Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

WampaLord posted:

Refuse all searches, they don't have poo poo for probable cause unless they can smell it,

:downs:"Officer, I refuse any searches"
:cop:"Welp, I smell weed, get out of the car"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Amused to Death posted:

:downs:"Officer, I refuse any searches"
:cop:"Welp, I smell weed, get out of the car"

Hey, it's risky but you're still incredibly naive if you think that the weed will stay contained to CO, poo poo will be shipped everywhere if nothing else. Shipping weed is much less risky than physically taking it, you can leave off a return address and just put stamps on a box.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Hey, it's risky but you're still incredibly naive if you think that the weed will stay contained to CO,

Oh, I know it won't, hell if I lived in New Mexico or something I'd be one of the people taking weed out of CO. I'm just saying the whole "I refuse to consent to any searches" thing doesn't quite always work out the way people hope.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Amused to Death posted:

Oh, I know it won't, hell if I lived in New Mexico or something I'd be one of the people taking weed out of CO. I'm just saying the whole "I refuse to consent to any searches" thing doesn't quite always work out the way people hope.

You realize that you can almost certainly get illegal weed in New Mexico without going to Colorado for your illegal weed.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Dusseldorf posted:

You realize that you can almost certainly get illegal weed in New Mexico without going to Colorado for your illegal weed.

It's the novelty. Same in CO, going by receipts I saw posted it looked like an 1/8 of good weed was going for around $45. A lot of people waiting in those lines probably could've got weed on the black market for the same price and not have to stand in the snow for an hour, but loving legal marijuana stores. 5 years ago I thought it'd take another 20 years to reach this point.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Amused to Death posted:

5 years ago I thought it'd take another 20 years to reach this point.

Seriously. I remember seeing the NORML booth at college back in 2003 and laughing at them. "You dumb hippies, we're never going to have legal weed in America."

How times have changed.

E: VVV The people too dumb to refuse a search aren't going to listen to anyone's advice so there's no point worrying about them, they'll get caught and busted.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 3, 2014

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

WampaLord posted:

You're naive if you think it's not going to spread like wildfire. If you're totally sober but have a bag full of weed in your car, how is the cop going to know unless you're dumb enough to have the bag open in front of him?

Refuse all searches, they don't have poo poo for probable cause unless they can smell it, and I assume the shops are selling it in airtight containers like they do in CA.

It's be ridiculously easy to smuggle weed out of CO if you put any thought into at all. Now, if it's illegal in your home state you're still flirting with danger, but once you have the weed home it's a lot harder for you to get in trouble.

E: VVV That's where you pull the "Am I being detained or am I free to go?" move. Sure it pisses cops off but you have to know your rights and state them loudly. Record that poo poo with your phone too, or have a passenger do it. They really don't care for that.

Everyone should watch the "Don't talk to cops" video on YouTube if they haven't already - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

I can still ask that people don't break the law because we're on thin ice as it is. The people dumb enough to get caught with it are the same people who are too stupid to refuse a search.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I thought refusing a search would prevent me from being caught ever too since I almost never get pulled over and my car had never been searched but then I got in a car crash, the cops tore apart my car while I was in the ambulance. Transporting pot in your car is risky plain in simple, I'm not even going to think about it again until it's legal here. To add insult to the injury my car is the only place I could have stored my pot where I could actually receive a criminal charge for doing so, even though I had no means on me to actually consume the pot.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

I thought refusing a search would prevent me from being caught ever too since I almost never get pulled over and my car had never been searched but then I got in a car crash, the cops tore apart my car while I was in the ambulance. Transporting pot in your car is risky plain in simple, I'm not even going to think about it again until it's legal here. To add insult to injury the car is the only place I could have stored my pot where I could actually receive a criminal charge for doing so, even though I had no means on me to actually consume the pot.

Look, I'm not personally recommending goons go do this, it's illegal and you shouldn't do it. I'm just saying that it's going to happen and the surrounding states are going to be literally flooded with weed (if they weren't already.)

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

mintskoal posted:

I can still ask that people don't break the law because we're on thin ice as it is. The people dumb enough to get caught with it are the same people who are too stupid to refuse a search.

