Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Guy Gilchrist made or shared no fewer than eight Facebook posts about Phil Everly.

There's no question that a tribute's in our future. The only question is whether Fritzi's tits are going to be involved.

Majestic.

Peanuts (January 8, 1967)

Click the death stare of the flying ace for the Sunday the syndicate skipped.

Funky Winkerbean

Classic Popeye Sunday does not play well with others. (c. 1941)

Pogo, in which Got Your Nose becomes a full-contact sport. (January 4, 1970)

First-Gen Blondie (or "the one I forgot to reintroduce with everything else") is where we rediscover one of America's most inescapable legacy strips through the earlier work of creator Chic Young.

"First-gen" might not have been the best way to describe this one, since the strip that we've tolerated for generations was actually a reboot. Blondie Boopadoop (God give me strength) started her comic strip life as a party girl looking for a sugar daddy, which in 1930 was an overpopulated genre. After a few years of playing the field, she found the guy in Dagwood Bumstead, the son of a industrial titan, and it was a match for the ages. Against his parents' wishes, Dagwood married Blondie in 1933 and they promptly disowned him, meaning that he had to work for the first time in his life. And thus born the strip that refuses to die.

(c. 1940)

Out Our Way (March 10-11, 1924)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

There was a Little King cartoon; Thunderbean have a DVD of it. Any of the vintage cartoon buffs itt own a copy?

I don't have that particular DVD, but I do have other Thunderbean DVDs (the Private Snafu and the Noveltoons). Make no mistake, they're legit stuff. Steve Stanchfield is a godsend for restoring long, forgotten animation, and he should be commended for all the hard work he does.

In short, if you love old animation, get a Thunderbeans DVD.

Here's a Little King cartoon on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smGGfJ3KAC0

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Luann takes a break from Gunther the Emasculate to make a crappy New Year's resolution joke.

Pros and Cons

Sally Forth

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

These days if you picked up two homeless guys to get in the bath, swallow your milky-white soap then get in bed with you and dream about logs people would totally misread that as something sexual.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

- Jameson gets a robot to fight Spider-Man
- Jameson hires a guy who controls the robot remotely, so Spider-Man can't simply take out the controller
- Jameson has to rely orders to the remote control guy while standing in the same location as the fight

Mary Jane is the only competent person in this strip.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Perfection.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

It is a problem. I don't want to post massive, desktop-sized images, but the captions are so tiny.
How about if I link to the full size?

Those oranges are going to go bad so fast crammed together like that.

:stare:

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 5, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Borden, you're a wonder. And that Funky Winkerbean is entirely inaccurate! No way the parents would be allowed to come to the gate without a ticket. :argh:

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

commentary

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Dangit, scarycave, you beat me (so I stole your Trail head for the follow-up :haw:)

e: alternate version (can't believe I didn't see that earlier)

e part 2: haha, woops, I just noticed the jackelrod. Must've used the edit for the source on the other one, too. I had a jillion little windows open in PSP7 at the time...)

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 5, 2014

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Whoops, forgot Friday's comics.

Jim's Journal

You're the one who bought him those plain Cheerios, rear end in a top hat. Karma's a bitch. :smugbert:

Ham Shears

Maybe that's how What's-His-Name's parents got up there too?

Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future

:neckbeard: Title drop!! :neckbeard:

Now, here's what I normally (try to) post on the weekend:

Oor Wullie and The Broons are essentially the national comics of Scotland. Both started on the same day in March of 1936 in The Sunday Post, and have run there ever since. The transliterated brogue may take some getting used to, but I think you'll find creator Dudley Watkins knew his business well enough:

Wullie (Willie) is your classic Scamp archetype. Comics always begin with him sitting on his favorite bucket, and usually end with the same scene, though the events in between sometimes change the location up a bit.

