Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

OldTennisCourt posted:

Edit: Seriously, it's incredible there are people literally comparing feminists to nazis and trying to justify rape threats.
Also I hear people calling her basically a feminist Jack Thompson, it just boggles the mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Jimbot posted:

New Half in the Bag

The opening is priceless.

"She calls when I'm in the BATHROOM I gotta get up off the BATHROOM"
Mike completely missed the point of Don Jon. Like, to a baffling degree.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Those guys missing the mark yet remaining remarkably self-assured about their analysis would hardly be new for them, although I'm hard-pressed to come up with a specific example to back up that assertion (and gently caress if I'm combing their archives for one).

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I dunno, there were some people saying they missed the point of movies like Amazing Spider-Man, but in that specific case I really despised the film and agreed with them 100%. Even if I don't really agree with them on something, they have a very down to earth perspective on films that I think is always worth listening to.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

Oh hey Angry Joe puts out a relatively mature video that includes a take-down of awful misogynistic manchildren and what a surprise, the comment section is horrendous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voVpvKlntDM

Edit: Seriously, it's incredible there are people literally comparing feminists to nazis and trying to justify rape threats.

Aside the video, which was actually genuinely really good; what the gently caress is that song playing over the Phil Fish meltdown?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostpilot posted:

I somehow managed to avoid watching Baywatch as I was growing up (:aaa: it started in '89?). Crazy to think that it started on NBC and was canceled after the first season* only to survive in syndication thanks to Hasselhoff. I had no idea he was that successful. Hasselhoff could buy a small country based on what he made from Baywatch alone.

Another Baywatch fun fact: the theme song was co-written and sung by Jimi Jamison of Survivor, who sang "Burning Heart" from Rocky IV and "The Moment of Truth" from The Karate Kid.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Oh hey Angry Joe puts out a relatively mature video that includes a take-down of awful misogynistic manchildren and what a surprise, the comment section is horrendous.

Hey wow an Angry Joe video that I didn't turn off in 30 seconds.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cannot Find Server posted:

Hey wow an Angry Joe video that I didn't turn off in 30 seconds.

Same. His "controversies" video in 2012 was incredibly dumb with a lot of his choices and I've thought he was a bit of a dumb "bro" gamer with an inflated ego, but his comments on Feminist Frequency were really good and everything he brought up this year were very valid concerns.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mokinokaro posted:

Same. His "controversies" video in 2012 was incredibly dumb with a lot of his choices and I've thought he was a bit of a dumb "bro" gamer with an inflated ego, but his comments on Feminist Frequency were really good and everything he brought up this year were very valid concerns.

Yeah, I found myself agreeing with everything he said, especially regarding Feminist Frequency, paid betas and games being released in a terrible state. If his videos are more like this one in the future, maybe I'll become a regular watcher of his.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Angry Joe's watchability has actually gone up as his popularity has exploded, which is the opposite of the way it usually goes. Good for him.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is Todd not doing a year end top-10 this year? Because he usually has that out in late December...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DStecks posted:

Is Todd not doing a year end top-10 this year? Because he usually has that out in late December...

His top 10 lists from previous years have almost all been out in mid to late January if the dates on Blip are any indication.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cannot Find Server posted:

His top 10 lists from previous years have almost all been out in mid to late January if the dates on Blip are any indication.

Weird, I could have swore that he put them out in December at least once. I distinctly remember one of the top-10's coming out on my birthday, which is December 23rd. Maybe I'm thinking of some other critic who released a big new video on my birthday. :confused:

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 21, 2014

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

I think the new look for the website itself is a plus.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Spoony posts videos too slowly to have a storyline work.

At least Atop the 4th Wall is weekly, so the serialisation works better.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
So after watching much of disneycember it seems that doug has two speeds: universally praise or not enjoy it at all.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Those guys missing the mark yet remaining remarkably self-assured about their analysis would hardly be new for them, although I'm hard-pressed to come up with a specific example to back up that assertion (and gently caress if I'm combing their archives for one).
Man of Steel I think they went off the mark for the wrong reasons too

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It would have been funnier if Brad was playing Snow, if only for the fact that there's like a foot-and-a-half height difference between him and how tall Snow is alleged to be by Square.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Slate Action posted:

Angry Joe's watchability has actually gone up as his popularity has exploded, which is the opposite of the way it usually goes. Good for him.

