Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Devor posted:

Anyone have the link for the Cleric druid build that can live really well while dpsing?

Edit: think I found it

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-dis...titive-dps.html

That's the only build that lets me play while not paying full attention really, kinda like the Duracell Cleric build that I miss. I wish they would redo the combat animations for a lot of the swings though, they just look really off to me. The attack that annoys me the most is swinging a 2h'er with 1 hand then throwing it to the other hand over and over again (while spamming your attack button).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
I played that spec up to 58ish but have switched over to the Druidicar for the final stretch to 60, just because the survivability of the Justicar makes AOE farming a cinch.

It definitely trades in the single-target DPS though, I miss those big Massive Blows.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

KaneTW posted:

hahahaha

afaik halvon quit and trion are yet to hire his replacement. its a shame because i like the fights halvon worked on (thrax, salvarola, abominus) way more than the ones cyzo/vladd did (inyr, ultane). but ahov has a huge hardon for healing checks and long, boring fights (volan) so i feel like i shouldnt get my hopes up.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Gonna be massively disappointed if the achievements for it aren't entirely references to the Gary Wright song. Wayne's World references would also be acceptable.

shut up gelly posted:

afaik halvon quit and trion are yet to hire his replacement. its a shame because i like the fights halvon worked on (thrax, salvarola, abominus) way more than the ones cyzo/vladd did (inyr, ultane). but ahov has a huge hardon for healing checks and long, boring fights (volan) so i feel like i shouldnt get my hopes up.

That blows.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Devor posted:

Anyone have the link for the Cleric druid build that can live really well while dpsing?

Edit: think I found it

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-dis...titive-dps.html

Confirming that you found it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Druid is really lazy like every other pet spec, but Defiler is probably the king of being impossible to die with while still doing damage. It'd be impossible to die with just the beacon or just explosive growth, but it has both, and then at 60 you get a go invincible button.

(Inquisitor is far from invincible, but actually gets pretty survivable at 60 too because you can reset the Judicial Privilege CD)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Is there a way to make it blindingly obvious when a specific proc goes off? I'm terrible at noticing these things, but need to set up a 2nd macro for when Eldrich Armor procs, but I have no idea how to tell when it's happened.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The Locator posted:

Is there a way to make it blindingly obvious when a specific proc goes off? I'm terrible at noticing these things, but need to set up a 2nd macro for when Eldrich Armor procs, but I have no idea how to tell when it's happened.

The game actually gives you a reactive icon when eldritch procs. The karuul alerts addon can be used to track buffs/debuffs/procs and stuff in general.

admiral.baby
May 1, 2009
Invite for Nazli, please.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Can someone toss Ayaen a guild re-invite please.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

The game actually gives you a reactive icon when eldritch procs. The karuul alerts addon can be used to track buffs/debuffs/procs and stuff in general.

An alternative would be the Gadgets addon, make a new gadget for tracking buffs on yourself, whitelist the name of anything you want to see and it will be up in the window when available. Can do the same thing to track debuffs on mobs.

admiral.baby
May 1, 2009

mr. nobody posted:

An alternative would be the Gadgets addon, make a new gadget for tracking buffs on yourself, whitelist the name of anything you want to see and it will be up in the window when available. Can do the same thing to track debuffs on mobs.

Speaking of KA, tracking buffs, etc, is there a way to set up KA so that, say, if I'm in a Nightblade build it doesn't track Ranger buffs from other roles? Does that make sense?

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

admiral.baby posted:

Speaking of KA, tracking buffs, etc, is there a way to set up KA so that, say, if I'm in a Nightblade build it doesn't track Ranger buffs from other roles? Does that make sense?

You can make different sets in Kalert and then macro the command to swap sets/spec/gear:
/loadequip 1
/kalert set=1
/role 1

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

oneof3steves posted:

You can make different sets in Kalert and then macro the command to swap sets/spec/gear:
/loadequip 1
/kalert set=1
/role 1

roles is a really good addon for this as it lets you designate items to replace as well, allowing you to put a synergy crystal on based on the role. this way you have fewer loadequips to update when you get new gear.

shut up gelly fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 4, 2014

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

Thanks for all the tips. I realized it was actually showing me the proc, I'm just too oblivious to realize it. I moved the reactive window up into the middle under my guy, and doubled the size. Good enough for now.

admiral.baby
May 1, 2009

oneof3steves posted:

/loadequip 1
/kalert set=1
/role 1

Awesome, thanks!

trippy
Jul 25, 2007
Can someone invite DoodyMcDoo please

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008
Hi guys, can I get an invite for Edilaic and Annesidora?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Guild invites should be done up to this post.

H.P. Lovecraft
Nov 20, 2008
Throw Naughtyarrow an invite when you get a chance, thanks.

Drunkenboxer
Oct 3, 2007

eh?
Looking for a invite please,

In-game name is Mordackis

thanks

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.
Hello! I'm back into this game and it is so awesome thus far! I just found an item that changes my character into a reindeer-corgi hybrid and it is so cute. I'd like to get into the guild so if you see Candache sending you a message, let me in! Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks for the invite! Now I will smite dudes more easily.

King of the Cosmos fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 6, 2014

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

oneof3steves posted:

/loadequip 1
/kalert set=1
/role 1

shut up gelly posted:

roles is a really good addon for this as it lets you designate items to replace as well, allowing you to put a synergy crystal on based on the role. this way you have fewer loadequips to update when you get new gear.

