Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

In light of Heyman's "miss-interpretation" "has to learn to spell" is a perfect. Also the funniest one was "Craig James: Possible Hooker Killer".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Spoeank posted:

And Kluwe "Unemployable Redditor" :lol:

This one was my favorite too.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Deadspin is not great at a lot of things but they throw salt with the best of them

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This article wins the Low-Effort Lede Of The Week:

quote:

The rivalry between the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks is about to include a billboard.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!
Oh, hey, I keep coming back to this thread and meaning to read it, and then it gets bumped back to page 2, and I miss it, and oh, crap, it just keeps getting put off. Sorry.

Anyhow, I was catching back up, and I saw this, and ordinarily I wouldn't say anything at all, but this was weird to me, because I read this same NYTimes profile and thought, "This is totally hosed."

Grain of Salt Time x 2:

1. The person who wrote this profile evidently was a London bureau writer forever who just moved to Florida and knew nothing of American sports.
2. I get drinks with Tim Burke and his wife at least once a month, have gone to dozens of baseball games with him (and often with both of them) in the last two years, and this profile is hosed.

I mean, there's the obvious point I could make here—that none of you can gainsay, which I admit sucks from an evidentiary standpoint—that his wife is nuts for him. That profile was written by someone who neither understands deadpan, nor wants to admit sarcasm if it gets in the way of a good "Sperglord Narcissist Neglects Nice Wife" story. But it's shaded badly. They go play shuffleboard weekly. They open their guest room to national and collegiate journalists all the time. They got Rays season tickets and went to about 70 games together. (The extras were sold or given to me; his wife loathes Red Sox fans, so I go to the Red Sox games.) Tim plays in a softball league with journalists from around the area. They had all of them over for Thanksgiving with a 30-person madhouse of festivities. So it's easy, if you're watching, to dispense with the agitated tweaky poo poo.

And then there's just stupid loving self-evident poo poo.

Like, the profile makes a point of mentioning that he's in a dark room all the time. You can tell it's not written by someone familiar with Florida, because they would point out that he lives in a century-old house (which means bad air conditioning, no matter what), that his "control room" is on the second floor (hot air rises) and that the window into his "control room" is full west (meaning he gets direct sun for like six hours of the day). The shades are drawn and it's dark because he's in a poorly air-conditioned room, surrounded by hot monitors and hard drives, with the sun beating into the second story. You have to actively TRY to NOT UNDERSTAND to think that he's making these room or decorating choices because he's got some kind of life-alienating autism.

But, like, general answers:

leokitty posted:

Why use mason jars instead of a pitcher? :confused:
His wife loves collecting mid-century and antique glassware, flatware, etc. They also live in a really old house with a tiny kitchen and other kitchen stuff spaced out. There might be a pitcher. Who knows where it is? It's easier to open the cabinet and grab jars, pour beer or water, and go upstairs. I've done the same. Who gives a poo poo?

AsInHowe posted:

Burke is watching every game, live and simultaneously, and is essentially trying to create instant .gifs before anyone else online. He is basically trying to gather every relevant sports image in the world, as it's happening… It's almost mindboggling that someone could even think up and begin a task like that.
He didn't. It's a longer story than fits here, but basically he ripped a few college football games and discovered that nobody else was providing a database for clips for them. From there, it wasn't hard to notice how many other sporting events didn't have a central agency that collated, clipped and licensed footage. Then you get into stuff like the NFL not releasing footage they don't think flattering enough. Regardless, it just sort of grew, and that slackass profile doesn't mention it.

Two years ago, I assumed he must be just a totally tweaked guy. Maybe some heavy Aspergers case. I figured meeting him would entail nattering about how many buttons and loops were on my clothes. But he's a chill guy. I drive over to his house before ballgames, and we pregame heavily on cocktails and IPAs and take a roadie. I sit in the control room, and he does his poo poo.

The only analogy I can think for it is this: You know how you get MLB Extra Innings and tune in a game, and it turns out that game sucks and has nothing going on, while EVERY OTHER GAME has an amazing 12/6 curve strikeout or a great stolen base or a grand slam? Burke just has that reverse karma. There are two dozen things on screens in front of him, and when I'm looking at the six wrong things, his eye just snatches the cool poo poo. He's just jacked in. I have no explanation. He's just sports-luckier than I am. All the time. Even if we look at the same poo poo. It's not Rain Man; he's just as excited about anything happening as anyone else would be. Probably more so. I don't give a gently caress about certain soccer matches.

