Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Hughlander posted:

Cursed belt of hill giant strength (sets strength to 19 but int to 6)
It would be quite funny if that actually raised your INT due to you minmaxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

How viable are swashbucklers for BGT? I kinda like the idea of a hooded halfling duelist who uses long swords (and early on, slings) but I dunno if I'm just gimping myself that way.

I was playing another melee fighter type but I found it kinda boring so I'm hoping maybe swashbuckler will give me a thief that can stay in the game? I dunno, is this a bad idea?

Any class can beat the game. Swashbucklers are not as good as a true F/T but they are still good. At high level they get a natural Thac0 of 2 and great damage. Their AC is also really great. Early game they are solid in combat.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Wolfsheim posted:

How viable are swashbucklers for BGT? I kinda like the idea of a hooded halfling duelist who uses long swords (and early on, slings) but I dunno if I'm just gimping myself that way.

I was playing another melee fighter type but I found it kinda boring so I'm hoping maybe swashbuckler will give me a thief that can stay in the game? I dunno, is this a bad idea?

Swashbuckler is a pretty boring Thief kit, but hey if that's the way you want to go, feel free. Every class can finish the game solo, hell I'm pretty sure every class can finish the game solo with SCS installed and on insane, so there's not really much to worry about. Swashes are boring though, if you want to play a straight thief kit I recommend Bounty Hunter. I'm soloing through BGEE with one right now and it's been pretty fun so far. Chunking someone with a backstab is always fun and traps add a little strategic depth to the gameplay.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Kanos posted:

I really need to get around to doing something with EEkeeper like Kensai/Swashbuckler multi.

Then again even with that level of nonsense it would still be flat worse than a normal kensage or F/M.

Problem with that is only one kit is possible due to hardcoded limits. Can get around it by creating an override file for either kit and edit in the other kit's abilities.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I can't beat Draconis in TOB. If you recall (no reason you should, but in case you do.), I made a post several days ago bitching about him, but I haven't been stuck on him all this time. I would have killed myself by now if I had. I think. I restarted TOB due to an issue I had and just got back to him. Anyway, he laughs at everything I throw at him. I have no problem with his human form. The dragon, however, I've tried using Breach, Ruby Ray, and Pierce Shield. I've tried using normal weapons and a combination of the above magic, but nothing works. Am I just that unlucky or is there something else I can try.

One time I got him to badly wounded by landing two well timed Dragon's breaths, but then he confused and one shot my PC. My PC is a swashbuckler dual classed to fighter and dual wields long swords. I'm using, Neera, Seravok, Nalia, Anonmen, and Valygar.

I never beat TOB before so I don't want to control J or whatever the kill command is, but Christ I'm tempted.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
My last play through I just used time stop, improved alacrity, breach, lower resist, and then threw fingers of death at him until the duration was over. Instakill.

I think lower resist might be what you're missing. Dragons have notoriously high resists. If you're missing the spell, the cleric spell Magic Resistance can also be useful as it sets his resist to 50%, lower than that of most dragons. In addition, some defensive cleric spells can make his breaths and melee hits far less dangerous.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Dragonrah posted:

I can't beat Draconis in TOB. If you recall (no reason you should, but in case you do.), I made a post several days ago bitching about him, but I haven't been stuck on him all this time. I would have killed myself by now if I had. I think. I restarted TOB due to an issue I had and just got back to him. Anyway, he laughs at everything I throw at him. I have no problem with his human form. The dragon, however, I've tried using Breach, Ruby Ray, and Pierce Shield. I've tried using normal weapons and a combination of the above magic, but nothing works. Am I just that unlucky or is there something else I can try.

One time I got him to badly wounded by landing two well timed Dragon's breaths, but then he confused and one shot my PC. My PC is a swashbuckler dual classed to fighter and dual wields long swords. I'm using, Neera, Seravok, Nalia, Anonmen, and Valygar.

I never beat TOB before so I don't want to control J or whatever the kill command is, but Christ I'm tempted.

I ususally just drop his resistances and unload with spells. Use Neera or Nalia to put protection from magical energy on all your dudes. Put 3x lower resistances in a spell trap and when he goes dragon hit him with those then use Anonmen to launch implosions, Nalia and Neera can put 3x skull trap in a squincer. Protection from magical energy will keep your guys safe and you'll do 45d6 per squincer. An implosion plus two of those should kill him. Be sure to keep true sight up because he likes to go invisible. As for your PC make sure you have hardiness up at all times after the shape change.

