Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Sorry. Hoopa gets a move called THE HYPERSPACE HOLE. Never miss and hits through Protect? Yes please

If it works like Feint and Phantom Force then it might also remove the protect-like effects for the rest of the turn for all your Doubles battlers out there.

edit:

Nihilarian posted:

It's called Capabara.

I don't think they're saying it's not a Capybara, I think they mean that as a Capybara pokemon it should be fatter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

BattleCake posted:

I don't think they're saying it's not a Capybara, I think they mean that as a Capybara pokemon it should be fatter.

Yeah missing it was a goofup on my part considering how blatant the name is but don't really see that much of a resemblance considering the source material is a 150 pound guinea pig with enough fat to float in water. Capabara looks like a beaver with a toque and a Canadian colour scheme to be perfectly honest.

Edit: I'm digging a lot of the other designs though. Boarealis is such a great design and pun combo that I'm sad it will never be real :allears:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 4, 2014

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Desperate Character posted:

The guy who hacked in the three new legendary pokemon has pictures of their stats and movesets up. Volcanion definitely got the best move out of the three (a 110 damage Scald with 95% accuracy :stare:)

http://imgur.com/a/jzSER

Diancie? You mean the evolution of Carbink?.

Volcanion looks super cool, if I ever get into Ubers battling I know he'll have a place on my team.

e: also wish the guy posted the abilities of the pokemon.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 4, 2014

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Zeruel posted:

I really hope it actually is that and isn't just related in some way or another. Partially because that would be a unique way to do an event pokemon, and partially because that means it might actually be usable in play against normal people.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zeruel posted:

Probably not. Diancie is a legendary right? I'd rather it be Carbink's evolution, though.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I seem to have gotten myself bogged down in a wonder trade addiction. I have managed to get quite a few interesting things, though I just keep chain trading as I attempt to get a Phantump/Trevanent. I know I should probably just give up on getting it randomly, but I just keep trading and trading and amassing a bunch of random rear end starters. Froakies seem to be quite popular to throw into wonder trade it seems.

I like the wonder trade system. It is pretty fun.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
So many fan-Pokemon look like Digimon, especially the ones from Smogon. This is a travesty.

E:

jadebullet posted:

So I seem to have gotten myself bogged down in a wonder trade addiction. I have managed to get quite a few interesting things, though I just keep chain trading as I attempt to get a Phantump/Trevanent. I know I should probably just give up on getting it randomly, but I just keep trading and trading and amassing a bunch of random rear end starters. Froakies seem to be quite popular to throw into wonder trade it seems.

I like the wonder trade system. It is pretty fun.

I've been wonder trading away boxes of 3/4IV Inkays and I've gotten some neato stuff.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 4, 2014

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Avalynx, Nobunata, Trenchula, Vultergyst, Magroplex, Comossus, and Ragnarow have excellent designs.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I still want a water/fire pokemon that is steam based. When will gamefreak make this a reality.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nihilarian posted:

Probably not. Diancie is a legendary right? I'd rather it be Carbink's evolution, though.

It's Base Stats are the Same as Carbink's except The Non-Speed, Non-HP stats were all raised by 25 points each. Same type and similar design and linked stats. They're related somehow.

Unbound posted:

Avalynx, Nobunata, Trenchula, Vultergyst, Magroplex, Comossus, and Ragnarow have excellent designs.

If you don't love the Nobunata you have no soul.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
So what city do you get the Hatching/Bargain O powers in? I haven't found either of them, and the hatching one would be drat handy right now.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's Base Stats are the Same as Carbink's except The Non-Speed, Non-HP stats were all raised by 25 points each. Same type and similar design and linked stats. They're related somehow.
It's exactly 100 points more? Almost sounds like Mega Carbink.

... :stare:

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

If you don't love the Nobunata you have no soul.

Somehow, I missed that pokemon. Still, no excuse. Please tell me it learns Explosion.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Blhue posted:

So what city do you get the Hatching/Bargain O powers in? I haven't found either of them, and the hatching one would be drat handy right now.

Hatching requires all the other O-powers and max style in Lumiose City.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nihilarian posted:

It's exactly 100 points more? Almost sounds like Mega Carbink.

... :stare:

Yeah there's no way it's not tied to Carbink. It'd be cool if the event was a key item it like, evolve Carbink but it's probably going to be a Manaphy Phione Situation again. WAIT what if that Strange Stone that looks like a Mega Stone but has no use turns out to be that?

