Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

WarpedNaba posted:

Don't suppose you'll have any use for a VA in the near future, hmm?

Well, maybe in the future. There's no guarantee the game will actually happen. But if it does get to the point where I need a VA, I'll keep you posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Flash animators: help me out.

I have a few Graphic Symbols that use complicated masks. When playing the .FLA file, or scrubbing the playhead, it appears as if the mask is working. But, once exported to a .SWF, the masking gets all hosed up.

I've tried a few different things:

1. Consolidating all the graphic symbols that make up the mask into a nested symbol (so it's all on one layer, even nested, for example, to get to the mask symbol's layers to adjust them individually, you have to open the full symbol, then the masking layer, then the [only] layer that contains the masking elements, roughly 15 layers.)

2. If there's any alpha changes to layers that act as masks, I make sure to remove them (on some masks, this hasn't definitively worked, so I consider it to not be the problem.

One example is a collection of fire works. The explosions are all just white squares that are tweened to look like white fireworks, then I turn that into a mask, and place a colorful layer that changes colors frequently below it and apply the mask. In Flash, it looks great (see attached image), but, when I go to play it, sometimes only a few of the masking explosions are shown. Other times, after a few adjustments (that I quickly undo after failing) the masked layer shows without any masking.

First person to tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong gets my eternal gratitude. The second through last person to tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong get my one-week free-trial of gratitude.

EDIT: I'm using Adobe Flash CC, and it's up-to-date as of this morning.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Morning stretch exercise. It's not a strech per say, but its morning, I'm kinda tired, and you know - I haven't done this in a few days - so its a warm up thing.

I wanted to try to do something with robes - so its a cat wizard. I was pretty lazy, and only redrew the arms so it loos pretty stiff.

Dodgeball posted:

I'm not really acquainted with flash, but maybe if you post a gif or something of whats wrong it might help.
Half-assed cat wizard wishes you luck on your quest.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I am starting out self-teaching myself animation and here is my first attempt, a simple eye animation:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I am starting out self-teaching myself animation and here is my first attempt, a simple eye animation:

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but to me this isn't really recognizable as an eye blinking. Right now you have a perfectly even transition -- the eyelid moves exactly the same amount of distance in each frame, making a transition that has a completely uniform rate of speed. It's also really slow. If you want to learn how to animate, it would be a good idea to start with a bouncing ball exercise, to understand how spacing the drawings from each other creates the illusion of changes in momentum.

It took me about 8 years of loving around before I actually sat down and DID the bouncing ball exercise, instead of just looking at the picture in a book and thinking, "Oh, I get that, I don't need to do that, it's so simple!"

DO IT DO IT DO IT!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

neonnoodle posted:

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but to me this isn't really recognizable as an eye blinking. Right now you have a perfectly even transition -- the eyelid moves exactly the same amount of distance in each frame, making a transition that has a completely uniform rate of speed. It's also really slow. If you want to learn how to animate, it would be a good idea to start with a bouncing ball exercise, to understand how spacing the drawings from each other creates the illusion of changes in momentum.

It took me about 8 years of loving around before I actually sat down and DID the bouncing ball exercise, instead of just looking at the picture in a book and thinking, "Oh, I get that, I don't need to do that, it's so simple!"

DO IT DO IT DO IT!

Oh, I don't think of it as being a jerk at all, constructive criticism is more than welcome, and really that was more of a test to see if I could get the transitioning and fluidity right and everything.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Dodgeball posted:

I have a few Graphic Symbols that use complicated masks. When playing the .FLA file, or scrubbing the playhead, it appears as if the mask is working. But, once exported to a .SWF, the masking gets all hosed up.

I've tried a few different things:

1. Consolidating all the graphic symbols that make up the mask into a nested symbol (so it's all on one layer, even nested, for example, to get to the mask symbol's layers to adjust them individually, you have to open the full symbol, then the masking layer, then the [only] layer that contains the masking elements, roughly 15 layers.)

2. If there's any alpha changes to layers that act as masks, I make sure to remove them (on some masks, this hasn't definitively worked, so I consider it to not be the problem.

One example is a collection of fire works. The explosions are all just white squares that are tweened to look like white fireworks, then I turn that into a mask, and place a colorful layer that changes colors frequently below it and apply the mask. In Flash, it looks great (see attached image), but, when I go to play it, sometimes only a few of the masking explosions are shown. Other times, after a few adjustments (that I quickly undo after failing) the masked layer shows without any masking.

First person to tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong gets my eternal gratitude. The second through last person to tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong get my one-week free-trial of gratitude.

EDIT: I'm using Adobe Flash CC, and it's up-to-date as of this morning.

That sounds like some low level vector rounding error loving up poo poo, which there isn't much you can do about besides keep loving with poo poo until it works. More examples or the FLA/SWF file or something would be helpful.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Seals love balls.

The ball exercise is probably your best bet for getting the squash and stretch polished up.
Don't know if you were going for a realistic blink or not, but people tend to blink rather abruptly - a blink never usually lasts more than a second or so. Maybe somewhere around there.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

scarycave posted:

Seals love balls.

