Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZeOOsSgx2Q

Yngwie has handletar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
That is muy mal.

I have a Kramer 600st that I bought used in 1991 or so. It's my only guitar and I play in a band that plays occasionally and mostly for parties and non-serious stuff with a paid gig here and there. It is cheap, somewhat ugly as it has a peeling skull real deal hologram sticker on it. I run it through a mid-90s Digitech Valve FX into a Fender Eighty Five and it sounds fantastic for pretty much anything but the really creamy tube (?) sounds. There's a pic somewhere in TFR but searching for archived stuff is impossible as far as I can tell.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

White Dog Eggs posted:

Warning: Yet more guitar spergin'

This is true, you can't get that nice strat 'quack' with a 24 fret, but that's really only applicable if you are using a strat configuration or if you are using p-90's with distortion (they sound extra nasty, which is what you want). Humbuckers sound horrible at the antinode, moving the neck pickup down a few mm makes a lot of difference for the better. Amongst a lot of older players there seems to be '24 fret = Angry Shouty music' mentality which PRS were more than happy to capitalise on.

One of the main things to remember about electric guitars is that the technology dates back to the 1950's and there haven't really been many big attempts to improve or innovate because guitarists are a depressingly conservative lot.

We still solder pickups for some reason even though quick connect systems are perfectly viable (I mean most of the time, gently caress off GFS) because guitarists don't like loving with their instruments

That said I prefer the spacing of a 22 fret instrument (although I guess it's only because 24 fret instruments are the exception rather than the rule)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Declan MacManus posted:

That said I prefer the spacing of a 22 fret instrument (although I guess it's only because 24 fret instruments are the exception rather than the rule)

:sperg:
There is no difference in the relative placement of frets on a 22 or 24 fret instrument. They don't stretch out the scale to fit in two more frets, they move the neck pickup towards the bridge a little bit and add 2 more frets where the 22nd fret left off.

I think you're referring to scale length, which is a variable independent of the number of frets an instrument will have.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 4, 2014

ChocolateChillwave
Feb 9, 2011

Xen Tricks posted:

Lol "ancient singularity machine" *plays an instrument with the same design as 70 years ago" also it's Moog, it was a name, it's not all caps

And the point is the same, old stuff sounds good but is extremely expensive and fragile where as all the poo poo you do with custom modeling and tone difference and all that lah dee dah can be contained in modern digital systems that give an all but indiscernible sound for 1/10th the price and much more reliability

also lololol http://www.musiciansfriend.com/power-conditioners-surge-protectors I wonder what these are for your little "voltage blips"

also also also you "world of guitar amplifier emulators" wouldn't exist without my "ancient singularity machines" I don't think DSP technology just sprouted out of your rear end in a top hat

and your midi controlled hardware is courtesy of mr. Dave Smith, an engineer and synth designer

goddamn, everything you say makes synth players look like total asshats.

stfu and learn to play guitar pussy

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Does dave Navarro have to be involved in every guitar thing?

Janes addiction sucked anyways gently caress that guy

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

There is no difference in the relative placement of frets on a 22 or 24 fret instrument. They don't stretch out the scale to fit in two more frets, they move the neck pickup towards the bridge a little bit and add 2 more frets where the 22nd fret left off.

I think you're referring to scale length, which is a variable independent of the number of frets an instrument will have.

No, I know what I'm referring to. Having the 22nd fret be the last one is more comfortable to me for psychological reasons that I don't fully understand. 25.5/24.75/25, it's all the same, 22 please

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Steve Vai post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx8FanC70S4

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

We still solder pickups for some reason even though quick connect systems are perfectly viable (I mean most of the time, gently caress off GFS) because guitarists don't like loving with their instruments

Interchangeable pickups would be such a cool idea to catch on, the big guitar companies don't like it as it would eat into their guitar sales, alas.

GreatGreen posted:

Yep. PRS use a 25" inch scale as opposed to the fender 25.5" scale (which is what most guitars use), so a lot of people PRS frets to be slightly crammed. I don't want to bore everyone so click here if you want to find out more.