Unbound posted:

Somehow, I missed that pokemon. Still, no excuse. Please tell me it learns Explosion.

Whenever this mod comes out I'd love for it to learn Shell Smash. Lose some candy, become the best.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I just got to glitter cave and holy poo poo. I thought that dealing with the city's crappy camera angle was horrible. Why would they give me an over the shoulder angle for a cave?

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
I cannot believe no one had any love for Krilowatt.

Also a lot of those fakemon look fairly interesting design wise (from the 200 pokemon fakes), even if the art is a little lacking on a few. My only complaint is that they got really dragon crazy at the end there (especially since there are no fairies I guess).

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

jadebullet posted:

I just got to glitter cave and holy poo poo. I thought that dealing with the city's crappy camera angle was horrible. Why would they give me an over the shoulder angle for a cave?

It's basically a straight line. There's some dead end off shoots but as long as you remember which direction you turned to enter them then just do the same when coming back to the main path and you'll continue forward. It's also really short, wild pokemon only appear in those off shoots and I thought it was a pretty cool change of pace v:shobon:v

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ah, the entire cave isn't like that, only a small part. I take it back, it is better. I just thought they took the fun to explore caves and replaced them entirely with a gridlike maze. Thinking back on it, I now remember that there was a different cave that I spent about a second traveling through so I probably should have realized that caves weren't all like that, but whatever.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Waverhouse posted:

I cannot believe no one had any love for Krilowatt.

Also a lot of those fakemon look fairly interesting design wise (from the 200 pokemon fakes), even if the art is a little lacking on a few. My only complaint is that they got really dragon crazy at the end there (especially since there are no fairies I guess).

What number is it?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Safari chat: finally got caught up and added everyone since my last post.

My FC is 3969-5341-7035
IGN: Burnt
My safari has Tangela, Sawshuck, and 1 unknown.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

What number is it?

It's from the Smogon CAP stuff

http://www.smogon.com/cap/pokemon/krilowatt

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

jadebullet posted:

Ah, the entire cave isn't like that, only a small part. I take it back, it is better. I just thought they took the fun to explore caves and replaced them entirely with a gridlike maze. Thinking back on it, I now remember that there was a different cave that I spent about a second traveling through so I probably should have realized that caves weren't all like that, but whatever.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the green crystals always point the way forward in the cave. Anything without them is a detour for an extra item.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I have to say that I am glad that they added the option on the GTS to type in what pokemon you want, even if you haven't seen it yet.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Calphite and Indrolith are actually really awesome fossil pokemon. Its nice to see some really lesser known prehistorical creatures in games, even if they are fan made.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Here's me getting completely dismantled by someone who's got a crazy rear end icon:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-74738256

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I think that's literally the guy who runs or created or something the whole showdown thing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Merged Pokebank/Gen 6 sucks and I hate it thanks :thumbsup:

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I think that's literally the guy who runs or created or something the whole showdown thing.

Special Thanks

Smogon University led by Chris Monsanto [chaos]

Explains the special Goku sprite I guess.

Jelly Omelet
Sep 2, 2011

I've been playing around with a doubles rain team on Showdown that has been doing decently well, but I'm sure it could be better. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what I could do to make it better.

El Kappa (Ludicolo) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Surf
- Substitute

Sort of mixed wall. Probably the most survivable with all his passive healing and Substitute.

Raiden (Heliolisk) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Parabolic Charge
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Surf

Usually paired with Ludicolo so he can heal any Life Orb damage from surf. I'm thinking about replacing Surf and Parabolic Charge, but I'm not sure with what yet.

Keroro (Politoed) (F) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Scald
- Encore
- Ice Beam

Mostly here to keep rain going, and sometimes disrupt things with Encore or a lucky burn from Scald.

Banjo (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Kinda doing a mix of special attacking and spreading burns. Surprisingly not getting a lot of use. I've been thinking about switching up his move set, or just replacing him.

Sundowner (Scizor) (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- X-Scissor
- Pursuit
- Roost

Physical attacker whos main job is dealing with grass types like Exeggutor who otherwise wall the rest of the team.

