Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I'm using 1weather. Has everything you need from a weather app and looks cool imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
BeWeather is my favorite weather app. It's gorgeous, has customizable weather notifications (so "river flood warning" doesn't go off every hour during the spring/summer), has tons of customizable widgets, and it's always been stable and reliable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Here's some samples of WeatherBug Elite in action

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Ok, after playing around with Swype I can honestly say that SwiftKey handles bilingual much better. So back to ugly themes I guess.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does Swype still force you to use that dumb Dragon voice input instead of the far superior Google version? That's why I uninstalled it.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

LastInLine posted:

As Vykk.Draygo said, don't use a task killer, don't use battery saving apps, and to add one more, don't put apps on the SD card.

Thanks for the replies, but I'm doing none of that nonsense. There was some goofy "Power Saving Mode" enabled in the system settings which I turned off, but Beautiful Widgets is telling me right now that it's 12:29 and 97% battery, neither which are true.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I agree. I don't see where it makes any sense at all. I mean, Bitspin makes made good apps, but only because they kept to Android UI guidelines and didn't clutter the settings with every edge case shouted at them from the Play Store comments.

Another weird thing is that it's not like they were making complicated apps or something...they're not getting some awesome algorithms or great minds out of the purchase. They're getting people who made apps that were just a few steps removed from a Hello World app (albeit, they were pretty good apps).

I don't want to discount the skills of UI designers, but to buy a company to get some good UI designers seems really odd.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tunga posted:

Does Swype still force you to use that dumb Dragon voice input instead of the far superior Google version? That's why I uninstalled it.

Yes. It's a big part of why I install Swype every couple of months to see if I'll love it as much as I used to then almost immediately uninstall it. I actually decided to install it again today, but I'm just going to keep it for when the mood to use it strikes.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
What are you guys using for an snes gamepad? the touch controls are just not doing it for me.

I have an LG Optimus L9 running Android

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Is there an app that would automatically change my wallpaper whenever I switch to landscape and then switch back to the default wallpaper when I go back to portrait?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

chiz posted:

What are you guys using for an snes gamepad? the touch controls are just not doing it for me.

I have an LG Optimus L9 running Android

I have a moga pocket controller that I got for free. It works and is easy to put into your pocket, but it doesn't have a d-pad and requires 2 AAA batteries.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Disharmony posted:

Is there an app that would automatically change my wallpaper whenever I switch to landscape and then switch back to the default wallpaper when I go back to portrait?

Not that I'd know how but I'm pretty sure Tasker just told me it could do that.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Bunk Rogers posted:

Not that I'd know how but I'm pretty sure Tasker just told me it could do that.

Yep, I just tried it and it's very simple.

Create a new profile.
Display -> Orientation -> Landscape
New task within the profile
Display -> Set wallpaper -> click the magnifying glass icon and choose your image.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
That worked indeed! Awesome!

When I go on landscape mode though, it adds a Google Now and microphone icon at the left. How do I remove those?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

bunky posted:

Thanks for the replies, but I'm doing none of that nonsense. There was some goofy "Power Saving Mode" enabled in the system settings which I turned off, but Beautiful Widgets is telling me right now that it's 12:29 and 97% battery, neither which are true.

Beautiful Widgets is a piece of poo poo. It used to randomly decide to turn my cpu usage up to 100%, so I greenified its dumb rear end, and restricted what it could do through app ops. When I installed Next Launcher, it started doing what you're describing. I took it off the greenify list, but kept it restricted in app ops.

At one point I deleted and re-added the homescreen widget, and it automatically refreshes now for the most part. Sometimes I have to go in and refresh the weather manually, but that's rare. You might want to try deleting and re-adding, then refreshing the weather inside the app itself.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mooktastical posted:

Beautiful Widgets is a piece of poo poo. It used to randomly decide to turn my cpu usage up to 100%, so I greenified its dumb rear end, and restricted what it could do through app ops. When I installed Next Launcher, it started doing what you're describing. I took it off the greenify list, but kept it restricted in app ops.

