Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Does TetherMe only work through USB for the 5S currently? It says WiFi is only enabled for up to the 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm a bit torn on whether or not to jailbreak my iPad Air.

I only want to install some emulators (ScummVM for classic adventure games, DOSBox for other older games that work well with touch), but I don't want to sacrifice stability. I think most of the stability issues are because of tweaks and not from the jailbreak itself so if I ONLY jailbreak and install these couple of stand-alone apps, I should be good, right?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Vinlaen posted:

I'm a bit torn on whether or not to jailbreak my iPad Air.

I only want to install some emulators (ScummVM for classic adventure games, DOSBox for other older games that work well with touch), but I don't want to sacrifice stability. I think most of the stability issues are because of tweaks and not from the jailbreak itself so if I ONLY jailbreak and install these couple of stand-alone apps, I should be good, right?
Yup, if you never install any tweaks you won't experience any extra stability issues.

It's also a reversible process, so if you don't like it for whatever reason, just backup your iPad in iTunes (or iCloud), and restore.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

eddiewalker posted:

Now that iFile is updated, has anyone gotten it to read USB drives with a lightning camera connection kit?

I've heard that the official lightning>USB adapter doesn't work, but third-party multicard+USB adapters do because they have some microprocessor inside for some layer of translation or something.

Unfortunately, all the multi card readers look like garbage. No model numbers to reliably identify them, and all I've found are broken photobucket links to images of other peoples' tested adapters.

So, anyone know if any of these poorly-rated things on Amazon actually works? Preferably one with wire in the middle rather than a fat, rigid block.

In case anyone else is interested, this one works: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CROC9JC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It throws an "unsupported" error but after that, I have iFile reading from a thumb drive, which was one of my must-have JB features. Unfortunately, unplugging the card or adapter without ejecting in iFile forces the iPad to completely reboot.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

Cawd Rud posted:

Yup, if you never install any tweaks you won't experience any extra stability issues.

It's also a reversible process, so if you don't like it for whatever reason, just backup your iPad in iTunes (or iCloud), and restore.

Not *entirely* true. Jailbreaking puts Cydia on your phone which can introduce its own bugs. For example the status bar bug that shows the status bar on apps like camera when it's not supposed to. That's a bug that is introduced as soon as you jailbreak. Also, just basic the basic jailbreak caused my Weather app to report the wrong location for my zip code.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
So many good tweaks coming out it's worth mentioning again that everyone interested should follow @CydiaReposUp and @CydiaReposNew

A few from the last 24 hours...

- Burst Mode (5S' burst mode for older devices)
- Push for Gmail
- SMS on GV 7
- Mail More Photos
- BytaFont 2
- DismissMyKeyboard
- TinyBar

VVV "Bigify" will accomplish this and it's free. Bigify+ is paid and has more options.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 3, 2014

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cheers for that ^ Very helpful. Any decent theme/skins? Would like to change the icons. What's the tweak that removes the labels from icons?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Anyone else having absolutely afwul battery performance after jailbreaking? It feels like I do, despite only having iFile installed.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Many here will probably be interested in Flex (currently in Beta, but quite usable now) which allows anyone to make runtime patches to their jailbroken iDevice, or activate those submitted to the Flex cloud.

You can find it as "Flex 2 Beta" from the repository http://getdelta.co

Follow discussion, requests, and submissions here

One useful example if you need convinced of its ability

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 4, 2014

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

thegreatcodfish posted:

Does TetherMe only work through USB for the 5S currently? It says WiFi is only enabled for up to the 5.

Wifi works for me on the 5S.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is there a tweak to increase the accessory power available through the dock port?

I know it used to be higher, but at some point Apple limited it to 20mA with a software update.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

SaucyLoggins posted:

Not *entirely* true. Jailbreaking puts Cydia on your phone which can introduce its own bugs. For example the status bar bug that shows the status bar on apps like camera when it's not supposed to. That's a bug that is introduced as soon as you jailbreak. Also, just basic the basic jailbreak caused my Weather app to report the wrong location for my zip code.

Jailbreaking also breaks the Reset all Settings, the remote wipe functionality (which reduces the effectiveness of Find my iPhone), and can compromise MDM if your employer uses that.

The above stuff, ongoing icon caching issues since iOS 5, and the bugginess of some popular tweaks that have gone unfixed for years (libhide sometimes showing all the system apps, for example) make me hesitant to jailbreak my iPhone 5S.

Yeah, I'd like to use the new BytaFont and WinterBoard, but I don't know if I want to crack my phone's OS with a zero-day exploit and disable some existing functionality to do it.

Verisimillipede
Jul 17, 2006

Any tweak that will block apps from randomly opening the App Store and take me to some lovely game like candy crush? It's annoying as hell and cydia is doing it all the time now to me.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Verisimillipede posted:

Any tweak that will block apps from randomly opening the App Store and take me to some lovely game like candy crush? It's annoying as hell and cydia is doing it all the time now to me.

I think this is coming from the ModMyi repo specifically, from what I can tell. There was a thread elsewhere about it, I've modified my /etc/hosts file to block adnetworks since AdBlocker can't control Cydia which runs as root, and it hasn't happened since, but I haven't browsed ModMyi itself so I can't be sure it's stopped it.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 4, 2014

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

spongeworthy posted:

- BytaFont 2

Still waiting on the Ubuntu font to update though. :arghfist:

Verisimillipede posted:

This is happening to me also, I just assumed my fat fingers kept tapping hidden ads though.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah it's an ad issue from this site. Use the Awful app.

