Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
My mother works with a lady named Piñata, who surprisingly is not a victim of domestic abuse.

The rest of the treasure trove comes from former classmates of mine that popped out kids within the past few years: Bentli, Haven, Clea, Jaxson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

James Trickington posted:

Clients of my workplace:

Kevin and Barbara Knipple
Mark Whitehead

I have a woman coworker whose middle name is Xavier. We validated this by carding her. Her first and last names are completely normal.

No poo poo, I know an Amanda who named her children Aeris and Vincent. She is highly unstable and recently has begun to contend with her own mother for custody of those children. Oh and her (soon-to-be-ex-) husband is ~15 years her junior.

At least Vincent is a real name and Aeris sounds like it could be a real name...although it sounds like she has more problems than just naming her kids dumbassed things.

My friend here in Korea apparently has a name that sounds similar to the word "loving" in Korean, according to something her coworkers told her, but I've asked Korean friends of mine and they don't know.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I run into a lot of fairly unusual last names in my line of work but my personal favorite will always be EverybodyTalksAbout. It's not an uncommon last in some Native American tribes but there's nothing like having a kid with a grandpa who's name is Dick Everybodytalksabout.

Aside from that it's mostly people in my family naming their kids stuff like Peace Sundancer, Freedom Butterfly (both are boys by the way) or, for some reason, Yakima.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

jojoinnit posted:

Was so weirded out by that I forgot to ask what game Selphie is from
Final Fantasy 8

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Have just met someone with twin daughters named Prague and Pagan.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
How did they pronounce "Prague"?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

made of bees posted:

I'm imagining like the city, but perhaps like some depressing mix of Prego and Ragu?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

sweeperbravo posted:

I'm imagining like the city, but perhaps like some depressing mix of Prego and Ragu?

I was thinking "Prayg".

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Isn't Ransom the name of one of the main characters of C. S. Lewis' Space Trilogy? I feel like it really is a legitimate name.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Axiem posted:

Isn't Ransom the name of one of the main characters of C. S. Lewis' Space Trilogy? I feel like it really is a legitimate name.

It is also the name of the money one pays to have a hostage released unharmed.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Never noticed a section of I-95N in MD is named for a fallen state trooper.
Trooper First Class Shaft Hunter.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Brooklyn and Naythyn among first baby names of 2014.

quote:

The Y's have it in 2014, if the first baby names of the year are anything to go on.

Brooklyn, Layla, Rylee and Naythyn were among the first babies born in the United States on New Year's Eve, according to baby-naming website Name Candy, which tracks the first babies in each state. Naythyn, born at 12:09 a.m., hails from Oregon, while Rylee (a boy) was born at 6:34 a.m. in West Virginia. Layla is the year's first North Dakotan with a 2:51 a.m. birth time. The New Year welcomed two new Brooklyns, one at 12:03 a.m. in Colorado and another in Maryland at 12:07 a.m.

Other Y-heavy names include Adilyn, born in Nebraska, and Maya, the first new Kentucky resident of the year.

The names represent the diversity of kids' monikers, with only Brooklyn showing up more than once, and none of the names appearing in the national top 10 for 2013. Baby names have become increasingly diverse. In the early 1900s, about 5 percent of babies were given the No. 1 name of their birth year; today, the top name is shared by only about 1 percent of new bundles of joy. [Sophia's Secret: The 10 Most Popular Baby Names]

God drat it, white people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Adilyn, new from Pfizer.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So did the parents just like Lynyrd Skynyrd way too much, or what?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The McDonalds next to my old job had a girl working there named "Destannie" (Destiny).

I learned later, by way of her mom yelling at her, that she had a sister named "Desire" (spelling unknown). I had a little :psyduck: over at my table while I sipped my bad coffee.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

paragon1 posted:

So did the parents just like Lynyrd Skynyrd way too much, or what?

I think people just aesthetically like shoving Y's into things. Consider "wymyn," and "magyck." It makes things seem a little more old fashioned, fancy, refined.
It also makes it look like they based the spelling of their kids name on what letters they could find in their bowl of Alphabit cereal v:shobon:v But I'll know for sure on that when we see a "Yunyque."

edit: A girl I'm friends with on Facebook just posted about her new nephew, "Maverik Jax."

sweeperbravo has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Jan 4, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Worst name ever.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

deadly_pudding posted:

The McDonalds next to my old job had a girl working there named "Destannie" (Destiny).

I learned later, by way of her mom yelling at her, that she had a sister named "Desire" (spelling unknown). I had a little :psyduck: over at my table while I sipped my bad coffee.

Maybe their parents were massive Neil Gaiman fans?

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Axiem posted:

I'm pretty sure its the name of the cabin boy in Robert Louis Stevenson's Kidnapped. IIRC he's constantly drunk and then gets killed.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
Ransom is also the name of the founder of Oldsmobile. It's kind of strange, but I think it counts as a name at this point.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Say Nothing posted:

Worst name ever.

If I were to rewrite "A Boy Named Sue" for the modern era, it'd be titled "The Ballad of Fagley Dork".