Or if you want easy mode. Time stop + shapechange's mind flayer form. The down side there is that you don't get exp from stat death.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Dragonrah posted:

Load up Neera with the Amulet of Power and Robe of Vecna.
Fill a spell trigger with Lower Magic Resistance x3. As soon as Draconis transforms, shoot it at him. Then cast Time Stop. Follow with Improved alacrity. Then cast Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting as many times as possible--should get 5-6 in before Time Stop wears out. That might kill him outright. If not,do the exact same thing again with Neera (you can't switch the Robe of Vecna over, so it won't be quite as good).

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
The suggestions sound good. I must admit I'm a terrible person who has never used Sequencer or Spell Trigger. I guess I need to fix that.

I'll do it later as I don't think I could handle the sadness of another failure right now.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Dragonrah posted:

Draconis has quite a few protections and he refreshes some with fair regularity. He also starts with 55% MR.

quote:

1) Draconis' first trigger is Minor Spell Turning, Spell Immunity Abjuration, and Protection from Magic Weapons.
2) Right on the tail of that trigger he fires a sequencer with Stoneskin, Haste, and Remove Magic.
3) Every two and a half rounds he'll be able to cast another Spell Turning.
4) Draconis also recasts Stoneskins every five rounds.

Fastest way is either Spell Trigger: Lower Resistance and then nuke with level 9/HLA spells, or trap cheese and drag him over them.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 3, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Hughlander posted:

Cursed belt of hill giant strength (sets strength to 19 but int to 6

Wouldn't that effectively grant immunity to mind flayers and possibly absurdly high int scores due to number rollover?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Dragonrah posted:

In addition to other suggestions, you might want to use Mordenkainen's Swords to distract him from party members.

PS: I had a problem in BG2EE game where Abazigal was literally unkillable for me. He has a script that triggers conversation before dying and I dealt enough melee damage during a Time Stop to cross that threshold which meant that the script never triggered and even spamming Ctrl J did nothing to him. Had to reload and kill him outside of a Time Stop.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

TINA TURNER posted:

Wouldn't that effectively grant immunity to mind flayers and possibly absurdly high int scores due to number rollover?

Naw, just means two tentacles to the brain equals death. Stats set by gear still can be modified afterwards by spells, either up or down.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 3, 2014

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Factor_VIII posted:

In addition to other suggestions, you might want to use Mordenkainen's Swords to distract him from party members.

I did forget to mention I put the celestial up, but yeah, the sword is a great idea since I'll need my level nine slots for alacrity, time stop and breath.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Just by way of protecting your party, make sure you've got Chaotic Commands (level 5 cleric spell) and Remove Fear on all of your people. That'll protect them from any disables that he can throw out.

Your other problem is that you don't really have a tank. Draconis has a THAC0 somewhere between -20 and -30 so he's going to hit you regardless of your AC. You'll either need a mage to tank by keeping Stoneskin and Mirror Image up, or you hopefully got the Hardiness HLA with one of your fighters.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

fong posted:

Your other problem is that you don't really have a tank. Draconis has a THAC0 somewhere between -20 and -30 so he's going to hit you regardless of your AC. You'll either need a mage to tank by keeping Stoneskin and Mirror Image up, or you hopefully got the Hardiness HLA with one of your fighters.

Human Abazigal is the one with -28 THAC0, Draconis has a more sane -11/-13 (human, then dragon).

gaan kak
Jul 22, 2007

RAP APOLOGIST

Corvinus posted:

Problem with that is only one kit is possible due to hardcoded limits. Can get around it by creating an override file for either kit and edit in the other kit's abilities.

There's a mod that allows you to circumvent this, but it isn't BG(2)EE compatible. Too bad... Kensai/Wild Mage/Assassin would wreck face :getin:

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Took two tries and I didn't think it was going to happen, but I did it. I had True Sight up on Nalia, but my Time Stop hit on Neera while he was invisible. I was able to spell trigger his res. down and then just casted every offensive spell I had. In the end I was down to flame arrow and I only killed him because my weapons started getting through on the melee'rs who until then were rotating in and out to keep him busy. All the while chugging pots like they was going out of style. Oh and I had Chaos Command on everyone. I think that's it. I haven't even looted him yet as I was so excited I had to tab out and tell someone.

