's not Rise of Legends (I have that installed :v:) and it doesn't seem to be Warlords Battlecry II. All of the units in the warlords series seem so... Plastic, I guess? When I remember detailed sprites.

I'll see if it's Dragonshard.

EDIT: hmmm, doesn't seem to be that either.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

It's not Rise of Legends (I have that installed :v:) and it doesn't seem to be Warlords Battlecry II. All of the units in the warlords series seem so... Plastic, I guess? When I remember detailed sprites.

I'll see if it's Dragonshard.

EDIT: hmmm, doesn't seem to be that either.

Wait you're saying sprites... Battle of Wesnoth maybe?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Maybe Total Annihilation: Kingdoms?

Or Majesty?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Could be Kohan or Kohan 2, those had elves and dragons. The second game uses detailed and colorful 3D units but the first uses big sprites.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I think it might just be Kohan or Kohan 2! Thank you, Al-azad!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deltasquid posted:

Any way, from what I remember the game had pretty high-quality sprites. He was playing as some faction that had elves, and I distinctly remember him having a flying dragon or drake of some sort. There were a lot of bright colours like pink, blue and green when it attacked.

You could erect buildings like in traditional RTS games, and I think he had trees for his elves.

This really sounds like Warcraft 3, but that's a pretty big name so I guess you'd have checked that already.

Also that was models and not sprites.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Zaphod42 posted:

This really sounds like Warcraft 3, but that's a pretty big name so I guess you'd have checked that already.

Also that was models and not sprites.

Nah, I checked it out and I'm fairly certain he was playing Kohan.

It's strange, I know quite a bit about video games and fantasy but I had never heard of Kohan before.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It was kind of a sleeper hit and pretty popular among the hardcore crowd for about 5 minutes until Warcraft 3 came out. TimeGate Studios went on to make the critically acclaimed AAA blockbuster Colonial Marines and they filed for bankruptcy shortly after because Gearbox paid them too well for their year of work.

2000-2004 saw a few alternative RTS releases like Kingdom Under Fire, Metal Fatigue, Stronghold, ORB, Hegemonia, Battle Realms, and even a Lord of the Rings game based on the books that was Warcraft 3 with the serial numbers filed off.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

al-azad posted:

It was kind of a sleeper hit and pretty popular among the hardcore crowd for about 5 minutes until Warcraft 3 came out. TimeGate Studios went on to make the critically acclaimed AAA blockbuster Colonial Marines and they filed for bankruptcy shortly after because Gearbox paid them too well for their year of work.

2000-2004 saw a few alternative RTS releases like Kingdom Under Fire, Metal Fatigue, Stronghold, ORB, Hegemonia, Battle Realms, and even a Lord of the Rings game based on the books that was Warcraft 3 with the serial numbers filed off.

Speaking of that era of strategy games, do you happen to recall the name of a tactical game in which you could use tanks and the like? I don't recall much, it just had a lot of customization, and the theme was guerilla/rebellion or the like.
Also, there was a card-based TBS, which I can't recall the name of, but I really don't remember anything about it, except it was fantasy-themed, and part of a series (sequel I think).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

C&C Generals is the only Guerrila themed RTS of that era I can think of. The other game is likely Etherlords or its sequel.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

al-azad posted:

C&C Generals is the only Guerrila themed RTS of that era I can think of. The other game is likely Etherlords or its sequel.

I'm not sure if it was RTS, from the screenshots it looked more like a tactical game, possibly turn-based, or maybe with a pause button?

And yeah, pretty sure it was Etherlords, thanks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I've got a few old Mac games I remember vividly, but the names of them aren't the easiest to remember, considering I was like, six when I last played them.

First is a game I remember really, really vividly. I think there was a plot where you were a scientist and you lost your car keys, so you went back in time to get them, but then poo poo happened. The main menu was a fully playable game of Space Invaders, and I think you shot an option at the top of the screen to begin playing or quit the game. The main game was comprised of several minigames with pre-rendered graphics. One of them had you playing as a dinosaur trying to cook eggs, another had you controlling a group of green cells in primordial soup fighting red cells. Another game had you as a beaver building a dam in a waterfall, and another had you swimming through an underwater cave. There were more, but I don't remember them quite as much. (Answered by boof. Game's name is The Time Warp of Dr. Brain.)

The second game I want to remember the name of is something I remember images of vividly, but only a few. All that I can really say for sure is that there was lots of electronic stuff and robots and a robot band. I think the main menu had options that reacted to you mousing over them, and the "exit" option was represented by an exit sign at a doorway that lit up when you moused over it.