Yeah, man. Cops are never intimidating, especially when you're paranoid.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

WampaLord posted:

Look, I'm not personally recommending goons go do this, it's illegal and you shouldn't do it. I'm just saying that it's going to happen and the surrounding states are going to be literally flooded with weed (if they weren't already.)

Yeah I agree, sorry I wasn't addressing that at you specifically. I just want to warn people that may be as naive as I was.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Internet Webguy posted:

Yeah, man. Cops are never intimidating, especially when you're paranoid.

So don't travel with something illegal in your car if you're too paranoid to keep your poo poo together if/when you get stopped. Good lord.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
How much longer can the patchwork state law system really hold? Alcohol Prohibition began and ended with a full-on constitutional amendment. I'm optimistic because legality was even allowed to transpire to begin with, but I temper that optimism because, as pointed out, trafficking, can and will occur.

As an open question, do you think that a federal challenge to the schedule of cannabis is inevitable? What happens if that challenge is lost?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Full Battle Rattle posted:

How much longer can the patchwork state law system really hold? Alcohol Prohibition began and ended with a full-on constitutional amendment. I'm optimistic because legality was even allowed to transpire to begin with, but I temper that optimism because, as pointed out, trafficking, can and will occur.

As an open question, do you think that a federal challenge to the schedule of cannabis is inevitable? What happens if that challenge is lost?

If there is a federal challenge to marijuana's scheduling, and it succeeds, the best you could hope for is probably Schedule III:

quote:

Schedule III substances are those that have the following findings:

A. The drug or other substance has a potential for abuse less than the drugs or other substances in schedules I and II.
B. The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
C. Abuse of the drug or other substance may lead to moderate or low physical dependence or high psychological dependence.

That would make medical marijuana laws comply with the Constitution, but it would still make recreational marijuana illegal because it's a controlled substance.

edit: There's a possibility for lower scheduling but the point I'm making is that as long as marijuana is a scheduled drug then recreational weed is illegal.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 3, 2014

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

computer parts posted:

C. Abuse of the drug or other substance may lead to moderate or low physical dependence or high psychological dependence.

Marijuana fails the "physical dependence" part of this requirement. It's less than "low" it's "zero." Now, psychological dependence is a whole 'nother story.

Smoke weed everyday.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WampaLord posted:

Marijuana fails the "physical dependence" part of this requirement. It's less than "low" it's "zero." Psychological dependence is a whole 'nother story.

Which is why it could also be Schedule IV:

quote:

Abuse of the drug or other substance may lead to limited physical dependence or psychological dependence relative to the drugs or other substances in schedule III

I mainly picked Schedule III because the psychological dependence is arguable but it really doesn't matter as long as it's still scheduled at all.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WampaLord posted:

You're naive if you think it's not going to spread like wildfire. If you're totally sober but have a bag full of weed in your car, how is the cop going to know unless you're dumb enough to have the bag open in front of him?

Refuse all searches, they don't have poo poo for probable cause unless they can smell it, and I assume the shops are selling it in airtight containers like they do in CA.

It's be ridiculously easy to smuggle weed out of CO if you put any thought into at all. Now, if it's illegal in your home state you're still flirting with danger, but once you have the weed home it's a lot harder for you to get in trouble.

E: VVV That's where you pull the "Am I being detained or am I free to go?" move. Sure it pisses cops off but you have to know your rights and state them loudly. Record that poo poo with your phone too, or have a passenger do it. They really don't care for that.

Everyone should watch the "Don't talk to cops" video on YouTube if they haven't already - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

I like how you assume slightly dodgy taililights, going 1 mph over the speed limit, and all the other state trooper "pull over quota" tricks don't exist? If you're crossing into one of the surrounding rear end in a top hat states, the cops are going to be looking for any reason whatsoever to pull over a car leaving colorado with the hope of finding some weed.

