Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Dehry posted:

Nothing from maxing levels or jobs. Not even a "There are more jobs in the full game!!!" message.
I think the fact that 60% of the job wheel is blanked out should basically be your "there's more jobs in the full game!!!" message :colbert:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are there any hidden item packs? I heard you get one from maxing out the town, do you get one for maxing out all jobs as well?
There's just the seven; playing the game, maxing out the town, and the rest from the "storyline".

Suaimhneas posted:

Light armour which has more defence but no stat boosts. The amount of defence on this tends to be less than what a knight would get from heavy armour, but more than what a mage would get from the same heavy armour.

The game doesn't make any distinction between the two types of light armour, so make sure to examine the properties of armour besides the defence and decide whether you want your casters to be better at casting or better at surviving.
Yeah, I have been checking armor, I'm just kinda confused as to why a "2 Defense" light armor gives 3 and a "3 Defense" light armor gives 5 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Terper posted:

Note, however, that if you use optimise, the game will always go for whatever deals the most damage or gives the highest defense. So if you have an Ice Sword in Fire Land, the game will put on the Slightly Stronger Sword, even if you'd deal more damage when counting weakness. Just the same, if a robe gives +10 magic attack, if another robe gives higher defense, the game will put on that one.

Yes. It will also insist on putting shields on your mages, even if you might rather have them using two rods for more damage.

Edit: ^^ That's a good question, I'm honestly not sure about that. I hadn't actually noticed it, but I just checked and the 24 Def armour all my characters are wearing right now gives them 43 Def for some reason.

They're all different jobs and levels (ranger 3, black mage 5, red mage 6, thief 7), so it doesn't seem like those things affect it. I changed Edea to a knight just to see if that made any difference, but nope.

Just to be clear, this is armour with no proficiency attached to it.

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 4, 2014

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Suaimhneas posted:

Yes. It will also insist on putting shields on your mages, even if you might rather have them using two rods for more damage.

Edit: ^^ That's a good question, I'm honestly not sure about that. I hadn't actually noticed it, but I just checked and the 24 Def armour all my characters are wearing right now gives them 43 Def for some reason.

They're all different jobs and levels (ranger 3, black mage 5, red mage 6, thief 7), so it doesn't seem like those things affect it. I changed Edea to a knight just to see if that made any difference, but nope.

Just to be clear, this is armour with no proficiency attached to it.

Maybe AGL or DEX also factor into the final defense stat, with bonuses to light armor and penalties to heavy?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The AR card function in the demo really doesn't work all that well. I know only the Agnes card works, but even then it seems to expect you to be in a well lit room with lots of space to get it to display properly.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Folt The Bolt posted:

EDIT: And I did it! There shouldn't be much that can stand against me now.

Wait til you find the secret boss (assuming they've not nerfed it from the original release) - I could take down the true final boss with ease but the secret boss chewed me up and spat me out.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

maketakunai posted:

There's some kind of base modifier on light armor though, it seems. For example, this Feather Hat (3 Def) gives everyone 5 Defense. However, this 5 Def Helm still gives my Black Mage (E-Rank) 5 Defense (though it gives my A-Rank Valkyrie 9 Def). A 1-Def Hat gives 1 Defense, a 2-Def Hat gives 3 Defense.. :confused:

Heavy armor, helms, and shields, follow the same rules as weapons regarding proficiency bonuses. So a Helm with 5 Def would give 5 Def if E Rank, but double that if S Rank.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How does 3DS friending work, do people get a notification that I've added them or do I need to just hope that they see my post and add me back? I've added like 30 people from this thread and only got four hits back.

I'm 1650-2509-7485 if it's the second one.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

How does 3DS friending work, do people get a notification that I've added them or do I need to just hope that they see my post and add me back? I've added like 30 people from this thread and only got four hits back.

The second one.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning

Pierson posted:

Added you and everyone back to about page 14.
Mine is 4785-6004-4019
The game only lets you import 20 of your friends anyway I think.

