Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FordPRefectLL posted:

Why is the only alternative to the only gay character being a rapist him being "completely unobjectionable" to you? Is it that inconceivable for a gay character to be evil without raping someone?

Yeah but all the straight people are psychotic, deranged mass murderers, including the PC

Honestly the Rakyat have it way worse in that they're just really dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Its a pretty common trope that is trotted out a lot in actual political debate that gay people are sexually depraved and deranged, so I can see where he is coming from.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

At least Buck isn't black.

I'm somewhere halfway through the island, I've hit the "no go" zone south. Are there any interesting weapons incoming? I'd love some signature assault rifle.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Xand_Man posted:

Buck wasn't so much gay as he was a loving sociopath.

I should cane you for that. History time! :)

(Buck was great and I loved Vaas and would pay for DLC with the two of them doing stuff, possibly together)

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Was Buck actually made out to be gay in any other way? I thought he was just a psycho like Carl Panzram and just did it because of the whole power thing?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Praseodymi posted:

Was Buck actually made out to be gay in any other way? I thought he was just a psycho like Carl Panzram and just did it because of the whole power thing?

If I'd have to pick the character most likely to be gay it would be Hurk anyway..
I'm a couple of missions from the end, got all bases, all relics and I'm close to finishing all side missions. I'll get them for completion sake only, because for some reason you get nothing for them. I'd love some additional perks, like longer potion times as you get more idols, longer underwater for shark ones, maybe other bonuses for stealth, melee and damage resistance too.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Praseodymi posted:

I also pegged him just as a sexual sadist that only took a liking to Jason and Kieth because they were upper class American's with no real hardships to toughen them up. I can see the connection now but my brain just went to Hostel before it went to sadist homosexual caricature.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The whole depraved homosexual thing is such a lazy, decades, if not centuries, old crutch that having it be front and centre during your main interaction with a character, and even the butt of a joke, and then having the writer be all, "No, man, it's all like, satire, dudes" really is all kinds of awful writing.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I would recommend everyone who feels that way to check out Far Cry 2 if you haven't (you can get it for 5 dollars on most steam sales). There's a lot of things wrong with it that Far Cry 3 fixed, but there's also a surprising amount of other things it did right that Far Cry 3 got rid of for no reason and overall I think it's a much better game.

I think its art style and graphics in general are better too.

yeah same here. I loved FC2, beat it several times. But FC3 , I just got to the 2nd island and completely lost interest. Jesus christ the story is atrocious and sadly the environments are all the same. FC2 had better variety, better guns, less story and was jaw-droppingly gorgeous when it came out.

It basically lets you loose to murder thousands of african mercenaries and doesn't restrict you in any way. And the "buddy" system was cool, even though it played such a small role in the game. The time I was saved by my buddy and then had to mercy kill him is still in my head :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skilleddk posted:

yeah same here. I loved FC2, beat it several times. But FC3 , I just got to the 2nd island and completely lost interest. Jesus christ the story is atrocious and sadly the environments are all the same. FC2 had better variety, better guns, less story and was jaw-droppingly gorgeous when it came out.

It basically lets you loose to murder thousands of african mercenaries and doesn't restrict you in any way. And the "buddy" system was cool, even though it played such a small role in the game. The time I was saved by my buddy and then had to mercy kill him is still in my head :v:

On time in FC2 My buddy showed up and save me, and I jumped in a jeep to escape and clipped him with the side of it as I drove off. He went down. I didn't think anything of it, it's a video game, and the buddy-rescue system is just a revive mechanic. Nope, he was dead, permanently.

The buddy rescues system was amazing. It was innovative, and it felt bad-rear end and cinematic. For those who haven't played FC2, it basically worked like this: As you play through the story, you meet other mercenaries. As long as certain conditions are met, when you die while fighting, the screen fades out, and then it fades back in, one of the mercs you know is dragging you to your feet and shooting at whatever guys "killed" you, and then you can fight your way out of it together. These are unique characters, and it's a dynamic way to have a continue that doesn't just feel like a freebie because it's a video game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

FC2 also has Dylan's mod wich makes it fantastic. It lowers the chance on getting chased from a checkpoint and does a nice job with gun balancing. FC2 on steam is drm-free too :getin:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

alex314 posted:

At least Buck isn't black.

