Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

computer parts posted:

Season 1 of Fringe is kind of a "weird stuff happens and midway through here's a villain to satisfy you". Seasons 2 & 3 have a clear result that they're building to, so most people like those the best. Season 4 changes a lot, but I personally like it a lot as you have characters rediscovering each other. Season 5 goes off the rails and is only 12 episodes, but it's pretty great.

In general, the series suffers from not pacing plot lines too well, but it's really great for character moments.

My wife and I, desperate for a new show after Homeland and Masters of Sex just wrapped, started watching Fringe tonight. We watched the first two episodes, and we were both hooked about halfway through the pilot. I've had it on my radar for years, and even though I keep hearing Season 1 is a slog, I'm looking forward to getting to all the great stuff.

So far Fringe feels like the show Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (which I have been watching unenthusiastically) desperately wants to be, mixed with dashes of Lost (for the teases of ongoing mysteries) and X-Files (which I haven't watched since it first aired, but Fringe seems to be better-paced so far). It also reminds me a little of Warren Ellis' brilliant comic book series Planetary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Finished Hello Ladies in less than 24 hours. Really good show with the perfect amount of cringe humour and heart. Felt like a spiritual successor to The Inbetweeners. While the show is really funny it got more sad than funny as it went on. :smith: And for those worried if it gets a second season or not to watch and start it- it ends satisfying enough where if there is no second season I would be content.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Just started Orphan Black with the wife last night. It's pretty great. We also watched all of the Almost Human episodes so far. It's okay, but I think it has the potential to be great.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Daktari posted:

I stopped with Skins after season 4 or 5. Does anyone recommend the latter seasons?
While not as great as before it's worth finishing the last 2 seasons, if you do decide to skip that generation give season 7 a chance. Especially Skins Rise.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

Finished Hello Ladies in less than 24 hours. Really good show with the perfect amount of cringe humour and heart. Felt like a spiritual successor to The Inbetweeners. While the show is really funny it got more sad than funny as it went on. :smith: And for those worried if it gets a second season or not to watch and start it- it ends satisfying enough where if there is no second season I would be content.

I almost bailed on Hello Ladies because the first 2-3 episodes were all cringe and no heart but it got really good by the finale.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

bobkatt013 posted:

In the first season look in the background and its there. The second season is also by far the weakest and has the two worst episodes of the reboot in a row.

Which ones?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CaptainHollywood posted:

Does Merchant's character ever become more than a cliched selfish prick who would gently caress over his friends at a moment's notice? That was what really killed the show for me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Farecoal posted:

Which ones?

Love and Monsters and Fear Her.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can put me on the side that kind of likes Love and Monsters. I think the overall story they're trying to tell is super interesting, and I don't really like the stupid monster/pavement blowjob parts but they don't ruin the majority of the episode for me. After Fear Her, I'd argue "The Idiot's Lantern", again from season 2, is up there as the worst of the pre-Smith seasons*. It's the only time Mark Gatiss' writing has crossed the line from aggressively mediocre to actively lovely.

*"A Good Man Goes To War", duh

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006

Bown posted:

Does Merchant's character ever become more than a cliched selfish prick who would gently caress over his friends at a moment's notice? That was what really killed the show for me.

Yes, but it is kind of a spoiler (if a rather obvious one)

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So Christmas from my family has landed me with the following to watch;

-Monty Python Complete Series (with movies too) I highly look forward to this, but not sure how I feel about binging it.
-Sliders Complete Series.
-Midsomer Murders Season 1-10, which as I understand it, is around half of the show?
We threw Midsomer Murders on in the evening and watched a few episodes. Seems like a good show, but I am thinking it too may be a watch a bit at a time deal.

Looking forward to watching (non-pirated) Sliders again in one go. That show was so unappreciated in my country.

On the subject of old great shows, I remember Dark Angel being good. Might get that partway through the new year if its somewhere nearby for cheap.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I got this box set with all nine seasons (and both movies) of The X-Files for Christmas, so that's what I'll be going through next.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I decided to watch all of Futurama on Netflix. I had seen almost all of the episodes of the old series before, but never in any particular order since I didn't watch it consistently when it aired. Then when the new episodes started I watched the first new season but nothing after that.

