Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Does the iPad disable autocorrect when using a Bluetooth keyboard? Cause that would be neat.

If you've manually input shortcuts under Settings > General > Keyboard*, it will use those, but general autocorrect is disabled when a Bluetooth keyboard is detected.

*If you don't already do this, you should. I have shortcuts set up for stuff I always have to type out, like my address <zzzad or zzzadd, depending on whether I want to include the city/state>; email address <zzzmail>; and phone number <zzznu or zzznum, depending on whether I want to include parentheses and dash>. (Where zzz is just my initials. Edit: Although typing that out makes me realize zzz would probably be easier than my initials...)

I mostly use it on my iPhone, but it's handy for iPad too.

Cranbe fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Logikv9 posted:

Is anybody having crashing problems with the new mini? I've had mine for around two weeks now and it's randomly rebooting/having apps crash more often than I would expect from the newest and greatest. Is something defective or is this just iOS 7 in action?
It's all the 64-bit iOS devices, seemingly, since the iPhone 5s is also having these problems. The 7.1 betas supposedly fix it, though.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

It's all the 64-bit iOS devices, seemingly, since the iPhone 5s is also having these problems. The 7.1 betas supposedly fix it, though.

Not correct, happens to my iPhone 5 as well.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

caboodle posted:

Not correct, happens to my iPhone 5 as well.

My 5 is completely solid. Can't remember the last time an app crashed on that yet I get maybe 2-3 app crashes a day on the Air. Chrome is probably the most annoying one but the tab restore feature means I can't get too frustrated at it since I don't really lose anything.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I only ever really add shortcuts when i want to teach my phone something. Like to make it stop autocorrecting Xenos, for instance. I probably should teach it some shortcuts for useful stuff or to work up a quicker shorthand

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

I haven't had one crash on my air or 5s, but I have had them both fail to show embedded youtube videos on some websites in safari. The space for the vid is there, but it's empty. Youtube links are fine though. Weird.

v:shobon:v

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Roobsa posted:

My 5 is completely solid. Can't remember the last time an app crashed on that yet I get maybe 2-3 app crashes a day on the Air. Chrome is probably the most annoying one but the tab restore feature means I can't get too frustrated at it since I don't really lose anything.

Just to clarify, I'm experiencing spontaneous restarts since iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 & 1st gen iPad mini. This is a iOS 7 issue.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

caboodle posted:

Just to clarify, I'm experiencing spontaneous restarts since iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 & 1st gen iPad mini. This is a iOS 7 issue.

I get them through the night fairly often on my 5S, which is annoying as it kills Sleep Cycle and means I have to enter my password to turn off the secondary alarms rather than using my thumbprint. Wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't a stupidly long passphrase…

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Neurophonic posted:

I get them through the night fairly often on my 5S, which is annoying as it kills Sleep Cycle and means I have to enter my password to turn off the secondary alarms rather than using my thumbprint. Wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't a stupidly long passphrase…

Use a less terrible pass phrase then? Four numbers handles things well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SpookyLizard posted:

Some corporate/university VPN or Exchange policies require complex device pass codes to connect. Not everyone has the option of simple or even no device pass code.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

I'd rather have the extra security and like mentioned, it's partly policy for devices in my company. It's a minor annoyance, and to be fair having to wake up enough to actually type it all in probably isn't too much of a bad thing. It's just odd to see 'your device has restarted' sometimes twice a day when I go to wake my phone.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Ah, okay, I see. I haven't had any crash/reboot bullshit to deal with myself so far, so I guess I should consider myself lucky.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My only resprings have only been when using the app switcher, it seems.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

eddiewalker posted:

Counterpoint: I've gotten surprisingly good at touch-typing on a full-sized iPad if you lay it flat.

I was considering going the Bluetooth keyboard route, but I really want to get comfortable typing on the screen (I am using an iPad air). It would be great to bust out this device at a cafe and machine a few hundred words, but at the moment I'm still very conscious of the keyboard. I'll give it a few weeks and see if I plateau.

I do like the Pages app here much better than on the desktop.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Laying it flat is decent, but a BT keyboard is great if you do a lot of typing.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Haggins posted:

Laying it flat is decent, but a BT keyboard is great if you do a lot of typing.

Which do you recommend?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mein Eyes! posted:

Which do you recommend?

Any Bluetooth keyboard will work done if you're not after a case form factor.

If you are, read this. It's not up to date for the iPad air, but should give you some kind of a clue what to pay attention to as you shop.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Mein Eyes! posted:

Which do you recommend?

The Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard cover is really good, and you can buy them really cheap used--Like New on Amazon--like ~$25.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I have the Logitech and it's fine but not perfect. It acts as a cover but if you're not using it as a keyboard, you have to toss it aside somewhere which is a pain in the rear end. It'd be fine if it folded back on the ipad, but it doesn't. Secondly, it's only held on by magnets, and if you grip it wrong, you'll drop both the ipad and the keyboard.

If I had to do it again, I'd get something by Zagg that acts as a proper case.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Counterpoint: I've gotten surprisingly good at touch-typing on a full-sized iPad if you lay it flat.

The sales I work in has us using iPads exclusively, and I've become king of 2 thumb typing with the iPad (landscape too). Not sure why, but it works for me.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
For the Mini, two thumb typing with split keyboard in portrait is ideal.

I'd imagine that on the full size iPad, split keyboard in landscape is probably your best bet if you're going to do that.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I've been enjoying a ZAGGkeys Cover on my Air going on a month now. It's clam-style and balances nicely either on a table or in your lap - pretty much just turns your iPad into a netbook. I've never had to charge the thing so far, with regular use. Bluetooth keyboard is much better than screen typing, in my opinion. Physical keys are a lot more gentle to my fingertips over extended writing sessions, but maybe that's just my fault for being an overly-forceful screen tapper.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

So I don't know if you've heard the iPad Pro rumors of a 12 inch tablet, but Samsung has officially announced one :
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/01/who-wants-a-12-inch-tablet-samsung-apparently-thinks-someone-does/

Honestly I love how the mere whiff of anything apple might do is being preemptively announced/released by Samsung. The Gear was an interesting example.