MourningView posted:

I don't know what Gawker is paying the guy but it cannot possibly be worth doing that all day long every day.
They pay him a lot. Really.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

What's really amazing is that Gawker hasn't found someone to do exactly what Burke does all day for half his salary.
They've actually put him in charge of hiring people to spell him, and he's given tons of advice. (Which you would normally think is crazy: train your replacement. But that's not how the editors are going to do it, and they're not gonna do him, imo.) One guy's still on and learning the ropes. The first guy didn't like the idea of not having a full weekend to party.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Gawker-style poo poo doesn't exactly open you up to a world of offers
Wow, hurtful.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Holy Diverticulitis posted:

Tim Burke is the man.

I agree. Tim Burke IS the man.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Of course.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Countdown to him dropping an, "all he does is win."

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Allow me to teach you how to Embrace Debate

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Allow me to teach you how to Embrace Debate

If your entire network is predicated on this, then what the hell is your network's mission statement?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The broken bones posted:

If your entire network is predicated on this, then what the hell is your network's mission statement?

Make Money.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

but how does kluwe type with his hands nailed to the cross

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I dunno, other than Kluwe rationalizing his own play nothing in that seems hard to believe at all, and that is pretty typical for a professional athlete (lol punters).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jackie D posted:

I dunno, other than Kluwe rationalizing his own play nothing in that seems hard to believe at all, and that is pretty typical for a professional athlete (lol punters).
Well he'd better have at least one piece of physical evidence that any of that stuff occurred (e-mails, voice messages, reports) because otherwise he's trying to torpedo the careers of two people a year after the fact, and hoping everyone just takes his word for it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I agree that he needs evidence, but what he wrote is very detailed and probably correct considering the general attitude towards gays by NFL locker room culture.

He does admit though that his performance could have been the reason, which hurts his argument. Plus he was coming off of an injury.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I agree that he needs evidence, but what he wrote is very detailed and probably correct...
Probably doesn't really cut it here, especially considering the kinds of accusations he's making toward his former Special Teams coach.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Crazy Ted posted:

Probably doesn't really cut it here, especially considering the kinds of accusations he's making toward his former Special Teams coach.

Why? What damages can the special teams coach prove? You think he's ever going to be able to demonstrate that he's employed/not employed on the basis of his opinions of same sex marriage? What damage has Kluwe caused any of these guys? This is a league that employs rapists, racists and murderers so long as they are good at footballing. Nobody is going to ever be able to say with a straight face, "Sorry dude but you're not coaching solely because you are a terrible human being with terrible opinions on same sex marriage. Otherwise you're amazing."

I don't see how this is any different than an athlete offering a parting shot at a former coach, which happens all the time without legal ramifications.

Kluwe's account of things other than the "I can still punt, guys!" is probably pretty close to the truth, but it really doesn't matter at all.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FairGame posted:

Why? What damages can the special teams coach prove?
I wasn't considering anything from a legal standpoint. I was just considering things from the fact that if Kluwe can't offer up any solid proof that any of this happened it's just going to make him look like a word-happy idiot again.

In his own article he said that NFL organizations aren't inherently homophobic, so if he wanted to he could have taken his parting shot at the Vikings back when he was actually cut and if his punting was as good as he describes it being he still would have received opportunities with other teams, because just as teams employ rapists and murders they'll also employ outspoken Gay Rights advocates if they get results.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Crazy Ted posted:

I wasn't considering anything from a legal standpoint. I was just considering things from the fact that if Kluwe can't offer up any solid proof that any of this happened it's just going to make him look like a word-happy idiot again.

In his own article he said that NFL organizations aren't inherently homophobic, so if he wanted to he could have taken his parting shot at the Vikings back when he was actually cut and if his punting was as good as he describes it being he still would have received opportunities with other teams, because just as teams employ rapists and murders they'll also employ outspoken Gay Rights advocates if they get results.

I don't think we disagree with each other, then. At the end of the article he identifies the reasons he's no longer employed correctly--and erroneously flags his SSM stuff among the other correct reasons. Because a dude can do pretty much anything and still find a job in the NFL if he can play.

I think people are letting their opinions on Kluwe color their perception here. It's entirely possible--likely, even--that the Vikings employ(ed) a bunch of people who behaved exactly as he said, and that Kluwe is kind of an attention whore.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Everything Kluwe writes is one step forward, two steps back. He's championing a worthy cause but he does it in the most obnoxious, self-serving way possible in order to paint himself as a martyr. I would be far more inclined to believe him if everything he wrote wasn't covered in a foot-thick layer of LOOK AT ME EVERYBODY.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Everything Kluwe writes is one step forward, two steps back. He's championing a worthy cause but he does it in the most obnoxious, self-serving way possible in order to paint himself as a martyr. I would be far more inclined to believe him if everything he wrote wasn't covered in a foot-thick layer of LOOK AT ME EVERYBODY.
He also twists things a bit in order to make himself as good as possible. The Vikings were concerned about that letter he wrote to that Maryland politician? I'm sure the team couldn't possibly have been annoyed by the fact that one of their players wrote an open letter to a politician-type from another state that you can Google using two words: lustful cockmonster

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Ultimately, won't this be even easier for the NFL to sweep under the rug than Richie Incognito?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

Ultimately, won't this be even easier for the NFL to sweep under the rug than Richie Incognito?