I love abilink and use it on all my dudes, but I'm tending to avoid using summon friend as it's often way too strong, though I did use it to destroy the merchant boss and his annoying pg toss attack that seems to ignore p. def.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Amazon has a 'signup to be notified when this item becomes available' listing for the Collector's Edition. I assume that means they're sold out and it probably won't be restocked? I want those AR cards :(

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Gyoru posted:

Here's how to cap out on 20 villagers in the demo without using Streetpass at all:

loving thank you.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Is there any reason not to get the 20 villagers to import to the full game?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mcpringles posted:

Is there any reason not to get the 20 villagers to import to the full game?

Nope. Do it because it'll give you a big head-start on getting Norende up and running.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

So, I'm just getting around to playing the demo now, and every fight I seem to get my poo poo wrecked. Should I be getting murdered easily in the cave to the West if my characters are Lv 1 or 2? Do I need to grind? Have I bought lovely equipment?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
You can actually go well beyond 20 but there's no need really, you can only transfer 20 and 20 is more then enough to get everything in the Demo done within a reasonable time frame.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
If I've got all the play bonuses and I want to do that trick to get up to 20 villagers, I don't have to delete anything, right? Just start a new file?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

irlZaphod posted:

So, I'm just getting around to playing the demo now, and every fight I seem to get my poo poo wrecked. Should I be getting murdered easily in the cave to the West if my characters are Lv 1 or 2? Do I need to grind? Have I bought lovely equipment?

Don't immediately head to the cave, level up a bit in the desert near the town and try to get a feel for the jobs and abilities you're using.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

Yea the game expects you to fight out in the field and do the field related quests when you first start. you're getting a bit ahead of yourself, though I'd imagine it would be possible to survive with the base classes if you knew what you were doing.

Just do the field quests.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, finished everything I can think of in the demo, and now I'm crazy hyped up for February.

Battle system rules. More for bosses than trash monsters, but it gives them all a bit of a personality too.

Looking like the full game's job system is a better version of the one in FFV. Which is like my favourite FF game.

Also I'm a sucker, but after the Dragon where they break the fourth wall was pretty cute. :3:

And the design of that town, I love it. :swoon: Really like the art design in general. For everything Four Heroes of Light did wrong, it was good at that. This game looks to be actually good as well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Am I alone in feeling like the heavier MP using classes kind of feel like dead weight a lot of the time? Not that their spells aren't effective, but if I use them in regular fights I run dry really quickly, so I end up just beaning people for 10 damage with them on the way to a boss to save MP. I know they're going for a throwback to the older games, but MP is being handled in a way here that the genre should have outgrown. Also they should let you cast white magic with any character in the out of battle menu without needing that character to be a white mage, since there's nothing stopping you from switching jobs on that character, casting the heals, and switching back. It's nothing you can't already do but would have just saved time.

Also do job levels affect a character's damage in that job? I just switched Agnes to a valkyrie and the numbers she was putting out were way, way below Edea's or Ringabel's when they were higher level valkyries. All characters are the same level and had the same equipment.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Yes, being in a job gives you boosts to specific stats, and those boosts scale with job level. I'm pretty sure the number of times a character hits with an attack goes up with their job level too. So if you switch a character from being high level in one job to low level in another then their damage output will take a hit. For this reason it's a good idea not to switch everyone to different jobs at the same time when you pick up new ones. Also probably best to have high job levels when you fight a boss, even if you do want that big chunk of JP for whatever other jobs you're trying to level up at the time.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

chumbler posted:

Am I alone in feeling like the heavier MP using classes kind of feel like dead weight a lot of the time? Not that their spells aren't effective, but if I use them in regular fights I run dry really quickly, so I end up just beaning people for 10 damage with them on the way to a boss to save MP. I know they're going for a throwback to the older games, but MP is being handled in a way here that the genre should have outgrown.
In the demo whenever I'd run low on MP, I'd just cut Encounter Rate down to -100% and run back to the Inn. It looks like there's ways around huge mana costs in the full game, such as Swordmaster 14's "For 2 turns, there's no mana cost" or Red Mage 8's passive "Black/White/Time/Summon Magic costs 25% less MP" or 5's passive "While under 20% HP, MP cost is 0", though much of that isn't available for a large chunk of the game probably.

