Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

Kaboobi posted:

And Heartbeats is kinda hit or miss, but some of the stuff on it is AWESOME.

That's exactly how I'd describe KILL. I can't bring myself to dislike any album with White Eyes and Escape From Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Saw 'em in DC last night. A lot of fun, highly recommended (especially at $15 a ticket). Band briefly walked off stage after some dude kept grabbing at Dick and then managed to jump up on stage, but a hearty chant of "gently caress THAT GUY! gently caress THAT GUY!" brought them back out.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

There's no such thing as a bad E6 album, just some that are better than others. :cool:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Just saw them at the Double Door in Chicago tonight, and grabbed a copy of Mustang. The concert was great, and I like the album at first listen(although I'll have to listen to it several more times to make sure it's not just leftover excitement from the concert. :v:). Definitely go see the tour if it's swinging by your area.

One of the guitarists(not The White Wolf, the other one) had a neck brace on, though. Kind of :ohdear: yet :gbsmith:-inducing to see him soldiering on regardless.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Yeah, Da Ve had a pretty brutal black eye and a neckbrace on last Friday at the Boston show.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Anyone else going to the Memphis show next Tuesday?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Kaboobi posted:

Yeah, Da Ve had a pretty brutal black eye and a neckbrace on last Friday at the Boston show.

still had a neck brace on here at Austin city limits

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
General impressions of Mustang now that I've had a few days to listen to it:

The art on the CD itself is cool, but the tracklist is printed on the CD in a hard to read green font that makes the whole thing look worse. Good thing I only needed to see the CD once, for ripping purposes. :v:

The insert is pictures of the band with random song lyrics(as in, a single line) from 6 of the songs. One of the chosen lyrics is "she goes AHHHHHHHHH". :allears:

As for the actual songs:

01. Nom de Plume - Not the best song they've made, not the worst. Makes a good opener, I guess.
02. Jessica Dresses like a Dragon - I like it. It doesn't make any loving sense, but I don't listen to E6 for songs that make sense.
03. Show Me What Your Lights Mean - Pretty good. Word of Dick says that the song is about aliens invading in the middle of a Texan college football game, and everyone being destroyed but the tomboys and computer nerds. You can sort of get that from the lyrics.
04. Adam Levine - Exactly as immature, catchy, and great as the first time I heard it.
05. Cranial Games - Pretty forgettable. I accidentally left it on repeat for 15 minutes once and still can't remember a thing about it.
06. The New Shampoo - Forgettable on first listen, but it's grown on me. Probably going to be one of those songs that I'm going to forget about, and then make me go "wait, I actually really like this" when it comes up on shuffle.
07. Iron Dragon - The obligatory slow song. It's pretty good.
08. Late Night Obama Food - Nonsensical, insane, ridiculous, wonderful.
09. I Never hosed Her - Not a huge fan.
10. Miss Peaches Wears an Iron Dress - Fun song, pretty laid back like Synthesizer or Table & Chairs.
11. Unnatural Beauty - Classic E6.
12. Gimme the Eyes - Nice and dancy. I like it.
13. Skin Traps - This would fit right in on KILL. Which is a short way of saying "I wasn't too enamoured with it at first listen, but it grew on me."
14. Cheryl vs. Darryl - A slower, more serious song. I'm a fan.

Overall, I'd say this is another solid album. Definitely worth getting if you're at a concert selling them, or on the 8th if you're stuck getting it the normal way.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really didn't like Mustang, as in it has the least songs I like of any album.

Nom de Plume - i really liked it.
Show Me What Your Lights Means - classic E6 kind of thing.
The New Shampoo - totally a Hello! I See You, I'm a fan.
Late Night Obama Food - interesting lyrics but not that great.

Rest of the songs are kind of bland and forgettable, compared to previous albums.

Maybe it's just me but it kind of feels like the lyrics are getting a bit lazy. Every other album has several songs with kind of iconic and rememberable (is it a word?) lyrics but the only thing from Mustang that stuck in my mind is "We are desperate! We'll eat anything they'll put inside the box."

EDIT: I guess I'll just sit in the corner listening to old albums and cry bitter tears.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Jack Trades posted:

I really didn't like Mustang, as in it has the least songs I like of any album.