I think it's because he's become far less reliant on gimmicks and skits. His old videos are full of corporate commander and other silliness and he uses that kind of stuff a lot more sparingly nowadays (and can actually be pretty funny on occasion.)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Slate Action posted:

Indeed...I've never been a big fan, but the guy's got 1.2 million subs - as far as Youtube's game reviewers go, that might just be 2nd only to AVGN (I checked - nearly 1.4m, so presumably he's still the king, and rightly so). Not bad for someone who I'm pretty sure the thread was generally mocking as an even worse "angry" reviewer than the Irate Gamer only a couple of years back.

Really, despite all the anger and how wearying that can get, especially for such a long video...for 45 minutes, he holds everybody's attention. As much as there are videos in the past people can point at and rightly mock him for, nowadays? Yeah, he's really good at it. His production is top notch, and his hosting skills? While you wouldn't exactly call all the swearing and that professional, he's a great fit for Youtube. He may well be ranting behind a green screen for minutes, but it never sounds stilted or scripted, and there isn't even all that many cuts. He doesn't even need to put this much effort in at this stage of the game, but he does - his passion may make him sound kind of silly and over the top sometimes, but you couldn't ever accuse him of not loving what he does.

(I'm aware that a lot of this just sounds like silly fawning over something that's "good for Youtube"...but meh, I like appreciating a good production, even if only because I could learn from it.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Joe has improved a lot, one of my complaints against him were his hosed up audio levels where he or someone else would be extremely quiet then someone else talks and they are extremely loud (his Far Cry 2 video is a big offender here) and that doesn't seem to come up anymore. I just wish he would decide if he should censor his swears or not. Hearing a bleep then 5 seconds later hearing him say "gently caress" without censoring it fills me with rage for some reason. See his Dragon's Dogma review where a scene goes pretty much like this:

"You sit your pawns down and tell them to shut the *beep* up. Jacob I brought you here to tell you to shut the gently caress up"

Downvoted and unsubscribed :mad: (I don't really do this)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I could never hate on Joe. He's so completely guileless and straightforward, it seems like he genuinely goes into every game wanting to like it. You always know with him that you're getting exactly his opinion and nothing less. He's got no agenda, and he isn't a corporate stooge. He plays games and tells you if he liked them.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
He gave Guild Wars 2 a 10/10 and named it his GOTY last year, so he's alright to me.

...I have a very specific checklist for following internet persons, you see.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Call me a typical north eastern yank but god drat I wish he would talk faster :suicide:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Honestly, my biggest worry with Joe was that he was going to be another internet gaming personality ruined by being an awful human being and his video with the Feminist Frequency thing was a massive breath of fresh air. Like others have said, he seems like a dude who just WANTS to love video games and loves playing them with other people.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Honestly, my biggest worry with Joe was that he was going to be another internet gaming personality ruined by being an awful human being and his video with the Feminist Frequency thing was a massive breath of fresh air. Like others have said, he seems like a dude who just WANTS to love video games and loves playing them with other people.
I really wish there were more like him in his presentation, especially in the world of gaming "journalism"

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

Whelp, he earned a subscription from me. Again.

If he could learn to edit himself down to about half his typical running time, I may actually start watching his videos, too.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
For another guy angrily yelling about videogames, corporate greed, and sexism, Jim Sterling's Jimquisition series is pretty good too.

The downside is that it's on The Escapist, so uh, yeah.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Mutation posted:

For another guy angrily yelling about videogames, corporate greed, and sexism, Jim Sterling's Jimquisition series is pretty good too.

The one thing I hate about the Escapist more than anything is making HTML5 video a premium. Try to avoid watching video on my laptop if I can help it. :argh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mutation posted:

The other downside is that Jim's a smug asshat too. The guy knows knows the video game industry like Paul Krugman knows economics or Ezra Klein knows politics, but that doesn't make him any less insufferable.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Paul Krugman knows economics | Ezra Klein knows politics
On of these things is not like the other, one of these men is a giant shitstain, can you tell me which fucker is not like the other, before he calls an imam the epitome of anti democracy again?

