Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Are there any inventory glitches that work in Biomod? I saved up a bunch of mods for the special sniper rifle in Paris, but I just can't hold all those limes mods as well as the stuff I need.

(I'd reminisce about the inventory system in IW, that treated the Rocket launcher as the equivalent of a snickers bar, but that kinda sucked as well. HR supermacy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
just gon' leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzvw8uSWucM

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHEJ6fURMUg

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lEelz0iUJo

Oh wait, that's not what we're doing here? Err...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2YWH2XN83Q

Is that better?

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Hey I'm coming into this thread to defend IW again. The whole NG Resonance thing was super cool and Eliza Cassan in DE3 is just a lovely rehash. And the female Alex had a great voice actor. Anyway, peace.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Little Blue Couch posted:

Hey I'm coming into this thread to defend IW again. The whole NG Resonance thing was super cool and Eliza Cassan in DE3 is just a lovely rehash. And the female Alex had a great voice actor. Anyway, peace.
That reminds me - I should do a video of the various NG outcomes when you get back to Cairo. It's... one of those ideas that sound better in theory than they work in practice (very much like most of IW) but still fun.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Shamelessly stolen from a youtube video:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Female Alex does have a great VA... giving one of the worst performances in her career.

Of course, don't much blame her. The dialog for Alex D has pretty much no personality. You play as a chump with no loyalty or interest in the world around them. NG Resonance is kinda cool, but it stands out more because almost nothing else even gets a moment's attention except on the level of "poo poo this is dumb."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Male Alex is blandly :smug:. Female Alex is bland to the point of :downs:

"Am I about to get jumped" should be read with some intonation that isn't genuinely clueless curiosity.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The whole NG Resonance thing was super cool and Eliza Cassan in DE3 is just a lovely rehash.

NG resonance was in turn just a rehash of the Daedalus/Icarus/Helios AIs from the original. At this point having a mysterious ally turn out to be an AI is a recurring element of the franchise and I would be more surprised if Eliza wasn't an AI.

Xander77 posted:

Male Alex is blandly :smug:.

:smug: I would love to be your towel boy.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 30, 2013

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Also, the Omar in Trier spawns endless multi-tools if you purchase some while your inventory is full.
I know that post was a while ago, but what follows is just a beautiful example of DX:IW's wonkery and I just gotta post it.

See, in DX:IW you've got two kinds of multi-tools. They work identically and look identical. For some weird fuckin' reason, though, they don't stack. Let's call them A and B. Some multi-tools you can find are A, some are B - there seems to be no rhythm or reason to that. (off the top of my head, I seem to remember the one you can find on a shelf near the elevator in the Seattle hotel-ish place being a different type than the ones you can find up to this point).

That's not even the bad part, though. See, the problem is, if you've got the maximum of both - 20 in each stack, so 40 in total - trying to pick up another one does seemingly nothing. Notice I said 'seemingly'? Well, what it actually does is spawn a copy in a spot in the map. Every single time you click on it trying to pick it up. (if you've got the game laying around and want to test it out - in the church in Lower Seattle the spawning spot is in the middle of the main room, and in the Upper Seattle hotel (Emerald Suites, I think?) it's on the roof - near the place with the shotgun bot).

These multi-tools spawn in the same spot, but when you nudge it, they explode into a giant goddamn physics enabled pile. You can literally swim in multi-tools if you so desire.

I've had some screens laying around, but they got corrupted and then lost. I'm gonna try to boot up the game and take some screens/make a .gif/maybe even a Youtube video for y'all later on today just to showcase this 'cause it's just such a goddamn bizarre thing.

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

M.Ciaster posted:

These multi-tools spawn in the same spot, but when you nudge it, they explode into a giant goddamn physics enabled pile. You can literally swim in multi-tools if you so desire.

This is the first good thing I have heard about Invisible War.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Poppleganger posted:

This is the first good thing I have heard about Invisible War.

Well... there's also that Magrail gun? I thought that was kinda cool.

And I liked the Omar dudes. Black market Russian cyborgs, what's not to like? (they were also, as someone else mentioned earlier, the most relatable and sympathetic faction in the game)

Oh and the NG Resonance thing was kinda interesting I guess.

DX:IW is hot garbage don't play it

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
By far, the worst thing about invisible war was the CONSTANT loading screens. Loading screens everywhere!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Never forget that IW let you be a gay rent boy. Play it my way indeed.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The most fun thing about IW was being able to roll burning barrels down the street and gently caress with ragdoll mechanics. That was great fun in 2005 or whenever it came out.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Shibawanko posted:

I personally always baton or prod MIBs since some of them carry keys to bonus safes and stuff like that. I then pile them up in the toilet, which is what this game is really about.
See now I want a mod which lets you fatally shoot stunned MIBs, allowing you to use their bodies as improvised explosive crates.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Shibawanko posted:

The most fun thing about IW was being able to roll burning barrels down the street and gently caress with ragdoll mechanics. That was great fun in 2005 or whenever it came out.