Nom de Plume - i really liked it.
Show Me What Your Lights Means - classic E6 kind of thing.
The New Shampoo - totally a Hello! I See You, I'm a fan.
Late Night Obama Food - interesting lyrics but not that great.

Rest of the songs are kind of bland and forgettable, compared to previous albums.

Maybe it's just me but it kind of feels like the lyrics are getting a bit lazy. Every other album has several songs with kind of iconic and rememberable (is it a word?) lyrics but the only thing from Mustang that stuck in my mind is "We are desperate! We'll eat anything they'll put inside the box."

EDIT: I guess I'll just sit in the corner listening to old albums and cry bitter tears.

Yeah, more or less in the same boat. Also I wish they could afford a better producer or something, doesn't really sound great.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
It took a while to settle in but I'm really happy with the album. "Late Night Obama Food" and "Cheryl vs Darryl" is the Electric Six taking strange risks which I always love, especially the latter which I love to picture as some moody 80s goth band singing about their suburban parents. And the end section of the gorgeous "Miss Peaches Wears an Iron Dress" to "Skin Traps" is wonderful. Future of the Left and Electric Six have been my favourite bands for years now so having both their releases come out a few days apart has almost singlehandedly made up for the lackluster music coming out of the first half of the year.

It's not redefining the very idiom that is rock music, but its another September that turned out to be worth living for.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I find you have to listen to E6 albums a few times to properly get them, every time a new one comes out I initially think of it as less good than the others, but it really grows on you and eventually you like it just as much.

Then again I liked the majority of KILL so what do I know? :v:

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013
Mustang was kind of a weak album in my opinion. It felt like it was lacking something, but I can't really put my finger on what it is. :reject:
But there was some really rad songs on there, the new shampoo was really good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

IMHO, Mustang isn't bad per-sebut it's definitely one of the least exciting albums.
I even enjoyed Absolute Pleasure more than Mustang to be honest.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Electric Six performed for NPR's World Cafe: http://www.npr.org/blogs/WorldCafe/2013/10/24/240518105/electric-six-on-world-cafe

Set list: Show Me What Your Lights Mean, Steal Your Bones, Down At McDonnelzzz, & Synthesizer.

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013
Clusterfuck is such a good song, you guy's were right, Zodiac is a really rad album.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Andy D is an amazing opening act and should tour with Electric Six, always. Imagine if Danny McBride had a trashy band that consisted of him and his wife. very funny and entertaining. Amazingly nice guy as well.

My sister had an interview with Dick Valentine and afterwards we sat in the 'green room' and talked poo poo. The man does not like Russia.

Great guy. Really drat timid actually. And short. But when the stage persona fades there's just a really sweet guy under there who really loves his job. Not what I expected.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Andy D is an amazing opening act and should tour with Electric Six, always. Imagine if Danny McBride had a trashy band that consisted of him and his wife. very funny and entertaining. Amazingly nice guy as well.

My sister had an interview with Dick Valentine and afterwards we sat in the 'green room' and talked poo poo. The man does not like Russia.

Great guy. Really drat timid actually. And short. But when the stage persona fades there's just a really sweet guy under there who really loves his job. Not what I expected.

Anywhere we can catch that interview?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Andy D is the best. I want him to be my unicorn

Nklus
Aug 23, 2005

If you didn't already know, I have an unhealthy obsession with the Joker!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Andy D is an amazing opening act and should tour with Electric Six, always.

He really is. He has been touring with E6 on and off for almost 2 years straight now. When Andy D and E6 play in Andy's hometown of Indianapolis you usually get a double-feature of Dick guesting on the song he did with Andy "He's a Freak" and Andy comes out for "It Gets Hot". Hopefully they are doing that on the current tour because it is amazing.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Anywhere we can catch that interview?

I'll ask my sister. It was her first interview and apparently they cut out all the good stuff that didn't involve the prepared by the venue questions. She did a lengthy word association session with Dick. All those moments lost like tears in the rain.

Dalmuti posted:

Andy D is the best. I want him to be my unicorn

That's a very Andy D thing of you to say.