I'm am a dumb, I saw Ezra Levant.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Escapist, also known as a website that allowed and encouraged a "What's wrong with rape?" thread for like ever.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

The other downside is that Jim's a smug asshat too. The guy knows knows the video game industry like Paul Krugman knows economics or Ezra Klein knows politics, but that doesn't make him any less insufferable.

I think he gets that it's really, really hard to talk about video games with any sort of critical or academic tone without sounding like a complete tosser, so he decided to just go overboard with the whole V for Vendetta motif.

I mean, poo poo, look at this thread. Extra Credits, Errant Signal, Jimquisition, Feminist Frequency, Egoraptor, Movie Bob, and basically every other show that approaches video games from a more critical angle, be it industry or narrative deconstruction, gets slagged as "smug." I honestly think it's just the side effect of doing critical deconstruction on a medium as young and familiar as video games. By and large it seems the only way to avoid being dismissed as an asshat is to do the AVGN/Zero Punctuation thing and act like a bigger asshat than is humanly possible, and just slip in bits of critical deconstruction in between comedically absurd insults.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LFK posted:

I think he gets that it's really, really hard to talk about video games with any sort of critical or academic tone without sounding like a complete tosser, so he decided to just go overboard with the whole V for Vendetta motif.

I mean, poo poo, look at this thread. Extra Credits, Errant Signal, Jimquisition, Feminist Frequency, Egoraptor, Movie Bob, and basically every other show that approaches video games from a more critical angle, be it industry or narrative deconstruction, gets slagged as "smug." I honestly think it's just the side effect of doing critical deconstruction on a medium as young and familiar as video games. By and large it seems the only way to avoid being dismissed as an asshat is to do the AVGN/Zero Punctuation thing and act like a bigger asshat than is humanly possible, and just slip in bits of critical deconstruction in between comedically absurd insults.

No, that's not my point at all. I mean as a person irrespective of his work, Jim Sterling comes across as a huge smug asshat, and it takes me out of said work whenever I go to watch or read anything he does. He's kind of the diametric opposite of Doug Walker when it comes to quality of critical/analytical content vs. general personality presentation. At least in my opinion.

StealthArcher posted:

On of these things is not like the other, one of these men is a giant shitstain, can you tell me which fucker is not like the other, before he calls an imam the epitome of anti democracy again?

I'm am a dumb, I saw Ezra Levant.
:stare:
loving hell, I would not cite Ezra Levant as a credible source on anything. Though good catch regardless.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DStecks posted:

I could never hate on Joe. He's so completely guileless and straightforward, it seems like he genuinely goes into every game wanting to like it. You always know with him that you're getting exactly his opinion and nothing less. He's got no agenda, and he isn't a corporate stooge. He plays games and tells you if he liked them.
I agree with this completely, and he improves over time and you can tell he isn't too proud yo admit to mistakes or misconceptions.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

nine-gear crow posted:

The guy knows knows the video game industry like Paul Krugman knows economics

Jesus Christ, what an awful example.

Anyway, agreed with the general consensus that Joe has improved significantly over the last couple of years. I don't watch his stuff regularly, but the jump in quality is clear. It's interesting to watch some reviewers continually put more effort into their work (Joe, kinda-sorta Doug) and others just flat-out plateau, or even decline.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LFK posted:

Pretty much, he accepted long ago that if he was going to make a 'living' doing anything about video games other than saying "I LIKED WHEN YOU PRESSED B TO MAKE HIM DO THAT THING I THOUGHT THAT THE TIMES WHEN YOU PRESSED Y TO MAKE HIM DO THAT OTHER THING WERE NOT AS GOOD THOUGH SEVEN OUT OF THIRTY NINE RENT DON'T BUY" he's going to not only have to deal with legions of douchebags, but also sound like one as well. So now between bouts of laughing at dragon dildos he says 'hey maybe stop literally bullying women out of the industry you stupid cocksuckers' and hopes it gets through.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Looking back, it's also not without precedent as I recall Joe was also pretty adamant about how giving Lightening jiggle physics in XIII-3 was incredibly loving stupid and he even called out some of his own followers on twitter when they went" B-B-B-BUT FEMENISM :qq:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I did a thing on Cybersix.

• Locked thread