I'm somewhere halfway through the island, I've hit the "no go" zone south. Are there any interesting weapons incoming? I'd love some signature assault rifle.

When the south island opens up a bunch of new weapons become available.

That said though, it's still the south island, and when I decided to start a second new game, the south island is where I've just stopped. I don't quite know what has made me so reluctant to finish, and some of the later set pieces are a lot of fun, but I hate how you can't skip the cutscenes, Hoyt is weird and obnoxious in a way that Vaas and Buck aren't, and the climactic scene with him somehow skeeves me out in a way that none of the rest of this game's violence really does. I think next time I fire up the game I'll just load up my clear file and reset all the outposts again.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Far Cry 2 is $5.00 on the steam sale and Far Cry 3 is $7.50 (but just for today unless it goes on a flash sale again).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Far Cry 2 is $5.00 on the steam sale and Far Cry 3 is $7.50 (but just for today unless it goes on a flash sale again).

Buy Blood Dragon instead. Currently also $7.50

And honestly I just thought Buck was bi, or even straight, and it was just a sort of depraved out of civilization don't give a gently caress thing, plus the obvious power and domination and torture or whatever. Err, I shouldn't have even said anything, you know what.

I liked FC2 but I dunno, several aspects of it were bland and the gameplay was pretty flawed. For all its lovely story, FC3 is truly beautiful and very, very fun.

Course Blood Dragon stomps them all into the ground :colbert: Play more BD :krad: :frogsiren:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 20, 2013

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Despite it's many flaws, FC2 was dedicated to its theme and setting. And not in an ironic, "it's a satire sense". While it was ridiculously over the top in it's nihilism, many aspects of the gameplay worked well to serve its themes. Playing FC2 you know your character is a piece of poo poo, but you don't want to die. This drives everything that you do. Compared to FC3 where you know your character is a piece of poo poo but his main motivation is that being a badass and killing people is awesome. In FC2, there are no illusions that the missions you go on help anyone. They are generally poo poo like "blow up the food so that civilians that support the enemy starve" or "Murder doctors so that only our side has medical care" but you're doing this for both sides of the conflict, so you know you're just ruining what little civilization there there is. The environment itself is hostile, your weapons rust apart in your hands within a day. You are constantly struggling not to just be swallowed up by the constant violence and disease. Even with so many things wrong with it, this consistent and effective implementation of the setting is worth a lot in my book. So many games have this huge disconnect between the story and the gameplay, and FC2 does a pretty good job of presenting one complete coherent package.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Snak posted:

Despite it's many flaws, FC2 was dedicated to its theme and setting. And not in an ironic, "it's a satire sense". While it was ridiculously over the top in it's nihilism, many aspects of the gameplay worked well to serve its themes. Playing FC2 you know your character is a piece of poo poo, but you don't want to die. This drives everything that you do. Compared to FC3 where you know your character is a piece of poo poo but his main motivation is that being a badass and killing people is awesome. In FC2, there are no illusions that the missions you go on help anyone. They are generally poo poo like "blow up the food so that civilians that support the enemy starve" or "Murder doctors so that only our side has medical care" but you're doing this for both sides of the conflict, so you know you're just ruining what little civilization there there is. The environment itself is hostile, your weapons rust apart in your hands within a day. You are constantly struggling not to just be swallowed up by the constant violence and disease. Even with so many things wrong with it, this consistent and effective implementation of the setting is worth a lot in my book. So many games have this huge disconnect between the story and the gameplay, and FC2 does a pretty good job of presenting one complete coherent package.