It was nice to see the progression through the original series, but I'm still so confused by the writing on the new seasons. Some episodes are so good and some are so bad that I really have no idea how the same writing staff can produce both types. It gets better as they moved into the last few seasons and stopped doing topical humor in a show set 1000 years in the future. It's a shame it ended again, but I liked the last group of episode. I think they sent it off well this time, and the last episode was very satisfying.

Amplicon
Apr 27, 2011

Captain Obvious

Trig Discipline posted:

Last Chance to See. Probably better if you've read the book, but awesome regardless.

Wait! There is a series of this....
Thanks for that heads up. It's one of my more favourite books of DNA.
You just made my day.

Amplicon fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 28, 2013

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Amplicon posted:

Thanks for that heads up. It's one of my more favourite books of DNA.

Mine too. It's partly responsible for my becoming a biologist.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Recently I've been rewatching Red Dwarf and man, this show. Rimmer is by far my favorite character and really, as much as the show seems to be about Lister and how he deals with being the last human, it's really all about Rimmer. Arnold Rimmer is one of the most tragic characters I've ever encountered. Lister may be the last human, Cat may be the last of the Cat People, and Krichton is a messed up android trying to find his place, but Rimmer? Rimmer is the guy at the end of the universe who no one likes.

It's loving depressing, is what it is. I just want something to go Rimmer's way for once. :(

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

empty sea posted:

Recently I've been rewatching Red Dwarf and man, this show. Rimmer is by far my favorite character and really, as much as the show seems to be about Lister and how he deals with being the last human, it's really all about Rimmer. Arnold Rimmer is one of the most tragic characters I've ever encountered. Lister may be the last human, Cat may be the last of the Cat People, and Krichton is a messed up android trying to find his place, but Rimmer? Rimmer is the guy at the end of the universe who no one likes.

It's loving depressing, is what it is. I just want something to go Rimmer's way for once. :(

But Rimmer is a dick who knows he's a dick. Just keep watching.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

empty sea posted:

He's got almost no redeeming quality. Which makes him amazingly awesome. Loved Red Dwarf up until season 7, then it was a bit iffy. Though I do recommend the latest season, season 10 (the ninth season)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd completely forgotten until I rewatched it recently that season five is pretty much the Rimmer season; he's the only character who's the focus of more than one episode in that series ("Holoship" and "Terrorform") and he has some great moments in others ("Yes, I admit I'm nothing, but from what I started with, nothing is up," in "The Inquisitor" and the revelation in "Back To Reality" that the one thing he fears more than anything else, the one thing that would drive him so deeply into despair that he'd kill himself, is not being able to blame his parents for all his failures).

Then, in season six, it looks a bit like they might try to redeem him; maybe that would've continued throughout season seven if Chris Barrie hadn't left early on.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Spiteski posted:

He's got almost no redeeming quality. Which makes him amazingly awesome.

The fact that Rimmer has no redeeming qualities is sort of what makes it so depressing. All he'd have to do is stop being such a dick but he can't, he's incapable of doing it. We met Ace, the audience knows what Rimmer could've been, but he'll never be anything more than a smeghead.

Though, on rewatch, the episode with the prison really makes me question just how the crew of Red Dwarf died. No way Rimmer would've been responsible for all their lives, he's a futuristic vending machine repair man...or a fish. If Rimmer's incompetence didn't kill the crew, who did?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Starting this weekend I'm going to take on Dark Shadows. I bought myself the complete series super-mega box set for Christmas.

One hundred thirty-one DVDs - 1,225 episodes. I figure I'll watch 5-6 episodes a day (20-22 minutes each), so it'll be around June before I finish. The first 210 episodes might be tough since that's how long it takes for the legendary vampire Barnabas Collins to show up (gently caress Johnny Depp).

Amazingly, all but one episode exists in either its original videotape master or B&W kinescope. The missing episode was reconstructed using a fan sourced audiotape and still photographs.

