Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

amuayse posted:

I was using dual bless flaggs in Insanegoons, and let me tell you, they're not worth it generally since they need lots of investment to be able to kill anything and survive the first hit (unless you're going for B9 and fighting an evo army). Generally anything flagg can do, a pikeman/crossbowman can do better. On the other hand, friars (stealth priests) are worth recruiting, and A9/E9 are very good on Marignon's mages since they're all holy.

MA Marignon's sacred cav are worth an investment as well. Give them a E4/W9 bless and they'll be able to be quite effective, if not especially cheap. On the other hand, W9 blessed cavalry is very durable until heavy evocations come into play in the mid-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Meinberg posted:

MA Marignon's sacred cav are worth an investment as well. Give them a E4/W9 bless and they'll be able to be quite effective, if not especially cheap. On the other hand, W9 blessed cavalry is very durable until heavy evocations come into play in the mid-game.

They are really god damned expensive though and E4/W9 Knights of the Chalice are still going to die to crossbow friendly fire. W9 is a lot of points for a single cap only unit that you can't mass. If you didn't luck out with something like crystal amazons those points would feel wasted.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

jBrereton posted:

What exactly are you building on your first turn as Marignon?

Assuming you take Prod 3 (take Prod 3 as MA Marignon), you should be able to get 5 Men at Arms for turn two to act as arrow bait. Put them up front, set them on Guard Commander to your prophet way at the back, with nothing in the way, and drag those indie archers right into your pikemen. Also set your crossbowmen to Fire Archers so they don't shoot the poo poo out of your pikemen when they career into the melee bit of whoever you're attacking.

And make sure to attack mountains if possible, as those tend to have the easiest indies compared to how many resources they provide (Forests can be a pain in the arse, if you're looking at a start next to a few, then attack with retreat orders on your scout, put them in the back row, it's a good way to get close to 100% accurate intelligence on what's in that province for turn 2).

I'll try it with 3 Prod, my runs only let me recruit 2 Men at Arms on the first turn, so I definitely didn't have that.

amuayse posted:

I was using dual bless flaggs in Insanegoons, and let me tell you, they're not worth it generally since they need lots of investment to be able to kill anything and survive the first hit (unless you're going for B9 and fighting an evo army). Generally anything flagg can do, a pikeman/crossbowman can do better. On the other hand, friars (stealth priests) are worth recruiting, and A9/E9 are very good on Marignon's mages since they're all holy.

I was toying around with the idea of D9B9 blessed flaggalants since they're cheap and easy to produce. Even with an expected death count over 70% in a big battle, the flaggs can really mess up enemy mages with B9 bless and costly melee units with death weapons from D9 bless. Undying also synergizes with Blood Vengeance and doubles the effective HP of the flaggs. I'd imagine most fights will end up costing the enemy nation a lot more than Marignon, even if it's a lost fight. In MP this would be a neat deterrent, since nobody wants to risk fighting a horde of guys with a D9B9 bless - even if they win, it'll come at a pretty high cost.

This is all newbie theorycrafting, though, so feel free to shoot holes in it. :v:

Zagposting fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 3, 2014

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Riftling posted:

I'll try it with 3 Prod, my runs only let me recruit 2 Men at Arms on the first turn, so I definitely didn't have that.

I was toying around with the idea of D9B9 blessed flaggalants since they're cheap and easy to produce. Even with an expected death count over 70% in a big battle, the flaggs can really mess up enemy mages with B9 bless and costly melee units with death weapons from D9 bless. Undying also synergizes with Blood Vengeance and doubles the effective HP of the flaggs. I'd imagine most fights will end up costing the enemy nation a lot more than Marignon, even if it's a lost fight. In MP this would be a neat deterrent, since nobody wants to risk fighting a horde of guys with a D9B9 bless - even if they win, it'll come at a pretty high cost.

