Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

HClChicken posted:

I have a calphalone one skillet with a very flat bottom and low sides. It used to make eggs beautifully but I feel like either my daughter helping me with metal utensils :( or just usage has lost it's awesome coating. It's really frustrating to cook eggs now and I really am looking to replace it with another skillet that cooks some awesome over easy eggs (or scrambled). To make things better I got a gift certificate from the overpriced williams-sonoma. So my budget is 100 bucks.

Any recommndations?

I think most people are gonna tell you to buy a cast iron skillet for that. If you really want a nonstick skillet I think the concensus is to just buy the cheapest one in the size you want because the coating wears/scratches off so you're better off thinking of them being disposable. For what it's worth j scramble and fry eggs just fine on a non nonstick stainless steel skillet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Have any of you owned or used a Hamilton Beach slow cooker? What do you think of it?

I was thinking of getting this one:
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...ved=0CG4QpiswAA

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I'm in the process of buying a house after years of renting. The kitchen is coming fully furnished (and beautiful, with new cabinets, granite countertops, and other wonderful things) but the stove is glass-topped. I'm not at all thrilled about this, but it's a <1 year old stainless double oven, so I'm going to be stuck with it for a while. My main concern is that I have and use a fair amount of cast iron cookware, and I've read that using it on glasstop stoves is a bad idea. Does anybody have any comment or practical experience verifying this?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

CisSTAR 19 posted:

Have any of you owned or used a Hamilton Beach slow cooker? What do you think of it?

I have a Hamilton Beach but the next level below that one. It just has the high/low/warm/off settings. The clamp top lid is great for carrying to places. Other than that, it's a slow cooker. You can't really get a bad one that I'm aware of.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I made seafood stock for crab bisque and I have a lot leftover. Any ideas besides more delicious bisque?

There's paella, which I've never made. How important is using An Official Paella Pan?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You're fine with a skillet just make sure it's big enough

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CisSTAR 19 posted:

I've got one without any of those bells and whistles and love it. Im sure that would be pretty nice.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Make gumbo with your seafood stock. Or Vietnamese sour fish soup.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ghetto ciopinno. Your stock + jarred sauce + trader joes seafood mix.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

BerkerkLurk posted:

I made seafood stock for crab bisque and I have a lot leftover. Any ideas besides more delicious bisque?

There's paella, which I've never made. How important is using An Official Paella Pan?

Make bouillabaisse!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

LTBS posted:

I got an iSi Gourmet Whip Plus 1 Pint because the Williams Sonoma by my house is closing and everything was on sale. If I didn't have an anova I could have gotten the Poly Science that normally retails for 399$ for $250 after tax with a free cambro.

What fun things can I do with the iSi? I only have 3 N2O canisters and 10 CO2 canisters currently. I was going to do some carbonated fruit and whipped cream of course, but after that I'm kind of lost. Is CO2 better for foams? How can I make a foam like Marcel from Top Chef?

foams are not dumb. People who say foams are dumb don't realize how ubiquitous they are in the kitchen. That said, as mentioned, you can make microwave cakes (set foams). You can quick infuse liquor for cocktails. You can speed marinate meat. You can carbonate fruit. You can puff merengues or other set foams. You can whip creamy soups for texture. You can aerate custards and sauces.

NO2 is better for almost everything. CO2 creates carbonic acid which presents as a sharpness on the palate, it also carbonates everything.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

Ghetto ciopinno. Your stock + jarred sauce + trader joes seafood mix.

why ghetto? It's not much harder to make the real thing. Stock, mirepoix, fennel bulb, tinned tomato, wine, garlic. Add crab, mussels, fish, shrimp, w/e.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

rj54x posted:

I'm in the process of buying a house after years of renting. The kitchen is coming fully furnished (and beautiful, with new cabinets, granite countertops, and other wonderful things) but the stove is glass-topped. I'm not at all thrilled about this, but it's a <1 year old stainless double oven, so I'm going to be stuck with it for a while. My main concern is that I have and use a fair amount of cast iron cookware, and I've read that using it on glasstop stoves is a bad idea. Does anybody have any comment or practical experience verifying this?