Very much agreed, which is what makes those gameplay niggles so damned crushing; if it weren't for the few annoying things, like the respawning checkpoints, FC2 would probably be legit one of the best games in a long time. It's just so drat oppressive and immersive, you really feel like you're in that place, scrounging together to survive and doing terrible things to do it, while your only friend in the world is a jackass redneck who took one too many bullets in a firefight and you had to put him out of his misery.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I disagree. Farcry 2 was an exercise in tedium. Too much driving, a plot that reeked of white saviorism, bullet spongy enemies, a transparent buddy system that really didn't matter in the end anyways, weapon durabilities that made it seem that weapons were made of paper mache, and to top it all off, for some reason they wont let you play as a woman.

And while I think the story in Far Cry 3 is garbage, I think it is miles above from a gameplay perspective and encompasses some great variety.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm the first to admit that I generally want something different from shooters than most people. I grew up playing Rainbow Six. Not like, lovely Rainbow Six Vegas were guys spawn as you progress through the level and you pop out from behind cover and shoot, them, but real Rainbow Six where you win by superior tactics and extreme prejudice. Given that, most of the "improvements" in combat like the crazy takedown system in FC3 I don't consider improvements at all. I never use them unless I'm bored and trying squeeze the last bit of gameplay out of the game. FC2's biggest issue was tedium. Gameplay was incredibly repetitive.

I actually liked the driving with the map open on the dashboard, and the fact that once you knew where you were going, it was very quick to drive even across the entire map in a few minutes. The minimap was one of the things that ruined FC3 because instead of actually exploring, you just used the minimap and hud for everything.

Your comment about white saviorism is interesting, since you don't even have to play as a white guy, and the main theme of the story is that mercenaries, like the character you play, just make everything worse. I guess you are right as far as the ending is concerned, since that is the Jackel's plan and he's white.

The weapon degradation system is unrealistic. That said, I feel like the rate of degradation was good because it made it a constant concern. It wasn't like you just got a gun that was in great condition and you were good for days. You constantly had to be getting replacement gear and it felt like the physical decay of everything you touched mirror the moral decay of your actions.

As for not being able to play as a woman "for some reason"... Not all stories need to be gender neutral? Many games have no excuse for not allowing female player characters. FC2 is unironically about male machoistic steriotypes and how destructive they are. That would not work as well with a female character, not because women are incapable of being ruthless war criminal mercenaries, but because the female ruthless war criminal mercenary is not a mainstream character archetype.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

I disagree. Farcry 2 was an exercise in tedium. Too much driving, a plot that reeked of white saviorism, bullet spongy enemies, a transparent buddy system that really didn't matter in the end anyways, weapon durabilities that made it seem that weapons were made of paper mache, and to top it all off, for some reason they wont let you play as a woman.

And while I think the story in Far Cry 3 is garbage, I think it is miles above from a gameplay perspective and encompasses some great variety.

You forgot about incredibly fast respawning guard posts. As in by the time you're finishing off the last dude at a small checkpoint, the first dudes are respawning right behind you. Terrible, terrible design.

I actually LIKED the weapon durability system to some degree - the weapon failures/misfires were pretty cool and often hilarious. Of course the weapons degraded way too fast which took an otherwise interesting mechanic and made it annoying.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Snak posted:

I'm the first to admit that I generally want something different from shooters than most people. I grew up playing Rainbow Six. Not like, lovely Rainbow Six Vegas were guys spawn as you progress through the level and you pop out from behind cover and shoot, them, but real Rainbow Six where you win by superior tactics and extreme prejudice. Given that, most of the "improvements" in combat like the crazy takedown system in FC3 I don't consider improvements at all. I never use them unless I'm bored and trying squeeze the last bit of gameplay out of the game. FC2's biggest issue was tedium. Gameplay was incredibly repetitive.

I actually liked the driving with the map open on the dashboard, and the fact that once you knew where you were going, it was very quick to drive even across the entire map in a few minutes. The minimap was one of the things that ruined FC3 because instead of actually exploring, you just used the minimap and hud for everything.

Your comment about white saviorism is interesting, since you don't even have to play as a white guy, and the main theme of the story is that mercenaries, like the character you play, just make everything worse. I guess you are right as far as the ending is concerned, since that is the Jackel's plan and he's white.

