Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabby Abby
Apr 26, 2006

I'm the graph in the OP

An aeropress and a hand grinder. After drinking k-cups at work for five years, I'm finally stepping up and making real coffee. I can't wait to get some freshly roasted beans and try it out. I have a feeling I'm going to be drinking a lot of coffee this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Crabby Abby posted:

An aeropress and a hand grinder. After drinking k-cups at work for five years, I'm finally stepping up and making real coffee. I can't wait to get some freshly roasted beans and try it out. I have a feeling I'm going to be drinking a lot of coffee this weekend.

Also take a look at a little French press. Those things are amazing too.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Trastion posted:

Make sure you come back on January 2nd to tell us what you bought off Ebay. :)

As of 2nd Jan, I have bought nothing further off ebay. But I did buy a 500GB SSD off Amazon (only cost me £107 as I had vouchers / cash for Xmas).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Crabby Abby posted:

I also recommend this metal filter so you can have variety.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Coffee-Filter-AeroPress/dp/B004G7TLYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388745934&sr=8-1&keywords=able+disk

Some beans taste better with the coffee oils. This makes it taste closer to a French press.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Whiteycar posted:

It is, ours takes a slight bit to move and doesn't glide around or anything. Just lateral movement the wheels don't pivot.

The wheels look like they would murder hardwood floors. Are they really just metal wheels with only thin strips touching the floor?

It's ridiculously pretty though.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

These things are amazing, I'm a fan of pressing the coffee then filling the rest of the mug with hot milk. Turns even the worst most funky coffee into something decent. Of course, if you use good coffee that's a different story. Best coffee related ~$20 I've ever spent.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

These things are amazing, I'm a fan of pressing the coffee then filling the rest of the mug with hot milk. Turns even the worst most funky coffee into something decent. Of course, if you use good coffee that's a different story. Best coffee related ~$20 I've ever spent.

Aeropress saved my butt living in Korea, land of the instant coffee. I recommend using the reverse method for a really great brew.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Aeropress saved my butt living in Korea, land of the instant coffee. I recommend using the reverse method for a really great brew.

Same thing for me when I was in Senegal - no more Nescafé for me! Aeropress was super easy and also made for good iced coffee which was nice in the hot summers.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
New pair of shoes.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Crabby Abby posted:

That's the exact setup I got when I started getting "serious" about coffee--it won't steer you wrong. Now I've got like four different coffee creation methods and a nice electric burr grinder and oh my god so much money spent on coffee accessories.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Mu Zeta posted:

The UI of that TV looks horrendous.

It really is, luckily I only plan to use it as a "TV". Hoping that UI upgrade posted later on actually makes it to these models though.

Always wanted one

Back to team Green. I like my brief encounter with Red, but it just doesn't compare.
Shadowplay yo

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.
Got rid of all the change I've been collecting for the past year and got an Amazon gift certificate with it. So far, I've gotten these books:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

They may look exactly the same, but they're not. First is 1/4" drive, second is 3/8". I like the idea of having nice tools that I'll have for a long time.

Oh, and a T-Shirt:

Krakkles has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Jan 3, 2014

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Krakkles posted:

Oh, and a T-Shirt:

I'm definitely gonna need a link to this if you bought it online.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Night Danger Moose posted:

I'm definitely gonna need a link to this if you bought it online.
http://www.blipshift.com/

Worth bookmarking, I've spent way too much money there.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Crabby Abby posted:

Did anyone else immediately think "my first new bong and grinder" with a cursory glance or have I just been hanging out on TCC too much?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Did anyone else immediately think "my first new bong and grinder" with a cursory glance or have I just been hanging out on TCC too much?

If you think that looks like a bong, you should check out vacuum pots.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

This is a fantastic book. It's really neat living around these places and seeing them now as compared to then.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Krakkles posted:

http://www.blipshift.com/

Worth bookmarking, I've spent way too much money there.
Well poo poo. I did enjoy having a couple bucks in my bank. This site is amazing.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

A cheap Epiphone Banjo:

A book so I can learn me some Latin:

And some new vinyl:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Krakkles posted:

They may look exactly the same, but they're not. First is 1/4" drive, second is 3/8". I like the idea of having nice tools that I'll have for a long time.

Excellent choice. Snap-on is the best, by far. Use their stuff all the time for work, and with all the abuse it goes thru, it holds up real well.

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Corsair Carbide Air 540 Case

I'm very interested in your opinions on the case and maybe a final image.

I'm thinking of a secondary build in this.

Content
Bought some acrylic (and required tools) to make a better window for my Vengeance C70. The stock one is stupid.

BiRD BoY has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Jan 4, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BiRD BoY posted:

[Click, since I have no idea how to make Imgur images smaller](http://i.imgur.com/PQIQiqz)

Use [timg] instead of [img]. The "t" stands for thumbnail. :buddy:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

BiRD BoY posted:

I'll second this because I saw it and instantly wanted to move out of my Corsair 600T and into this, but it has two HDD trays. Can it really only hold two drives?