This is all newbie theorycrafting, though, so feel free to shoot holes in it. :v:

The main problem with relying on the B9 bless to protect your flags from evo is that there are ways around it if your opponents have the right paths. Mirror image and/or Antimagic will totally ruin your day.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Knights of the Chalice are recruit anywhere in a fort and temple, Nuclear.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

Knights of the Chalice are recruit anywhere in a fort and temple, Nuclear.

Oh I was thinking of mans cap only unicorn mans. I guess that would make them more useful in the long haul but I still wouldn't get a W9 bless for them. I'd rather spend those gold/res on xbows plus support.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I agree. As I said before, E9 and A9 would do well on both mages and the KotC due to negating missiles for the knights and increasing precision for the mages. E9 can also provide more protection plus reinvigoration to reduce both combat and spell fatigue. I think if you were going for either though, mono E9 or A9 would be better.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Riftling posted:

I'll try it with 3 Prod, my runs only let me recruit 2 Men at Arms on the first turn
Were you running Sloth 2 or something?

Marignon's expansion is pretty hard to get off the ground without Production. You can't go Full Crossbows and expect not to maim your pikemen really badly in those classic Dominions "NO YOU loving IDIOTS" moments at the end of a battle, and Flaggelants have disgustingly high attrition, so you can't really use them for as sustained a period of expansion as you'd want.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Help me win with early Agartha thanks.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Play a map that has more than 40% cave frequency.
More seriously, try to level alteration/conjuration and use your engravers and Olms to turbo charge your research.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

boho posted:

Help me win with early Agartha thanks.
Get Great Olms backed up with 11r Pale One Warriors everywhere. They're better Illithids, effectively.

Try that on for size.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 4, 2014

murtidash
Apr 28, 2003
Rawr!
Just signed up for GGS, hopefully someone can approve me. :)

Steam profile:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vh1q8ubtby05y2/Screenshot%202014-01-03%2019.16.14.png

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Wanted to throw my hat into the newbie game ring. I am terrible at this game. Lets be terrible together.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I, too, signed up. I stuck my Steam profile link into the Desura box, but if that doesn't work, http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197996565010/

I'll suck terribly, I'm sure, but it'll be fun!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I was in IRC earlier today and the term toy was mentioned. What does the mean exactly?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It wasn't a term. It was just pointing out that Midgard doesn't really need a pretender, thus one they do have ends up just being a random plaything rather than an integral part of their strategy.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I signed up for goon game thing, though I used my Steam ID instead of Desura link, hopefully that's ok?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tedsternator

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
This game's learning curve really does make baby jesus cry. I thought I'd seen everything after figuring Vicky 2 out.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Toadsmash posted:

This game's learning curve really does make baby jesus cry. I thought I'd seen everything after figuring Vicky 2 out.

In this game every single one of your commanders is looking to betray you on the battlefield at their own peril.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Decrepus posted:

In this game every single one of your commanders is looking to betray you on the battlefield at their own peril.

Gotta defer to the man on the ground sometimes. If he think it's necessary to dump 20 gems and mass enslave on a scout and a couple PD, well, you gotta trust him.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
What is best way to deal with Enslave spam on a SC?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I Love You! posted:

Have high MR. In particular, have 24 or more MR, as that means their dice has to explode twice (1/36 chance) to even have a chance of matching your base MR, then you still get you add your roll to your MR. 19-23 MR stands up to most things, but if you are facing alot of mages spamming enslave one might get lucky. However MR is hard to boost without giving up other stuff, so the best strategy as always is avoidance of concentrations of enslaving mages.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mindless units are immune as far as I'm aware, so a few mindless thugs equipped and scripted to take it down might work.

Golems would be ideal, except they'd just be magic duelled to death.

Maybe GoR something.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

Kill all the mages.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Golems can't be targeted by Magic Duel now.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Really? Then make a parachute regiment of the fuckers and teleport them in!