The weapon degradation system is unrealistic. That said, I feel like the rate of degradation was good because it made it a constant concern. It wasn't like you just got a gun that was in great condition and you were good for days. You constantly had to be getting replacement gear and it felt like the physical decay of everything you touched mirror the moral decay of your actions.

As for not being able to play as a woman "for some reason"... Not all stories need to be gender neutral? Many games have no excuse for not allowing female player characters. FC2 is unironically about male machoistic steriotypes and how destructive they are. That would not work as well with a female character, not because women are incapable of being ruthless war criminal mercenaries, but because the female ruthless war criminal mercenary is not a mainstream character archetype.

The weapon degradation system simply meant I either went back to the safehouse after every mission or I just used the AK since it was accurate, had one of the highest durabilities in the game.

As for the last comment, I say that because there is little reason other than the developers just didn't feel like it. I don't buy your explanation because there are actual women in the game that are your buddies, so its not like they don't exist as war criminals in the game.

Warbadger posted:

You forgot about incredibly fast respawning guard posts. As in by the time you're finishing off the last dude at a small checkpoint, the first dudes are respawning right behind you. Terrible, terrible design.

I actually LIKED the weapon durability system to some degree - the weapon failures/misfires were pretty cool and often hilarious. Of course the weapons degraded way too fast which took an otherwise interesting mechanic and made it annoying.

Your comment on the weapon degradation pretty much sums up the whole of Far Cry 2 in a nutshell. Cool concepts, but overdone to the point where it was tedious. If I were to play Far Cry 2 over again, I would simply skip all the secondary objectives, since I never ended up using the rewards they gave anyways and it was much less tedious to just go for primary objectives.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 21, 2013

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Snak posted:

In fairness to the gender thing in FC2, the reason it's especially annoying not being able to play as a woman is that the mercenaries who appear in the game are all characters you can play as, EXCEPT for the three mercenaries in the game who are female. There are actual female ruthless war criminal mercenaries in the game and they are the only ruthless war criminal mercenaries you can't play as.

But running around having to check your map while you drove was totally boss.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

The weapon degradation system simply meant I either went back to the safehouse after every mission or I just used the AK since it was accurate, had one of the highest durabilities in the game.
I'm not saying it wasn't tedious. It probably did need to be balanced better. I usually just dropped my gun for the best condition gun from someone I killed until a safehouse was convenient. But on a lighter note, welcome to the real world reason lots of people use the AK47/74.

quote:

As for the last comment, I say that because there is little reason other than the developers just didn't feel like it. I don't buy your explanation because there are actual women in the game that are your buddies, so its not like they don't exist as war criminals in the game.

Again, it's not that women can't be mercenaries or that women mercenaries are unrealistic. It's specifically because the macho male mercenary is an established character archetype that is being torn down. It's about how you're not "Joe Badass", and no matter how many missions you complete, you will never become "Joe Badass" because he doesn't exist. You sure as gently caress don't get to be him by bombing hospitals and killing indiscriminately for money. Nevertheless, the character I've nicknamed "Joe Badass" is an archetype that is found throughout our media, killer with a heart of gold who's been in the poo poo and seen it all but is also A Good PersonTM. Now, FC2 isn't subtle, it's not some deconstructionist masterpiece. It still revels in everything it condemns, and it forces everything to be terrible to the point of comedy. I just don't think that I'm being sexist when I say that this tearing down of machoism would be the same with a female character.

edit: Also, I assume (but have no checked) that the only difference between first person art assets of the different playable characters is that the skin-color is palette swapped. Playable female characters would require additional art assets. This isn't an excuse not to include women as playable characters, but given my argument above for why the protagonist is male, these assets may not have been budgeted for and it's not as simple as just checking "female characters are playable" because those additions would be needed. Again, not excusing sexism, but it is a little more than "they just didn't feel like it".

