Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

horse mans posted:

You are in luck, I just was doing this the other day. I'm going to recommend that you instead import them as dimages, which means that all the metadata will be preserved and so on. Here's my dumb script.

Run it at the command line like sh import_cd.sh ~/WhereIWantMyCDsArchived. It's not 'automated' per se, but it'll eject the disc once it's done (or fails), and then you can just repeat the command for the next disc. Also, hdiutil will ask for your password on each create for some reason. Have fun.
Maybe if you added 'sudo' in front of the hdutil command you'd only have to do it once per several tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Binary Badger posted:

Maybe if you added 'sudo' in front of the hdutil command you'd only have to do it once per several tries.

Yeah. Eh.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I have a macbook retina that I use for work and it's alright but I realized today that there's no spdif line in on these like my iMac had. Is there something usb that I can plug in that offers this? I want spdif specifically because I run it from my external monitor for when I plug my gaming pc and use an AB switch on my keyboard and mouse. I have a usb analog and it seems to have some terrible interference to the point of being useless.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

flyboi posted:

So I have a macbook retina that I use for work and it's alright but I realized today that there's no spdif line in on these like my iMac had. Is there something usb that I can plug in that offers this? I want spdif specifically because I run it from my external monitor for when I plug my gaming pc and use an AB switch on my keyboard and mouse. I have a usb analog and it seems to have some terrible interference to the point of being useless.
The Retina machines have S/PDIF over Toslink (and the newest models support 192kHz sample rates). I don't think that's any different from what optical audio-equipped iMacs in the past have used.

There might be better solutions in the hardware thread though.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Sonic Dude posted:

The Retina machines have S/PDIF over Toslink (and the newest models support 192kHz sample rates). I don't think that's any different from what optical audio-equipped iMacs in the past have used.

There might be better solutions in the hardware thread though.

Mines a 2012 13" and the audio port only has a headphone which I thought was audio out only

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

flyboi posted:

Mines a 2012 13" and the audio port only has a headphone which I thought was audio out only

The same port does both headphone and optical digital.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

flyboi posted:

It also has optical out the same port. If you don't believe Sonic Dude and CygnusTM, why not believe Apple's official specs page for the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro Late 2012 edition?

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP658

Apple posted:

• Headphone port

Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)
Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone

Dunno if this is any use to you either, but I think it's related.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3625

Also I can't unsee Gizmo asking about Toslink outputs.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 1, 2014

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So what's the adapter I need? I used the toslink cable from my iMac but all I see is internal mic on the recording section

Edit: re-read the link, it's audio output only, not input

Headphone port
Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)
Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone

flyboi fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 1, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I picked up a new Griffin iMic for like $15 on eBay. It works well enough. At least a -50dB floor. I'd do that because trying to get anything useful into the earbud mic pin is hopeless.

Edit:oops, forgot you wanted digital.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 1, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Does the facility exist in OS X / iCloud to generate an URL to a particular Numbers spreadsheet that lives in iCloud document storage?

My use case is this: I've got an Evernote note where I keep some tax-related information. I'd like to be able to click on a numbers://my-icloud-doc URL within that note, and have it open that particular spreadsheet.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
If you're okay with it opening in iCloud Numbers, start iCloud Numbers, select the spreadsheet you want, choose "Share Spreadsheet..." from the little gear menu in the upper-right, and use the link it shows you there. No need to actually share the document.

I don't know if there's a way to make OS X Numbers open it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Soup in a Bag posted:

If you're okay with it opening in iCloud Numbers, start iCloud Numbers, select the spreadsheet you want, choose "Share Spreadsheet..." from the little gear menu in the upper-right, and use the link it shows you there. No need to actually share the document.

I don't know if there's a way to make OS X Numbers open it.

That's definitely better than nothing. I'd really prefer it open in the native app though (it would be awesome if it worked on iOS also, but the iWork iOS apps don't appear to have any URL scheme support whatsoever. I was thinking there might be a way on OS X though)

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Does anyone know why I have to (not always but usually) manually adjust the LEFT/RIGHT balance to my Apple provided iPhone headphones every time I plug them in to my MBP? It's a small annoyance, but really quite..annoying.

Threads on the Apple support say a broken headphone jack but that's bullshit it works fine. This is software 100%.

