Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

epoch. posted:

Is there such a thing as a print of Suspiria that isn't overdubbed? I actually quite like subtitles a lot but voice overdubbing I actively detest. I haven't been able to watch the film despite several attempts because of how distracting it is.

Right now I'm committing the cardinal sin of watching it on a second monitor as I do a little freelance work, and that's actually helping, since I'm constantly reminded of the atrocious lip synching issues. It's like watching a cheap cartoon.

edit: the title track's quiet background screaming sound like the inspiration for Converge's style and :love:

All eurohorror is like this, it's part of it's charm. Learn to love it.

ultraviolence123 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Mayberry St is awesome. It was made for essentially nothing and shot on location in NYC. Seconding that it has great characters/acting and the rat zombies are quite well done. I haven't seen the other two films mentioned but I'll have to track then down

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I did not like Stakeland at all (though Danielle Harris considerably livens it up because her energy is infectious) but I'd like to see Mulberry St.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

epoch. posted:

Is there such a thing as a print of Suspiria that isn't overdubbed? I actually quite like subtitles a lot but voice overdubbing I actively detest. I haven't been able to watch the film despite several attempts because of how distracting it is.

You can watch it in Italian, but it'll still be dubbed. Suspiria, like a lot of Italian movies, wasn't shot in sync sound.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Skunkrocker posted:

I know I catch a lot of flack for loving films like Final Destination and Cube and Ghost in the Machine and other "turn your brain off" gorehound films, but when those films aren't scary they are at the very least entertaining and have great stories.

From who, where and in what dimension?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Cube is a lot more fun when you imagine that all the characters have been shrunk down and are navigating the inner workings of rapper/actor Ice Cube.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

Cube is a lot more fun when you imagine that all the characters have been shrunk down and are navigating the inner workings of rapper/actor Ice Cube.

This is a whole new revelation to this film. Wow.

Has anyone ever seen The Theatre Bizarre?? I watched it and though it was actually really well done and pretty entertaining. Though my favorite anthology film is still Creepshow.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Profondo Rosso posted:

Mayberry St is awesome. It was made for essentially nothing and shot on location in NYC. Seconding that it has great characters/acting and the rat zombies are quite well done. I haven't seen the other two films mentioned but I'll have to track then down

Strong confirm on this badass movie. Correct title is Mulberry St, though.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Xandoom posted:

Has anyone ever seen The Theatre Bizarre?? I watched it and though it was actually really well done and pretty entertaining. Though my favorite anthology film is still Creepshow.

I enjoyed it.

You might also enjoy Little Deaths though maybe not.

Rottenapple
Feb 27, 2006
in fiction
If any of you haven't seen You're Next, do so soon. It's out there now on most VOD platforms I think. It is a perfect combination of low budget horror meets Die Hard with a side of really funny black comedy.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Rottenapple posted:

If any of you haven't seen You're Next, do so soon. It's out there now on most VOD platforms I think. It is a perfect combination of low budget horror meets Die Hard with a side of really funny black comedy.

Literally watching it before I read this post.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, You're Next was one of those movies that was way more fun than it had a right to be.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Xandoom posted:

I haven't seen it, but wikipedia has this hilarious bit of non-relevance:

Wikipedia posted:

Online movie review site, From the Mind of Tatlock had a negative experience, saying "The Theatre Bizarre is 113 minutes too long, the acting is awful, the stories are complete nonsense and boring. This movie was a giant waste of my time."

Not From the Mind of Tatlock! He's America's greatest online film critic that I've never heard of!

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Tom Savini's segment is the worst and his acting doesn't help or the fact that he's obviously Tom Savini.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

From who, where and in what dimension?

I work security for a Halloween themed scifi convention. Seems the horror nerds in my area just don't appreciate gore. They all want "scary" movies. I'm like "You want a scary film? Watch a documentary." Slasher movies and gore films and dead teenager flicks just aren't whats hip anymore, I dunno. :v:

Hey speaking of slasher movies... I've been posting this in the other relevant subforums, why not here?

So I'm a huge fan of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies (if you couldn't tell) and for years have been trying to get together the necessary things to make a screen accurate version of my favorite character's outfit, Mark from Part 5. If you've seen the films, he's the comic book guy, the punk with the skateboard who gets turned into paper and sliced up by Freddy? If you haven't seen the films... why are you in this thread? Go watch them, damnit!