Edit: Proud about beating a fight in an old rear end game ITT.

Dragonrah fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 3, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dragonrah posted:

Heh, I just beat BGII for the first time (never beat it years ago when I played) and now I am on to ToB, but I am pretty happy about it. had some rough spots but the smart dudes in this here thread helped me out. I had played ToB long ago it but I know I have forgotten most of it. I forgot you got your own pocket plane and that it comes with an imp that can make improved magic items. I realized that I forgot to do a few quests in the SoA campaign but I think it will be ok.

Wolfsheim posted:

I just started ToB, I am running a Dual classed level 11 Swashbuckler/level 19 Fighter and it is pretty silly. I have a -12 AC wielding Two-Handed Swords, a thaco below -10, a total of 30% Magic Resistance, ridiculous saves, 125+ HP, and the ability to sneak* and lay traps.

*Have to change my Armor to Shadow Dragon Armor and have an AC of -10 if I want to sneak.

edit: I also forgot you get the option to have Sarevok come back. My current party is my aforementioned Swashfighter, Keldorn, Anomen, Aerie, Nalia, and Imoen. I am quite happy with it but it is really tempting to find a spot for Sarevok. Keldorn's inquisitor abilities are nuts, Anomen is a really good Cleric that fights in the melee very well as well, Aerie has more spells than I know what to do with, and double trouble Nalia + Imoen as Wizards are really handy for nuking things that need to die.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 3, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mickey McKey posted:

edit: I also forgot you get the option to have Sarevok come back. My current party is my aforementioned Swashfighter, Keldorn, Anomen, Aerie, Nalia, and Imoen. I am quite happy with it but it is really tempting to find a spot for Sarevok. Keldorn's inquisitor abilities are nuts, Anomen is a really good Cleric that fights in the melee very well as well, Aerie has more spells than I know what to do with, and double trouble Nalia + Imoen as Wizards are really handy for nuking things that need to die.

If you wanted to fit Sarevok in, Nalia sticks out as the obvious third wheel in that party, since you've already got two great arcane spellcasters. I guess you could drop Imoen instead but Imoen is simply a better Nalia unless you really like Nalia.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Dragonrah posted:

Took two tries and I didn't think it was going to happen, but I did it. I had True Sight up on Nalia, but my Time Stop hit on Neera while he was invisible. I was able to spell trigger his res. down and then just casted every offensive spell I had. In the end I was down to flame arrow and I only killed him because my weapons started getting through on the melee'rs who until then were rotating in and out to keep him busy. All the while chugging pots like they was going out of style. Oh and I had Chaos Command on everyone. I think that's it. I haven't even looted him yet as I was so excited I had to tab out and tell someone.

Did you have Protection from Acid at all? That's what his breath is and it hits really hard. Good job if you beat him without it.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Corvinus posted:

Well there is this thing but I don't know how well it works.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Got BG during Steam's sale since I loved Torment back in the day, but I can't get into it at all. I feel like I'm fighting the UI instead of actually playing the game.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
You didn't give up on Torment's UI but you're having trouble with BG's? First time I've heard of that. Anything in particular you're finding troublesome?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hughlander posted:

Not quite right there, there's also: Big fisted belt, Cursed belt of hill giant strength (sets strength to 19 but int to 6) - Cloudpeaks temple (part of Rasaads quest) inside a locked chest in acolytes quarters. That is worthwhile on any pure melee. I give to Kagain usually.

I don't have the EE version, which I understand is what he was talking about originally, but even still, that just makes a character a Half-Orc.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So I'm doing the Hexxat stuff at Dragomir's Tomb and, er...

I think Real Hexxat was supposed to kill Fake Hexxat, but she was still hanging around after being eaten. Then she joined me again. Then Real Hexxat joined me a minute later, now I have both of them, with Fake Hexxat still droning about visiting the tomb. I *think* this probably wasn't supposed to happen, but I might be wrong.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

You are going to want to reload a save yeah.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

So I discovered something hilarious.