The ball exercise is probably your best bet for getting the squash and stretch polished up.
Don't know if you were going for a realistic blink or not, but people tend to blink rather abruptly - a blink never usually lasts more than a second or so. Maybe somewhere around there.

Nah it was just an attempt at animating something to see if it would be something I could get into, I am going to start practicing on the bouncing ball exercise here soon.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

scarycave posted:

Seals love balls.

Bouncing ball is good for squash and stretch if you put that into it, but that's not really what it's for. It's for communicating the basic concept of acceleration through the spacing of drawings. You can do it with a totally rigid ball and still get the illusion of weight, speed, etc. In fact, I'd recommend that the first time you do the exercise, don't do any squash and stretch whatsoever:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
This is probably super finicky thing to complain about, but do we really have to call everything in animation an, 'illusion'? In your second example, the ball has momentum, it's moving between frames more or less over time, that is the definition of momentum, if that's an illusion, then so is a film of a real ball doing the same thing.

Again, super nit-picky, but it just nags at me a bit.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah I agree with you, just bad choice of words on my part. I think I meant the "illusion" of gravity/weight, which obviously don't exist in images. But yes, definitely the momentum part is real!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

neonnoodle posted:

Yeah I agree with you, just bad choice of words on my part. I think I meant the "illusion" of gravity/weight, which obviously don't exist in images. But yes, definitely the momentum part is real!

Well maybe this week I will start attempting this and post the results.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
New years resolution unless it doesn't work out is to get this thread moving.

Its a goat.

I think the head is moving around a bit too much for my tastes.

Plain Cheese Pizza
Aug 26, 2006

Sssh! They might have daggers...
Just a run cycle.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Lobster Fancy posted:

Just a run cycle.

Awesome.

Done a loop. http://vimeo.com/83547215

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

That falcon mountain guy is such an rear end in a top hat. He needs to make his own sandwich.

Suncut
Dec 23, 2008

Is the Baroness of Luge attending the ball? Poor thing! Her wigs are all so decidedly frumpy.
Lobster Fancy: I love that run loop!

Boss animation for our game project http://www.freeholdgames.com/index.php/sproggiwood/
Character design inspired by Iku-Turso, though the result is a tad unconventional.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
It looks like a bearded ham with legs. :3:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

HelloWinter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VArqkYNWAbI

Hello again! Just wanted to say that I've only discovered VFX animation just recently and I love it to death. This was for a school assignment, but from now on we're only going to concentrate character animation so there's no more opportunities to make VFX animation... That's sad.

One question though, are there animation job opportunities still available for VFX drawn traditionally or on the computer? Or is it all 3D CG now?

Not bad! [Speaking as a VFX animator at a big studio] Not much opportunities these days for drawn effects work, the timing and aesthetic knowledge is good to know, and I know guys at work and the other big studios like to see it on reels along with the digital stuff [I throw in some of my old 2D work on my reel when I apply to feature animation job].

Problem is most drawn animation these days is television work, most of it is outsourced. You may have an option with disney tv animation or a place like titmouse if you have more exercises like that.

It's likely easier to get a job as an effects artist vs an animator. The "rock star" positions that everyone wants in school seems to be modelling and animation, while rigging, effects, lighting, and general TD work get ignored.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Here's a snowman from last months CC thread:

and here's some versions where I tried to make it fall faster:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Blocked in animation for a weight lift. Any suggestions on poses and timing would be appreciating, since I might transition this to CG.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Ccs posted:

Blocked in animation for a weight lift. Any suggestions on poses and timing would be appreciating, since I might transition this to CG.

Welp, lets see. I think when he lifts up the dunbell, he moves a bit forward from the weight right? I think it might work if you had him sort of try to adjust himself instead of immediately fumbling over. Since he seems to be struggling with keeping it up, you probably should avoid him standing completely straight. Once he lifts it up over his head, it looks like hes walking forward instead of stumbling over.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Ccs posted:

As both animator and oly lifter I have suggestions! Warning: some of these suggestions will be more :spergin: than others.
Did you use much video reference for this piece? If not, please do. When performing the snatch, particularly with the humongous weight you have implied there, the lifter stays in the ready position (with hands on the bar, knees bent) usually for a number of seconds. That extra anticipation will help sell the hugeness of the weight. Also, the rise up to finished position from the full overhead squat is usually pretty slow, even for (in fact, especially for) the pro lifters.

With that amount of weight, there will be some wobbling of the bar.

I agree with scarycave's point about the lifter trying to compensate/adjust under the weight as it goes forward.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Thanks for the feedback! I've been using this as video ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE3oAm3Vy1U

I actually was implying that he was taking a step forward (like in the video) but then losing his balance but I like that idea of "fumbling" instead of a deliberate step forward. Thanks for the timing input, I'll increase the antic time and the time from on knees to the up position. I think I'll start putting this into CG so I'll post that up for more feedback once it's done. I'm sure they'll be more to correct from there lol.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alright, so here's a CG version. Copied a lot of poses from the planning stage but changed the timing and now there's magic computer inbetweens. But stuff still seems wrong to me, I just can't pinpoint what.
http://youtu.be/JmRPvr5JAOs

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
OK, please bear with me on this because it's kind of sketchy:

(The ending is simplified obviously.)