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

IUG posted:

Use [timg] instead of [img]. The "t" stands for thumbnail. :buddy:
Awesome. Photobucket dun spoiled me all these years.

Slim Killington posted:

I'll second this because I saw it and instantly wanted to move out of my Corsair 600T and into this, but it has two HDD trays. Can it really only hold two drives?

Holds 2x 3.5" drives in the windowed side and up to 4x 2.5" in the rear.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I haven't got mine in yet, but nah, it can hold more than 2 drives. If I understand correctly, it's got 2 hot swap bays underneath the motherboard tray and then a whole drive cage on the right side that's separated from the motherboard so you can't see it when looking through the case window but you're still able to easily route cables to the motherboard through the rubberized openings in the case. It's one of the only cases (or maybe the only one) I've seen that partitions the space into two halves, one for motherboard / hot swap / primary ventilation and the other for power supply / drive cage / optical drives / secondary ventilation. I think it's done that way for both aesthetic reasons and ventilation efficiency. That was a big selling point for me, though, because it looks great while also keeping everything organized and cool. I owned a 600T in the past and loved its aesthetic and fan control dial, so I know Corsair is good for that kind of thing.

I'll probably post pictures of my completed build in the Parts Picking thread in SH/SC because they like that kind of stuff and they recommend Corsair's other Carbide cases but I don't think they've had enough opinions on this one to recommend it, so hopefully the case will be awesome and I can convince them to :)

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

BiRD BoY posted:

Awesome. Photobucket dun spoiled me all these years.

Holds 2x 3.5" drives in the windowed side and up to 4x 2.5" in the rear.

Alternately, add 'h' 'l' 'm' or 's' to the end of the filename (e.g. "XAb28.jpg" becomes "XAb28l.jpg" to resize to 'huge' 'large' 'medium' or 'small' respectively. Large usually works well for forums.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

60" 1080p 120hz. What with the NFL playoffs (Pats) and my birthday in a week, I figured why the gently caress not. I am in heaven.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Mavic Helium wind/rain jacket

Two of these

Spending money = riding faster.....right???????

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

I Am Not Spor posted:

Mavic Helium wind/rain jacket

Two of these

Spending money = riding faster.....right???????

The only thing that works better is doping :v:

Got a nice long sleeve Cannondale jersey for $30, it's really short in front but otherwise great and super warm with a thin base layer underneath.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

That Mavic jacket is poo poo-hot and I want it despite having a perfectly adequate Gore jacket.

NO! Bad wallet! Down, boy!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Needed a new backpack for school, this one from H&M seemed pretty decent, and only $35.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I got this and a bag of sencha green tea from the chinese store at the mall instead of going to teavana and saved about $250.00

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

colas posted:

I got this and a bag of sencha green tea from the chinese store at the mall instead of going to teavana and saved about $250.00

It's beautiful too.

Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone

Supposedly the best "under 30$ in ear headphones". For 10$ I'll try them since I just destroyed my cheap pair that sounded like poo poo. Kind of scared to try in ear headphones though

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I heard the ones monoprice sells are really good. They're $6. They have bluetooth earbuds for only $30. madness.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The $6.00 panasonics sold on amazon are pure gold. I used to buy the $50+ sony jbls and only would have them last 6 months of general easy use. The stupid little $6.00 buds have lasted me 3 years through working out and commuting on the bus. I love them so much I bought 3 more pairs just in case. Still haven't had to open the 3 other boxes.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Mee Electronics make great buds. These came with 6 different plugs, the longest ones are awesome. They stay put when I'm running. $19. I had a different set but I raged when I lost the plugs and threw them out instead of getting replacements.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

colas posted:

Mee Electronics make great buds. These came with 6 different plugs, the longest ones are awesome. They stay put when I'm running. $19. I had a different set but I raged when I lost the plugs and threw them out instead of getting replacements.

And if you buy them in terrible colors you can get them for $11!!

colas
Feb 14, 2007

lol you're right, terrible color discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

BiRD BoY posted:

I'm thinking of a secondary build in this.

Content
Bought some acrylic (and required tools) to make a better window for my Vengeance C70. The stock one is stupid.

I am not the poster you replied to, but I love my 540. I wrote a review when I first received it:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R10OLKAH7DZ70X/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm posted:

I freaking love my Air 540. The amazing cooling and looks are an incredible combination. This is currently the quietest and coolest running case I've ever owned (Noctua fans and the stock fans @ 7V). The side window is extremely high quality and impresses everyone that sees it.

PROs:
- Well laid out case that minimizes wiring clutter.
- High quality materials used in construction.
- Quality, quiet, fans included.
- Easily accommodates water cooling.
- High clarity window.
- White LEDs for front power switch.

CONS:
- Hard drive bays seem like an afterthought with holes in bottom of case.
- Power/LED wires are too short.
- SSD enclosures feel cheap (and one has already broken on mine).

And what it looks like currently:

PC Build History album and more information

Highly recommended. :)

• Locked thread