At one point I deleted and re-added the homescreen widget, and it automatically refreshes now for the most part. Sometimes I have to go in and refresh the weather manually, but that's rare. You might want to try deleting and re-adding, then refreshing the weather inside the app itself.
I haven't had this problem since Froyo. While I haven't kept a BW home widget for about a year my wife still uses one and it works perfectly. There's nothing wrong with the app, it's something wrong with the OS or the launcher or something external to the app.

bunky, if you put some other updating widget on the home screen, does the same thing happen? Like let's say you threw on DashClock or something else, would it fail to update?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Any Aussies who know of decent weather apps that pull from the Bureau of Meteorology instead of third parties?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

edit: moved post into ereader thread.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 5, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Stan Taylor posted:

Is there a goon consensus on the best weather app? AccuWeather is on sale right now. I'd want one with decent widgets and a radar view.

DashClock + Yahoo Weather

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Anyone know why AudioOut_2 is raping the poo poo out of my battery?

The internet seems to think it's because of some app called "Viber" that I've never used.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 5, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

DashClock + Yahoo Weather

I found Yahoo weather liked to hammer location services on every device I installed it on. Awake time on my Nexus 7 while idle dropped by about half when I uninstalled it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

The internet seems to think it's because of some app called "Viber" that I've never used.

Some games hold the audio channel open. Have you been playing any? When you adjust the volume does it show the ringtone icon or the speaker icon? Is there a game in your recent apps?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AnimalChin posted:

One of your apps is keeping a media stream open after you close it. It could be anything that plays sounds but probably either an audio player or a game.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Some games hold the audio channel open. Have you been playing any? When you adjust the volume does it show the ringtone icon or the speaker icon? Is there a game in your recent apps?

Just Hay Day, but I always do a "close all" after playing via the recent apps menu that pops up after holding the home button for a second.

Adjusting the volume gives me the ringer icon.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Do you listen to any music? And why do you think that's hurting your battery? What does the battery usage graph show? Wakelocks can be a sign of something running when it shouldn't, and they stop your phone from dropping to a low power idle state, but 20 mins of unwanted awake time shouldn't make a big impact

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bull3964 posted:

I found Yahoo weather liked to hammer location services on every device I installed it on. Awake time on my Nexus 7 while idle dropped by about half when I uninstalled it.

That's weird. I've never once seen it do anything wonky on my 5 or 7. I'll keep an eye out though, I'd be sad to lose it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm in the market for a new SMS app. I've been using Hancent, not because I love it, but because it was one of the leading choices a few years back and I was OK with it. Now there's a feature I want that it doesn't have - I want to set not only ringtone but also ring behavior on a default and a per-contact basis. I get texts for work periodically, sometimes from unknown people, and so I want the default behavior to be to ring and keep ringing indefinitely until I answer. I also have friends who text for any reason or none, and for them, I want to be able to change it to ring once and then shut up. Handcent only lets me change tones; ring frequency and such are global settings, and that's not enough anymore. I don't really care about MMS and group texts, I just want that one notification behavior. Anyone have a suggestion?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'm in the market for a new SMS app. I've been using Hancent, not because I love it, but because it was one of the leading choices a few years back and I was OK with it. Now there's a feature I want that it doesn't have - I want to set not only ringtone but also ring behavior on a default and a per-contact basis. I get texts for work periodically, sometimes from unknown people, and so I want the default behavior to be to ring and keep ringing indefinitely until I answer. I also have friends who text for any reason or none, and for them, I want to be able to change it to ring once and then shut up. Handcent only lets me change tones; ring frequency and such are global settings, and that's not enough anymore. I don't really care about MMS and group texts, I just want that one notification behavior. Anyone have a suggestion?

Textra does 99% of that. The only thing is doesn't do is ring indefinitely. It gives you the option to repeat up to 10 times. You can also change the vibrate pattern/notification icon/led color individually.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

LastInLine posted:

bunky, if you put some other updating widget on the home screen, does the same thing happen? Like let's say you threw on DashClock or something else, would it fail to update?