This pose is the one I was talking about earlier --

This is a really important pose to hold on because the taut-straight arms show the resistance of the weight. People lifting heavy will sometimes shake in this position, and don't rise up from here without a bit of delay.

Then there is this part, which I have here one pose at a time so you can see it:

In the top of the "catch" part of the snatch, the lifter's chest comes way out, his/her head goes backwards, and the inertia of the weight carries the heels off the ground so that the lifter is now in a tiptoe position. The spacing between these drawings is close, because there's a bit of "hang time" before the abrupt last pose, the bottom catch/squat.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Awesome, man. You went above and beyond on helping me with this! I'll post the revised version once I finish it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Here's a giraffe.

I got lazy when I was ending the gif, I'm probably going to change it later.

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

What is a good software application to try out for animation? Years ago I did some animating in Flash, but I remember the output files were pretty large (also, I believe, Flash is on the way out, isn't it?).

So, Animate Studio, GoAnimate? Something else? I didn't see any recommendations on the first page.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
TVpaint, although it isn't free. There's also Pencil, which is, but I dunno how good it is.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alright, worked a bit more on that weight lift. I'm sure there's still stuff wrong, but I'm having trouble pinpointing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJmWA4EYRCI&feature=youtu.be

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
TVPAINT
TVPAINT
TVPAINT
TVPAINT

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

Just for trying it out, that seems like a steep price (Edit: is there a legal method of getting it cheaper?). Even the unlimited trial doesn't allow you to save a Project. I'd prefer a 30 day working trial to a trial where I can't save...

I'm guessing this place is a scam: REDACTED

Pencil looks kind of bad...

I'm guessing Anime Studio is not good.

Any other affordable but good quality selections for someone just starting (but with high aspirations)?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 10, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

mister_gosh posted:

Just for trying it out, that seems like a steep price (Edit: is there a legal method of getting it cheaper?). Even the unlimited trial doesn't allow you to save a Project. I'd prefer a 30 day working trial to a trial where I can't save...

I'm guessing this place is a scam: REDACTED

Pencil looks kind of bad...

I'm guessing Anime Studio is not good.

Any other affordable but good quality selections for someone just starting (but with high aspirations)?

Well...if you want free, you could try doing what I was doing and drawing stuff on paper and then animating it with some program like gimp. (I use Photoshop, but gimp has gif capabilities as well). Or really, just use gimp to create an animation frame by frame. I'm guessing it won't come out as advanced as Tvpaint and other programs, but if your just looking for practice it might help you out.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 10, 2014

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
It is possible to animate in Photoshop, although it's practically impossible to do much more than a short clip. If you're on Windows, go get Plastic Animation Paper, which is now freeware. On a Mac, I believe there's now a desktop version of Animation Desk, which seems OK despite being obnoxiously skeuomorphic.

*EDIT: OK you know what? Actually animating in PS CS6 is completely do-able. I'm going to make a tutorial for it I think.

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 10, 2014

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

Now that I've invested about $1000 in (150) fancy markers in the last two years, I'm suddenly wanting to try out digital art and animation, d'oh! I'm just interested from a hobby standpoint, nothing serious. My drawings are pretty amateur at this point as well (http://www.flickr.com/photos/116504933@N05/).

I don't have Photoshop either (and I refuse to pirate), so I'm going to go with Plastic Animation Paper for now. This appears to do what I want based on a quick play with it. Thanks for the suggestions. I hope to make my way up to buying TVPaint someday.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

neonnoodle posted:

*EDIT: OK you know what? Actually animating in PS CS6 is completely do-able. I'm going to make a tutorial for it I think.

I'm still using PS CS5 because I'm pretty broke too and I don't think my dusty laptop could handle it. I have tried out PS CS6 in school and it seems to work pretty much the same, except now you can add sound - and I think there's some new timing things. Still, I think if your competent you can actually make something of a short movie in PS CS5, though you would definitely need another program to put them all together to add sounds and stuff. I guess After-effects would be the easiest, though I don't really have access to it at home to confirm this.

I'd like to hear about any animation improvements that 6 has made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009
After Effects is a pretty bad environment to be editing in. You want an actual editor. I'd actually totally recommend the editor that's built into Blender. http://www.blender.org/
Final Cut and Premier Pro are fine, but they're very film and camera orientated, expensive and you'd only be using a fraction of their features.

In fact if you wanted to go the totally free, open source, route, you could do worse than drawing frames in something like Krita http://krita.org/, and comping/editing in Blender.

It means you won't be able to immediately preview your animation as you draw, but that's not necessarily a terrible thing, especially if you're looking to improve you animation skills.