Snak fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 21, 2013

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Far Cry 2's female mercs were going to be playable but had to be cut due to deadline issues. There was a even an article about it during release.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I was actually dissapointed that weapon jams and degradation weren't in FC3. I never really had a problem with most weapons from my stash falling totally apart on me, but it was great when you'd have to grab an enemy's gun in the middle of a firefight, knowing it was probably terribly maintained and would jam up on you. Some guns like the dart rifle were over the top with the condition falling apart, but I never had a pistol, rifle, or LMG break or even jam on me as long as it was one that I had bought instead of scavenged.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Snak posted:

But on a lighter note, welcome to the real world reason lots of people use the AK47/74.

The real reason a lot of people use the AK-47/AKM/74 is that:
A) The Soviets (and later Chinese and various Warsaw Pact countries) made a shitload of them and promptly exported them to half the developing world during the cold war. AFTER the Cold War they were sold pretty much indiscriminately by various state and non-state parties.

B) They're cheap and relatively easy to produce. Particularly after the collapse of the Soviet Union and various client states around the globe the subsequent large scale liquidation/theft of weapon stockpiles meant they could be had by for dirt cheap.

The combination of availability and low price for a decent modern rifle ensure that there are a shitload of them out there - particularly for buyers without a hell of a lot of money to throw around.

They require maintenance like any other gun to remain functional, can be jammed/dented/broken/rusted away in a hundred ways like any other rifle, and generally don't really live up to the myths regarding durability. The same set of circumstances are also why you tend to see a lot of FALs and G3s out in the developing world nowadays.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 21, 2013

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Besides the aforementioned issues such as the respawning guard posts and weapons degrading too quickly, I'm too OCD when it comes to collectables and hunting every last diamond case, Jackal tapes etc. I know you probably don't even need to hunt any of them down to get all the weapons and unlockables but it bugs me.

Coupled with a story where you're switching allegiances between one group of horrible people to the next and committing horrible deeds just to track down one guy and it was a rather hard game to play through for me.

I dunno, as stupid as the story of Far Cry 3 is I could at least see it as a kind of warped Peter Pan parody or something if I shut my brain off whereas it was harder to do that for 2.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I'm having trouble with the online co-op. It worked fine on Friday, but now it's claiming to find me a lobby and then spitting me into a perpetual loading screen. I had a hard enough time with the lobby menus already!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I just beat the game. As far as man shooting and exploration goes, it was pretty decent.

The writing on the other hand, holy gently caress, what an atrocious train wreck. I have never before thought that a game I was playing would be better off with a silent protagonist more than I have with Far Cry 3. By the time I was half way through I was convinced the game was a parody of modern shooters and "gamer culture". Granted, a parody in a lovely, "ironic racism" kind of way, but still a parody.

I punched "Far Cry 3 Racism" into Google and ended up at an interview on RPS where the lead writer actually defends the game, said it came out as he intended and it's suppose to be taken seriously. I'm not even sure what to say to that, I guess I'll just uninstall it and try to forget the game ever existed.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just got the game and turned most of the hud options off. but I still have a huge marker showing the objective. Is this something else than the "objective reminders" because it says I turned that off, or does it just disappear after the tutorial part of the game?

edit: boo, the game just told me to use fast travel. Also, why hide loot and plants everywhere if it all shows up on your map anyway :psyduck:

Fighting is fun though :3:

another edit:
Ah, the things I was complaining about aren't that annoying, good :sun:

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 3, 2014

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Far Cry 2 has a special place in my heart simply because one of the rewards for a mission is a blinged out gold Jeep.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gibbed posted:

Far Cry 2 has a special place in my heart simply because one of the rewards for a mission is a blinged out gold Jeep.

A jamming RPG was always hilarious too, sometimes it would just fall to the ground and fizzle in front of you. Also, firing an RPG and it skimming along the ground underneath the jeep you were firing it at :doh: Also, also: Accidentally setting the savannah on fire behind you when firing your RPG.