2003, shortly after Max Payne 2 (which was the first game I played that had the Havok engine, and featured things like big piles of boxes at the top of staircases so you could watch them fall down)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Max Payne 2 is the game that "rear end in a top hat physics" was coined for, n'est pas?

I'm getting 18 xp per EMP'd spider bot - is that some weird shifter leftover?

Edit - Are there any infinite xp glitches / cheats in Biomod?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 30, 2013

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Edit - Are there any infinite xp glitches / cheats in Biomod?

I'm pretty sure the bug at the sub base (where you can get unlimited xp points if your inventory is full just before you leave the level) is still present in the modded version of the game.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Shibawanko posted:

I'm pretty sure that I've used piles of bodies to get past death lasers on at least one occasion. I wish IW didn't flip the gently caress out on my computer so I could actually try to finish it.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Heavy_D posted:

See now I want a mod which lets you fatally shoot stunned MIBs, allowing you to use their bodies as improvised explosive crates.

I'm like 90% sure I've seen a mod that actually makes it possible to kill people after they're knocked out. Assuming the MIB deaths still work the same way... :getin:

I promised, and so I deliver!

I booted up DXIW with the intention to, despite all the jank, actually have some fun. As it would turn out, rear end in a top hat physics help with that, no matter how bad the game is:

(after that last one, I realized that I can actually damage NPCs with thrown chairs. Yes, I killed both these guys. No, nobody else on the level gave a single gently caress. Who's the silent assassin now?)

Jesus christ, look at these animations. Look at their arms. LOOK AT THEM

That's just so weak and forced and reeks of black and white morality (yes I know they turn out to be the same organization eventually) (no I won't spoiler that it's a bad game)

Always thought the vaulting mechanic was pretty rad. Good thing we've got a mod that adds it to the original, then! :v:

Hmm yes 'Alex D' that's totally inconspicuous and the D totally doesn't stand for Denton

Non-lethal! (no, that didn't actually kill the guy, despite all the blood spurting from his face)

Pictured: Russian black market cyborgs. I actually really like these dudes' designs, wish there was more stuff like that in the game.

The dynamic lighting does look pretty good for the game's age, can't deny that.

Corpse stacking! Ragdolls are a thing of beauty.

And now, the thing you've all been waiting for:

See? Full inventory. Can't pick this up. But if I mash the interact button a couple times, and then go to a specific spot on the map...

Bang. At this point, my poor laptop started choking up (I've got a feeling having this many small physics objects at one place interacting with each other wasn't exactly intended :v:) but the game kept going. I wonder if there's a limit, or if you can just keep on spawning these until you fill the entire map?

cis_eraser_420 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 31, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

M.Ciaster posted:

Always thought the vaulting mechanic was pretty rad. Good thing we've got a mod that adds it to the original, then! :v:
The Bimod mantling mechanic is, like, 500% more dependable than IW's.

Also, I just put in 84 hours into the original, and probably still have an hour or two to go for all the endings. Finished IW in 20 hours while being quite thorough.

One more thing - apparently knocking out divers kills them in seconds. What?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 1, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Aaaaaand... done*. What's next - 2027, TNM, something else? Does HR have any decent mods?

* I didn't recall the Helios ending being so... sinister.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Xander77 posted:

Aaaaaand... done*. What's next - 2027, TNM, something else? Does HR have any decent mods?

The "Director's Cut" edition of HR recently released makes a few changes that make it much more fun to play and improves the visuals. The biggest change has your energy pips naturally recharge up to two pips instead of one (except on hard difficulty), giving you a bit more freedom to gently caress around with stuff. The three boss fights against the mercenaries were reworked to give you more options and they don't feel quite as out of place (the final boss is still dumb though).

There's about eight hours of in-game commentary too, if you're into that.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Xander77 posted:

TNM has a lot of Internet monkey cheese type humour, but the game play is incredibly solid IMHO, and I had a lot of fun with it. It's also really huge, has loads of secrets and new toys to play around with. I recommend it. Just try to get past the first part (getting money for the metro ticket), because it kinda sucks. It's only fifteen minutes or so though.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

jonjonaug posted:

The "Director's Cut" edition of HR recently released makes a few changes that make it much more fun to play and improves the visuals. The biggest change has your energy pips naturally recharge up to two pips instead of one (except on hard difficulty), giving you a bit more freedom to gently caress around with stuff. The three boss fights against the mercenaries were reworked to give you more options and they don't feel quite as out of place (the final boss is still dumb though).

There's about eight hours of in-game commentary too, if you're into that.

I bought the Director's Cut on the Steam holiday sale but I'm an idiot and I didn't activate the commentary until after the point where you reach Jensen's apartment for the first time because I forgot it was a thing that came with the game :ughh:

You have to turn it on under Extras on the menu, and from there there are random hotspots on the map where you press a button and the devs will come in on Jensen's comlink complete with portait and subtitles. I'm only at Hengsha but so far it's interesting and they're fairly honest about what they're unhappy with and what was cut. So far some of the coolest tidbits are:

-When you meet William Taggart and Isaias Sandoval for the first time in the reception at Sarif's office they had originally planned for you to meet both of them in one big conversation, but they only found out after they had recorded the dialogue that their conversation system could only support two characters at a time. So they had to completely re-edit the recorded dialogue and split it up into two seperate conversations, which is why Sandoval is standing on the other side of the office with the bodyguards surrounding him to draw attention to him and make people more likely to go over and talk to him.

