Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

coconono posted:

I've seen said picture and its pretty disturbing.

So how do you know the butthole belongs to Sags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

It had paint splatters all over it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Red posted:

Look at the verb.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Endorph posted:

Look at the verb adjective.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
A collection of beautiful Observer quotes about WCW:

August 23, 1999 posted:

There have been diversity meetings as it regards to race relations. Things were ok in the office until the No Limit Soldiers vs. Cowboys angle, because the office is basically made up of country music fans and African Americans, and the angle somehow polarized the office. One of Bischoff's secretaries wrote a very nasty racial joke on her computer and emailed it to her friend, but apparently pushed the wrong button and emailed it to everyone, both black and white, in the office.

September 25, 1999 posted:

Steiner & Lex backing off from La Parka, which was booked as a practical joke, saying Luger was afraid of skeletons.

February 21, 2000 posted:

A Tv Series starring Duggan called 'Biker's Court' was attempting to be sold for syndication at the NATPE convention last week. It was a worked cross between Judge Judy and Jerry Springer, with bikers as the jurors, a silicon implanted baliff and Duggan carrying his 2X4 as the judge. A typical episode is a midget smoker who is suing the tobacco companies claiming smoking stunted his growth and asking for compensation for a multimillion dollar NBA career that he didn't have.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Perigryn posted:

A collection of beautiful Observer quotes about WCW:

Heeeeeeeeeeeeere's Hacksaw!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyypJ2GAu_c

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The October 21st 96 Observer is up and it's a big issue. Dave breaks down the bidding war over Bret Hart and the age demographics for the Monday Night Wars. The most interesting part is the confirmation that John Cena is basically a more popular version of 1996 Shawn Michaels, except not as good in the ring as Shawn, but much more popular with women. The latter struck me as funny. On top of this it covers Dynamite Kid's farewell in Japan, the legalization of UFC in New York (Ha!)

quote:

In a nutshell, from a legislative standpoint in New York, the only difference between human cockfighting and athletic competition is whether the state can get its cut.

Then there is the story of Sabu leaving Tokyo Pro Wrestling over not wanting to do barbed wire matches, work with Abdullah and some other issues culminating in him threatening to skip his final show with the promotion:

quote:

It was believed Sabu was going to simply fly home without doing the Osaka show, but instead he did a double swerve.

Sabu took a taxi to the gym (traditionally all the wrestlers come from the hotel to the arena together on a bus) and came in the front door in costume just as Kabuki was announcing that Sabu had suffered an illness and wouldn't be appearing. Since Sabu was in costume running around fine in front of the fans, it basically forced TPW's hand and they had to put Sabu on the card and had to pay him since the fans saw him and he worked with and put over Scorpio.

While this was all going on, Sabu was involved in secret negotiations with All Japan and agreed to the deal, which would basically end up with Sabu & Van Dam as a regular tag team getting the spot vacated by Dan Kroffat & Doug Furnas as a mid-card team that will bounce around the All-Asian tag team titles with the mid-card Japanese wrestlers.

quote:

Among those appearing at the 10/6 AWF television tapings in Tampa were Missy Hyatt, Bobby Bradley Jr., Fire Cat (Brady Boone), Charlie Norris, Billy Two Eagles (from Portland), Fidel Sierra, Chris Adams, Steve Doll, Blacktop Bully, Sgt. Slaughter, Konnan 2000 (Scott Putski), Texas Hangmen, Koko Ware, Mr. Hughes, Tony Atlas, Nailz, Road Warriors, Honkytonk Man and One Man Gang. They drew about 500 fans, who were paid $50 apiece by the promotion and given catered food to attend making it at negative $25,000 house which must set some sort of a record. AWF starts back on Ch. 2 in New York at 1:30 a.m. Sundays starting 10/20. There are negotiations to bring AWF to the FX cable channel as early as January.

quote:

The WCW Saturday Night show was taped on 10/8 in Greenwood, SC before a sellout 2,600 (2,100 paying $20,000). Almost nothing significant on the show. The NWO segment was taped before the card started on 10/7. Hall & Nash wrestled with a crowd of two people (DiBiase and Vincent) and they piped in all kinds of fake crowd noise as they wrestled the Starbuck brothers, said to be twins, a fat black guy and a skinny white guy, billed as being stars from Madison Square Garden and being from Stamford, CT. The guy who wasn't in the ring would do the commentary. It was a 12:00 segment edited down to 5:00, and even then it was about 2:00 too long. There was some good inside humor which of course is lost on 99% of the crowd, but stuff like that gets old in a hurry. So naturally they're going to do it again next week. Actually as bad as the Saturday show usually is, that and the Nick Patrick interviews are the most memorable thing about the show.

quote:

At the Nitro from Cleveland on 9/30, if you had a dish, you could find the back-haul feed from the hotel room and see Kevin Sullivan after the NWO segments handing the guys their scripts, telling them where to sit and what to say. It's amazing something that bad was actually scripted. Anyway, after the show ended those watching on dishes could see Savage and Liz walk back into the room where Eric Bischoff, Sullivan and the NWO guys were all talking about what a great job they'd done.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'd heard of papering but actively paying the audience to be there?