Sorcerer: Shapechange (Greater Wolfwere) + Sequencer with Tenser's Transformation, Improved Haste + misc defensive spell is utterly hilarious (globe of invulnerability is nice to dissuade a single dispel magic from leaving you defenseless) - you can also have stoneskin, blur and mirror image active first if you want. He's able to tear same-level fighters apart while soaking up insane amounts of damage.

It's not very practical but it is hilarious watching my super fragile, martially incompetent wizard turn into a super-fast killing machine that can take on armies of drow single handedly. I'd love to see it in a movie, the infinity graphics really don't do such a concept justice.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Sleep of Bronze posted:

You didn't give up on Torment's UI but you're having trouble with BG's? First time I've heard of that. Anything in particular you're finding troublesome?

I played Torment 5-10 years ago, so my expectations have probably changed. I also have a lot less time, not to mention inclination, to pour through manuals and tooltips to learn what all the spell and special ability icons are.

Is there a run toggle or are my dudes forced to walk everywhere? Also is there an auto-highlight for searchable containers? Pixel-bitching to find loot isn't as entertaining as it used to be.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

whydirt posted:

I played Torment 5-10 years ago, so my expectations have probably changed. I also have a lot less time, not to mention inclination, to pour through manuals and tooltips to learn what all the spell and special ability icons are.

Is there a run toggle or are my dudes forced to walk everywhere? Also is there an auto-highlight for searchable containers? Pixel-bitching to find loot isn't as entertaining as it used to be.

Tab for auto highlighting. No run toggle.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
There is, go into gameplay options and enable always run.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So can Dorns Abyssal Blade in BG2 be used by anyone other than him? Because as a Blackguard myself I am seriously considering taking the option that costs Dorn his powers but fully empowers the blade and ditching him for it.

Would I be able to recruit him again in ToB to do his ToB quest? I basically only care about Dorn for his items.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Dragonrah posted:

I did forget to mention I put the celestial up, but yeah, the sword is a great idea since I'll need my level nine slots for alacrity, time stop and breath.
Swords are great against non-casters, since they can't harm them. Against casters Skeleton Warriors (with their 90% magic resistance) work really well.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
So does BG2:EE have the "improved tougher" TOB content included in it? You know, like the one where you have to fight all the bosses at once in the final battle instead of just lame trash mobs

I know those mods weren't "official" but they were made by one of the game designers himself and were touted as "what I would have done if we had more development time". That is about as official an unofficial mod can be.

Selane
May 19, 2006

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

So does BG2:EE have the "improved tougher" TOB content included in it? You know, like the one where you have to fight all the bosses at once in the final battle instead of just lame trash mobs

I know those mods weren't "official" but they were made by one of the game designers himself and were touted as "what I would have done if we had more development time". That is about as official an unofficial mod can be.

I doubt it. They shouldn't be in there anyway, because some of them are extremely difficult relative to the rest of the game.

edit: You could probably replace the base version of Yaga-Shura and Balthazar with the Ascension versions. But Illasera, Gromnir and Abazigal are all way harder, not to mention the endgame stuff. Demogorgon is somewhat harder too.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Ascension hasn't been updated since 2009. No way it works with BG2 EE yet. It's apparently getting worked on by some guys at pocketplane.net according to a quick google.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

No. I've finished the game and they used the regular versions from the vanilla game rather than Ascension's.

Edit: They do have some rather tough fights in the ToB quests of the EE companions though. E.g. you go up against an epic wizard who fights like a PC wizard; Improved Alacrity, Time Stop, spam Metor and Dragon Breath, use Wish to gain back spells.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 4, 2014

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
So hey, it turns out there's a bug in BG:EE that wipes out your characters proficiencies if you cast a Luck spell on them. That sure explains why my solo bard hasn't been able to hit the broad side of the barn ever since he stole "found" Algernon's Cloak! :v:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Is there anything special that needs to be done to get Neera to turn up after her thing with the kid at the Bridge? She just kind of ran away. With the wacky glitches in the game, I don't even know if that was intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Is there anything special that needs to be done to get Neera to turn up after her thing with the kid at the Bridge? She just kind of ran away. With the wacky glitches in the game, I don't even know if that was intentional.

She's supposed to show up the first time you transition elsewhere in Athkatla in a "You have been waylaid by blah blah" type encounter

And then she marks her secret camp on your map even if you don't recognize her and IMMEDIATELY say "I'll be going". :psyduck: