Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I like how the demo goes it has a lot of armor, maybe you should get something from the Norende weapon shop? Yeah, sure, just let me wade through the ridiculous wait times with only one villager, ya jerk. :mad: Streetpass in general just seems like a really ill-thought-out feature for people who don't live in Tokyo. I've gotten maybe ten streetpasses ever where I live, and I somehow doubt any of them will just happen to be playing Bravely Default so they can give me villagers.

I beat the turtle with a lvl 9 group and lvl 1 jobs on Normal difficulty without the Norende item shop. Ask me how!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I beat the turtle with a lvl 9 group and lvl 1 jobs on Normal difficulty without the Norende item shop. Ask me how!

You used Black Mage and equipped Ninja. You built up Bravery and applied the instant-dodge skill to reduce the damage it does once it actually goes on the offensive. Spam Blizzard once you hit max Bravery and Reflect is down, repeat until dead, heal when necessary. I did it at level 8 myself.

Or maybe you used something else although it was almost certainly magic-related unless you were incredibly patient. You don't need the weapon shop at all, it's remarkably easy to trounce the turtle with just Blizzard and proper application of skills.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 3, 2014

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

You used Black Mage and equipped Ninja. You built up Bravery and applied the instant-dodge skill to reduce the damage it does once it actually goes on the offensive. Spam Blizzard once you hit max Bravery and Reflect is down, repeat until dead, heal when necessary. I did it at level 8 myself.

Or maybe you used something else although it was almost certainly magic-related unless you were incredibly patient. You don't need the weapon shop at all, it's remarkably easy to trounce the turtle with just Blizzard and proper application of skills.

Yes I had a Black Mage with those abilities. However! I also had a Knight equipped with Bushido and a Longsword. The turtle focuses the majority of his single target attacks (he will occasionally target someone else, but it was pretty rare) on a non-Defaulting person on his attack phase, so I just had my shield equipped knight smack the turtle 4 times whenever he tried to do anything. Having a Lancer with White Magic was my primary healer, and he could have gone down quicker if I had put Singer on my Samurai.

I did almost lose because I dared to test if Reflect counters only one spell or all spells cast against it until its gone. Whoops. Interestingly enough if you manage to cast Protect on your whole party he seems to switch his attack patterns around. Clever turtle girl.

The next boss might be untenable at lvl 10 with the gear available though. I got a lucky Fire Rod drop but its just not enough.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I wound up just having my ninja Utsusemi power ups to do a little bit of extra damage with a buff from my singing Swordsmaster (who was just not able to do damage) plus a good measure of damage coming from two-hand Longsword Knight.

Also just noticed that on the status screen the fairy's face follows wherever the stylus is, how cute :3:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yea at lvl 10 with only lvl 2 classes (+ one lvl 3 class for each character) and only the equipment available from drops/primary town shops Minotaur seems impossible. My only recourse would be spamming Squeaky Wheel at a 30% success rate in order to eat Minotaurs turns before the second phase, in a desperate effort to keep me near max health. Too luck based will return with better strategies.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Levantine posted:

I registered you as a friend. My FC is 1821-9009-4750. I'm not certain how that works in the demo - can we at least swap characters for battle purposes? I guess we can't do villagers that way right?

Yeah I didn't know the demo is local streetpass only. We have to wait until the full game to become True Bravely Friends.

Also I'm really loving the game so far. Just going to toy with the jobs for a while longer and then wait for the actual game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Yea at lvl 10 with only lvl 2 classes (+ one lvl 3 class for each character) and only the equipment available from drops/primary town shops Minotaur seems impossible. My only recourse would be spamming Squeaky Wheel at a 30% success rate in order to eat Minotaurs turns before the second phase, in a desperate effort to keep me near max health. Too luck based will return with better strategies.
I managed it with four maxed Black Mages - Default up to 3, spam Fira, Brave down to -4, spam more Fira, and he died. Gotta do it quickly before he starts doing... whatever the heck he does about charging attacks, which I didn't trigger because I never hit him.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Sounds like I'm the only person that got stuck on the first demo boss in the cave. The aero the boss did would one shot all my party members :( It didn't help that I wasn't wearing any armor, but even with armor and mage gauntlets for magic defense I still had to grind someone up to White Mage level 2 for shell.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

mcpringles posted:

Sounds like I'm the only person that got stuck on the first demo boss in the cave. The aero the boss did would one shot all my party members :( It didn't help that I wasn't wearing any armor, but even with armor and mage gauntlets for magic defense I still had to grind someone up to White Mage level 2 for shell.

Silence works on her. :ssh:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The boss' weakness is silence. You can make her pathetic.

EDIT e;fb

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Also, if you don't have Silence, there's a secret treasure chest with an Aero-nullifying accessory in that cave

it's in the first dead end immediately to the right after you walk in, go all the way down into it, then go left and up and mash A until you find the chest

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

gently caress I'm an idiot and didn't even think of that :mad:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I managed it with four maxed Black Mages - Default up to 3, spam Fira, Brave down to -4, spam more Fira, and he died. Gotta do it quickly before he starts doing... whatever the heck he does about charging attacks, which I didn't trigger because I never hit him.