I took this at 2:44pm.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

LastInLine posted:

There's no rumor, that's just when the next Android is "due". They've also talked publicly about slowing down the release schedule so who knows, maybe I/O won't have any Android version bump at all.
They've talked about this for almost two years. I didn't see it slowing. Maybe internally, they've been holding back some big changes, until there's enough to push them out all at once.

Anyhow, I don't see a Google IO happening, where there isn't going to be a new Android software release. If there's a time to release groundbreaking stuff, it's at Google IO and not the Nexus device release half a year later. Given that the only thing in mobile space right now is bigger batteries, while 64bit on Android is still a while off (in terms of SoC availability from manufacturers), if they want to slow down, they'll ax the next Nexus in 2014 and move it forward to Google IO 2015, ditching the fall release cycle.

Also, ART seems pretty stable for being prerelease. It doesn't seem wildly unreasonable of them being bugfixing it to production state for Google IO, and general release shortly thereafter. If you're going to change a runtime, there'll always be broken apps. And if you're all about rewriting the runtime, you won't introduce crutches all over it for rare corner cases and sloppy programming from third parties.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bunky posted:

I took this at 2:44pm.

Well you know it's not a Beautiful Widgets issue then. Is your launcher not staying in memory? Are you on a Samsung and maybe using that kill all feature to close apps? I think that would kill the launcher which obviously stops the widgets.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah, my first thought is something that's loving with services and stopping the widgets from getting calls to update with the current time. If there's no turbo button fuckery apps running it might be worth a backup and factory reset

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

MikeJF posted:

Any Aussies who know of decent weather apps that pull from the Bureau of Meteorology instead of third parties?
Pocket weather has always been the standard for me, it is by the same guys who make PocketCasts:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.shiftyjelly.android.pocketweatherau

They iOS version just had a huge UI update and they are beta testing the Android update. It should be a free update (it was for iOS) but I'm not 100% sure.

Gets the rain radar from the BOM as well.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Well you know it's not a Beautiful Widgets issue then. Is your launcher not staying in memory? Are you on a Samsung and maybe using that kill all feature to close apps? I think that would kill the launcher which obviously stops the widgets.

Yeah, it's a Note 3 and I use that kill all button on the reg. Apex is set to stay in the memory.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bunky posted:

Yeah, it's a Note 3 and I use that kill all button on the reg. Apex is set to stay in the memory.
Yeah that button is a Samsung "improvement" to Android that completely breaks Android. Never ever use it.

Edit: This, by the way, is how you know Samsung makes poo poo products. They have a superfluous menu button which does nothing, won't add an app switcher button that would do exactly what you want, and actually add "features" that not only don't work but actively break other apps.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 6, 2014

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Is there a way through a combo of tasker/timely/something else that I can set my phone to automatically download the most current episode of a podcast, say, Tech News Today, and use it as my wakeup tone every morning?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Yeah that button is a Samsung "improvement" to Android that completely breaks Android. Never ever use it.

Edit: This, by the way, is how you know Samsung makes poo poo products. They have a superfluous menu button which does nothing, won't add an app switcher button that would do exactly what you want, and actually add "features" that not only don't work but actively break other apps.

I'm really confused by this.

I use my menu button all the time and my home button works great as an app switcher.

How does the close all button "completely break" Android?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

AnimalChin posted:

I use my menu button all the time and my home button works great as an app switcher.

Because it closes apps that need to stay alive to function properly in the background. It goes against the very inner workings of Android's multitasking system.

I doubt you use your menu button "all the time" considering my phone doesn't even have one and I haven't had any issues.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

AnimalChin posted:

The "close all" button is what broke those clock widgets. It kills things indiscriminately and causes problems like broken widgets and missing notifications. The menu button is also stupid because by being there it hides on-screen menu buttons which will show up in place and with context. With the current implementation you have no idea what the menu button will do or if it will do anything at all, plus it replaces the much more useful task switcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Stan Taylor posted:

Is there a goon consensus on the best weather app? AccuWeather is on sale right now. I'd want one with decent widgets and a radar view.

I really like BeWeather. It's got several widget styles and a great radar. I didn't like the AccuWeather one because it seemed like the radar was always 15-20 minutes out of date, even right after a refresh.

• Locked thread