Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I love how these Olde Timey comics always go out of their way to explain what's going on. The whole "plot" is in the title, then every character says what they're doing as they're doing it in drawn-out detail.
Wait, there's dialogue in that? :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Ah :allears: The scripting program makes it so each they can just churn out any poo poo they can think of, and it'll of course become a blockbuster hit. Is that how they write the comic as well? :v:

Moomin and the Martians

" Dangerous machines should always be hidden under the bed. "

SubNat fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 4, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (August 2-4, 1926)

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

7lip posted:

It isn't in my local paper, and driving to a different city every morning to see if their paper has it doesn't appeal to me; thanks for the suggestion though!

Today's Sally Forth. Or you can read it on the Seattle PI website if you prefer. Or in the Houston Chronicle. Who reads comics in an actual printed newspaper?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Good stuff m'sieur.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Tiggum posted:

Who reads comics in an actual printed newspaper?

7lip, apparently.

Thorn (August 16 and 19, 1983)

Nina's Adventures (December 6, 1993)

Just a reminder, Nina started "Fluff" about 5 years after this strip appeared.

Lucky Cow (February 9-11, 2004)

Given the fast food workers strike going on across the country...

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

So they actually have all that stuff in the house but Gil's mom won't let him eat any of it as a snack? Why would you get your kid's hopes up like that?

Retail

What's with the keyboard?

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Half the fun in extreme sports is the bruises and scars and torn appendages as your friends cheer you on.

Dustin

Since when did Dustin get a new car?

On the Fastrack

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Safe Havens

Perfect! Now it's just like my college dormitory!

Tiggum posted:

OK, quite aside from the fact that the whole plan (setting up a Facebook page for a company, getting lots of customers to Like it and then selling it) is incredibly dumb, and the fact that Dethany actually cares about this for some reason, if I understand this correctly then the company that they sold their page to is still going to run it as the official FastRack page? They didn't just buy it to get a page with a bunch of followers to use for their own marketing? And how would using Breech's Facebook page avoid the problem in any way? If the new owner would object to you starting a new FastRack page, wouldn't they object just as much to you turning an existing page into a new FastRack page?

Why am I trying to make sense of a Holbrook comic?
Best I figure is Dethany's lifetime ambition is to be a web community manager/moderator. So now she's in withdrawl and needs to start a new community quick.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This is a minor complaint, but why is the smoke alarm emitting a single note? I've only ever heard them beep. Unless they were different in the 70s?

Of course though, I'd imagine most homes back then didn't even have the things.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

I'm honest to god surprised that this isn't about a country musician.

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Andertoons is growing on me. I have been there to receive this presentation.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Super Number One Item Store Go!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Zereth posted:

Wait, there's dialogue in that? :monocle:

It is a problem. I don't want to post massive, desktop-sized images, but the captions are so tiny.
How about if I link to the full size?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Since when did Dustin get a new car?

I think he's just crossing the street.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Way to give yourself the Phil Fumble treatment during a funny pages obit, Gilchrist.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

It is a problem. I don't want to post massive, desktop-sized images, but the captions are so tiny.
How about if I link to the full size?

I think I liked it better when I didn't notice there was dialogue.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I didn't realize until now that Guy Gilchrist signs his name like it's the Disney logo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

I didn't realize until now that Guy Gilchrist signs his name like it's the Disney logo.
Or, given that this is comics, like it's Will Eisner's signature. Which is somehow worse.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

DoubleDonut posted:

Gup GilafrisP

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Super Number One Item Store Go!

Goddamnit Mary Jane you're not supposed to let Peter near phones.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

I'm honest to god surprised that this isn't about a country musician.

Give it two weeks.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Gilchrist's representation of himself here is about as accurate as Dobson's drawings of himself in SYAC.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Of all the "country" musicians for Gilchrist to memorialize, The Everly Brothers are among the most influential and important. If Gilchrist is going to memorialize dead people, I'd rather he did Phil Everly than some no-name country musician who's never once been mentioned by dozens of rock musicians as a major influence. :shrug:

I may not like his incessant maudlin memorials, but I'm willing to forgive his less odious choices.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 5, 2014

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Gilchrist's representations of anything are about as accurate as Dobson's drawings of anything.

FTFY. At least he's not a green horse or whatever animal rednecks would want to be depicted as.

Also, Plastino here looks like the creepy lady from One Big Happy.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
The Everlys weren't country. The most Phil will get is to have his name scrawled across Fritzi's tits.

I'm still doing Lio but ecch.

Red and Rover reminds you the kid is stupider than his dog.

And this is a Sunday-only thing, but it goes back a ways so I may switch to it as the full time comic. It's Mac King's Magic in a Minute. Mac King is an influential magician (well, to other magicians) who's probably best known for the "sticking a fork in your eye" trick. He's apparently had this strip since 2000 but I've never seen it before.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Plastino was hired as a backup artist for "Peanuts" just in case Schulz died from the surgery he was going through back in the early 1980s.

Turned out he didn't, so his strips were never used. Schulz himself didn't know about this until years later.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Gilchrist's representation of himself here is about as accurate as Dobson's drawings of himself in SYAC.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Spider-Man (Nov. 09-15, 2008)

Aardmania fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 5, 2014

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Needs more dong.

I still laughed.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
This reminded me of something.

This is from a Peanuts paperback collection ("Good Ol' Snoopy") I have that was published in the 50s.

Presto fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 5, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That actually works. People give more money to well-dressed beggars.

Mandrake the Magician (1941-09-14 and 1941-09-21)

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Guy Gilchrist made or shared no fewer than eight Facebook posts about Phil Everly.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

Beyond Slylock's natural instinct to doubt anything Shady says, he found absolutely no fallen shards from the taillights at the accident.

Slylock Fox

Sorry Smitty but those coins are eminent domain now. Should've known better than to bury your private stash on public property when you were seven. Slylock will be taking them off your hands for you.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Tiggum posted:

That actually works. People give more money to well-dressed beggars.

Mandrake the Magician (1941-09-14 and 1941-09-21)

So they had knowledge of clubs and battle-axes, but not punching? :raise:

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

We have another guest character for this new story. This crossover is from Mary Perkins, On Stage, that ran from 1957 through 1979.

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Solange must have realized in that last panel that she's wasted her life appearing in this comic.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Quincy, October 30 - November 2, 1973

Best described as Skippy merged with Wee Pals, Ted Shearer's Quincy ran from 1970-86. I'm a fan of Quincy, of both its artwork and the grounded storytelling. Shearer quit a lucrative job at BBDO to draw Quincy, and he's a pioneer just like Morrie Turner.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 5, 2014

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Jesus christ, :laffo:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Juliet Jones Sunday.

drat, that's a fine donkey.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs

Quincy looked familiar for some reason, so I googled Ted Shearer, and found out why.

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Ted_Shearer

Turns out I saw his work without realizing it, 30 some odd years ago.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

mwdan posted:

Quincy looked familiar for some reason, so I googled Ted Shearer, and found out why.
Yeah, his son wrote Billy Jo Jive, and Ted did the artwork for it. I don't know how much input they had on the Sesame Street segments.

The Little King

There was a Little King cartoon; Thunderbean have a DVD of it. Any of the vintage cartoon buffs itt own a copy?

welp

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 5, 2014

• Locked thread