Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

an expert posted:

Dude it was weird as gently caress. I was chilling, waiting for my cripple bus, and some guy is like "Oh hey Milo, hows it going?" and I was like "I'm... I'm good, you?" because I am half blind and forgetful as hell, so I thought maybe I knew him from somewhere? We talked briefly, ended on a mutual "Have a happy new year!", then as he was walking away I heard him say to the guy walking with him, "I knew him from the internet" and my mind was blown.

Well. It was a male so clearly it couldn't be someone from PI. Only drunk lesbians here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Your dog really stands out. :3: I think it's kinda cute.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
YOU ARE INTERNET FAMOUS. :swoon: I dunno what I'd do if I saw another PIer in person randomly like that. Depends on who it was, I guess. Some I'd be all "OMFG HAY [NAME] LOL." Some I'd be like "Oh god do I say hi, will that make me weird, what if they don't want to talk to me, what if I'm their least favorite PIer, I don't know oh god." Because these things MATTTER and are V IMPORTANT.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Skizzles posted:

YOU ARE INTERNET FAMOUS. :swoon: I dunno what I'd do if I saw another PIer in person randomly like that. Depends on who it was, I guess. Some I'd be all "OMFG HAY [NAME] LOL." Some I'd be like "Oh god do I say hi, will that make me weird, what if they don't want to talk to me, what if I'm their least favorite PIer, I don't know oh god." Because these things MATTTER and are V IMPORTANT.

I'd better be in that first group. :colbert:

I honestly always wondered about that, too. Especially a few years ago when I used to post Buddy all the time. I feel like I'm too off the radar to get noticed, now, though.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Hah, I'd totally say hi to any of you. Hopefully I wouldn't be creepy about it, I'm a fairly well-adjusted dude. Some of you I would be super-excited to meet hahah.
Am I a creeper now?

Also, I'd likely recognize you all by your dogs - Otis is pretty unique, Peep/Pin/Pittens would be recognizeable, Abby/Monty/Dexter, Eva/Angus, etc. I'm such a nerd :P

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

WolfensteinBag posted:

I'd better be in that first group. :colbert:

Um duh. :colbert: Especially if you had Buddy. :3:

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Some PIer is friends with my horrible ex roommate so I am sure I am infamous rather than famous! gently caress the internet sometimes. Also chihuahuas and their owners.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I have what is quite possibly the weirdest problem ever - my cat won't walk on the carpet. You know how when you were a kid you played that game where the floor was lava? The Idiot is doing that right now. The lino is fine, but the carpet is Instant Death. In the ~18 months that I've had him he has never once jumped up on the counter, but now he's doing it repeatedly to avoid stepping on the floor. He sat on the breadmaker crying until I picked him up and carried him to the door to let him outside, because he couldn't get to the door without stepping on the carpet. loving cat is broken, I swear.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My mom installed a carpet runner on her hardwood staircase and one of our cats did the same thing - she would squeeze into the 2" space on either side of the rug rather than walk on it. Lasted about a month before she finally got over it.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
When Pittens doesn't like something or is scared of it we mock him loudly and laugh at him while he meows pitifully because gently caress cats

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have a cat that really likes to hang out in the closet. I don't get it, she gets all excited when I go in a trajectory toward the closet, such as the bedroom door, or uh, hallway. She'll meow all excitedly, and jump on top of my hamper (unless it's empty then the lid falls in and I get to laugh about a silly kitty).

So, I started just caving in, I'll open the door and say "have fun!" and off she goes. As far as I know she just hangs out and sleeps back there, then about 30 minutes to an hour later she'll come trotting out like nothing happened, and hang out on the back fo the couch.

Cats are weirdos.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There's a mountain of cat poo poo and piss in your closet, just fyi.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bad Munki posted:

There is not, I have checked.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cat's burying it UNDER the carpet.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Bad Munki posted:

No, its just piss, and its the living room carpet.

gently caress I hate my cats sometimes.