From what I have researched these precautions (taken from someone else) are what I have come up with:
1. Bottom of pan or pot must be flat with no ridges as would be any pan you use over glass.
2. Run your hand over the bottom. If it feels smooth there should be no problem. If there is a little piece on the bottom that might be suspicious, you might try filing it until it is smooth.
3. Use medium to medium high heat as cast iron is so good at retaining heat. I always heat my pans well before I put oil or meat or anything else in.

Also if you are worried try finding porcelain clad cast iron like the stuff from Le Crueset

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

foams are not dumb. People who say foams are dumb don't realize how ubiquitous they are in the kitchen. That said, as mentioned, you can make microwave cakes (set foams). You can quick infuse liquor for cocktails. You can speed marinate meat. You can carbonate fruit. You can puff merengues or other set foams. You can whip creamy soups for texture. You can aerate custards and sauces.

NO2 is better for almost everything. CO2 creates carbonic acid which presents as a sharpness on the palate, it also carbonates everything.

Counterpoint: Foams are dumb.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

CisSTAR 19 posted:

My girlfriend and I just got this exact model for christmas and we're thrilled with it

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Bollock Monkey posted:

Anything, everything. Meat, vegetables, bread, in eggs. Use it anywhere you might use mayonnaise and enjoy something 500% more delicious. More ideas in the comments here.

The reason I had to ask is I don't really use mayonnaise. In fact, I'd have just gone with mayonnaise for my sweet potato fries if I'd had any in the house.

I'm gonna make wings and use it as a dip.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Counterpoint: Foams are dumb.

I take most of my meals in foam form. My jaw muscles have atrophied beyond all hope of repair.
My recipes for fruitcake, gingerbread and Christmas puddings all insist that they should be aged for like a month before you start to eat them. What's all that about? Is it the brown sugar, the one connecting ingredient in all those cakes?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

I take most of my meals in foam form. My jaw muscles have atrophied beyond all hope of repair.
My recipes for fruitcake, gingerbread and Christmas puddings all insist that they should be aged for like a month before you start to eat them. What's all that about? Is it the brown sugar, the one connecting ingredient in all those cakes?

For fruitcake atleast it's to allow everything to preserve, that's why you spritz it with alcohol.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

You should try soylent foam.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You should try soylent foam.

He might still enjoy flavor, though.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think most people are gonna tell you to buy a cast iron skillet for that. If you really want a nonstick skillet I think the concensus is to just buy the cheapest one in the size you want because the coating wears/scratches off so you're better off thinking of them being disposable. For what it's worth j scramble and fry eggs just fine on a non nonstick stainless steel skillet.

I have two cast iron skillets a big one for all purpose, and a smaller one for fatty meats and burgers. The smaller one is very seasoned but I don't want to ruin the seasoning with some eggs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cook at a lower temp. Eggs that would weld onto a pan at high will pop off medium temp pans.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If I buy xantham gum to thicken things what sort of amounts do I need? I sometimes need to add a corn starch/flour slurry to stews to thicken them up.

This would likely be for hot sauce but I'd like to know in general

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I bought that bag from Bob's Red Mill, about $15 for 8oz I think.

I added about 1 teaspoon to a quart of reduced stock to turn it into gravy

Just so you know, it thickens slightly differently than corn starch or flour, too much of those will turn liquids into a paste, but xanthan will make it jelloey or boogery if you put in too much

I'd put it into hot sauce in quarter teaspoon increments

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 4, 2014

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I got a pressure cooker for xmas! Its inaugural dinner was collard greens with leftover xmas ham and turnips. In ten minutes. Astounding. Gonna make so many speedbraises.

I know I've seen Gravity posting around with stuff caramelized superfast in a pressure cooker (and I'd love to hear your principle behind that explained because that sounds kickass) but do we have a pressure cooker thread kicking around? I feel like a lot of spoon goons got pressure cookers this holiday season and I think a resource for it would be awesome.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

If I buy xantham gum to thicken things what sort of amounts do I need? I sometimes need to add a corn starch/flour slurry to stews to thicken them up.

This would likely be for hot sauce but I'd like to know in general

0.1 to 1% by weight to thicken with xanthan gum, but if you're buying something go find some ultratex instead, it'll thicken even without heat which would be useful for hot sauces with fruit/vegetable flavours.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I don't think xanthan needs heat either, it does need a lot of assistance with dispersion though.