The fact that it's "easy" to smuggle it out is exactly why every hick cop within an hour of the border is going to find a reason to pull people ever.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Install Windows posted:

I like how you assume slightly dodgy taililights, going 1 mph over the speed limit, and all the other state trooper "pull over quota" tricks don't exist? If you're crossing into one of the surrounding rear end in a top hat states, the cops are going to be looking for any reason whatsoever to pull over a car leaving colorado with the hope of finding some weed.

The fact that it's "easy" to smuggle it out is exactly why every hick cop within an hour of the border is going to find a reason to pull people ever.

I got pulled over by narcotics interdiction on my way to Florida, they boxed me in and forced me to change lanes a little less safely than I would have liked, then pulled me over for "repeatedly changing lanes and weaving in the lanes." Less than one minute later, they had two more unmarked units and a K-9 searching my car. I didn't refuse because my wife was with me and the car was clean, but I just about wanted to spit. One guy takes to me while they went through it--explaining what the dog's alert would look like, had I ever smoked pot, why did I look so nervous, etc. I was supposed to pretend this was a regular traffic stop the whole time, just insulting.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Yesterday I visited the local shop and purchased a pack of gummies for $11.00 after tax (50% Colorado resident discount). It's 10 gummies at 10mg THC per candy. They only allowed two people to the sales counter at a time and I had to wait about five minutes total. They carded me when I came in and carded me at the counter where they gave me my discount. I saw no recordkeeping whatsoever and everyone was very nice.

I took one of the candies last night and holy hell did it knock me on my rear end compared to the stuff my buddy was making and providing me with. Gonna only take half of one next time. A++ will buy again.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

So because you had a woman with you you decided to suspend all your rights? Huh? Did you think that dainty little thing is prone to fainting spells or something?

You guys are just paranoid if you think state highway patrols care much about what neighboring states or or have the excess LEO/judicial resources to pull over cars going 1 mph over near the border. My god, chill out.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

19 o'clock posted:

Yesterday I visited the local shop and purchased a pack of gummies . It's 10 gummies at 10mg THC per candy.

See if they start getting Korova bars. 50mg a dose 20 dose cookie the size of a pack of index cards.

EBT fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 4, 2014

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Vira posted:

So has there been any reports of increased road patrols or road side stops by neighboring states at the borders? I'm kind of curious to see what direction other states decide to take.

It will vary greatly from state to state depending on that state's laws.

Oregon decriminalized and possession up to an ounce is only a $500-1000 fine. The first dispensaries there will open sometime later this year. I don't expect any more patrols than normal. As it is I rarely see police right by the border even though they have a cutout near the end of the I-205 bridge.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

'decriminalization' is really just a hefty tax, now that I think about it. It balances out because you only have to pay it if you get caught.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, there are probably a lot of people out there that would refrain from partaking unless it was actually fully legal. There must be some first timers in Colorado at the moment.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ardennes posted:

Granted, there are probably a lot of people out there that would refrain from partaking unless it was actually fully legal. There must be some first timers in Colorado at the moment.

Count me as one of those once stuff starts being freely available in Washington. Only interested in edibles but my curiosity has never been strong enough to seek them out or deal with any potential legal problems.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Republicans posted:

Count me as one of those once stuff starts being freely available in Washington.

Same here. I'm interested in testing it out as a sleep aid and I'd never cared to expose myself to legal liability for that. I bet there's pretty sizable pent up demand for all kinds of reasons.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
if you drive with anything illegal in your car for any distance, especially on some multistate pot road trip, you're a stupid motherfucker.

if a cop wants to get you, he knows half a dozen ways to make sure you are getting got. don't risk it.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

TenementFunster posted:

I have my doubts about this, but I don't know gently caress about WA law. Landlord having their property seized because a tenant was making brownies seems spectacularly unlikely, but then again lol american legal system lol means anything is possible. Still, No way a landlord is gonna say yes, however.

Reaching back a little bit, but 21 USC § 856, the federal "crack house" law, makes it a felony and subjects the property to forfeiture if the owner permits it to be used for manufacture, distribution or use of a controlled substance. So yes, the landlord could have his property seized if he allows a tenant to make brownies. Feds would have to do it though.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

CommanderApaul posted:

Reaching back a little bit, but 21 USC § 856, the federal "crack house" law, makes it a felony and subjects the property to forfeiture if the owner permits it to be used for manufacture, distribution or use of a controlled substance. So yes, the landlord could have his property seized if he allows a tenant to make brownies. Feds would have to do it though.