To be fair, I don't know if Im giving too much credit to Apple here, or if Samsung is just more willing to explore new markets, or if they move so loving fast that 3-6 months after something is rumored by Apple they have a half assed similar product on shelves right before Apple usually releases iPads. It's just interesting.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
That's pretty big. Even when the apple rumors started up I didn't really buy it. I won't write it off entirely until I at least try one in a store though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don Tacorleone posted:

So I don't know if you've heard the iPad Pro rumors of a 12 inch tablet, but Samsung has officially announced one :
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/01/who-wants-a-12-inch-tablet-samsung-apparently-thinks-someone-does/

Honestly I love how the mere whiff of anything apple might do is being preemptively announced/released by Samsung. The Gear was an interesting example.

To be fair, I don't know if Im giving too much credit to Apple here, or if Samsung is just more willing to explore new markets, or if they move so loving fast that 3-6 months after something is rumored by Apple they have a half assed similar product on shelves right before Apple usually releases iPads. It's just interesting.

Well if the iPad Pro does come out Samsung is probably the ones making their displays anyway. So it shouldn't be that much more work for Samsung to make a device around it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

serebralassazin posted:

That's pretty big. Even when the apple rumors started up I didn't really buy it. I won't write it off entirely until I at least try one in a store though.

I guess Fox News was ahead of us all

http://imgur.com/3EPqXq2

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Since my iPad is a carry in a bag/pull out when I have a bit of time to kill device, I would upgrade to a 12 inch if they made one. I assume it wouldn't be an issue, but my only concern is if I can put it on a tray table when flying coach. Watching TV/Movies with an iPad on a long flight is the best thing ever.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Never had any trouble with a 13" MacBook Air on even the crappiest of regional jets, so I can't imagine a 12" iPad being problematic in that use case.

Still seems too big for things that aren't just propping it up for movies, though. While the Air is so much lighter than last year's model, the Retina Mini really seems to hit the portability sweet spot without compromising on the amount of information that can be presented on the screen.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Lighter is better but I'm fine with the iPad 4 for reading books and what not. If its heavier than a 4, that might be a deal killer.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Posted this in the OS X thread but its equally relevant here too.

I can't believe how easy this was.

Using 10.8. Should work the same on 10.9.

code:
cd /Library/WebServer/Documents/
sudo mkdir old
sudo mov * old
sudo ln -s /Volumes/Media/ Media
sudo apachectl start
Of course this line:

sudo ln -s /Volumes/Torrents/ files

Will vary from user to user, machine to machine.

But basically now I can playback all my idevice supported files mov, mp4,mp3,aac streamed over HTTP from my Mac without syncing and files are ready as soon as they are dropped/downloaded into the source dir. Because I hate syncing videos I'm only going to watch once.

I can actually log into Transmission web interface from my idevice, start a torrent and watch that torrent on my idevice without opening itunes or interacting with OS X on the Mac.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I mentioned the same thing in the other thread, but that seems like a lot more work than just having your downloads go into a shared folder that nPlayer or AVPlayer can access directly.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

eddiewalker posted:

I mentioned the same thing in the other thread, but that seems like a lot more work than just having your downloads go into a shared folder that nPlayer or AVPlayer can access directly.

I'll have to check those 2 players out. Thanks.

BTW, do either of them support h264 mkv with subs? Thats usually the killer.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
AVplayer has subtitle settings, but I don't have any files to test with. I don't own nPlayer but it has a similar feature set (so I assume it does subs, but can't confirm) and seems to support more kinds of network shares so that might be more your appropriate for your current use. MKV containers aren't a problem for either.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I have nPlayer and can confirm it has a bunch of sub settings, but similarly have nothing to test with. Supports playing random formats and has a bunch of options to mess with if you're into that, I was fine with most of the defaults but liked being able to tweak some particular features.

It doesn't have a web browser though. It has "direct streaming URL" so as a clunky workaround you should be able to browse your files in Safari, copy a link, watch in nPlayer. Maybe ask the devs to include a browser or "HTTP directory" option or something. Alternatively you could stream over FTP or SMB instead.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Haggins posted:

Lighter is better but I'm fine with the iPad 4 for reading books and what not. If its heavier than a 4, that might be a deal killer.

I've been wanting a bigger iPad for quite some time and judging by the tremendous weight reduction in Apple's current tablets it's likely to weigh less than my 3rd gen iPad. :swoon:

For those of us who like big tablets and small portable phones this is exciting.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Is there a consensus best case for protecting an iPad Mini? I got one for my kids. I'm very aware of when and where they're using it, but for $350 I think some added precaution would be wise, haha.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Is there a consensus best case for protecting an iPad Mini? I got one for my kids. I'm very aware of when and where they're using it, but for $350 I think some added precaution would be wise, haha.

Applecare + is the best protection

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

My mom swears by her Lifeproof case, but it's gigantic and expensive. I think whatever warranty they offer with the case has a ton of fine print.

The first one she bought from Amazon was an impressive counterfeit that was difficult to get a refund on, so uh, avoid that?

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

I have an Otterbox case on my Air and it's amazing. It's already survived a 4~ft drop. I personally think they're some of the better looking cases around too. They do add bulk though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is the kindle app the only way I can read kindle books on my ipad?

I use goodreader a lot for my PDFs. Would this also be the app of choice if I want to read books on my new retina mini?