FC2 was great :allears:

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 3, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
FC2 was fantastic even if it was pretty rough around the edges. While Far Cry 3 was super fun and pretty polished mechanics-wise for a Far Cry game, and I enjoyed my time with it a lot, ultimately I was left disappointed that the game scaled back about all the ambitious stuff from FC2 instead of trying to improve upon it. FC2 had a lot of great new ideas (most admittedly half-baked) never seen before in the open-world/fps genre, however with FC3 they made a u-turn and took the safe route and made the game similar to what people expect from an typical open world type FPS these days.

Again, still a great game, but could have be an incredible one one if it had held onto some of FC2's DNA. I wonder what 4 will bring.

Damo fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 3, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Damo posted:

FC2 was fantastic even if it was pretty rough around the edges. While Far Cry 3 was super fun and pretty polished mechanics-wise for a Far Cry game, and I enjoyed my time with it a lot, ultimately I was left disappointed that the game scaled back about all the ambitious stuff from FC2 instead of trying to improve upon it. FC2 had a lot of great new ideas (most admittedly half-baked) never seen before in the open-world/fps genre, however with FC3 they made a u-turn and took the safe route and made the game similar to what people expect from an typical open world type FPS these days.

Again, still a great game, but could have be an incredible one one if it had held onto some of FC2's DNA. I wonder what 4 will bring.

A game with nothing but procedurally-generated jungles, swamps, and desert lands filled to the brim with wild animals, enemy encampments, and loot/ammo/gun caches. Forever and ever.

:allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xik posted:

I just beat the game. As far as man shooting and exploration goes, it was pretty decent.

The writing on the other hand, holy gently caress, what an atrocious train wreck. I have never before thought that a game I was playing would be better off with a silent protagonist more than I have with Far Cry 3. By the time I was half way through I was convinced the game was a parody of modern shooters and "gamer culture". Granted, a parody in a lovely, "ironic racism" kind of way, but still a parody.

I punched "Far Cry 3 Racism" into Google and ended up at an interview on RPS where the lead writer actually defends the game, said it came out as he intended and it's suppose to be taken seriously. I'm not even sure what to say to that, I guess I'll just uninstall it and try to forget the game ever existed.

Then you completely missed the point of that interview, because he very clearly said the whole thing WAS supposed to be subversive. The word "rakyat" just means "people", the idea is everything is generic as hell, and the plot is indeed a parody of video game plots. You come in, get some superpowers from tattoos, take over the island, and then you're god or whatever. So, actually, it WAS intended to be ironic or a farce.

I don't blame you for misunderstanding the tone though, because they totally forgot this was a really fun sandbox game where shooting is something you enjoy instead of feel bad about, so the tone is totally hosed. Also most of the :smuggo: poo poo he thought was masterclass writing was either ignored by most players or just wasn't very good. You can't have a game which is about having fun make shooting the main focus and the most fun thing and then make you feel bad about it, that's why most people play bad guys (or even sociopaths) in videogames even if they're pretty moral in real life. Unless its some kind of bioshock twist where you were selling your soul for power in a faustian bargain, but that's an entirely different tale.

The story is pretty much a modern Peter Pan knockoff or something; lost boys, pirates, never grow up and live on the island, etc.

Don't get all upset and uninstall the game just because of one vain writer though; you've beaten it! Now the stupid writing part is done. Keep a save from after you've beaten the game, and just have fun running around capturing outposts over and over and base jumping. That's the real farcry 3.

Between Assassin's Creed 4 and FC3, Ubisoft really needs to learn how to edit. Both games would be about twice as good if they'd just remove some of the bullshit. Just nix the story in both, it pretty much sucks. Just let me shoot guns and run over islands, and just let me captain a ship full of pirates. That's enough! Games can just be games! They don't have to be like, your loving message to humanity.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 3, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

blackguy32 posted:

I disagree. Farcry 2 was an exercise in tedium. Too much driving, a plot that reeked of white saviorism, bullet spongy enemies, a transparent buddy system that really didn't matter in the end anyways, weapon durabilities that made it seem that weapons were made of paper mache

I have to agree with you. I own Far cry 2 on two platforms and haven't really played either because they came up with no compelling reason to actually engage. Far Cry 3 is giving me a blast.