For now, I have re-ran the Audio MIDI Setup and did the Configure Speakers option to check the stereo settings. They looked fine, so who knows...we'll see if this holds.

decypher fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 3, 2014

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Today I accidentally rsynced everything to the wrong folder, causing it to delete everything in the target folder that I wanted to keep. I then renamed the folder with the deleted files and went into time machine to recover the missing files, only to find out that apparently that one folder was not in time machine. Everything else is there, but that one specific folder is missing.

I don't have my time machine drive handy, so these are the local tm backups I'm looking at. Why doesn't the local backup have the folder? It's not set to ignore that folder and that folder has definitely existed for months.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

decypher posted:

Does anyone know why I have to (not always but usually) manually adjust the LEFT/RIGHT balance to my Apple provided iPhone headphones every time I plug them in to my MBP? It's a small annoyance, but really quite..annoying.

Threads on the Apple support say a broken headphone jack but that's bullshit it works fine. This is software 100%.

For now, I have re-ran the Audio MIDI Setup and did the Configure Speakers option to check the stereo settings. They looked fine, so who knows...we'll see if this holds.

It's not every time, but occasionally I'll have it fall out of balance on me. If it happened repeatedly I'd at least try resetting PRAM and SMC, and then taking it in to a store if that had no effect. I agree that it's closer to software than a broken port, though.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

carry on then posted:

It's not every time, but occasionally I'll have it fall out of balance on me. If it happened repeatedly I'd at least try resetting PRAM and SMC, and then taking it in to a store if that had no effect. I agree that it's closer to software than a broken port, though.

Wow, that still happens? That was something that drove me nuts on my old G4 PowerBook. It seemed to happen when the processor was at 100% for long periods.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

thegreatcodfish posted:

Wow, that still happens?
Yeah, I was just pretty shocked to learn that zapping PRAM is still a thing.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I have the weirdest bug going on in iTunes right now. I spent christmas in a different time zone, and for some reason since I've come back home the date stamp for my latest iPhone backup in iTunes is in CET, but both my phone and mac are set to GMT.

Does iTunes have a third place to get the time from? :confused:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I know this forum isn't tech support, but I've got a rather odd situation.

Someone I know started installing Mavericks and then closed her laptop. Naturally, that hosed things up a bit. Thing is, no matter what I do, I'm not able to reinstall OS X (not 10.8 or 10.9) on that machine. I've wiped the hard drive and even replaced the hard drive, but it just won't let me install it. If I try using the installer, I get an error saying "can't download additional components needed to install OS X." If I use a recovery image I prepared, it simply gives me an install failed screen after it gets most of the way done.

This is frustrating the poo poo out of me. What on earth is the problem?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

What model laptop? 13-inch? 15-inch? Mid 2009? Mid 2011? What was it running before? Was it an SSD or a regular drive? Was there room for it or did they only have 4 GB left?

Didja try reinstalling from a bootable drive, as mentioned in the OP?

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

What model laptop? 13-inch? 15-inch? Mid 2009? Mid 2011? What was it running before? Was it an SSD or a regular drive? Was there room for it or did they only have 4 GB left?

Didja try reinstalling from a bootable drive, as mentioned in the OP?
It's a 13" late 2011, completely stock with a regular hard drive, and it had 10.8.5 if I remember correctly. There was ample room—both before when this other person was using it, and of course after when I reformatted it (or used a whole new HDD).

After many hours, I still couldn't find a solution, so what I just did was took another laptop—exact same model in every way—and threw in the hard drive from the "broken" machine and installed Mavericks. Then I put that hard drive in the first computer, and... would ya look at that. Golly gee, it's running fine now.

I still wonder what the problem was, though. Very strange!

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

cloudline posted:

I still wonder what the problem was, though.
If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's the hard drive cable. Those were not happy on the 2009-2010 and some of the 2011 models.

It's bad enough that I know the part number is 922-9771.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Hey guys sorry for being retarded but I couldn't find a good answer and I'm very cautious/neurotic.

Would following these instructions make a clean install from Mavericks (to Mavericks, I guess)?

TIA

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

Boatswain posted:

Hey guys sorry for being retarded but I couldn't find a good answer and I'm very cautious/neurotic.

Would following these instructions make a clean install from Mavericks (to Mavericks, I guess)?

TIA

Yes. The OS (re)install choice is based on what your recovery shipped with I believe. I used those steps with the addition of writing the Install Maverick to a usb bootable device as my install media to reinstall a mac mini that only offered Snow Leopard as its recovery install option.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Thanks!