So apparently new high resolution pictures behind the scenes of the films have been released (were these in the bluray collection? Haven't gotten it yet) and have helped me get a great shot of his outfit! I already asked GIP about the patches and got those confirmed. I posted in YLLS about the clothing though and haven't gotten a response, just maybe because they don't know or care? I dunno. I'm trying to find the vest and shirt. I have a workable vest but I'd love to get one just like this, or at least closer to it, or even just know more about the vest in general like the style it's in so I can do better searching online. Also that shirt. I don't even know where to begin with that shirt, I have to imagine they picked it up off a rack at some point and didn't make it just for the film. Even the military patches are real. So I got to imagine that shirt exists SOMEWHERE and SOMEONE has to be selling one, but I don't even know who manufactured it let alone what it's supposed to represent.

Any information on those two fronts, the shirt and vest, would be MUCH appreciated.

There is also the case of his shoes. I can't find any of the scenes in the film where you can get a good shot of his feet. However, I do have a drawing of the paper cutout of Mark from the film. The colors are weird here because the scene was "filmed" in black and white like a comic book, except Mark who was in color and for some reason the creators felt the need to make him bright and vibrant. I like the effect, but it does give the wrong impression on the shoe color here I think. Judging by photos I've seen, they're not orange, or at least not that color orange. To me they seem to be black and white, with white rubber, and they seem like they might be Converse. Are these even Converse shoes or are they knock offs and if they're real, where can I get a pair? This would be the simplest thing to just make myself but I was wondering if anyone had any information at all.

Thanks in advance guys! If any other thread on the forums could understand how much this would mean to me, I couldn't find it.

I'm going to a superhero themed scifi convention in March, so... yeah, I'm going to try to do this as a cosplay and the Phantom Prowler too. That's going to be hard, though, but I want to pull it off. Maybe do Super Freddy or get someone else to do it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Skunkrocker posted:

I work security for a Halloween themed scifi convention. Seems the horror nerds in my area just don't appreciate gore. They all want "scary" movies. I'm like "You want a scary film? Watch a documentary." Slasher movies and gore films and dead teenager flicks just aren't whats hip anymore, I dunno. :v:

I more meant, Cube and Ghost In The Shell being gore films.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Xandoom posted:

I thought it was okay. The only segment that I can really remember now is the one about the witch, "The Mother of Toads". Although I seem to remember Tom Savini torturing someone in there.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I more meant, Cube and Ghost In The Shell being gore films.

Um... Ghost in the Machine. It's a Talalay film, which... you know what you get with her. It's entertaining, but over the top and silly. Not really scary. What it does great is gore, and there is a ton of it. Basically a serial killer gets his soul transferred into pure energy through an MRI machine and now can affect electronics in insane ways. For example, at one point he overdrives a microwave someone is trying to use and cooks the guy. Another point he makes a hair dryer spit flame. It's pretty dumb, but fun and entertaining in that bad kind of way that only Rachel can truly pull off (like Freddy's Dead and Tank Girl)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2HPq-WDnFQ

And maybe the first Cube really shouldn't be seen as a gore film, except maybe the beginning. I wouldn't even say Hypercube was even gory all that much. However, Cube Zero goes way overboard with it and as bad as that film was had some really bitchin' gore scenes. I always end up getting poo poo for liking Cube though because it's, as these people put it, "just a bunch of assholes getting killed for no reason other than the audience's amusement and I never understood your liking for gore movies."

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 3, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Skunkrocker posted:

Um... Ghost in the Machine. It's a Talalay film, which... you know what you get with her. It's entertaining, but over the top and silly. Not really scary. What it does great is gore, and there is a ton of it. Basically a serial killer gets his soul transferred into pure energy through an MRI machine and now can affect electronics in insane ways. For example, at one point he overdrives a microwave someone is trying to use and cooks the guy. Another point he makes a hair dryer spit flame. It's pretty dumb, but fun and entertaining in that bad kind of way that only Rachel can truly pull off (like Freddy's Dead and Tank Girl)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2HPq-WDnFQ

And maybe the first Cube really shouldn't be seen as a gore film, except maybe the beginning. I wouldn't even say Hypercube was even gory all that much. However, Cube Zero goes way overboard with it and as bad as that film was had some really bitchin' gore scenes. I always end up getting poo poo for liking Cube though because it's, as these people put it, "just a bunch of assholes getting killed for no reason other than the audience's amusement and I never understood your liking for gore movies."

I stand corrected.