Warbadger posted:

You forgot about incredibly fast respawning guard posts. As in by the time you're finishing off the last dude at a small checkpoint, the first dudes are respawning right behind you.

And in some of the locations; you clear the thing and someone respawns behind you. Then there are the psychotic technicals that appear to spot you from a jungle road, and attempt to drive through walls to get at you.

Anyway, just nipped by to say how much I enjoyed watching a stray arrow start a three-way fight between pirates, a tiger and a flock of Cassowarys. A leopard also appeared at one point, but I lost track of it while I was hiding. I'm not really paying attention to my character's gender or motivations, though. Far Cry 3 is already a far better (IMO) game than 2.

edit:

Zaphod42 posted:

They don't have to be like, your loving message to humanity.

Word. There's a really weird attempt to turn games into literary artforms, when they're far from it.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Then you completely missed the point of that interview, because he very clearly said the whole thing WAS supposed to be subversive. The word "rakyat" just means "people", the idea is everything is generic as hell, and the plot is indeed a parody of video game plots. You come in, get some superpowers from tattoos, take over the island, and then you're god or whatever. So, actually, it WAS intended to be ironic or a farce.

I don't blame you for misunderstanding the tone though, because they totally forgot this was a really fun sandbox game where shooting is something you enjoy instead of feel bad about, so the tone is totally hosed. Also most of the :smuggo: poo poo he thought was masterclass writing was either ignored by most players or just wasn't very good. You can't have a game which is about having fun make shooting the main focus and the most fun thing and then make you feel bad about it, that's why most people play bad guys (or even sociopaths) in videogames even if they're pretty moral in real life. Unless its some kind of bioshock twist where you were selling your soul for power in a faustian bargain, but that's an entirely different tale.

The story is pretty much a modern Peter Pan knockoff or something; lost boys, pirates, never grow up and live on the island, etc.

Don't get all upset and uninstall the game just because of one vain writer though; you've beaten it! Now the stupid writing part is done. Keep a save from after you've beaten the game, and just have fun running around capturing outposts over and over and base jumping. That's the real farcry 3.

Between Assassin's Creed 4 and FC3, Ubisoft really needs to learn how to edit. Both games would be about twice as good if they'd just remove some of the bullshit. Just nix the story in both, it pretty much sucks. Just let me shoot guns and run over islands, and just let me captain a ship full of pirates. That's enough! Games can just be games! They don't have to be like, your loving message to humanity.

Being subversive or ironic requires more than just being a generic copy. I kind of like the idea of a Peter Pan narrative, and the idea of whether the player character can stop killing after it's no longer a necessity and is merely for pleasure. The journey from zero to Rambo through drawing power from your environment is also pretty well done, even if the character model staying the same feels like something of a letdown. I even think Hoyt sort of fits the story, where his weakness shows how out of touch with the island he is compared to the PC or Vaas (though an intentionally lame villain is still a lame villain). There was some pretty ridiculous incompetence though. One pointless, irrelevant-to-the-theme Through the Looking Glass quote is bad enough; why do we need them after every major scene?

Even if it's sort of well told, the underlying message comes off as vile and racist. Whereas works like Heart of Darkness (which is, as a point of reference, already fairly steeped in racism and colonialism) point out the hypocrisy in claiming that our "civilization" is some how less brutal and barbaric than other people's supposed lack of it, Far Cry 3 ends with a binary choice between the white paragons of civilization and the degenerate savages of the island. The main character's brother being in the army reserve just seems to exacerbate this--violence and subjugation is apparently more acceptable when it has the facade of "civilization".

The gameplay is good, but it's hampered by AAA standards. While you wrestle bears and have a Rambo IV level body count, falling 5 feet makes you die, because apparently surviving falls isn't an acceptable action trope if it means the developers can's poo poo in everyone's sandbox. The crafting was pointless and tedious. While the idea behind the tatau was cool the skills themselves sucked rear end. There was no reason for "loot" items other than cluttering your inventory. Money was useless and they could have replaced it entirely with bullet/medkit pickups. The scripted missions removed all of the fun planning aspects in favor of corridor shooting. Radio towers were just there to reveal how much the lookout sections of Assassins' Creed relied on "faffing about on famous monuments".

