Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

animeliker posted:

Are TVR's remotely reliable?

Ha... haha....hahahahahahahahahahaha * snort *

Serious answer: No TVR is reliable mostly electrical issues due to bad earths oh and the fact they will try to kill you every time you go near the throttle and steering wheel at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Austin, TX. Has the dreaded "Ran when Parked" along with sort of a rudely toned ad, but the price seems alright given the market for these cars, both manuals.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4267006693.html

hmmm I live in houston, have a trailer and a penchant for e30's....curious how much he wants for the 325is

edit: he wants 1500..now if I can convince the gf we need another non-running vehicle.

shoopeach fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 4, 2014

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I'm just a curious by-stander and know next to nothing about cars. How much money and time would it actually cost you to buy a "ran when parked" BMW for $1500 and make it a speedy Vroom vroom again? From reading other threads I am under the impression that BMWs are a hefty expensive thing to fix.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm just a curious by-stander and know next to nothing about cars. How much money and time would it actually cost you to buy a "ran when parked" BMW for $1500 and make it a speedy Vroom vroom again? From reading other threads I am under the impression that BMWs are a hefty expensive thing to fix.

This one really depends on what the problem is. It could be the usual "bad fuel pump" or something a lot more labor/cost intensive. My main concern with that car is going to be the rubber suspension bits, which can usually be extremely time consuming to replace.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Was it parked in 2012, or 1993? Was it parked outdoors in Green Bay, Wisconsin, or indoors in Scottsdale, Arizona? Is it a 7-series or a 3-series? Everything depends on the details. It could range anywhere from "all you need to do is replace the battery, change the oil and filter, and you're good to go" to "you need to tear it down to the frame and weld patch panels into all the rusted-out places, replace the engine, and spend $20k rebuilding it" to "this car will never run again."

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012
Apparently it was parked in 2011 in a covered spot at an apartment building. Owner claims no rust, but that obviously can't be confirmed until I see it and start poking around. Girlfriend seems "ok" with this...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

shoopeach posted:

Apparently it was parked in 2011 in a covered spot at an apartment building. Owner claims no rust, but that obviously can't be confirmed until I see it and start poking around. Girlfriend seems "ok" with this...

I think you're missing some seriously important information that you've already been asked. Like WHAT YEAR AND MODEL. There are just a few differences in complexity, common issues, and parts prices to contend with here.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Motronic posted:

I think you're missing some seriously important information that you've already been asked. Like WHAT YEAR AND MODEL. There are just a few differences in complexity, common issues, and parts prices to contend with here.

The 1988 325is that was posted earlier

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OK, so the next question is: do you have the space, time and tools to work on a car? Also, do you know how to turn a wrench? If so, to what level of complexity are you comfortable (i.e somewhere between changing oil and swapping a motor).

Because any vehicle of that age is going to need work, and it's not a one shot deal. They need to be kept up with on a regular basis.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Motronic posted:

OK, so the next question is: do you have the space, time and tools to work on a car? Also, do you know how to turn a wrench? If so, to what level of complexity are you comfortable (i.e somewhere between changing oil and swapping a motor).

Because any vehicle of that age is going to need work, and it's not a one shot deal. They need to be kept up with on a regular basis.

I have room to store it, I have built and swapped an ls1 in a 944, and I once did a complete drivetrain swap in an e30 (took all the running gear out of one w/ a rusted out body and put it into a rust free chassis). I don't mind doing the work and I've always loved these cars. What do you think its worth(if theres no rust)? If there's rust I'm walking.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

shoopeach posted:

I have room to store it, I have built and swapped an ls1 in a 944, and I once did a complete drivetrain swap in an e30 (took all the running gear out of one w/ a rusted out body and put it into a rust free chassis). I don't mind doing the work and I've always loved these cars. What do you think its worth(if theres no rust)? If there's rust I'm walking.

If you've done that than simply expect 944 parts prices, availability and complexity. It's even running the same engine management as a 944.