I'm not sure even TNA has done that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's the AWF. It was the XFL to WWF/WCW's NFL.

The XFL lasted longer.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Toffile posted:

It's the AWF. It was the XFL to WWF/WCW's NFL.

The XFL lasted longer.

Was the material itself so bad that they literally could not give away tickets, or was it just a really stupid gambit?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

Was the material itself so bad that they literally could not give away tickets, or was it just a really stupid gambit?

It was a promotion that immediately opened and started with TV tapings as the Monday Night Wars started to ramp up. In a stroke of brilliance, the AWF copped the rounds system from MMA/Boxing.

The top draws were Sgt. Slaughter, Koko B Ware, and Tito Santana. In the mid-90's. Oh and Nails, the WWF wrestler formerly known as Nailz.

Honestly, it was a really stupid gambit that was so bad they literally could not give away tickets.

And somehow it has outlasted WCW. Probably because even Vince doesn't care enough to buy out the remnants for the tape library.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 26, 2013

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bob Orton, Jr. and Tito Santana had like a ****1/2 match in the AWF

EDIT:

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBHQmbkIhQI

Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1LGS6wkoVQ

Good times.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Maxwell Lord posted:

TNA wouldn't have to, since a lot of the Impact Zone fans at were park employees.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Toffile posted:

It was a promotion that immediately opened and started with TV tapings as the Monday Night Wars started to ramp up. In a stroke of brilliance, the AWF copped the rounds system from MMA/Boxing.

The top draws were Sgt. Slaughter, Koko B Ware, and Tito Santana. In the mid-90's. Oh and Nails, the WWF wrestler formerly known as Nailz.

Honestly, it was a really stupid gambit that was so bad they literally could not give away tickets.

And somehow it has outlasted WCW. Probably because even Vince doesn't care enough to buy out the remnants for the tape library.

Ah, I remember reading about the rounds system in Wrestlecrap. The name didn't ring a bell.

(Also some other stupid rules as I recall- didn't they have WCW's brief top-rope ban?)

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Perigryn posted:

September 25, 1999 posted:
Steiner & Lex backing off from La Parka, which was booked as a practical joke, saying Luger was afraid of skeletons.

I am just imagining a WCW where everyone put over La Parka as if they believed he was a literal walking skeleton that only the audience realizes is a man in a suit, like the Warrior mirror gimmick but actually entertaining.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
gently caress, I got so wrapped up in Silva/Weidman I forgot to post yesterday that Saturday was the 16th anniversary of Sting/Hogan at Starrcade. It's late December so we're close to a bunch of dumb WCW anniversaries!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Terms of the WWF contract aren't known for certain, although the actual figures bandied about within the industry and that were reported here last week are higher than the actual numbers on the contract on both ends, although both deals would have amounted to more money guaranteed over the three year period than all but two or three pro wrestlers have earned over their entire career. It is believed the WWF deal amounts to slightly less than $3 million per year guaranteed over the first three years of the contract, and a lesser amount for a non-performer contract that would cover the remaining 17 years which is why Hart in the interview said he'd be with the WWF for life. It is believed the total figure amounts to somewhere between $11 million and $14 million over the length of the contract. Hart has made it clear that he didn't want to wrestle past his prime as most of the major superstars in wrestling end up doing, particularly since he's been outspoken about Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair's continuing to wrestle in their mid-to-late 40s. Hart is also well known for being, well, the opposite of extravagant when it comes to lifestyle so he should be easily set for life and in some ways it's an amazing story for someone who not all that many years ago during the drug era seemed destined to be a very talented mid-card performer.

While Hart had largely decided, after apparently changing his mind twice earlier in the week, to go to the WWF after a meeting with Vince McMahon on 10/10 when McMahon came to Calgary to make the deal, it may not have truly been a definite decision until Sunday night. He had told friends that he was going back to WWF after the meeting with McMahon, but had his own list of stipulations he wanted McMahon to agree to that McMahon hadn't gotten back to him about as of 10/15 and reportedly his decision was starting to waffle. However, McMahon got back to Hart on 10/16 and agreed to what Hart wanted and he appeared once again in the WWF camp but was going to let Eric Bischoff pitch him one last time that evening. The pitches ended up continuing back-and-forth until Sunday night. Hart was in San Jose over the weekend for a Neil Young benefit show, and as late as after the WWF PPV show was still entertaining offers not only from Bischoff and McMahon, but also was called by Kevin Nash and Scott Hall attempting to convince him to join WCW as they told him they loved working there because the travel scheduled is so much easier on their family life.

No way this can go wrong.