Fortunately they made Blood Dragon which fixed everything that sucked about Far Cry 3 and revealed the neon gem underneath.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Microcline posted:

The journey from zero to Rambo through drawing power from your environment is also pretty well done, even if the character model staying the same feels like something of a letdown.

I felt like the difficulty didn't scale at all with the game. After a couple hours you have two fantastic guns, all the ammunition you'll ever need, and a handful of useful skills. You never die again unless you try to do gimmicky things like kill animals with machetes.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

Honestly, I'm not even sure how you came to that conclusion. I think we're talking about the same interview? Creating a exaggerated, cliche ridden story doesn't automatically make it a parody in my opinion.

quote:

It’s not a judgment about you, either. It’s really something for the player to approach as smart, intelligent grown ups. It’s a riddle for the player to solve. The player goes to the game and experiences this riddle – and if you go to this game without looking at it as a riddle, it’s like looking at a building that has four supports and should have six. The game is not supposed to make sense if you’re not looking for the riddle. It’s supposed to destabilise your sense of what a traditional story is in a videogame. If you look at the story on the surface, then it doesn’t hold up. There are all sorts of shocking exaggerations that are there to intentionally destabilise the player.

Apparently the cliche's and "shocking" (hah) parts are suppose to be taken seriously and make you question "what a traditional story is in a videogame". It doesn't make me question the story in other video games though, especially when they are all better than the one I'm playing.

Then he goes on to say that the game isn't racist and that it's actually the opposite because "haha it's a puzzle and a metaphor". Except no. You can call the natives what ever the hell you like but it doesn't change anything. Rakyat, "People", whatever.

As a Kiwi it's loving ridiculous to me to say they are just some "generic people". He made a conscious choice to make them have brown skin, have Māori/Polynesian accents, use Te Reo phrases, use parts of Māori culture like the Tā moko. The Islands are called North Island and South Island like here in NZ, there is a large flightless bird like the Moa and there are gross depictions of these people having social issues that are prevalent in New Zealand like domestic violence and binge drinking.

I had all these quotes from the interview here with comment but they all describe major parts of the story so I'll leave it. But one thing in particular to point out is when he discussed the rape scene, this is an exact quote from him (bold mine):

quote:

None of this is intended to be ironic – I don’t like games, or jokes, that hold people at arm’s length – that the only emotion that people can experience is the irony or the sarcasm of it, which is something I think was going on a lot in entertainment three or four years ago, maybe even two years ago, where it was all about, “Look how funny we are – we’re making fun of this.” That’s not the point at all.

Rereading the interview it honestly doesn't even seem like he knows what the gently caress he was trying to do. And to be fair, I can't really expect anyone that isn't from NZ or Aus to pick up on all the references to NZ and our culture. So I guess what I'm saying is that you should probably just interpret the game however you like. I doubt anything I say will change the experience you had and nothing I read will change the experience I had. So agree to disagree I guess?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I noticed something weird in the co-op. If you're gasping for breath after swimming, and in a couple of other situations like jumping, the grunting/exhaling noises your character makes are those of Jason Brody and not whoever you're playing as. Is this an oversight or a glitch? Because, I mean, there are plenty of glitches here, like getting revived after a knockdown and somehow turning up underneath the ground plane, underwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I noticed something weird in the co-op. If you're gasping for breath after swimming, and in a couple of other situations like jumping, the grunting/exhaling noises your character makes are those of Jason Brody and not whoever you're playing as. Is this an oversight or a glitch? Because, I mean, there are plenty of glitches here, like getting revived after a knockdown and somehow turning up underneath the ground plane, underwater.

The whole co-op mode of the game plays like an oversight so yeah.

• Locked thread