Things to look for:

Bad dialogue
Scenery chewing
Flubbed lines
Shaky sets
Visible crew members and equipment

Forgot to add:

Werewolves
Ghosts
Zombies
Witches
Time travel
Alternate timelines

I can't wait.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 2, 2014

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

Starting this weekend I'm going to take on Dark Shadows. I bought myself the complete series super-mega box set for Christmas.

One hundred thirty-one DVDs - 1,225 episodes. I figure I'll watch 5-6 episodes a day (20-22 minutes each), so it'll be around June before I finish. The first 210 episodes might be tough since that's how long it takes for the legendary vampire Barnabas Collins to show up (gently caress Johnny Depp).

Amazingly, all but one episode exists in either its original videotape master or B&W kinescope. The missing episode was reconstructed using a fan sourced audiotape and still photographs.

Things to look for:

Bad dialogue
Scenery chewing
Flubbed lines
Shaky sets
Visible crew members and equipment

Forgot to add:

Werewolves
Ghosts
Zombies
Witches
Time travel
Alternate timelines

I can't wait.

:stare:

I'm still burning through Midsomer Murders, and I thought 10 seasons at 100 odd episodes was a shitload. Good luck man.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Catching up on Person of Interest now. We're near the end of season 1. It got off to a slow start, but is beginning to get interesting.

Furiously
Jan 4, 2014

...and Furiously as The Beagle.
Doing the same myself. I think Person of Interest gets a lot better in the second season. So keep with it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Got Spartacus on Bluray for Christmas for 50 bucks. Time for a rewatch. :hist101:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

empty sea posted:

The fact that Rimmer has no redeeming qualities is sort of what makes it so depressing. All he'd have to do is stop being such a dick but he can't, he's incapable of doing it. We met Ace, the audience knows what Rimmer could've been, but he'll never be anything more than a smeghead.

Though, on rewatch, the episode with the prison really makes me question just how the crew of Red Dwarf died. No way Rimmer would've been responsible for all their lives, he's a futuristic vending machine repair man...or a fish. If Rimmer's incompetence didn't kill the crew, who did?

Maybe it's a butterfly effect: Rimmer's failure to properly sanitize a vending machine lead to a crewmember falling ill, leading to their temporary replacement being ill-prepared to handle the situation that lead to the crew dying.

But I thought the prison episode also dealt with Rimmer's overinflated sense of self-importance where he'd naturally assume that he HAS to have some hand in the affair.

I might need to dig out one of the Red Dwarf novels as it has a section devoted towards events that lead up to the radiation leak that eventually kills everyone, but I think it came down to mostly a complete freak accident.

If you've never read it, I sort of recommend the Red Dwarf novel, "Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers." I actually prefer a lot of the depictions of things in that to the real series, and they do a pretty good job of jumping the story forwards pretty quickly, reimagining a few of the episodes, getting Kryten into the crew earlier, and giving a lot of additional background on Dave and Rimmer to really help it be its own thing and flesh out their characters more than the TV show was able to do.

How they handle Better Than Life in the novel, for example, is a change I personally found to be for the better, as it is able to take the concept and play with it in a way that the TV series couldn't afford to.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 4, 2014

Ero
Jun 18, 2006
Started scandal last night. About halfway through s2 today and its not half bad! Not the type of show I normally watch.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Furiously posted:

Doing the same myself. I think Person of Interest gets a lot better in the second season. So keep with it.

Me too, just started S3. It definitely improves in the second season, especially toward the end. I'd not put it in my top ten favourite TV shows but most definitely in my top twenty, if I were ever to bother making such a list (I never will).

