Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, American Hustle enjoys playing with themes but has little desire to actually engage with any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's Amy Adams' turn, dammit!

Her performance was technically proficient but I thought she was too mannered and acting too much, she never really became the character but you could always see Amy Adams shining through, playing a part. J-Law really disappeared into her role and actually became the character, like for instance Daniel Day-Lewis always does in his movies as well.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I spent way too long trying to figure out what movie you people were talking about because I couldn't find anything that said Jude Law was in American Hustle.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
You guys didn't laugh riotously at Amy Adams terrible British accent, Christian Bale's amazing combover, or Bradley Cooper's hundred tiny hair rollers every time they were on screen? The movie was hilarious. Did you also think The Wolf of Wall Street was a sobering look at the effects of quaaludes on businessmen?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It was funny but not riotously funny.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Adams' accent was pretty freaking hilarious.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Amazon Prime Video might have some TV shows that Netflix doesn't have but my god does it have a terrible loving interface on the PS3.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

It was funny but not riotously funny.

Excuse me? Several audience members at my theatre tore their theatre chairs out and threw them at the screen because they couldn't stop laughing. Armored cops arrived and pepper sprayed them until they calmed down.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

muscles like this? posted:

Amazon Prime Video might have some TV shows that Netflix doesn't have but my god does it have a terrible loving interface on the PS3.

None of the Netflix competitors seem to understand how to make an interface/experience/brand as nice as Netflix.

Something about Amazon Instant, from its design to its interface, just screams rushed copy to me, and they haven't done anything to move away from that image.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Netflix isn't so good at having an interface as good as Netflix themselves.

They have a bunch over different devices and some are awful.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I rather like Google Play, at least on my tablet, but their selection isn't anywhere near as good as Amazon's, especially for older TV.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

LG's Netflix application is the most tedious I've encountered, though I cherish the TV.

The best I've encountered on any interface is on Windows 8.x, which I don't think could be more fluid or succinct.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Exactly. And their Windows 8 app is shite and never works.

PriorMarcus posted:

None of the Netflix competitors seem to understand how to make an interface/experience/brand as nice as Netflix.

Something about Amazon Instant, from its design to its interface, just screams rushed copy to me, and they haven't done anything to move away from that image.
I will never understand why HBO still haven't released a PS3 "app". I don't know how they expect me to watch it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, I don't get it. The web interface is great, why are almost all of the app-based ones such garbage?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Amazon web interface isn't as good as the iOS app. It's just as good as the Netflix app IMO.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ufarn posted:

I will never understand why HBO still haven't released a PS3 "app". I don't know how they expect me to watch it.

I believe the HBO Go console app is an exclusivity thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

soapgish posted:

LG's Netflix application is the most tedious I've encountered, though I cherish the TV.

The best I've encountered on any interface is on Windows 8.x, which I don't think could be more fluid or succinct.

What year LG? Mine's a 2013 and it's the old interface my PS3 used to have: Rows upon rows of categories with ~75 items each.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ufarn posted:

I actually really like Netflix's Windows 8 app. My only complaints are that I haven't found a way to view a list of individual episodes of a show without starting an episode first and that even super HD is apparently only 720p (which I think is true for all their interfaces, but it's only really noticeable on my desktop because it's the only 1080p screen I have).

ufarn
May 30, 2009

I believe the HBO Go console app is an exclusivity thing.
From what I could gather, it's an Xbox exclusive or some BS.

Lot of good that will do them, when the people outside the U.S. want to watch HBO.

lelandjs posted:

I actually really like Netflix's Windows 8 app. My only complaints are that I haven't found a way to view a list of individual episodes of a show without starting an episode first and that even super HD is apparently only 720p (which I think is true for all their interfaces, but it's only really noticeable on my desktop because it's the only 1080p screen I have).
Oh, I definitely love the app as well - when it works. It just keeps breaking and giving me the same useless error code, which is apparently due to a sound driver.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you really want to watch HBO Go on your TV the Chromecast device does it now.