EDIT:

Declan MacManus posted:

No, I know what I'm referring to. Having the 22nd fret be the last one is more comfortable to me for psychological reasons that I don't fully understand. 25.5/24.75/25, it's all the same, 22 please

Seek help, weirdo. People like you are the reason we have wars.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 4, 2014

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Steve Vai post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cEdqWZi13I

Who is better at guitar steve vai or steve vai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYW177hXFE8

Also steve and steve playing guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrBLnB3ze5Y

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 4, 2014

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

GreatGreen posted:

Wait, so you're telling me a 25.5" neck that has 24 frets is physically longer than a 25.5" 22 fret? :psyduck: I always wondered how I was able to transition from a 22 fret to a 24 so easily.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

White Dog Eggs posted:

Interchangeable pickups would be such a cool idea to catch on, the big guitar companies don't like it as it would eat into their guitar sales, alas.

too cool for this dumb world

Rhopunzel posted:

Wait, so you're telling me a 25.5" neck that has 24 frets is physically longer than a 25.5" 22 fret? :psyduck: I always wondered how I was able to transition from a 22 fret to a 24 so easily.

There's usually overhang on the fretboard, yeah. Just doesn't sit well with me

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

White Dog Eggs posted:

Yep. PRS use a 25" inch scale as opposed to the fender 25.5" scale (which is what most guitars use), so a lot of people PRS frets to be slightly crammed. I don't want to bore everyone so click here if you want to find out more.

EDIT:

Seek help, weirdo. People like you are the reason we have wars.

Hey is it possible that my guitar's frets (Kramer 600st) are slightly larger than "standard" or whatever? Because I tend to over reach when I use a guitar that isn't mine.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The distance from nut to bridge doesn't change but the length of te fretboard changes. C'mon son you learn this in physics 1 in college

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Rhopunzel posted:

Yea, it's about... 6mm longer or something, can't be arsed to look it up :v:. You sometimes find that 24 fret versions of some guitars have a slightly different balance too, 24 Gbison SG's are terrible for neck diving.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

ashgromnies posted:

Does dave Navarro have to be involved in every guitar thing?

Janes addiction sucked anyways gently caress that guy

he's a very beautiful woman and that bolsters his credibility

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

White Dog Eggs posted:

Yea, it's about... 6mm longer or something, can't be arsed to look it up :v:. You sometimes find that 24 fret versions of some guitars have a slightly different balance too, 24 Gbison SG's are terrible for neck diving.

I never knew that, I assumed 25.5" was absolute. Mind is blown.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sten Freak posted:

Hey is it possible that my guitar's frets (Kramer 600st) are slightly larger than "standard" or whatever? Because I tend to over reach when I use a guitar that isn't mine.

You mean thicker? Absolutely. Rock/Metal guitars tend to have thicker frets to better facilitate string bending, pulls etc. Some of the BC Rich necks actually use thicker fret-wire than you'd find on the average bass.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sten Freak posted:

It's not only possible but likely because Kramers had frets like railroad tracks for shred

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ironically enough it's harder to play faster on a guitar with a scalloped board

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I loving hate Geiger for all this poo poo.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

This paint job is actually cool as gently caress I want this

5er
Jun 1, 2000

stupid loving guitar for a stupid loving style.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

I actually like this one :shrug:

This one can gently caress right off though, looks like H.R Gigers endoscope picture. Urgh.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ironically enough it's harder to play faster on a guitar with a scalloped board

Also tough to play chords which I guess you don't need when you are lord god shred king

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

A serious discussion about guitars in this thread. What the hell people. Hmm yes and how does the scale length affect the sustain of a 24 fret Dream Theatre wankfest?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

stratdax posted:

A serious discussion about guitars in this thread. What the hell people. Hmm yes and how does the scale length affect the sustain of a 24 fret Dream Theatre wankfest?

Wheel doesn't actually spin, 3/10.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

ashgromnies posted:

This paint job is actually cool as gently caress I want this
I'm a whore for trans-purple guitars and this is an abomination unto the Lord.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

~*my idol*~

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

By the way, Micromancer is result #1 for a GIS of "stupid guitars". Nice job SA.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

killhamster posted:

here's some more stupid looking poo poo

that's horrendous but i can only imagine it's immensely fun to play

e: also may be fake, drat

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Just wanna say this is the best thread on SA it should b nominated for best of SA 2014

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

Also tough to play chords which I guess you don't need when you are lord god shred king

Isn't it usually just the last 4 or so frets?

What is the point of scalloping though, for real.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Scallops are delicious when fried a bit of butter.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I wonder if these frets are made from scallops?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

ashgromnies posted:

eXtreme note bending!!!! Also because Richie Blackmore/Ywinge Mangosteen did it and I totally want it on mine.

stratdax posted:

Scallops are delicious when fried a bit of butter.

Raven Talon!!!! Grarrrr!!!!

stratdax posted:

I wonder if these frets are made from scallops?

Why does this guitar make me feel hungry?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ashgromnies posted:

apparently helps with vibrato and bends since you get a better traction on the string but ughhghguklsdhckas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
i would play the everhecking hell out of snakitar or horsitar

• Locked thread