The Broons (Browns?) are a "typical" Scottish family. From left to right in the sixth panel: bookish Horace, toddler the Bairn (never named otherwise), tall and ordinary Hen (short for Henry), local sweetheart Maggie, plain and plump Daphne, tough-but-fair Maw (also never properly named), Wullie-clones the Twins (likewise never named or even seen separately), owner of a donkey cart Bob Soutar (not a member of the family or even a regular as far as I know, but included for clarity), working everyman Paw Broon, and the rough-and-tumble Joe. Ludo appears to be parcheesi by another name.

edit: :doh: I knew I was forgetting something! Classic Wee Pals! It's pretty much just like the other Wee Pals that gets posted here, only it's from way back in 1968 when the strip was still only appearing in four papers nationwide.

...which was also a time when "real white of you" was still a thing people could say without any sort of irony whatsoever.

Bitchtits McGee fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 5, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Echoing this from a few days ago:

CzarChasm posted:

EDIT: Say, speaking of the thread title's namesake, did anyone ever hear back from the birthday wishes that were sent out to Morrie back at the beginning of the month-ish?

I remember at least one really cool tribute Soul Circle from the last thread...I hope it got sent off!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

drat. Could anyone else get away with that in the papers?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Don't stay away for so long, Borden! Excellent work!

Not bad. I'm kinda happy that he's not dragging the dog/shepherd thing out any longer.

Heavenly Nostrils

The species is superior gets a little old after a while, but, regardless, I still smiled.

9 Chickweed Lane 1/5/2003

:stare: Uh, right.

Zits

Nicely done. :)

As do deer, possums, raccoons, and groundhogs.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Talk about music that empowers its fans.
:rimshot:

Calvin And Hobbes

I remember Baldo not being too bad, but it doesn't seem to have aged well.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

Welcome back to the thread, Borden, glad to see you still around :)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Andertoons

:smith:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

With all the effort he spent stretching that to six panels, he could have written an actual joke.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bonestructure posted:

With all the effort he spent stretching that to six panels, he could have written an actual joke.

I figure at this point Nancy is a good 90% clipart.

I don't have anything to support that beyond the white halos they have, but it feels like something Gilchrist would do.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

That vet shouldn't have let the pug lump leave the office.

Wait, is that Puddin'?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

You can see through her hair in panel 2.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Wanamingo posted:

I don't have anything to support that beyond the white halos they have, but it feels like something Gilchrist would do.

They're dead. They are all dead.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Mary Jane is the only competent person in this strip.
Mary Jane is married to Peter Parker. Your hypothesis is false.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (August 5-7, 1926)

Uncle Louie is setting a Charlotte Perkins Gilman story into motion. :tinfoil:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

The Phantom

I feel like we're missing something here.

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-man

Sunday Rip Haywire

Prince Valiant

Classic Prince Valiant

I think this is the first guy to actually give Val a challenge!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

csammis posted:

Echoing this from a few days ago:

I remember at least one really cool tribute Soul Circle from the last thread...I hope it got sent off!

Yup, it and the others and all the good wishes did get sent off to Morrie. I did make a post to that effect right after I sent it, but it was probably easy to miss :)

I put everything in one booklet, packaged it up in a padded envelope, and sent it all to him via his syndicate address. I emailed the syndicate a couple weeks later to confirm that it arrived, but haven't gotten a response from them yet. I'm not going to worry yet, though, since he might have gotten a lot of birthday mail plus there were all the holidays.

(I'll email them again, just to see if we can get confirmation that they got it, though.)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

I feel like we're missing something here.

The "disposable" row had some important exposition this time.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Thorn (August 23 an 26, 1983)

Nina's Adventures (December 6, 1993)

Lucky Cow (February 12-14, 2004)

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

GorfZaplen posted:

The Amazing Spider-man

That "to the letter" feels like Stark deliberately set up some sort of comeuppance for J.J., but still, you'd think it would be kinda bad PR to have one of your suits rampaging around and blasting things. Or Stark's just off the wagon again...

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
It's Tony Stark, he gives zero fucks.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

I hope you don't use that one in school because that's a surefire way to get yourself sent to the school counselor.