I looked at the (spoilers) full job/skill list on the FF Wiki and went giddy at a lot of it. Freelancer 14 :swoon:

chumbler posted:

Also they should let you cast white magic with any character in the out of battle menu without needing that character to be a white mage, since there's nothing stopping you from switching jobs on that character, casting the heals, and switching back. It's nothing you can't already do but would have just saved time.
Yeah, this really bothers me too. :(

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 5, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Whenever I'm down to around half MP, I just use the staff special ability Rejuvenation with MP Recovery level 5 slotted in it, and I'm back up to full again. And all it takes is casting 10 healing spells and it's ready to use again!

So yeah, MP's not much of a problem in the full game, once you've rebuilt enough of Norende to get the better special move parts.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Adamantoise is kicking my rear end. What weapons work best against him? Oddly enough it seems like Oaken Poles and Maces were the only things doing decent damage.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
My valkyrie was the only one doing good physical damage. That was probably because of pierce though. Blizzard spells are still your best bet.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Harlock posted:

The Adamantoise is kicking my rear end. What weapons work best against him? Oddly enough it seems like Oaken Poles and Maces were the only things doing decent damage.
The strategy for that boss is to go in with all black mages with ninja skills equipped. Defualt until the boss braves. Then have everyone breve through all their bp. Have them use Utsusemi, then Blizzard or Blizzaga for the rest of their moves. If Adamantoise has reflect up, just keep defaulting till it goes down, and then brave when you have the chance. If you need to heal and don't have any potions, you'll be fine bringing in a white mage with Utsusemi to act as a dedicated healer.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
He's also susceptible to Poison

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Finished the demo today.

My life is now empty. The US release is over a month away. :negative:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sforzacio posted:

Finished the demo today.

:(:respek::( I finished the main game this morning and my final building finished a few minutes ago. I had almost no interest in the game but after playing it I want ten copies. The hard part will be keeping my wallet away from the special edition. I don't need a soundtrack or AR cards and probably won't even use it.

Also, I found a site with all the AR cards, not just the 6 on nintendo.com
http://ar.essh.co/decks/bravely-default

Eddain
May 6, 2007

sforzacio posted:

Finished the demo today.

Yeah I feel the same way, that demo felt really refreshing to me. Classic FF with modern elements.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
What is the point to turning off pg or exp or jp gain individually? Does it funnel those into the things you *are* gaining, or is it just for masochists?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't funnel. It's all about artificial difficulty.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Turning off EXP allows you to grind up jobs without ending up at level 99 or whatever so you can get cool skills without being too hilariously overpowered to use them.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Mo0 posted:

What is the point to turning off pg or exp or jp gain individually? Does it funnel those into the things you *are* gaining, or is it just for masochists?

Legit level 1 playthrough?

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
I've switched off xp gain when I feel like opening up a few more skill options without outpacing the content. You could argue it's grinding all the same, but I find it way more rewarding to get past a tough fight with proper skill usage than brute force.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Someone who's played the full game give it to me straight, is there a Blue Mage job?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This demo is pretty drat fun but I feel like I'm wasting my time if all the job grinding doesn't carry over.

I'm getting this game for sure though.

Edit: how is this game NOT called final fantasy.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 5, 2014

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Brother Entropy posted:

Someone who's played the full game give it to me straight, is there a Blue Mage job?

It isn't called Blue Mage, but yes, something along those lines exists.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Brother Entropy posted:

I haven't played the full game so I can't answer all your questions but it sure looks like it! Although it's optional and not called "Blue Mage" or anything similar to that.

If you want more details, hover over for spoilers: The class is named Vampire and Blue Magic is called Genome Abilities!

vvv No idea :toot:

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007

maketakunai posted:

I haven't played the full game so I can't answer all your questions but it sure looks like it! Although it's optional and not called "Blue Mage" or anything similar to that.

If you want more details, hover over for spoilers: The class is named Vampire and Blue Magic is called Genome Abilities!

Isn't that pretty much endgame?

• Locked thread