There's really not much to sweep under the rug. It might hurt Priefer's chances at the job, but his odds were probably already low.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 5m
Trevor Knight mentioned Jesus Christ. Won't be long before the media hates him.

(some columnist for the Miami Herald)

This came up on my timeline via a retweet from a Browns beat guy.

I don't mean to even remotely trot politics into this, but the hell? I've yet to see anyone criticize any athlete for their particular faith.

I mean Tebow was built into some type of icon because of his faith.

Is there any documented proof of any news writer criticizing an athlete for their particular faith?

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 3, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't mean to even remotely trot politics into this, but the hell? I've yet to see anyone criticize any Athlete for their particular faith.

I mean Tebow was built into some Icon because of his faith.

Is there any documented proof of any news writer criticizing an athlete for their particular faith?

Tebow's faith was continually brought up because he supposedly was very expressive about it. Conversely, the only reason I know Jon Kitna is deep into Jesus is because he got fined for wearing a baseball hat that had a small cross on it during a post-game, which is against league rules, evidently.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't mean to even remotely trot politics into this, but the hell? I've yet to see anyone criticize any Athlete for their particular faith.

I mean Tebow was built into some Icon because of his faith.

it makes people here super mad

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Gary Gaetti got a Stern Talking To for wearing "JESUS IS LORD" on the inside of his batting gloves during some 1980s ASG lineup announcement and he waved at the camera with them. I only remember that because that was how he was presented to the fans in 1996 when the new ownership Cardinals acquired him.

Also he was a very ugly man. Owned, though.

Last season the Cards' groundskeepers were putting a tiny cross in the pitcher's mound dirt before games in honor of Stan Musial. They were asked to stop and some fans got Real Mad at Mozeliak for enforcing a club policy of not having religious symbols up.

But no, no athlete is going to get clubbed for being like "yay jesus" or whatever.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FuzzySkinner posted:

I mean Tebow was built into some type of icon because of his faith.

Tebow was built into an icon because a) he wasn't aborted, b) he was a successful college QB, c) someone paid to get an anti-choice Superbowl ad because of a & b.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

ayn rand hand job posted:

Tebow was built into an icon because a) he wasn't aborted, b) he was a successful college QB, c) someone paid to get an anti-choice Superbowl ad because of a & b.

Also his father is a megachurch pastor who has raised him to use athletics for publicity all his life.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mornacale posted:

Also his father is a megachurch pastor who has raised him to use athletics for publicity all his life.

Not to derail too much here but two of Christianity's big tenets are "always be converting" and "glorify Christ in all of your acts" (which ties back to the first one) so while I have no doubt that his father certainly hammered home the whole "you are an icon so use that iconography to promote Jesus" thing, it's also written in his religion.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Declan MacManus posted:

Not to derail too much here but two of Christianity's big tenets are "always be converting" and "glorify Christ in all of your acts" (which ties back to the first one) so while I have no doubt that his father certainly hammered home the whole "you are an icon so use that iconography to promote Jesus" thing, it's also written in his religion.
This is more of a hallmark of this particular brand of evangelical Christianity in general.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

Not to derail too much here but two of Christianity's big tenets are "always be converting"

As you all know, first prize is redeeming yourself through the lord Jesus Christ. Second prize is a brand new Bible. Third prize is you're stoned to death.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

MourningView posted:

Barry Sanders is the reason for the season.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

YodaTFK posted:

Barry Sanders is the reason for the season.

Barry Sanders is:

- a strong Christian, from a very religious family
- a go-to Christian analogy for someone struggling in a situation with bad leadership "do you sometimes feel like you're the only one moving forward in your group, like you're Barry Sanders on the Detroit Lions?"

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Barry Sanders went through more than any man should go through.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MourningView posted:

Our ability to control national narrative is sadly lacking though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Good thing, a hip-hop coach would have been a disaster.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Guess what ESPN did today?

If you said "have a five minute informercial about how great of a QB Tim Tebow really is", you win!

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

Good thing, a hip-hop coach would have been a disaster.

Dallas Morning News immediately retracted apologized hid behind Lou Holtz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Is one of them "married to a white woman"?