Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

My wife says behind/under the house is fine, in the basement is a maybe - she doesn't think there's really enough space there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
Everyone is talking about putting their bikes away for the winter, and I am just here loving my heated grips and looking at heated gear.

Does anyone have any exprence with heated gear? And recommendations? Anything I should look for when I am shopping around?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

codered11343 posted:

Everyone is talking about putting their bikes away for the winter, and I am just here loving my heated grips and looking at heated gear.

Does anyone have any exprence with heated gear? And recommendations? Anything I should look for when I am shopping around?

I've got the FirstGear heated jacket liner, and it's great at the warming, but a little cheaply made. I'm on my second one. It's nicest feature is that it comes with the switch controller thing. I've used the FirstGear Carbon globes, and they were really inconsistent heat. I've got a pair of Gerbings now, and they work really well, but I wish they'd get a little warmer. If I had heated grips, they'd probably be all I needed.

At right around freezing, my gloves/jacket/balaclava setup gives me around half an hour on the highway on a naked bike before the rest of me gets too cold, which is enough for commuting into DC.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Whats the plan for tomorrow? Weather's still looking decent, high 61 low and should be mid 50s by mid morning.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Meet at the Exxon station around 9:00?

I was thinking we could head up Clara Barton to River Rd and take that to White's Ferry (a good bit of River Rd on that stretch is gravel). Then either head over to some of the gravel in Virginia or continue up to around Sugarloaf and up to Frederick. I've ridden some of the roads near Sugarloaf Mt but nothing north of that. Supposedly the Frederick Municipal Forest just north of Frederick has some fun roads.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Sounds good. Looks like there's plenty of riding up there to keep us busy for as long as we want.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Koruthaiolos posted:

Meet at the Exxon station around 9:00?

I was thinking we could head up Clara Barton to River Rd and take that to White's Ferry (a good bit of River Rd on that stretch is gravel). Then either head over to some of the gravel in Virginia or continue up to around Sugarloaf and up to Frederick. I've ridden some of the roads near Sugarloaf Mt but nothing north of that. Supposedly the Frederick Municipal Forest just north of Frederick has some fun roads.

About what time do you expect to be at White's Ferry? I'm not sure I can make 9 at the Exxon but I can probably make it to the ferry around 10 or anytime afterwards.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

ought ten posted:

Sounds good. Looks like there's plenty of riding up there to keep us busy for as long as we want.

I'm out bros, sorry, doody calls.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

lowcrabdiet posted:

About what time do you expect to be at White's Ferry? I'm not sure I can make 9 at the Exxon but I can probably make it to the ferry around 10 or anytime afterwards.

That should work, I think we'll get to White's Ferry somewhere around 10 or a little after.

HNasty posted:

Now what excuse will we have to hang out at the Exxon for an extra 30 minutes imagining pushing people down the exorcist stairs?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

HNasty posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

ought ten, lowcrabdiet, and I went for a ride today. I call it an Ode to Road Surfaces:

Nice Asphalt:

Bad Asphalt:

Gravel in a Field:

Gravel in the Woods:

We Can't Decide if We Want Concrete or Gravel:

Nice Hard Mud:

And Finally, Oh No Where's the Road?:

Bonus! We surprise a lady by catching her trying to strangle her dog while no one is around:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Koruthaiolos posted:

And Finally, Oh No Where's the Road?:

Awesome. Next time I'll pack my flip flops and let's just do stream crossings all day.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Mr. Eric Praline taught me how to fish yesterday:

We did the first valve adjustment (PO never did one), replaced the coolant and new plugs. We also removed the hackjob underglow kit that was on the bike when I purchased it. This was the first maintenance I have done beyond the basics and cannot wait to tear it down again.

Koruthaiolos posted:

Ode to Road Surfaces

Awesome pics, looks like that was a lot of fun. I know I say it all the time but I really want a supermoto.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hot sauce posted:

This was the first maintenance I have done beyond the basics and cannot wait to tear it down again.