Yea I was trying to beat him without relying on class lvl 4 black mage Fira spam because that seems like overkill. Also I have this thing with the job system style games where I try to make everyone as unique as I can at any given time (everyone a different primary class, no more than two people with the same sub job). Crazy sperg stuff like that. I'm talking a break to see what I can come up with since I was able to get him to the second phase where he straight up attacks 4 times in a row with just the party I have now.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Also, if you don't have Silence, there's a secret treasure chest with an Aero-nullifying accessory in that cave

it's in the first dead end immediately to the right after you walk in, go all the way down into it, then go left and up and mash A until you find the chest
Wait, could you cast silence on the rock turtle boss!? That way I could stop if from using reflect.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Butt Ghost posted:

Wait, could you cast silence on the rock turtle boss!? That way I could stop if from using reflect.
I don't know, but I do know reflect wears off in like 3-5 turns if you can survive that long by Defaulting (and you can see if it's up by trying to attack it and waiting for its name to rotate out of the little bar.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reflect runs out pretty quick. Just start Defaulting as soon as it puts it up and you'll be ready to nuke it into the dirt by the time it runs out.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I'm talking a break to see what I can come up with since I was able to get him to the second phase where he straight up attacks 4 times in a row with just the party I have now.

A boss who regularly puts himself into negative BP trying to kill you is a boss who's leaving himself open. You can get good results by just defaulting until he does that, then using all that saved BP to heal up and wreck his poo poo while he can't do anything. Remember, guarding is never a wasted turn in this game, it just lets you do more later! :eng101:

Learning boss patterns and figuring out how best to use the brave/default system are a big part of this game. Although that's not to say that making good use of job abilities to survive the damage and/or exploit weaknesses doesn't help too.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
I am saddened at the number of people I see elsewhere on the Internet going "I walked out of town w/o talking to anybody or buying spells or gearing up or assigning jobs or learning about the BP economy and I got one-shotted by a single magic attack, 0/10 preorder cancelled" :cripes:

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Great game thus far but gently caress those Imps outside of town. Every other monster is manageable but the amount of times the Imp cast Drain is sickening.

What's the consequence for ending a battle with negative BP?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rasamune posted:

I am saddened at the number of people I see elsewhere on the Internet going "I walked out of town w/o talking to anybody or buying spells or gearing up or assigning jobs or learning about the BP economy and I got one-shotted by a single magic attack, 0/10 preorder cancelled" :cripes:

Games are kind of soft nowadays, so it doesn't surprise me that anything regarding any sort of thinking might be a bit too much.
It's not even like Bravely Default is hard on Easy/Normal, nor is it that Hard on Hard until you're doing things a bit early, but I can see why it's too much for some people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

Great game thus far but gently caress those Imps outside of town. Every other monster is manageable but the amount of times the Imp cast Drain is sickening.

There is none. Go wild with Brave on weak encounters. The game is designed with the assumption you will

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

glassyalabolas posted:

Absolutely goddamn nothing. Go for broke

e: Also the imps only show up at night, so if you're having trouble with them then run back to town when it gets dark and rest at the inn

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 3, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In fact, the game rewards you for ending battles on the first turn/without taking damage/killing everything with the same attack. All the bravest all the time.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
I've been playing the demo for this and oh it's magical. There are so many little RPG convenience options, I'm really excited for the final game. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check the options! Difficulty setting, adjustable encounter rate, even options to not gain EXP/job points/money if you're going for some kind of challenge. There's also the speedup option in battle by pressing right on the d-pad after setting commands.

So if you want to grind, encounter rate+100% and speedup, and if you want to progress the story you can turn the encounter rate down!

Also the game's cute as hell so that helps. :3:

heartcatcher fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 3, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I wasn't certain if I was going to get into this right away from the Demo. It's a little jarring the way it just throws you in and says "have at it", encounters are a little rough at first and the aesthetic took a bit of getting used to but now that I'm past the first mini-boss, I'm pretty sold. The Brave/Default mechanics add a lot of depth to longer encounters, the class system is pretty deep once you start getting some levels there, and the visuals are incredibly sharp for a 3DS game.

I think it's going to be a day one purchase for me.

EDIT: The encounter rate slider is a really genius addition to the formula. I'll tackle a dungeon under normal circumstances (normal encounters), explore it, loot the treasure then escape, save and head back in with no encounters on to beeline to the boss. Really handy.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 3, 2014

Thunder Sheep
Apr 3, 2009

Aurain posted:

Games are kind of soft nowadays, so it doesn't surprise me that anything regarding any sort of thinking might be a bit too much.
It's not even like Bravely Default is hard on Easy/Normal, nor is it that Hard on Hard until you're doing things a bit early, but I can see why it's too much for some people.