The last game that comes to mind, I remember this because it loving terrified me. It had you in a hospital, with lots of pictures and detailed descriptions of things, and you could go outside but there was nothing but darkness, grass and the moon. Inside, you could start a timed game where you'd pick from a group of people, and go inside their body and you'd need to find something so you could save their life. It may have been a small part of an overall bigger thing that may have contained a thing with creepy early 90's 3D organs and bones including a heart with explorable insides (basically just hollow clayish insides) and every organ had a really insane CG video exploring the organs with a crazy flying camera. (Answered by Pablo Gigante. Game's name is 3D Body Adventure.)

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 11, 2014

Irate Sausage
Nov 7, 2009
I've been trying to find a game I saw in the Grognard games thread a year or two back but I haven't had any luck. It was a freeware game set on the eastern front during WW2 and you played as the general commanding either the Russian or German armies. The gameplay was just you making broad strategic decisions (send this army group north,have this army group try to defend it's position, etc), but you also had to follow arbitrary, randomized orders passed down from Stalin/Hitler or risk being dismissed. At the end of the game, it would show how many casualties were caused by your decisions versus those from the actual war and what happened to the general you were playing as after the war based on how closely you followed orders and whether your side won or lost.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

The Colonel posted:

First is a game I remember really, really vividly. I think there was a plot where you were a scientist and you lost your car keys, so you went back in time to get them, but then poo poo happened. The main menu was a fully playable game of Space Invaders, and I think you shot an option at the top of the screen to begin playing or quit the game. The main game was comprised of several minigames with pre-rendered graphics. One of them had you playing as a dinosaur trying to cook eggs, another had you controlling a group of green cells in primordial soup fighting red cells. Another game had you as a beaver building a dam in a waterfall, and another had you swimming through an underwater cave. There were more, but I don't remember them quite as much.

The Time Warp of Dr Brain.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Colonel posted:

The last game that comes to mind, I remember this because it loving terrified me. It had you in a hospital, with lots of pictures and detailed descriptions of things, and you could go outside but there was nothing but darkness, grass and the moon. Inside, you could start a timed game where you'd pick from a group of people, and go inside their body and you'd need to find something so you could save their life. It may have been a small part of an overall bigger thing that may have contained a thing with creepy early 90's 3D organs and bones including a heart with explorable insides (basically just hollow clayish insides) and every organ had a really insane CG video exploring the organs with a crazy flying camera.
This is 3D Body Adventure. It came with my family's first PC, a Packard Bell we got in 1994. You would go inside a patient's body and shoot viruses and poo poo. There was indeed an interactive encyclopedia kind of thing that had 3D fly-bys of various body parts/systems. A voice would very loudly announce each part during the fly-by.

LEFT FRONTAL LOBE
PARIETAL LOBE

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pablo Gigante posted:

This is 3D Body Adventure. It came with my family's first PC, a Packard Bell we got in 1994. You would go inside a patient's body and shoot viruses and poo poo. There was indeed an interactive encyclopedia kind of thing that had 3D fly-bys of various body parts/systems. A voice would very loudly announce each part during the fly-by.

LEFT FRONTAL LOBE
PARIETAL LOBE

Oh god you're right, there was a voice. That game creeped me the gently caress out with poo poo like that and the low-detail organs floating in complete blackness.

So now there's just that second game left that I can't remember as much of.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

So there was this one N64 adventure game. It was in first person, had a medieval feel to it, and you start out in prison and end up escaping into the sewers. I liked it as a kid, but I can't remember the name or any other details for the life of me.

faake edit: oh, I recall that there was a wall in the sewer that you needed a pickaxe to climb over.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

KillerQueen posted:

So there was this one N64 adventure game. It was in first person, had a medieval feel to it, and you start out in prison and end up escaping into the sewers. I liked it as a kid, but I can't remember the name or any other details for the life of me.

faake edit: oh, I recall that there was a wall in the sewer that you needed a pickaxe to climb over.

Probably Shadowgate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTRTU3RKShk

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Oh yeah, I remember that meat! Thank you!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I have a vivid memory of being back in daycare during 1st grade playing games on a Apple computer, and have always wondered what they were. One of them was a math/reading game where you piloted a sub through hazards and had to solve a problem at the end to progress.

The other was this vaguely creepy game where you had to explore this maze filled with colored worms. If you got too close to the worms, they would eat you, and poop you out the same color as them. Think there were doors that corresponded with the colors, so you had to be eaten in order to progress.

I played these around the mid-90s.

EDIT: Actually not 100% on it being a Mac, but it seems right.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 12, 2014

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

I have a vivid memory of being back in daycare during 1st grade playing games on a Apple computer, and have always wondered what they were. One of them was a math/reading game where you piloted a sub through hazards and had to solve a problem at the end to progress.

Operation Neptune? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Neptune_%28video_game%29)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Not nearly as cool as I remembered, but that's definitely it! I distinctly remember the combination lock math problems.

Now I really want to know about the worm game, because that poo poo gave me nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
EDIT: nvm