:cool::respek::cool:

Exactly how I felt when I did my first valve check.

e: Amongst other feelings, such as "oh my loving god PO, three of these valves have NO CLEARANCE AT ALL :tizzy:"

M42 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 11, 2013

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

e: Amongst other feelings, such as "oh my loving god PO, three of these valves have NO CLEARANCE AT ALL :tizzy:"

Only 2 of mine were out of spec, but there were a few other questionable things from the PO. That underglow kit was such a rats nest of wires we just decided to remove it altogether. It looks a lot cleaner now.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

RIP underglow kit. I didn't know you but you seemed really cool.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

hot sauce posted:

Only 2 of mine were out of spec, but there were a few other questionable things from the PO. That underglow kit was such a rats nest of wires we just decided to remove it altogether. It looks a lot cleaner now.
We can always put it back in, using highly advanced technical procedures such as not bundling extra wire in a ball of duct tape.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Here's some video of the water crossing - with some sweet transition effects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zCj74q6RA

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
might as well share mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URjSwLpWc9s

and bonus video where I almost get a face full of gravel at 0:38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaLfRld_soI

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Dang, that was a nice save.

Quick question for you or ought ten. Was my brake light really strobing like that the whole time or is that just an artifact from the camera's framerate? I think it's supposed to just flash a couple times each time I engage the brakes, but if it does that all the time I think I can change the settings to operate normally.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah that's just a video thing. It was working like it should.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Any of you guys ever ride with these folks?

http://www.meetup.com/virginiasportriders/

A friend from work told me about it and said they do sane grouprides. I joined just to keep an eye on their events to see if something fun pops up.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

50s tomorrow. Anyone have work off?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'm driving out to my parent's place near Middleburg tomorrow. I'm trying to convince my wife to let me ride out while she drives with the dog. I do have to work during the day though. The earliest I'd be able to leave is around 3:00.

Koruthaiolos fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 20, 2013

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
Can't do tomorrow what with work, but I'm riding on Saturday. Not sure what the plan is yet tho.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Koruthaiolos posted:

I'm driving out to my parent's place near Middleburg tomorrow. I'm trying to convince my wife to let me ride out while she drives with the dog. I do have to work during the day though. The earliest I'd be able to leave is around 3:00.

3's probably a little late for me to start because I'd be making a round trip. Saturday I'm out of here for Christmas. Oh well. There will be more nice weather.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
So Jan 26, /Why we Ride/ will be screening at the Georgetown IMAX *IF* 94 more people buy tickets. So go buy a ticket and we can all ride there in the cold like crazy people.

http://whyweridefilm.com/

Tix available at http://www.tugg.com/events/7207

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 4, 2014

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just reserved my ticket. They did a showing in December at the smithsonian and it sold out quickly. Hopefully this one sells enough tickets as more people find out about it.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'm in. Just a heads up, you have an extra period in the tugg.com address.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Got mine.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

ditto

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
Progressive international motorcycle show is this weekend in DC. Anyone going?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I should be in town on Friday and Saturday. What day are you going?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
Me and Whitney will be there on Saturday. Looks like at least one other person I know is coming with us too.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I'll be there on Saturday mid-late afternoon.

E: my flight lands at 2, wanna meet there around 3 PM? Hot Sauce can I thrown my luggage at your place so I don't have to go home?

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 8, 2014

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Let's all go Saturday. That would be fun.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'm working Saturday morning but as long as nothing stupid happens should get off by about 2:00, so getting there around 3:00 should work for me.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
Yeah, I'm expecting to get there around 3-330, so that works. I don't think I've been to the DC convention center, but I know it's pretty huge. No idea where we'd meet up.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Yeah, I'm expecting to get there around 3-330, so that works. I don't think I've been to the DC convention center, but I know it's pretty huge. No idea where we'd meet up.

Ok, so lets meet at Saturday 3:00-3:15 PM at the area between the showroom entrance and the food court; I'll be wearing a black hoodie and black Nationals hat. I've been to the show the last 3 years, and it's been the same layout every time, so hopefully that doesn't change. If you take the metro, you'll walk through one side of the convention center to the other, and then go up to the top level where there will be a ticket booth, the previously mentioned food court and entrance to the show floor. The show is all contained in one giant showroom, so no need to worry about going to the right one. See you all there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
I completely forgot the motorcycle show was this weekend. Thanks for the remainder. I'm going to try and go this weekend if I don't have to work. (Should find out Thursday or Friday) if I can make it Saturday, I'll keep I eye out for you all around the food court. Would be nicer to meet some of you on a ride, but oh well. 20 degree weather is a little to cold for me.

If I can make it, I will be wearing my Harley hoodie and hat. (I don't even own the HD anymore, it's just a nice hoodie)

• Locked thread