I can't tell you whether it's worth it or not. I don't "get" e30s. I think they're cool, but I wouldn't invest the time and money into them that I would a 944. Obviously that's a highly personal opinion/decision.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Motronic, shoopeach, and Blind Rasputin are having a confusing conversation where Motronic thinks shoopeach's posts are coming from Blind Rasputin and shoopeach is having trouble understanding why Motronic is asking all these questions.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hog Obituary posted:

Motronic, shoopeach, and Blind Rasputin are having a confusing conversation where Motronic thinks shoopeach's posts are coming from Blind Rasputin and shoopeach is having trouble understanding why Motronic is asking all these questions.

That could explain a whole lot.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

shoopeach posted:

Absolutely rustfree and good paint with no oxidation? 1000 tops since it's a diving board model. But I don't believe in the ridiculous inflated cult prices of e30s. The asking prices on r3v these days are absurd.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Crustashio posted:

Absolutely rustfree and good paint with no oxidation? 1000 tops since it's a diving board model. But I don't believe in the ridiculous inflated cult prices of e30s. The asking prices on r3v these days are absurd.

I have the January issue of Roundel in front of me if you want to see some ridiculous poo poo. :v:

e: lol

Phone fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 5, 2014

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Motronic posted:

If you've done that than simply expect 944 parts prices, availability and complexity. It's even running the same engine management as a 944.

I can't tell you whether it's worth it or not. I don't "get" e30s. I think they're cool, but I wouldn't invest the time and money into them that I would a 944. Obviously that's a highly personal opinion/decision.

I had one in germany that was gutted w/ a 4.25 ratio lsd and mediocre kumhos that I drove non-stop on the nurburgring for 2 weeks on my friends "jahreskarte" while living on his floor. I figured what better way to relive those 2 weeks than to purchase another one and blast around in it for a bit before selling it for 3x the amount to some guy in his mid 20's w/ lots of tattoos, tight jeans, and a stupid mustache.

Hog Obituary posted:

Motronic posted:

That could explain a whole lot.

ya that was somewhat confusing, sorry about all that

Crustashio posted:

I do hate the diving boards, I may "lowball" him w/ a 1k dollar offer tomorrow with the incentive of picking it up that day(which has probably occured 10x to this poor guy).

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

I have the January issue of Roundel in front of me if you want to see some ridiculous poo poo. :v:

e: lol

I'll take a hit of what ever they are smoking please.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Austin, TX. Has the dreaded "Ran when Parked" along with sort of a rudely toned ad, but the price seems alright given the market for these cars, both manuals.

I'm signing this dude up for as many text spams services as I can find.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't understand what's pissing people off about that listing, have you guys ever tried to sell a car on craigslist? All the things he said are stuff that retards have wasted my time with, and more. Not that putting it in the listing stops them, of course.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You know I actually kind of like the diving boards now that I've driven one for a year, maybe it's stockholm syndrome v:shobon:v

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

kastein posted:

I don't understand what's pissing people off about that listing, have you guys ever tried to sell a car on craigslist? All the things he said are stuff that retards have wasted my time with, and more. Not that putting it in the listing stops them, of course.

"Oh can I come with my dad he knows a lot about cars we're only 3 hours from you"

"I get paid on the 15th but I really really want this can you hold on to it please I swear I'm serious"

"hi want to trade for my 1988 civic manual thanks"

"dude I know you said you want cash but can I trade you this great futon or maybe some weed lmk hmu"

And everyone's favorite:

"Hi is the car still available"

Anyways, I agree with kastein.

Craigslist teaches you to hate people who use Craigslist. My experience is that being a dick like that filters out all the people who aren't "there" yet, and gives you better odds of selling to someone who understands why you're being a dick. I would rather buy from a guy like that than the guy with a CAPSLOCK TAG CLOUD under his post.