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I watched Les Revenants / The Returned and it's every bit as beautiful as everyone said it would be. The story delved a bit too much into 'why did the dead come back' and not in the much more compelling 'what happens when the dead come back' towards the end but it was enthralling to watch every moment. Everyone was very good but the young actors playing Lena, Camille, Victor and Chloe were such a fresh breath of air, showing what you can do if you write good roles for kids.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Yeah PoI watchers, if you're in Season 1 and enjoying it well enough absolutely keep going. Once you get to around the final third of Season 2 the show starts to ramp up and hasn't really slowed down since.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I've been speeding through Parks and Recreation and I'm loving it. I can definitely feel the involvement of the Office staff, but it's still got its own charm, and the characters are brilliantly written. Nearly finished series 3 now, hoping it doesn't pull Office levels of deterioration over the rest

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Greyish Orange posted:

Nearly finished series 3 now, hoping it doesn't pull Office levels of deterioration over the rest

As it stands, it hasn't. Season 4 is the best season of the series. There's not so much a dip in quality in Season 5/6 but the arc in season 4 is just incredibly well-done that it's hard to match.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hcreight posted:

Yeah PoI watchers, if you're in Season 1 and enjoying it well enough absolutely keep going. Once you get to around the final third of Season 2 the show starts to ramp up and hasn't really slowed down since.

We're four eps into season 2 right now, and as it is the quality difference between these episodes and early season 1 is pretty amazing.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Leverage. On season 5 right now.

Everytime I see the british chick I keep thinking of "pardon my tits" from Dexter.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
To fill a recent all-nighter, I watched The League - the first season and about three eps of the second. I don't care about the American football stuff, I CANNOT tell the married guy apart from the divorced guy, I like Ruxin, I just feel bad for the bald guy...There's some good jokes in it, but so far the second season has not been as good as the first, which is a bit weird. Not sure if I should keep going...

I also watched the first four episodes of Freaks and Geeks (having heard so many good things) and it threw me because I was expecting a twenty minute sitcom. It seemed at first like a competently written, broad-reaching show that gave a more authentic account of school with some strong characerisation...But it's already devolved into clichéd high school dramaz. Wondering if I should keep watching that too? Is it just popular because it stood out at the time?

What's the general take on these shows?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've in Season 3 of the X-Files and after a starter of really heavy episodes they gave us a treat of 2 sillier episodes.

I kind of wish they would have just made the show like that, but what would they parody? I hope they did more of them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

VagueRant posted:

To fill a recent all-nighter, I watched The League - the first season and about three eps of the second. I don't care about the American football stuff, I CANNOT tell the married guy apart from the divorced guy, I like Ruxin, I just feel bad for the bald guy...There's some good jokes in it, but so far the second season has not been as good as the first, which is a bit weird. Not sure if I should keep going...

I also watched the first four episodes of Freaks and Geeks (having heard so many good things) and it threw me because I was expecting a twenty minute sitcom. It seemed at first like a competently written, broad-reaching show that gave a more authentic account of school with some strong characerisation...But it's already devolved into clichéd high school dramaz. Wondering if I should keep watching that too? Is it just popular because it stood out at the time?

What's the general take on these shows?

Season 1/2 of the League are kind of weak in comparison to the later episodes, but it really picks up near the end of season 2 and 3 is just nuts. 4 gets even better and season 5 had some of my all time favorite shows. You need to watch the show if you're new to it though, not have it playing in the background while occupied with some other work.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

pentyne posted:

You need to watch the show if you're new to it though, not have it playing in the background while occupied with some other work.
Um, why is this? Because I definitely had the show going in the background. (While sailing around and stabbing dudes in Assassin's Creed IV)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Season 1/2 of the League are kind of weak in comparison to the later episodes, but it really picks up near the end of season 2 and 3 is just nuts. 4 gets even better and season 5 had some of my all time favorite shows. You need to watch the show if you're new to it though, not have it playing in the background while occupied with some other work.

Weird, I would say it was exactly the opposite. The wife and I really liked the first few seasons, but we've found the last two to be almost completely unwatchable. It's still funny in spurts, but it's mostly become a string of monkey cheese bullshit with such painfully obvious setups that it's barely tolerable enough to watch it for those few funny bits. We're right on the edge of stopping watching it entirely.

I mean to each their own, and I'm not trying to talk you out of enjoying it, but we've just found recent seasons so bad that it's surprising to me that someone else thinks it's getting better.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

Weird, I would say it was exactly the opposite...

Same here. Out of the last season I think only the Dirty Randy and Rafi episode was solid. The rest were pretty meh with some good moments.