Also, the "stipulations" included stuff like "I'm in the main event I don't' see why I should have to turn up on time I wanna turn up half way through the show"

quote:

There were two changes in the original line-up. Savio Vega was replaced by Hunter Hearst Helmsley in the PPV opener against Steve Austin due to an undisclosed injury which was apparently suffered on a weekend tour of Puerto Rico. While Austin-Vega would have been a better match, Austin had a good match with Helmsley who was a very solid and suitable replacement.

Start of the "Solid B+" stuff from Dave.

quote:

The rest of the NWO did an angle with Sting where the Imposter Sting was wrestling J.L. when the real Sting came out and put him in the scorpion. All the NWO guys were there but none helped Imposter Sting. Afterwards they asked Sting, dressed in black, to join the NWO and Sting didn't give a positive or negative answer. The idea here is to do an angle based on the shoot situation with Bret Hart, but this time WCW can win.

Zing!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Happy 15th anniversary, brother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPNq3hGWolM

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I'll never get sick of the kid in the nwo facepaint at 06:36 marking the gently caress out at the win, to the point of almost hugging his friend, and then they both cheer wildly as if they just saw a 25 minute classic.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

How did Goldberg survive such a terrible beating?!? :ohdear:

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

I'd almost begun to forget just how absurdly over-the-top Buffer's intros could be.

Kevin "Citizen of the World" Nash.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

I like how spray painting Goldberg's head seemed to set him off at the end to where he stopped selling the taser and then remembered to after a few seconds.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I still want to know how it took Goldberg so long to cross the street.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

dsriggs posted:

How did Goldberg survive such a terrible beating?!? :ohdear:
Forget about that, how did Steiner even manage to roll out of the ring after that spinning thigh to the chest?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Big Bossman threw a better spinkick than that.

I'm not even being sarcastic. Bossman's spinkick at the 92 Rumble was awesome.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DeathChicken posted:

Big Bossman threw a better spinkick than that.

I'm not even being sarcastic. Bossman's spinkick at the 92 Rumble was awesome.

I remember when Bossman would occasionally bust out a loving crescent kick too, just out of nowhere.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Old Ryback's Spinkicks are hilarious. Also it looked like at one point he tried to Superkick too and ended up gently massaging someone's chest instead.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

I'd forgotten how much trash the crowds at Nitro would throw into the ring whenever the NWO would do something at the end of a show. It's almost like people would save up their garbage to chuck into the ring.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Rush hour, don't you know?

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

bobkatt013 posted:

He stopped to watch Mick Foley win the WWF title.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Goldberg pulling up to the arena in a shitbag Taurus :lol:

And yeah, garbage filling the ring was a classic Nitro theme. I wouldn't be surprised if 95% of the food/beverage sales came within the last ten minutes of the show.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 5, 2014

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So I found out that there's a Wikipedia page for the Black Scorpion that is pretty much nothing but this:

quote:

History

Sued for racism towards an anthropod

I'm going to assume that's a pretty accurate description of events.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Ktik posted:

I like how spray painting Goldberg's head seemed to set him off at the end to where he stopped selling the taser and then remembered to after a few seconds.

Likely because it looks like Hogan nearly sprayed him in the eyes.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

JusticeBot posted:

Likely because it looks like Hogan nearly sprayed him in the eyes.

Yeah, Goldberg looked pretty legit pissed off and you can see him yelling some poo poo at Hogan before Hall hits him with the prod again.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

David Flair comes to mind.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's been two weeks since we've watched Nitro, and in a way it will be another two weeks until we watch Nitro! Tonight is WCW CLASH OF THE CHAMPIONS, the go home show for nWo Souled Out!

Tonight at 8 PM we will watch the Penultimate CLASH OF THE CHAMPIONS which looks to be a great show. nWo Souled Out will likely be next week and it looks like it will be a less great show.

There's a crazy lucha six man tag.

Dean Malenko challenges Ultimo Dragon for the cruiserweight title (Dragon lost the J-Crown at the 1997 January 4th Dome Show)

Benoit faces Sullivan in a Falls Count Anywhere match that probably ends up in the bathroom.

Lex Luger faces Scott Hall.

Norton faces Eddy AND SO MUCH MORE!

It's a two hour show with 9 matches but the ones with potential don't look rushed.

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Join us at 8 for WCW and a bit earlier for the first episode of Cowboy Who? After WCW I will either show more Cowboy Who? or maybe TNA. I find Cowboy Who? completely fascinating so that's more likely. I could also be convinced to do a movie?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I can confirm Cowboy Who? is very, very fascinating.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Halloween Jack posted:

Forget about that, how did Steiner even manage to roll out of the ring after that spinning thigh to the chest?

Amazing, it's like a clothesline. Just with, you know, his leg.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Grendels Dad posted:

Amazing, it's like a clothesline. Just with, you know, his leg.

except he got some of his heel in with the strike. It looks like Steiner rolled with it but that's still an easy way to break a dude's collarbone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I'm listening to TSN Radio and they just had Mark Madden on there. I forgot how loving obnoxious he was.