Nicol Bolas posted:

I got a pressure cooker for xmas! Its inaugural dinner was collard greens with leftover xmas ham and turnips. In ten minutes. Astounding. Gonna make so many speedbraises.

I know I've seen Gravity posting around with stuff caramelized superfast in a pressure cooker (and I'd love to hear your principle behind that explained because that sounds kickass) but do we have a pressure cooker thread kicking around? I feel like a lot of spoon goons got pressure cookers this holiday season and I think a resource for it would be awesome.

there have been a few pressure cooker threads floating around. mostly small ones of late:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577453
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3578968
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3582459

the pressure caramelization one is the third one. We can consolidate them into a megathread if there is interest. I could write it or someone else can either way.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've gone to using a little xanthan gum in my hot sauces. Not so much to thicken them, but to keep them from separating.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

there have been a few pressure cooker threads floating around. mostly small ones of late:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577453
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3578968
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3582459

the pressure caramelization one is the third one. We can consolidate them into a megathread if there is interest. I could write it or someone else can either way.

Ah! I know I have seen that last one but those other two are super useful as well. I think a megathread would be great, but that's a lot of work for you.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I've got a duck carcass in my freezer from thanksgiving. Is this worth saving to make a duck stock of some sort or would I be better off just dumping it and sticking with making chicken stock? I never really see duck stock used in recipes, hence the question.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

nwin posted:

I've got a duck carcass in my freezer from thanksgiving. Is this worth saving to make a duck stock of some sort or would I be better off just dumping it and sticking with making chicken stock? I never really see duck stock used in recipes, hence the question.

Make duck stock, it's delicious- you can use it anywhere you would use chicken stock.

(In other news, Squashy check your PMs please.)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

bowmore posted:

Hey guys I need some ideas for baked eggs for my cafe menu, we only do Spanish (chorizo, onion, bacon, leek, mushroom and spinach) and Ricotta right now.

shakshouka
shakshouka
shakshouka
shakshouka
shakshouka
shakshouka

shakshouka

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
I searched back a few pages and couldn't find anything, but can anyone recommend a good fondue pot? Preferably one that has it's own heat source. I've looked through a million brands and can't seem to find one that doesn't heat unevenly or become an immense bitch to clean. Most of the ones that heat unevenly are noted to work well for oils, but my husband and I prefer cheese/broth fondue. :sigh:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Do you have a hot plate/induction heater? I was given a handmedown cast iron fondue set from my sister at Christmas, and instead of using the metal cup or a can of sterno, I just put the pot right on my induction burner, and it worked great! Nice even heat, lots of fine control on the output.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Does anyone know why skirt steak is never on sale?

All of the better cuts (T-bone, ribeye, strip) often go on sale for about 50%-70% of the shelf price (which is $10-$14) at every grocer I've been to. But that skirt steak price has stood like a stone at $8.49/lb for years. I've never even seen panic sales for when it's about to expire.

I assume the other sales are partially about perception, but it seems weird that skirt is exempt.

This is Florida, US - in case that matters.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

FaradayCage posted:

Does anyone know why skirt steak is never on sale?

All of the better cuts (T-bone, ribeye, strip) often go on sale for about 50%-70% of the shelf price (which is $10-$14) at every grocer I've been to. But that skirt steak price has stood like a stone at $8.49/lb for years. I've never even seen panic sales for when it's about to expire.

I assume the other sales are partially about perception, but it seems weird that skirt is exempt.

This is Florida, US - in case that matters.

My guess is a combination of low supply and rise in popularity over the years.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

nwin posted:

You'll probably end up with a bit more fat in a stock made from a duck carcass, but it is delicious like Wroughtirony said. I think duck and mushrooms are especially nice, I've made a risotto with duck stock and oyster mushrooms that was really awesome.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm having some trouble finding Spanish style (cured) chorizo around town for a tomato soup recipe. I'm going to try and expand my search radius a little bit, but can anyone recommend any close substitutes if I find myself SOL?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Good Italian salami will do. Are you gonna chop and fry it? In that case I'd wager that pancetta and a little cayenne would be a good substitute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Whenever cooking chicken for oriental or Mexican dishes, I always velvet the meat with corn starch and a touch of vodka for that super tender texture. Would this work for beef also? I want to make steak fajitas or stir fry this week, and I would like to know if I can use the same technique for velveting or if I need to do something different.