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV
Helix thread (Ron Moore's The Thing on Syfy) is up. I'll fill in more details (reviews, etc.) as they come in through the week.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I just watched the first episode of Dante's Cove with TVIV favorite STEPHEN AMELL and that was pretty much the most horrifying thing I've ever seen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Palooka posted:

Helix thread (Ron Moore's The Thing on Syfy) is up. I'll fill in more details (reviews, etc.) as they come in through the week.

Misreading this post made me really sad that SciFi didn't at least attempt the (probably terrible) Thing sequel miniseries that was written in the 90s.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

All of the console interfaces are terrible for Amazon Prime. It doesn't help that they mix prime stuff and their regular streaming stuff together willy-nilly.

Of course no one is as bad as the Youtube console interfaces. I'm pretty sure what they came up with is some kind of war crime.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So how many Adult Swim threads did we manage to have last night? :allears:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Rarity posted:

So how many Adult Swim threads did we manage to have last night? :allears:

There was, for a brief period, four different threads because Gitmo Moneyson started a new thread and didn't close the other one immediately.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
It was like their only wish after they die is to be remembered as the creator of an Adult Swim thread on the Something Awful forums

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Random Stranger posted:

All of the console interfaces are terrible for Amazon Prime. It doesn't help that they mix prime stuff and their regular streaming stuff together willy-nilly.

Well to be fair, Amazon Prime is trash even on Amazon's web site.

"Hey, you get to stream all this stuff for free with Amazon Prime!!*"

* "free" only applies to randomly selected episodes in randomly selected seasons of certain shows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I recently got Prime and I was a little surprised by how little there actually was. Still, I there seems to be a healthy amount and I feel like my year's cost gets paid pretty quickly if I watch a couple of dozen movies or 1 or 2 shows that I didn't have to rent or buy on DVD. But I don't know if I'll feel there's enough to renew in a year.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

As far as TV goes Prime is nearly identical to Netflix. But Prime also has Downton Abbey, Sarah Connor Chronicles and all the Stargates and The Good Wife, and Awkward.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Prime has the entirety of Cheers and Frasier, and is therefore worth it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Don't forget Justified!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Palooka posted:

I wonder how many episodes he'll make it before every episode is an exploration of what God eats on a Tuesday, and the most popular female character is killed.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 5, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I can't wait for the series to draw me in with compelling mysteries and an exciting plot only to be told that both don't matter because the its actually about 'the characters.'

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 5, 2014

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah I've got some trepidation about any new sci-fi show as well. I wish it didn't have to be this way but I'm a product of my past experiences.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Mid season network schedule thread is up! It is as accurate as I could make it, though with some miniseries coming up and then Spring replacements after that I did the best I could.

Edit: for instance three weeks ago Crossbones was on the schedule and now I can't find it anywhere :iiam:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I can't wait for the series to draw me in with compelling mysteries and an exciting plot only to be told that both don't matter because the its actually about 'the characters.'

What's a compelling mystery? "Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?" Who, me? Yes, you. Couldn't be! Then who????

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I wonder how many episodes he'll make it before every episode is an exploration of what God eats on a Tuesday, and the most popular female character is killed.

The cylons scientists have a plan. God did it cured them. One of the lead characters comes back as an angel an angel.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

DivisionPost posted:

Don't forget Justified!

I didn't. :smug: Currently almost done rewatching the first season!

Justified's dialogue is so loving fun even when it's serious. I love this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finished watching Rectify yesterday. and yes, precision oversold it. But barely.

It was loving fantastic. At first I was slightly disappointed because I thought the whole show was gonna be super ethereal and weird - basically, like the scenes with the goatman in episode 5 the whole way through - but it won me over pretty easily by being incredibly real and incredibly beautiful - I especially liked Tawney, who could have been a very cliched character in less talented hands. The last episode brought out feelings of grief and rage in me that TV is only usually capable of bringing out once every couple years. Not sure if it would have made it into my top 10 of 2013 but if not it would have been literally just outside of it, and I'm so glad we're getting more this year.

• Locked thread