I remember Ghost In The Machine, even. You've summed it up pretty well.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I thought Cube struck a pretty nice balance between the assholes and the people you really wanted to see pull through it. Better than most slashers can say, where everyone is a jerk and the killer is clearly the hero.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
As opposed to Cube, where the hero ends up being the killer.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I liked in Cube when the dude got cut into little cubes.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Cube 3: Cubed

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'm ashamed the best cut-into-cubes scene has not been mentioned so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8gfGhVL3qs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw the new Paranormal Activity movie this morning. While I'd hesitate to call it a good movie, it's definitely more interesting than all the other movies in the series. It does something different with the concept and doesn't end up feeling like a dull rehash. If you liked any of the others but thought the series was getting stale and needed a reawakening, I'd recommend it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Stranded is a fun, fast, gooey sci-fi/horror thing on Netflix worth checking out. Its greatest strength is its breakneck pacing.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Saw the new Paranormal Activity movie this morning. While I'd hesitate to call it a good movie, it's definitely more interesting than all the other movies in the series. It does something different with the concept and doesn't end up feeling like a dull rehash. If you liked any of the others but thought the series was getting stale and needed a reawakening, I'd recommend it.

I haven't seen a PA film since the first one but thought Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones was OK. There's some references to the main PA series, but I suspect the script was originally a standalone 'supernatural possession' story that the producers decided to link with an established franchise. There's some decent creepy scenes and overall it was fairly entertaining. Not revolutionary but not a disaster either.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Xandoom posted:

Though my favorite anthology film is still Creepshow.

"I can hold my breath for a LOOOOOONNNNG TIME AHAHAHAHAA"

"Tell it to call you Billie!"

Xandoom if you enjoy comics at all you owe it to yourself to find a bound edition of old E.C. (Entertaining Comics I believe) horror comics which Creepshow is an homage to. Tales From The Crypt, Vault of Horror, Haunt of Fear. Really great stuff. The Ted Danson/Leslie Nielsen segment in particular is a classic EC comics type story of ghost revenge.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Zwabu posted:

"I can hold my breath for a LOOOOOONNNNG TIME AHAHAHAHAA"

"Tell it to call you Billie!"

Xandoom if you enjoy comics at all you owe it to yourself to find a bound edition of old E.C. (Entertaining Comics I believe) horror comics which Creepshow is an homage to. Tales From The Crypt, Vault of Horror, Haunt of Fear. Really great stuff. The Ted Danson/Leslie Nielsen segment in particular is a classic EC comics type story of ghost revenge.

I have almost all the House of Mystery comics, but I will check out the other ones, thanks! I love these!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I think they even put out a comic book adaptation of Creepshow, which I thought was pretty cool.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I love it when companies do that. Comics, VHS tapes, etc. Makes it feel a lot more authentic.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I used to read a horror comic called FLINCH that had some good moments.
The hellraiser comics were also good.

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012
Shocker is a bad movie, and a bad psuedo-Nightmare on Elm Street, made all the worse because it was directed by the dude who directed the original Nightmare on Elm Street. I would call it the worse Wes Craven film, but I haven't seen The Hills Have Eyes Part II, which apparently includes a flashback scene from the perspective of a dog.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I'm not sure I agree with you 100% on your critic there, p-zombie.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

P-Zombie posted:

Shocker is a bad movie, and a bad psuedo-Nightmare on Elm Street, made all the worse because it was directed by the dude who directed the original Nightmare on Elm Street. I would call it the worse Wes Craven film, but I haven't seen The Hills Have Eyes Part II, which apparently includes a flashback scene from the perspective of a dog.

Hills 2 is a very, VERY bad movie. However it's not Craven's worst, as that distinction belongs to Vampire in Brooklyn.

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012

schwenz posted:

I'm not sure I agree with you 100% on your critic there, p-zombie.

It's okay, we're all entitled to our opinions, as long as we all know to calmly debate them by fighting on top of the water tower.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Craven has had so many terrible films, it's hard to pick out an absolute worst. I'd say that it's probably a toss-up between Deadly Friend and My Soul to Take.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I finally got to see the 2013 Carrie. I have to say I was impressed. Julianne Moore was incredible. I was really creeped out by her performance. I don't remember a lot of the original but I think this was just better in some way and lacking in others. I'd recommend it for people to check out for a good watch as long as you don't expect the original movie or the book.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Starscream posted:

Hills 2 is a very, VERY bad movie. However it's not Craven's worst, as that distinction belongs to Vampire in Brooklyn.

What do people have against Vampire in Brooklyn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I don't get the love You're Next gets. I thought it was a routine by the books home invasion movie ruined by awful acting, awful camera work and stupid humour. I wished it had been played more straight as the comedy wasn't funny and ruined the tone.
The best thing about it is easily Erin, a pretty kick rear end heroine and the only person in the entire movie who could act. People keep saying it's very violent but I can't remember any of the violent moments.
The camera jerking around was very distracting and made the movie look really cheap. It wasn't throughout the entire film but when it happened it was noticeable.
I don't understand how this is the one critics praised. I've seen a lot of these kinds of movies and the acting in You're Next is worse then you normally find.
I don't hate it, I just find it very average, something that probably could have been better.