What tweak eliminates pop ups about having no internet or about my battery being 20-10%?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Hey so uh how do you use hiddensettings7 to get rid of the folder background on springboard?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Blimpkin posted:

Hey so uh how do you use hiddensettings7 to get rid of the folder background on springboard?

Icon Adaptive Colors -> set the top two boxes off, then set Color Alpha and White Alpha to 0.0 (or whatever value you prefer)

As of now I have to go into the settings and toggle the top box on then off again for it to correct itself after a respring.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

Icon Adaptive Colors -> set the top two boxes off, then set Color Alpha and White Alpha to 0.0 (or whatever value you prefer)

As of now I have to go into the settings and toggle the top box on then off again for it to correct itself after a respring.

Badass. Thanks man, looks awesome.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

spongeworthy posted:

Many here will probably be interested in Flex (currently in Beta, but quite usable now) which allows anyone to make runtime patches to their jailbroken iDevice, or activate those submitted to the Flex cloud.

You can find it as "Flex 2 Beta" from the repository http://getdelta.co

Follow discussion, requests, and submissions here

One useful example if you need convinced of its ability

This sounds illegal

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

This sounds illegal

Which part?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The unlimited itunes radio without ads?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Agreed, that's why browser addons like adblock are illegal

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Fayez Butts posted:

The unlimited itunes radio without ads?

Ah, well maybe. I obviously don't condone piracy but I'm not up on the legalities of bypassing advertisements.

Anyhow it's just an example of how you can tweak different settings.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Has anyone else had any trouble getting HiddenSettings7 to work? I downloaded and installed it, yet no option to tweak settings appears on my control center.

Also:

mewse posted:

Agreed, that's why browser addons like adblock are illegal

Bullshit. That's an argument advertisers may be pushing, but just like the film and music industry mislead and outright lie about fair use, the illegality of internet ad blocking programs exists only as a PR campaign, not actually decided legal principle.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

ibntumart posted:

Has anyone else had any trouble getting HiddenSettings7 to work? I downloaded and installed it, yet no option to tweak settings appears on my control center.

Is your CydiaSubstrate up to date? If so, try reinstalling it again

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ibntumart posted:

Bullshit. That's an argument advertisers may be pushing, but just like the film and music industry mislead and outright lie about fair use, the illegality of internet ad blocking programs exists only as a PR campaign, not actually decided legal principle.

I think it was a joke. Like, saying how it's fine because it's pretty much just the same thing as an adblocker.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

So is CydiaSubstrate the new updated MobileSubstrate?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

BrainDance posted:

I think it was a joke. Like, saying how it's fine because it's pretty much just the same thing as an adblocker.

Oops. Never mind!

spongeworthy posted:

Is your CydiaSubstrate up to date? If so, try reinstalling it again

It should be. The version on my 4S is 0.9.5 and I haven't had any new update notices for it in Cydia. I have RocketBootstrap as well.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I think my space issue may be fixed now, in iTunes it shows the correct amount of space free. However, I now have a load of music missing from my phone. It shows up checked in the 'artists to sync' part, yet it's not on the phone. I've tried unchecking an artist, syncing, then checking it and syncing again, but it still doesn't put the missing tracks on. Anyone know what would fix this please?

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Blimpkin posted:

Badass. Thanks man, looks awesome.

Care to post a screenshot of this? I'm interested in doing this.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyone able to explain why this display glitch is occurring? It's control task I'm using & yes I've reinstalled it.

ICHIBAHN fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 4, 2014

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

shootforit posted:

Care to post a screenshot of this? I'm interested in doing this.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Thanks mate. That does look pretty cool.

In other news, CleverPin was updated for iOS 7. It disables your pass code when you are on a trusted wifi network.

Quite possibly my favorite jailbreak tweak.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
For those that want to look flash, a way to have animated wallpaper/lockscreen.

http://www.reddit.com/r/iOSthemes/comments/1udf8l/my_animated_lockscreen/

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Anyone else having absolutely afwul battery performance after jailbreaking? It feels like I do, despite only having iFile installed.
After three full days of use, two of those in the field in and out of various towers' ranges, I'd say mine seems to be losing battery life a fair bit quicker than before the JB.

5S, only have ShowCase, SwipeSelect, and Infinidock installed.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a tweak for vertical scrolling in folders yet?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Na'at posted:

Is there a tweak for vertical scrolling in folders yet?

None I know of yet; I'm waiting on FolderEnhancer to update, hoping to get at least 4x4 icons

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Is there an app yet to create transparent icons like iBlank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

So far the only issue I'm having with this jailbreak is my weather information not showing up in the notification center.

I have all the settings correct to make it show up: weather location service enabled, NC today view enabled, etc.

I've opened the weather app, so it has my current location. Plus I've toggled the various setting off and on again, along with rebooting and respringing several times.

I have the following installed:

F.lux
CeverPin
DockShift
Fake Carrier
Nitrous
Switch Spring

Any ideas?

• Locked thread