Dragoom (Goodra) (M) @ Binding Band
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Infestation
- Toxic
- Rest
- Rain Dance

Another bulky special wall and secondary rain dancer.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a reason the game would neglect to prompt me to learn a move? I was holding off evolving Chespin until he learned Needle Arm. I hit level 23 and decided to check bulbapedia to see how much longer I needed to wait, and found out he's supposed to learn it at 21. I was never prompted to forget a move and replace it or anything.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Jelly Omelettle posted:

I've been playing around with a doubles rain team on Showdown that has been doing decently well, but I'm sure it could be better. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what I could do to make it better.

I feel like you're relying too much on stall - you should look into an offensive swift swimmer for your rain team. Kabutops and Kingdra are really good although Kabutops isn't VGC legal (use Kingdra if you're playing on VGC). Also I'd look into another rain setter like a Prankster of some kind. Sableye and Klefki can both Rain Dance IIRC, and Thundurus and Tornadus can use rain dance if you're playing Battle Spot.

Oh whoops didn't see Goodra with rain dance :blush:. Still, you can get a lot more mileage in weather wars by having weather setters at priority.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 4, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Parabolic charge is an awful move. Even with good spat it doesn't do much damage due to double target reduction and the healing from it is basically nothing as a result.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Why would anyone play challenge cup when the monthly format exists:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/seasonalwinterswont-74762501

Random level 1000 pokemon, doubles inverse battle.

Jelly Omelet
Sep 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

I feel like you're relying too much on stall - you should look into an offensive swift swimmer for your rain team. Kabutops and Kingdra are really good although Kabutops isn't VGC legal (use Kingdra if you're playing on VGC). Also I'd look into another rain setter like a Prankster of some kind. Sableye and Klefki can both Rain Dance IIRC, and Thundurus and Tornadus can use rain dance if you're playing Battle Spot.

I thought about adding Kingdra, but I wasn't sure if swift swim was still banned or not. I'm not sure why using a Prankster rain setter never crossed my mind, it seems so perfect. Klefki might fit well with rain canceling out its fire weakness. Thanks for the advice.

Internet Kraken posted:

Parabolic charge is an awful move. Even with good spat it doesn't do much damage due to double target reduction and the healing from it is basically nothing as a result.

Yeah, I think I've used Parabolic Charge all of once. I've been meaning to replace it. I was thinking Volt Switch of Dark Pulse might work.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

jivjov posted:

Is there a reason the game would neglect to prompt me to learn a move? I was holding off evolving Chespin until he learned Needle Arm. I hit level 23 and decided to check bulbapedia to see how much longer I needed to wait, and found out he's supposed to learn it at 21. I was never prompted to forget a move and replace it or anything.

Serebii says Chespin doesn't learn Needle Arm. Bulbapedia might be wrong on that one.

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM

Crosscontaminant posted:

And yet the broken one is Aurumoth (where poor management led to the original concept getting lost and creating a Pokémon with a movepool so wide that in the real game it could only ever be a legendary) and not Necturna. Necturna can get any of the best moves in the game with Sketch, but it can only get one. It's not Smeargle with good stats - throughout its creation they worked to avoid that. Its movepool is shallow enough that it's rather severely typecast by its choice of Sketch move.

vvv Egg moves couldn't be relearned in Gen V. CAPmons don't get transfered forwards.

Aurumoth was bullshit because the Topic Leader was hellbent on making a Bug type legendary and whenever multiple options were given he'd pick the most OP one without really explaining why. Necturna was really cool and there were a decent number of sets that were created using her.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

drat Luchito looks cool! The Electric typing seems a bit superfluous though.

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM

BattleCake posted:

While we're on the topic of fakemon, apparently some people from /vp/ (the pokemon board on 4chan) are making a fan-game complete with their own 200+ custom pokemon. The game is called Pokemon Sage for anybody curious. I don't know anything about the game itself other than the fact that it's partially inspired by Central/South America, but I got linked their pokedex so far and found some of the designs neat Here's a link (warning: very large image):

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/capx/images/0/05/WikiDex123113.png

The quality of design/art varies but I found a couple of the designs cool, notably #116 TERRORCOTTA :black101: and #220 Ragnarow. It's also interesting to see what ideas people come up with for some of the stranger type combinations like Ice/Poison (#201-202), as well as when pokemon are designed off lesser known real-world animals like the Musk Deer (#017-019) and the :gonk:tongue-eating louse:gonk: (#177-178).

Anyways just thought some of you pokemon nerds would find that entertaining.

DUNKYWUNKR :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
:siren:New tourney up now that the holidays are over, grab a friend and come on over:siren:

I love this name.

• Locked thread