Nklus posted:

He really is. He has been touring with E6 on and off for almost 2 years straight now. When Andy D and E6 play in Andy's hometown of Indianapolis you usually get a double-feature of Dick guesting on the song he did with Andy "He's a Freak" and Andy comes out for "It Gets Hot". Hopefully they are doing that on the current tour because it is amazing.

They didn't do He's A Freak, but Andy and his wife did come on stage to sing It Gets Hot with Dick. It was a real highlight.

Also, Andy did a cover of Jimmy Carter. A lot of fun.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgk4vl4wLDk

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's a very Andy D thing of you to say.

Well duh

Dissapointed Owl posted:

They didn't do He's A Freak, but Andy and his wife did come on stage to sing It Gets Hot with Dick. It was a real highlight.

Also, Andy did a cover of Jimmy Carter. A lot of fun.

His jimmy carter cover is masterful

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Didn't think it was possible to top this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCx0IOWuJfM

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013

Pops Mgee posted:

Didn't think it was possible to top this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCx0IOWuJfM

These are both great, thanks for the links. :)

Nklus
Aug 23, 2005

If you didn't already know, I have an unhealthy obsession with the Joker!

Dalmuti posted:

Well duh

His jimmy carter cover is masterful

Get it for FREE now. http://andyd.bandcamp.com/ Just enter 0 as the price.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

The teaser for Absolute Treasure is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOu-5av8E4E

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013
Who are some musicians like Electric Six?

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
They're pretty much unique I think, no one else I've heard mashes their genres up the same way. Doesn't help that any recommendations I get based on liking them are invariably awful.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Uniscott posted:

Who are some musicians like Electric Six?

evil cowards
johnny headband

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!
Yip Deceiver, another E6/Andy D alumni, will be opening for Electric Six in March. They are really good - not nearly as goofy or weird as Andy D - but solid throwback R'n'B/funk electro. Reggie Watts is in one of their videos, which is kind of funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSelJI6xqfE

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
I didn't really get Andy D when he opened for E6, it felt too gimmicky to me.

I've seen them like 8 or 9 times now and they always have great openers (Bang Camaro, Gay Blades, Mark Mallman all stand out)

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Yeah, most of their openers have been fantastic.

I already loved Bang Camaro and Gay Blades before, and they introduced me to a few other great ones like Kitten and Tragedy.
Local H was alright too, I guess?
Edit: Oh, and Township is fantastic, was formed by a couple of ex Bang Camaro dudes.

I was never a fan of Andy D or Les Sans Culottes, and I'm pretty bummed I've seen both of them open twice so far :(

Totally Check out Gay Blades if you haven't, both Ghosts and Savages are solid funky garage rocky albums.

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 14, 2014

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

I saw Bang Camaro open for E6 once and was completely unimpressed. However, when little hurricane opened they were amazing.

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013

Kaboobi posted:

Yeah, most of their openers have been fantastic.

I already loved Bang Camaro and Gay Blades before, and they introduced me to a few other great ones like Kitten and Tragedy.
Local H was alright too, I guess?
Edit: Oh, and Township is fantastic, was formed by a couple of ex Bang Camaro dudes.

I was never a fan of Andy D or Les Sans Culottes, and I'm pretty bummed I've seen both of them open twice so far :(

Totally Check out Gay Blades if you haven't, both Ghosts and Savages are solid funky garage rocky albums.

Really liking gay blades right now, I'll continue to check em out. And then I'll check out the latter two. And I've been meaning to check out evil cowards. I'll have to do that sometime soon.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I really liked The Constellations when they opened up for them a couple years back. I've never been able to stand Mark Mallman though.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I'm actually heading out to see the gay blades this weekend. It's part of their reunion tour (they broke up for a week).

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013

Evil Vin posted:

I'm actually heading out to see the gay blades this weekend. It's part of their reunion tour (they broke up for a week).

How melodramatic. :allears:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Millions of Brazilians was really good when they opened for them, but they're a Detroit local band that hasn't done much in the few years afterward :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
Dick was on Red Eye again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69IzMxkgOFo

• Locked thread