Retail

The same reason anyone prefers liquid cash? Also wow someone's a paranoid cynic.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Bleeker, maybe you should just, you know, run away to go live with Lila. Skip probably wouldn't even notice you're gone.

Dustin

"Just kidding, he didn't actually say that. But that was a super sweet contrived burn at Obama, huh?"

On the Fastrack

Bud probably uses unique passwords for every account and they all have numbers and symbols and alt caps in them.

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Totally not Blondie.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Mister Beeg posted:

So this person who thinks that artists should all be able to make a healthy living off their original creative works also thinks that copyrights are evil and should be abolished so that people can freely copy and use others' works without compensation.

:psyduck:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I forget, what happened to Väinämöinen? Did it end or has it just not been posted?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
To be fair, if somebody is standing around outside a store selling you gift cards, you should tell them to bugger off because they are probably empty/not activated and you would have to take one hugeleap of faith on a dude standing around scalping gift cards.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Nipponophile posted:

So this person who thinks that artists should all be able to make a healthy living off their original creative works also thinks that copyrights are evil and should be abolished so that people can freely copy and use others' works without compensation.

Don't forget her "All humans are scum I hate them all" and "why doesn't anyone like me?" comics!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Devi posted:

That vet shouldn't have let the pug lump leave the office.

Wait, is that Puddin'?

You don't mean Puddin'? What're the odds of 2 one-panel strips using the exact same name, down to the folksy abbreviation? Pretty good, I guess.

Wanamingo posted:

Momma

Andertoons

:smith:

Jesus, I see why Anderson spends so much time in the board room if the world outside is so goddamn bleak.
Also, I question what those two dashes are doing in that Momma.

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

"Just kidding, he didn't actually say that. But that was a super sweet contrived burn at Obama, huh?"

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Totally not Blondie.

Barack Obama is the source of all diseases. Like Pandora he opened the box containing "H:obama:pe" but also all the evil in the world. Before he wretched presidency bedeviled the country, America was all in perfect health.
"I'm trying to lead a glutton free life, which is why I'll never see you again Dag, as glutton is a noun describing someone who succumbs to the sin of gluttony, and this is the only way my resolution makes grammatical sense." That's right HLTS, I don't care about your pun, or jokes in general!

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Hurf durf I too cannot separate politics from practicality nor can I imagine it in the mind of another

Nipponophile posted:

You don't deserve an explanation on a plate but I think it's only fair to let you know that you do not understand the economics of intellectual property, nor that an artists approach to monetising their talent - and the related politics - may change over a long period of time. Feel free to pretend that I've bolded some words here for shrill emphasis

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Hurf durf I too cannot separate politics from practicality nor can I imagine it in the mind of another

To be fair, I believe the writer and artist of Dustin are both political cartoonists. I can't remember if they lean more conservative or liberal, though.

e: Steve Kelley, the writer, is a conservative and the artist, Jeff Parker, is a liberal.

Mister Beeg posted:

Apparently Nina's definition of "integrity" is "can't stop whining, ever". I mean, I know Bill Watterson's also hugely anti-merchandising, but at least he didn't devote weeks of Calvin and Hobbes to groaning about it.

And honestly, Nina's commentary wouldn't be so grating to me if it wasn't this perfect storm of eye-rollingly blunt satire wrapped in a blanket of "woe is me".

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 6, 2014

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

You don't deserve an explanation on a plate but I think it's only fair to let you know that you do not understand the economics of intellectual property, nor that an artists approach to monetising their talent - and the related politics - may change over a long period of time. Feel free to pretend that I've bolded some words here for shrill emphasis

Ha ha ha, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLz7CKg6poA

Since people are posting animated renditions of The Little King, I thought people might be interested in this. It's a 1936 crossover short with Betty Boop. I saw this LOOOOONG before I ever knew that the Little King was a separate comic strip character.

• Locked thread