If I ever have free time again, I'm thinking about building a craigslist competitor for people who know what the gently caress they're doing.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ironblock posted:

And everyone's favorite:

Well, in truth, half the time I inquire about a car, its sold, and the ad is still up. But when I inquire I usually do a:

"Is the car still for sale? If so, is there a specific time that works good for you so I can look at it/test drive?"

I know its a little annoying, but it pretty much states, "Hey fuckwit, I want to look at your car, and possibly buy it".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ironblock posted:

I would rather buy from a guy like that than the guy with a CAPSLOCK TAG CLOUD under his post.

I flag those mother fuckers for spam every time I see them.

rear end in a top hat, I don't want your god drat slammed rusty honda, stop putting "subaru justy ford ranger 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 (...) 2013 jeep soot life diesel futon kitchen sink dildo ford chevy 350 swinger" in your "keywords".

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
1990 RX-7 with a "blown head gasket" . Is also "turbo ready".

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4267560125.html

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 5, 2014

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Dr.Caligari posted:

This is why rotary engines are "unreliable". They're owned by people like that guy.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

eBay is officially irrelevant

edit: ugh, I'm not using SA's internal picture host again - that's double the dimensions of the source file, and no way to remove it :argh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 5, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dr.Caligari posted:

lol head gasket.

Looks like it has the dreaded white paint issue that all Mazdas of that year have too.

I'd give him 300 bucks for it.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Speaking of crackpipe e30s...
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4233702728.html

I don't see how an S52 swap and some rimz adds $11k to the price.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/4272357299.html
This is.... glorious.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

edit: ugh, I'm not using SA's internal picture host again - that's double the dimensions of the source file, and no way to remove it :argh:

Retina MBP?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

This pic has been floating around the internet for possibly its entire existence, so either it's a joke or you need to show up just to see the famed "josephs redneck limo of many colors" in person.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
This is Omaha. I wouldn't doubt if this thing lives here.

(I guess I don't pay attention to the internet enough to know that this truck has been floating around)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ironblock posted:

And everyone's favorite:

Lots of people don't remove their ads.

"I would like to inquire about the car" avoids asking the question, but opens up the buyer to the seller acting like the caller is the stupid one for assuming that a car still listed on craigslist is still for sale.

There's also the customs that are holdovers from newspapers/penny saver ads; like abbreviating features of your car; not presuming the car is still available is probably among those as well.

Then there's cars that are likely to sell quick.

It is not a stupid question.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Until you hit a speedbump and the booger welds holding the 4 frame sections together collapse like a soggy cardboard tube.
Unless it's on a bus frame, in which case.... glorious.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

Lots of people don't remove their ads.

And lots of people don't check their spam folder, which more than half of the inquiries go.

I'm convinced I have missed a handful of great deals for this reason alone.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have had a few people get butthurt because I dared to contact them after the car was gone.

Hey einstein, you didn't take your drat listing down, how the gently caress was I supposed to know?

(I just put "I have a smartphone, this will be deleted within minutes of a sale, if it's still up it is still available" in)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep, I've recently been putting "if the add is still up it's still for sale" and it has cut down a lot on people asking if I still have it.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

leica posted:

Yep, I've recently been putting "if the add is still up it's still for sale" and it has cut down a lot on people asking if I still have it.

It definitely helps. I was specifically referring to the guy who says that and only that, no other information.

I like to open with "I want to come see it, I'm free at these times, let me know when would work for you, here's my phone number if you prefer that to email". I don't want them to write me a novel, just to give me more to go on than asking if it's available. That puts you straight at the bottom of my list.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

And here's one for nice price or crack pipe...
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/4202567990.html

100k invested?!?! :aaaaa:

I wish I was his mechanic. He got milked HARD. Like, "there is an extra digit in here" hard.

I want to know how you put a heim joint in a driveshaft, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You'd think if you were selling a Jeep for 40k you'd either photograph it spotless and gleaming or caked in 3 inches of mud; not with a thin patina of daily driver grime.