My MBA came with Mountain Lion but according to Apple the recovery partition should have been overwritten to Mavericks when I updated? I'll see I guess.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?
You can boot from recovery and it will say which version it offers to install without having to commit to an install. Just quit/reboot after you find out.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Did SMB get any better with 10.9? With 10.7/10.8 I was recommended to use samba which I'm using now on a MM thats a file server. If I upgrade to 10.9 should I keep using samba or switch back to Apple's newer SMB?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Did SMB get any better with 10.9? With 10.7/10.8 I was recommended to use samba which I'm using now on a MM thats a file server. If I upgrade to 10.9 should I keep using samba or switch back to Apple's newer SMB?
Define "better." It's dramatically faster, that's for sure.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Define "better." It's dramatically faster, that's for sure.

Random drop outs during streaming/copy operations. Mainly large files 1G-10G.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Hey I had no issues doing a clean install using the recovery partition and the internet (from Mavericks to Mavericks). Thanks for your answers.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Have a question about securing an iMac (running Mavericks). I bought my elderly parents an iMac. They can use it, but barely (tried iPad before you say that). Everything is fine most of the time...when it's not, I have to remote into the machine (use Logmein free - works great).

The problem is, I have a shady family member who is quite malicious (behind everyone's back) and she likes to go in and disable Logmein as a startup app because she knows they don't know how to re-start it (long story as to why someone would do such a thing). She doesn't want me helping them out. This creates havoc as my parents call with an issue and their machine shows offline. I have to walk them through the process of searching "logmein" using spotlight to re-start the program so I can access their machine.

I think she knows the password, so I just changed it remotely. Also, I registered "Logmein" as a hidden startup app in system settings, then clicked the lock icon.

I still think she can close it from the menu bar, right? If so, is there a way to totally lock the system so that a user can't close running programs? There has to be a way (libraries, etc).

I just need Logmein to run 24x7 with no possibility of being closed by anyone but myself (who has the password to the machine).

Thanks

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What about using OSX native screen-sharing, lock the preference on, change passwords?

I want to read the E/N thread.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Seriously, it sounds like you're looking for a technical solution to a social problem. If this person is as determined as you seem to be implying, they probably will go as far as killall logmein. If she no longer knows the password then she can't repeat what she did last time, and hopefully that's enough. The only thing I can think of would be to see if LogMeIn can run as a daemon with admin privileges and ensure the active account does not have admin access, but even that might not be enough. I don't have much experience with LogMeIn; Teamviewer has the ability to be set up for unattended access (which lets you access the system from the login screen,) maybe LMI has it too? Of course, if your relative can somehow get the password off your parents, it's over.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Guys it's my 41 year old sister. She can barely use a computer as is. She's not going to hack the thing.

Long story and believe me, I'm fully aware of the social issue at hand. It's very difficult, trust me on this.

And I happen to be 2,500 miles away and rarely have the chance to visit in person, so that's the reason I need a technical solution.

But thanks for the suggestions.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 5, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Then how is it an issue? You changed the password, she can no longer do what she did before. Done. You'll have to have your parents restart the computer if she closes it from the menu bar, but there won't be any way to get rid of some indication that the program is running, as no one who makes these sorts of products wants them to be used for hacking/unnoticed intrusion. I'm not aware of any OS that allows you to prevent a program from closing, and neither Teamviewer or Logmein will want to implement that feature (at least in the free version) for the same reason they won't let you hide the icon.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
VNC has had a hidden mode forever.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

VNC isn't intended for impromptu over-the-net help requests, though, it requires open ports and a direct connection. Have fun setting that up, I guess.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
You could also try using broomstick to hide the icon in the menu bar.

http://www.zibity.com/broomstick

Hasn't been updated in a while but seems to work fine in mavericks.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

syndex posted:

You could also try using broomstick to hide the icon in the menu bar.

http://www.zibity.com/broomstick

Hasn't been updated in a while but seems to work fine in mavericks.

Thanks for this (and the other suggestions). Between changing the password, locking the startup item Logmein and this, she won't even know it's running. Of course she could go into system settings and try to de-register it as a startup item, but whoops, wrong password.

That's all I need to know. Silent win is good by me. poo poo breaks, just have them reboot like was suggested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Shaocaholica posted:

It's improved quite a bit; I'd recommend using it. (Of note, OS X now defaults to using SMB2 when file sharing between two Macs running Mavericks.)