You have to have knowledge of that use. You'll probably have to go to court, but you won't forfeit it ultimately.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

CommanderApaul posted:

I was originally referring to apartments but this applies to commercial property as well. Looks like it has been used to intimidate landlords into not renting to dispensaries. The case was eventually dropped but the threat to other landlords is still there.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

You have to have knowledge of that use. You'll probably have to go to court, but you won't forfeit it ultimately.

Washington state law requires the property owner to sign a statement acknowledging and authorizing the business. They can't deny knowledge of the business. Not true in all states, but this discussion started from applications filed for what are clearly rental properties in Wa state.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Accretionist posted:

Same here. I'm interested in testing it out as a sleep aid and I'd never cared to expose myself to legal liability for that. I bet there's pretty sizable pent up demand for all kinds of reasons.

Same boat - I wouldn't try it until it was technically legal to possess. There's some fruit leather edibles that are awesome for sleeping and honey sticks that are pretty good around here. I've never been in it for the high but i've got some chronic pain and the sleep problems that i've wanted to address and weed is truly magical. I was never really comfortable with getting a medical card because i'm just afraid having one could hurt future job prospects :\

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Alcohol prohibition, to my knowledge, actually ended by juries refusing to prosecute or declare guilty anyone charged with it. Vox populii or whatever. Then it became an amendment. But I am pretty sure it started with juries, which is what the creator the Wire suggested we do with drug crimes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Then again it requires mending the huge schism between the public and the legislative process.

Id like that to exist. A country where a person does not feel entirely relegated to an inaudible voice when standing next to corporate and political interest.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Accretionist posted:

The impact on how you sleep is one of the reasons I'm curious about it. I don't have problems sleeping but pretty much every night I dream so extensively that it in itself feels tiring. I've heard how marijuana can prolong the deep sleep phase and, in turn, shorten the REM sleep phase when dreaming happens. It'd be nice to have something to tell my brain to shut the gently caress up for one night.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

I'm in the military right now, so i can't touch it, but I have problems with sleep stemming from deployment. I'm moving to Colorado (for unrelated reasons) when I get out, and I'm curious to see if it helps my insomnia.

Also, It's 2014. This thread is really due for a title change, or maybe a new thread altogether.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Alcohol prohibition, to my knowledge, actually ended by juries refusing to prosecute or declare guilty anyone charged with it. Vox populii or whatever. Then it became an amendment. But I am pretty sure it started with juries, which is what the creator the Wire suggested we do with drug crimes.

This isn't true at all, refusal to prosecute had been going pretty much as soon as prohibition started.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Also, It's 2014. This thread is really due for a title change, or maybe a new thread altogether.

You have a point, we have got form "could it happen?" to "what stores in Denver have the best prices?"

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Republicans posted:

The impact on how you sleep is one of the reasons I'm curious about it. I don't have problems sleeping but pretty much every night I dream so extensively that it in itself feels tiring. I've heard how marijuana can prolong the deep sleep phase and, in turn, shorten the REM sleep phase when dreaming happens. It'd be nice to have something to tell my brain to shut the gently caress up for one night.

A nice indica will do wonders for sleep. I've used it for a while now for sleep and there's nothing better. You wake up feeling refreshed and not groggy. Highly recommended. Seriously.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Republicans posted:

Haha don't worry, after smoking some ganja it's just blackness until I wake up, maybe some short vignettes that are mostly emotions or landscapes. If I want to dream a lot, Ill abstain from marijuana or drink a little alcohol before bed (holy poo poo, if you haven't gotten loaded and then gone to sleep before...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I wouldn't mind if the dreams were more interesting, like the time a new Left 4 Dead game starred the Golden Girls and took place in a burning city. Toward the end a building collapsed that split up Dorothy and Rose from Blanche and Sophia. But it's mostly just utter nonsense and lots of it. :(

• Locked thread