Of course I was assuming the SC was casting the spell, so I appear to have completely misread the situation. I suppose remote attack spells and assassinations would do a number on any communions.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
How often is this game getting patched? Is it still considered an early release?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Excelsiortothemax posted:

How often is this game getting patched?
Whenever.

quote:

Is it still considered an early release?
No idea. It's very, very playable, since it's basically Domionion 3 Plus Some Stuff Minus A Little Stuff.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Sign me up as well, I still suck horribly but I think it would be fun.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970309124/

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Ok, we have a lot of new guys who will lose horribly. We should start the actual sign up of the game via the online site.

Who wants to host it?

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 6, 2014

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Count me in for the mplayer meatgrinder. I used the GGS link to submit my info, but including it here as well:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198032043364

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 6, 2014

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Can anyone suggest some improvements/improvements for this thug that would involve approximately the same gem expense?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Eight of them with just a frost brand.

If you're playing singleplayer that thing will carve up the AI's chaff hordes no problems, but against humans (and you've covered its name so I guess you're playing humans) that's a huge gemsink liability. Battlemagic will slaughter it as it's got no fire or shock resistance, it's not got the HP for a slugging match, it's not got the MR to stand up to more than a round or two of astral magic, and it can only be in one place at a time.

(Also it doesn't need reinvigoration, Bane Lords are undead and don't accrue combat fatigue)

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I'm in for a MP game if we have a host for sure. I also obsessively take my turns and prefer a blitz style of play if there are other people who like this sort of thing, but am happy to join a long game as well.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Smerdyakov posted:

Can anyone suggest some improvements/improvements for this thug that would involve approximately the same gem expense?

Antimagic amulet. Mind hunt will wreck this guy and you'll lose your ~70 gem investment to a four gem spell.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Microcline posted:

Antimagic amulet. Mind hunt will wreck this guy and you'll lose your ~70 gem investment to a four gem spell.
Alternatively/additionally, bring an S1 caster with and laugh and laugh as your opponent gets a bunch of valuable mages feebleminded. If you have the paths to make a Bane Lord and all that poo poo, you can probably get a Shademail Haubergeon together. Ranger's Boots makes that much safer for 5N gems (or less with a hammer, obviously). AM Amulet is generally useful, though.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Smerdyakov posted:

Remove the armor, boots, trident, helm, and think about removing the ring.

Build the same gemcost in vine shield / fire brand / maybe regen ring + another Bane Lord.

If you are hellbent on full-slots bane lord, Dancing Trident is mostly useless, as are the reinvig boots because undead of this type don't fatigue in melee. I would recommend Antimagic Amulet and either Winged Shoes or Boots of Quickness. If you go with Boots of Quickness then you can probably replace the Horror Helm, maybe with Horned Helm or Starshine Skullcap. Spirit Helmet is also popular if you're up against high-hp guys that don't rout easily, like other thugs/SCs or giants.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

TheDemon posted:

Remove the armor, boots, trident, helm, and think about removing the ring.

Build the same gemcost in vine shield / fire brand / maybe regen ring + another Bane Lord.

Yeah, I can see the quantity argument and it makes sense!

I guess should be more specific and say that I'm trying to build thugs to fight self-buffing enemy ponyman thugs with A/W/D paths--is there in anything in particular to deal with mistform/mirror image and insanely high defense, or is all that covered under the basic "hit them really hard, repeatedly" strategy?

I'd also like to hear anyone's thoughts on how/if it's worth it to kit out a king of elemental earth to take on medium (40-60 guy) enemy armies without much battle magic support.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
What's makes a good thug? High HP and MR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Brands are for clearing chaff and pd. If you're hunting ponymans, try a flesh eater axe or something that hits one person really hard. Or multiple attacks. Those are good for whittling down defense. Two bane lords with half the gear. But I can't imagine that it's easy to catch a ponyman with a thug like that, since they are stealthy and can trapeze around.

• Locked thread