Yeah I would just suggesting getting the roles addon. You can add custom macro text to swap karuulalert sets when you change your roles and it'll let you switch between two different gear sets for the same role if you want (for pve and pvp, or other reasons). It also makes managing and remembering which equipment set is tied to which character since it's listed in the roles addon for each role, meaning you don't have to go back through your macro list and check.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
QTforever

Join 4 guild etc. Hoping to kick the WoW habit :)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Has anything interesting been added in the last couple of months? Have they at all bothered with making PVP more fun and less grindy? I don't care about PVE/RAID stuff at all.

Edit: Just looked on the RIFT PVP forums :negative: and was honestly surprised to see the majority of people saying that PVP is dead and buried which is quite the change. So that answer that.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 6, 2014

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Stanley Pain posted:

Has anything interesting been added in the last couple of months? Have they at all bothered with making PVP more fun and less grindy? I don't care about PVE/RAID stuff at all.

Nothing in 2.5 for pvp really, and I'm not sure what 2.6 will have. We will probably start to see 2.6 things hit the PTS now that the holidays are over. They like to have focused patches though, and so probably won't have a pvp focused one until pvp dimensions are ready to go.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eltoasto posted:

Nothing in 2.5 for pvp really, and I'm not sure what 2.6 will have. We will probably start to see 2.6 things hit the PTS now that the holidays are over. They like to have focused patches though, and so probably won't have a pvp focused one until pvp dimensions are ready to go.

It's not even that I'm looking for new content. There's a LOT of things fundamentally broken about RIFT PVP and I don't think that will ever be fixed.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

there's a ranked 5v5 arena now where you get bolstered to rank 90 gear

however nobody queues and the meta is terrible and unbalanced, pve trinkets are absurdly overpowered in it, there are no rewards and there really seems to have been 0 effort put into it (its full of assets from the original black garden even though there's no fang)

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Stanley Pain posted:

It's not even that I'm looking for new content. There's a LOT of things fundamentally broken about RIFT PVP and I don't think that will ever be fixed.

When you've got limited resources, you put it towards the areas of most importance. That's not pvp in Rift. Hardcore pvp'ers have moved on to three different games by now, they are a fickle bunch. I think Trion realizes and is comfortable with Rift pvp as a side distraction from PVE.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eltoasto posted:

When you've got limited resources, you put it towards the areas of most importance. That's not pvp in Rift. Hardcore pvp'ers have moved on to three different games by now, they are a fickle bunch. I think Trion realizes and is comfortable with Rift pvp as a side distraction from PVE.

It's unfortunate. Had a lot of good times in RIFT, and absolutely adored the class system. I came to the realization that PVP is a tiny after-thought a while ago. Played out my free one year sub that ended in Oct.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Bopping around in sub 60 PvP is still a lot of fun because how it is imbalanced changes every level.
PvP at 60 is a core tho

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

Hardcore pvp'ers have moved on to three different games by now, they are a fickle bunch.

Curious. Which three games?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
There hasn't been a good, skill based PVP MMO in forever and then some. :smith:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Snaxx posted:

Curious. Which three games?

Oh I meant that they have moved on to three games in succession since then, because they want the next game to be Ultima Online and 12 years ago can't happen.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

It's unfortunate. Had a lot of good times in RIFT, and absolutely adored the class system. I came to the realization that PVP is a tiny after-thought a while ago. Played out my free one year sub that ended in Oct.

I was in the beta, and I seem to remember the development team back then being very open that with the amazing flexibility of the soul system, they would always have to balance for PVE and because of that, PVP would always be secondary.

Personally I think that this is the right decision, as I am not sure it's really possible to make a game that is fun and balanced for both.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

Oh I meant that they have moved on to three games in succession since then, because they want the next game to be Ultima Online and 12 years ago can't happen.

UO was 1998, you should probably update your calendar. :))

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

drat. I was hoping you knew of one. :smith:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

The Locator posted:

UO was 1998, you should probably update your calendar. :))

It was released in 1997, and UO:R was released in 2000 which is when most PvPers think it was killed, but it was still an extremely popular PvP game for quite awhile after that. So 12 years is fair =-p DAoC was released in 2001, which was then the next big PvP game everyone still wishes every new game would be.

But yeah, low level PvP in RIFT is pretty fun, way less so at cap once you've got the silly gear grind. They've got some really well done BGs, it just becomes a huge clusterfuck of gear grinding and imbalance at the cap.

The Locator posted:

I was in the beta, and I seem to remember the development team back then being very open that with the amazing flexibility of the soul system, they would always have to balance for PVE and because of that, PVP would always be secondary.

Personally I think that this is the right decision, as I am not sure it's really possible to make a game that is fun and balanced for both.

Pretty much this though yeah. PvP or PvE suffers when they spend too much time focusing on the other. Plus people always want them to shoehorn PvP into every game (like Marvel Heroes and DDO for terrible examples).

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
There are ways around the design focus limitations like making some options so painfully attractive for PvP that it limits the number of things that need to be balanced, but the entire well is poisoned by the whole WoW-like mentality. They can't entertain the grind-for-rewards and character-as-investment crowds by forcing players to grind away rank and character level handicaps while simultaneously trying to imply that the competition is fair, and they can't make interesting gameplay when fights devolve into sticking a minus sign between incoming damage and healing and occasionally slapping the controls out of players' hands for a few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Game is up or down right now? Just tried to connect, depending on attempt login times out or connecting into game world timesout and dumps out.

• Locked thread