Then they barge into the bedroom at 5am when the wife wakes up and come sleep with me, so all is forgiven.

This is the cycle of MEOW

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Pardalis posted:

Some PIer is friends with my horrible ex roommate so I am sure I am infamous rather than famous! gently caress the internet sometimes. Also chihuahuas and their owners.

There are a Metric Fuckton of us in Portland but tbh I think I wouldn't recognize anyone. There's a chance I might recognize Keeper but I would never in a million years feel sure enough ("yep it's fluffy and a dog, sure could be keeper!") to approach anyone.

Also I'm real bad with faces but literally even hanging out on PIFB forever I wouldn't recognize anyone.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

RazorBunny posted:

My mom installed a carpet runner on her hardwood staircase and one of our cats did the same thing - she would squeeze into the 2" space on either side of the rug rather than walk on it. Lasted about a month before she finally got over it.

We've lived in this house since before adopting him. The only thing I can think of is fleas - we've got a pretty bad infestation just now and they're all through the carpet. Maybe he feels them jumping on him?

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit
I've heard of cats developing a phobia of carpet right after they got a claw stuck in it and hurt themselves trying to get it unstuck. Could be something like that. Or who knows because cats are weird.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brillig posted:

I've heard of cats developing a phobia of carpet right after they got a claw stuck in it and hurt themselves trying to get it unstuck. Could be something like that.

My cat got a claw stuck in a metal part of an old chair, and the next day she was messing around under it again. Let me tell you getting that claw out was pretty harrowing, having a cat hissing at you 2 inches from your face isn't nearly as fun as you'd think it would be.

Brillig posted:

Or who knows because cats are weird.

It's most likely this.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Iron Crowned posted:

It's most likely this.

Yeah. This morning he ran face-first, full speed ahead in to the window while fleeing the carpet. loving weird doesn't begin to cover it.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

InEscape posted:

There are a Metric Fuckton of us in Portland but tbh I think I wouldn't recognize anyone. There's a chance I might recognize Keeper but I would never in a million years feel sure enough ("yep it's fluffy and a dog, sure could be keeper!") to approach anyone.

Also I'm real bad with faces but literally even hanging out on PIFB forever I wouldn't recognize anyone.

Y'all need to move to england so I can stalk meet everyone :mad:

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Welp, took my dog Faye into the vet this morning because her appetite hasn't really been the same since Christmas. She would still scarf treats and bones and human food but when it came to her kibble she just turned up her nose. I didn't take her in sooner, because I just thought she was being picky since she got so many treats and human food over the holidays. Her activity level was fine and bouncy as ever, poop was normal, she was drinking fine, no vomiting.

Yesterday my mom noticed her pee was really yellow so I decided in light of that with her decreased kibble appetite to just bring her in and make sure she's okay and I'm right she's just being picky.

This morning I took a urine sample to bring in to the vet (I honestly thought I'd get laughed at for being so paranoid) and yeah...it was pretty dark. Go in right at 9 when they open, vet tech takes vitals (everything normal, no fever) and the urine....20 min later vet comes in and Faye's either got lepto (vaccinated yearly for), hepatitis (vaccinated as puppy for) or some other poison. Her urinalysis was off the charts, she's jaundiced with a yellow tint to her eyes (how the gently caress did I not notice??) and the vet keeps her for extensive bloodwork, IV fluids, an ultrasound, whole 9 miles. I pick her up today in an hour and a half cuz the vet closes early on Saturday (and they'll give me more info then) and I'm just in shock. The vet said we caught it early and thank god I brought in a urine sample but just holy poo poo. This is so beyond the worst case scenario I had that I can't even think. Faye showed no outward sign of being sick beyond the picky eating and her urine color. Everyone was telling me I was overreacting taking her in. I'm pretty sure most dog owners I know wouldn't with such mild symptoms. I didn't make a thread cuz I'll get my info from the vet soon...just gently caress. At least a grand before all is said and done (thank god for savings) right after the holidays, also one of my fish just died earlier. FU LIFE :rant:

moechae fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 4, 2014

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Oh wow, that's awful. I'm so glad you vetted up immediately! Happy new year :smith:

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
Aw crap, I hope Faye is okay.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
The worst part is that I had half a mind to not even take her in today, it's snowing and football and blah blah. It's like going to a doctor with a mild cough and getting results of tuberculosis or something. I didn't notice any other symptoms besides picky eating and dark pee. This is gonna make me loving paranoid for life.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
That's scary, glad you were paranoid.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Thanks for the replies guys. Got Faye back, they left the catheter in in case she stops eating/drinking/starts vomiting, I'll take her to the evet. She's sleeping right now, got a prescription for amoxicillin and SAMe. Right now we're just in mitigation and stabilization mode. Not sure if it's leptospirosis or hepatitis yet, not til next week. She ate her meds with some treats, wouldn't touch the low fat prescription food tho (I assume as long as she's eating, it doesn't matter too much what it is). :( Anyone know anything about this sorta stuff/general liver failure and long term treatment? Vet said she's optimistic and mentioned a medicated diet but didn't want to overwhelm me with too much stuff. Thanks again for letting me just write this all out guys, I still feel crazy overwhelmed and shocked.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The big thing is getting past this first hurdle. With liver damage, the big question is if it sustained too much damage during whatever went on, or if there's a good bit left to do liver things once the body recovers. The hard part is that sometimes you just simply don't know how much liver function is left until you clear out whatever problem is going on and see what happens, so at this point it's great your vet is optimistic, since we are at first hurdle stage. They've probably also seen the liver function tests and like what they see so far.

Long term depends on how much recovery happens. If it ends up not a lot was damaged, there may be a few months of some mild meds and then normalcy. If some was damaged, there might be a particular diet as well as medications. If a lot was damaged, that's something else entirely.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat

HelloSailorSign posted:

The big thing is getting past this first hurdle. With liver damage, the big question is if it sustained too much damage during whatever went on, or if there's a good bit left to do liver things once the body recovers. The hard part is that sometimes you just simply don't know how much liver function is left until you clear out whatever problem is going on and see what happens, so at this point. it's great your vet is optimistic, since we are at first hurdle stage. They've probably also seen the liver function tests and like what they see so far.

Long term depends on how much recovery happens. If it ends up not a lot was damaged, there may be a few months of some mild meds and then normalcy. If some was damaged, there might be a particular diet as well as medications. If a lot was damaged, that's something else entirely.

Thanks. Yeah, vet mentioned an ultrasound some time this coming week to assess damages. For those curious, her blood work was completely normal except ALKP (alkaline phosphate) was 850 U/L (normal is 20-150), ALT (alanine aminotransferase) was 1761 U/L (normal is 10-118) and TBIL (total bilirubin) was 8.4 mg/dL (normal is 0.1-0.6). All three point to liver failure.

Ah well, she's stable and eating a bit and drinking a lot so I guess this point it's just a waiting game. I'll keep people updated if they're curious, once I find out what it is exactly.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

We are definitely curious and rooting for you and your pup. The liver is an amazing organ and it can heal itself to a really startling extent.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Cuteness potential: growing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMu0pC5BFo

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Oh yeah? Well, my pets are well trained too!

Cohen rules and that trick is adorable

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I want to make gifs. How I make gifs?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I love that in the cat one, there's a nice big scratch on the hand, to boot.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Bad Munki posted:

I love that in the cat one, there's a nice big scratch on the hand, to boot.

In fairness, she didn't do that one.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's okay, you're safe here, you can tell the truth.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Cat happens.

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...
Death by bobcat. Fret not, I'm okay dying this way.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, today I learnt that dogs can get the hiccups. And that a hiccuping dog is adorable. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Not when the hiccuping dog is very upset about it, whining between hiccups and runs over to climb in your lap because something terrifying is happening.

• Locked thread