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

All on Black posted:

Ransom is also the name of the founder of Oldsmobile. It's kind of strange, but I think it counts as a name at this point.

Also Ransom Love, the guy who founded Caldera or SCO or whichever company it was before the litigants took over.
:goonsay:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/2014-01-01/covenant-welcomes-sounique-miracle-first-baby-2014#.UsjvpPQW0iO

yikes posted:

The Randle family has a “Unique Miracle,” and Covenant Health System has its first 2014 baby.

So’Unique Miracle Randle entered the world at 12:43 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 1, weighing 7 pounds, 12 ounces.

Her proud parents, Jesse Randle and Theresa Limon, can’t wait to watch their New Year’s baby live up to her name, and have already selected her career path. After noticing how well she handled attention from A-J Media and other news entities, they know So’Unique will make a great reporter someday.

“I guess we’ll get her ready for a career in media,” Limon said. “She’s a little diva.”

Randle and Limon weren’t really expecting a New Year’s baby. So’Unique was not due until Jan. 12, but unexpectedly arrived early.

“She wanted to make a big-bang entrance,” Limon said.

Mother and baby were resting in Covenant’s maternity ward. So’Unique is mild tempered so far.

“She’s a sweet little happy baby,” Limon said.

So’Unique has two big sisters, 1-year-old Saphire and 15-year-old Violet, and a host of extended family.

And the other first babies of 2014/last babies of 2013, same town:

Garon

Heavenly

Aniston

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like a fake name an email scammer would use.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.838451-My-daughter-is-named-TaliZorah-Are-we-crazy

lol, nerds are the worst parents.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I keep wondering what keeps happening when when this generation grows older and older. This is one glimpse I suppose.

Think about it, you are going to end up locked up in the same building with these people. Right now if you visit a retirement homes you only have to put up with post-WWII radio shows being played every day, because that's what old people liked when they were young. You think you grow chill about these things by the time you are like eighty, but I bet I'll be more pissed than ever when some old creepy bastard (whose kids never visit because he named them "Tali'Zorah" or some poo poo) insist on watching their lovely animes on the common room TV.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

bringmyfishback posted:

http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/2014-01-01/covenant-welcomes-sounique-miracle-first-baby-2014#.UsjvpPQW0iO

And the other first babies of 2014/last babies of 2013, same town:

Garon

Heavenly

Aniston

So'Unique is the best name out of those four.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Axiem posted:

The kid in the house behind us when I was growing up was named Ransom Paul but he always went by R.P., his older brother was named Coridon. It's funny how the names never seemed odd until it was posted here.

Elohssa Gib has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Jan 5, 2014

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

made of bees posted:

Like the city.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

One of the responses to that was "Ehh, no you're not crazy. my friends have a daughter named Rainbow Dash." :barf:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Predicting a significant upswing in child on parent murders 10-15 years from now.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

At what age can a person legally change their name? Because I imagine in that many year's a lot of that will be going on.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Renzuko posted:

At what age can a person legally change their name? Because I imagine in that many year's a lot of that will be going on.

Here in Ontario it's 18 (16 with parental consent or a court order). Also apparently you have to get your child's written permission to change their name if they're 12 or older, just in case some parent thinks Tali'Zorah isn't unique enough and wants to fix their teen's name.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tali and Zora(h) are both actual names, so they could just do first and middle and at least the kid isn't stuck with that.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I had a classmate in middle and high school who had her name legally changed when she was pretty little, like 6 or 7, from Latice to Takiyah (not sure on the spelling because I can't remember, don't have my yearbook, and she's got herself listed on Facebook under a nickname). I think that she said her mom wanted a more Afrocentric name.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I had a classmate in middle and high school who had her name legally changed when she was pretty little, like 6 or 7, from Latice to Takiyah (not sure on the spelling because I can't remember, don't have my yearbook, and she's got herself listed on Facebook under a nickname). I think that she said her mom wanted a more Afrocentric name.

I had a classmate in primary school whose surname was legally changed when he was about 10 (from his father's surname to his mother's).

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I love how every time nerd parents announce their naming their kid after a uniquely named game or cartoon character or whatever, they then immediately try to back pedal, saying it's "not necessarily named after that, we just love the name." not realizing they're already backed against the wall.

True confession, my son doesn't have a "weird" name, but his first name his mother was naming after a famous cult movie character. I just liked the full version of the name (which doesn't match the character) and he doesn't use the nickname now anyways.
His middle name is also an acceptable name that actually comes from a comic character but I have no shame there.
I don't feel comfortable sharing it with you all.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Well now my brain is just going to assume you gave your child one of the worst names possible, you horrible monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Choco1980 posted:

True confession, my son doesn't have a "weird" name, but his first name his mother was naming after a famous cult movie character. I just liked the full version of the name (which doesn't match the character) and he doesn't use the nickname now anyways.
His middle name is also an acceptable name that actually comes from a comic character but I have no shame there.
I don't feel comfortable sharing it with you all.

How can you live with yourself giving your child a name like Tommy-Wiseau Aquaman.