After heading outside town in the demo, I was almost immediately crushed by the first random encounter. I found it refreshing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ninja is just such a hilariously broken class. i assume it gets less broken against enemies that spam magic attacks but damned if it is't basically god against everything else. "Why yes, I would like to just be immune to attacks, get a huge damage buff, dual-wield weapons at full damage, and if I dip into Red Mage also get free BP back every time I'm attacked."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

glod posted:

I've been playing the demo for this and oh it's magical. There are so many little RPG convenience options, I'm really excited for the final game. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check the options! Difficulty setting, adjustable encounter rate, even options to not gain EXP/job points/money if you're going for some kind of challenge. There's also the speedup option in battle by pressing right on the d-pad after setting commands.

So if you want to grind, encounter rate+100% and speedup, and if you want to progress the story you can turn the encounter rate down!

Also the game's cute as hell so that helps. :3:

I'm in love with a video game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

ImpAtom posted:

Ninja is just such a hilariously broken class. i assume it gets less broken against enemies that spam magic attacks but damned if it is't basically god against everything else. "Why yes, I would like to just be immune to attacks, get a huge damage buff, dual-wield weapons at full damage, and if I dip into Red Mage also get free BP back every time I'm attacked."

Try adding the Swordmaster's Multitask support for extra death.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

This. I levelled a Swordmaster to 4 on Ringbell first and then started Ninja and it's ridiculous. Having a Performer in your party just increases that ridiculousness since they have an ability that grants BP to anyone in your party.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Mokinokaro posted:

The boss' weakness is silence. You can make her pathetic.

EDIT e;fb

So does this mean status effects are useful against bosses in this game? Or is this like old Final Fantasies where it turns out one of the few dozen bosses you fight is vulnerable against Stop or whatever and the only way you'd know that is if you either read a guide or wasted time trying out all your status effects and seeing what sticks? I'm hoping it's the former.

I'm liking the demo so far. How much harder is Hard mode, anyhow? I'm playing on normal right now just to get a feel for it, and to try everything out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Sadly you can't fit the Counter skill, the Comeback Kid Skill, the Red Mage's BPup skill and multitask all on the same person in the demo but either combination is completely death.

My all Ninja team with just Comeback kid and and Counter effortlessly wrecked the Dragon at level 10.

Also hilarious: 999 damage critical counterattacks.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 3, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Complexcalibur posted:

So does this mean status effects are useful against bosses in this game? Or is this like old Final Fantasies where it turns out one of the few dozen bosses you fight is vulnerable against Stop or whatever and the only way you'd know that is if you either read a guide or wasted time trying out all your status effects and seeing what sticks? I'm hoping it's the former.

They work on a number of them. There were a few fights in the full game where, after a number of tries, I went "poo poo, this is super hard, what should I do :saddowns:" and tried a status effect or a buff/debuff, and it worked. There's one in particular, who always has two adds at its side, and if you let them both stay up, they can confuse you and deal a lot of damage and the boss gives them extra BP so they can use extra turns to gently caress you over, and if you kill one, the boss starts buffing up itself and the add so that they basically oneshot everyone with their normal physical attacks, and if I killed that add it would just summon two other ones. It took me two tries before I tried using status effects, and then one failed attempt, and then I beat it, by using lots of Sleep and Stop. The enemies and bosses in this game always have enough HP for them to last a significant amount of time, so I couldn't just burn through it, either.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

If it would completely trivialise the fight in one move then you can probably assume it won't work though. You won't be landing a silence on the Red Mage boss, for example :v:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

It would be nice if the demo didn't plop down enemies that can inflict poison and OHKO team members right off the bat :mad:

Zeether fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 3, 2014

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Zeether posted:

It would be nice if the demo didn't plop down enemies that can inflict poison and OHKO team members right off the bat :mad:
Yeah, I walked out into the desert, ran into the first battle and a White Cait used Aeroga for 240 damage on my 140 health dude. Err, these are random encounters, right? :ohdear:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Zeether posted:

When a White Cait shows up, have your DPR Brave 2-3 times and focus fire on him

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

maketakunai posted:

Yeah, I walked out into the desert, ran into the first battle and a White Cait used Aeroga for 240 damage on my 140 health dude. Err, these are random encounters, right? :ohdear:

The trick is to Brave as much as you can on every character as soon as you start a fight and unload damage. It's not entirely obvious at first but that's how I one-round encounters around the town. Magic is nice, consistent damage if you have a Black Mage in your party

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Levantine posted:

The trick is to Brave as much as you can on every character as soon as you start a fight and unload damage. It's not entirely obvious at first but that's how I one-round encounters around the town. Magic is nice, consistent damage if you have a Black Mage in your party
Yeah, I was working off of power levels of other games so I Braved up my Knight to try out the mechanic and had him unload on White Cait, figuring he'd slaughter it and then automatically move on to the other two. Turned out 16x4 damage wasn't enough for even one kill :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

maketakunai posted:

Yeah, I was working off of power levels of other games so I Braved up my Knight to try out the mechanic and had him unload on White Cait, figuring he'd slaughter it and then automatically move on to the other two. Turned out 16x4 damage wasn't enough for even one kill :v:

Yeah, Knight isn't much of a DPR until she gets Two-Handed. Black Mage and Swordmaster are way better for damage at Job Level 1.

• Locked thread