-They were originally going to have a level where you had to infiltrate an office building in Hengsha to get the pass for the elevator to the upper level, and when it fell through they wound up just leaving the pass on a table in one of the rooms in the Hung Hua Hotel. It was one of the first maps they worked on and one of the ideas was that there were these autonomous window-washing robots that climbed around the outside of the office on suction-cup legs and at one point you'd have to climb around on the outside of the building with them.

-The hostages dying if you spend too long at Sarif Industries was a completely last-minute thing, to the point where they had already let most of the voice actors go. The guy who played David Sarif was on vacation in Morocco and they had to get his agent to track him down and record the lines at one of the recording studios over there so they could do it in time for their E3 demo.

It mostly just makes me sad that I'll never get something like this for the original Deus Ex, because reading about the cut levels and other things that were dropped from it is always fascinating and I would love to hear about it directly from the developers like that. Or something like that thing some Rare employees did where they did a Let's Play of Conker's Bad Fur Day and were talking about the development process and history of everything.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

You're in luck, there is actually a big document with this stuff about the first game, here: http://www.nanoaugur.net/dx/bible/

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I bought the Director's Cut on the Steam holiday sale but I'm an idiot and I didn't activate the commentary until after the point where you reach Jensen's apartment for the first time because I forgot it was a thing that came with the game :ughh:
The Director's commentary is generally complete rear end to trigger and listen to, so I just youtubed it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 1, 2014

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

-The hostages dying if you spend too long at Sarif Industries was a completely last-minute thing, to the point where they had already let most of the voice actors go. The guy who played David Sarif was on vacation in Morocco and they had to get his agent to track him down and record the lines at one of the recording studios over there so they could do it in time for their E3 demo.

So that's how he manages to sound so genuinely upset at you! Dude wanted to be on vacation instead of in a recording studio.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Xander77 posted:

The Director's commentary is generally complete rear end to trigger and listen to, so I just youtubed it.

This is brilliant, thanks a bunch dude. It's fascinating hearing about how they worked with some of the constraints they had.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Deus Ex Nihilus is proving to be a major disappointment - terrible voice acting (by Deus Ex standards, even), terrible map design. Is it worth sticking around to see if it improves, or should I move on to 2027 / TNM?

Edit - TNM keeps resetting my resolution to some weird half-screen window whenever it loads a new area :/

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 1, 2014

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
On the topic of post-DX mods and reading.

1) Yes, read the DX bible. It'll enhance your appreciation for the game immensely.

2) Read this post and the one immediately following it, originally from TNM. This gives very good commentary on what is known about some of the less discussed elements of Deus Ex. It includes some theorycrafting, but distinguishes between cannon and speculation.

3) Read whatever else is listed in the OP if your so inclined.

4) I reviewed 2027 here. As you can see, my impression was positive and I still remember it fondly enough. I certainly liked it more than TNM. Story and gameplay were probably a 9/10 with the level of polish at about a 7/10. About as much as you could hope for I guess.

5) There is DX: Unreal Revolution which is good for a laugh, but has little actual gameplay. Watch this video and you've seen about 60-70 percent of the mod.

I haven't played DX: Nihilum but have heard good things. There are others here of course, but don't know much about them.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 2, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Is it just me, or does Biomod reduce the standard jump height slightly to compensate for the mantling mechanic? Things that are installed on top of Biomod remove the mantling thing but don't correct the jump height.

I hope I can get the speed augmentation soon, because I got stuck in a number of locations I should have been able to jump out of.

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Is it just me, or does Biomod reduce the standard jump height slightly to compensate for the mantling mechanic? Things that are installed on top of Biomod remove the mantling thing but don't correct the jump height.

I hope I can get the speed augmentation soon, because I got stuck in a number of locations I should have been able to jump out of.

You have to level up Athletics to Trained to get back your normal jump height when using Biomod, yeah. I had to abuse LAM climbing after getting stuck on the roofs of some of the buildings during the NSF generator mission.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Can you grenade jump in Deus Ex singleplayer or was that just a multiplayer thing?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

You can in singleplayer, it's the main trick for speedruns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPvgaxsxxPk
Also, grenade climbing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfMgr3MPH_w

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mick Swagger posted:

You have to level up Athletics to Trained to get back your normal jump height when using Biomod, yeah. I had to abuse LAM climbing after getting stuck on the roofs of some of the buildings during the NSF generator mission.
Ah hell. I can't even find the biomod files / readme to figure out how to uninstall it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Xander77 posted:

Ah hell. I can't even find the biomod files / readme to figure out how to uninstall it.

The "installation" is replacing a couple of files in the System directory, to uninstall it you put them back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

TNM would be 100% better if the hub levels were compacted into half their current size and/or if you were given the speed augmentation from the very start. That should probably be a mod for the mod.