Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
He talks about when he was a kid his neighbors or something like that had a cat or dog that had 4 babies and they took the fourth one and it hosed up his eye and that made him hate the number four. At least I think since I can't remember where it's brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

dudermcbrohan posted:

He talks about when he was a kid his neighbors or something like that had a cat or dog that had 4 babies and they took the fourth one and it hosed up his eye and that made him hate the number four. At least I think since I can't remember where it's brought up.

He used that as an example as to why it was still bad to take away from 4 even if that makes it 3. Granted, I remember this from the "bad" translation...

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Nuff said.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The power of Stands transcends all language barriers.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Finally caught up with JoJoLion today. I have to say, I'm enjoying it but sometimes I do wish Josuke would take a more Jotaro-style approach to his problems. That is: punching.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think Araki has done a pretty good job setting the conflicts up so that punching is often just the wrong option.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr. Maltose posted:

I think Araki has done a pretty good job setting the conflicts up so that punching is often just the wrong option.

Or rather punching isn't even an option. Personally I kinda like Josuke2 because he can be a real badass without hitting people in the face.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's fair, but it does make you think how more quickly Jotaro would have wrapped up this mystery so he could go look at fish.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

It's JoJo; there's always punching. It just sometimes happens with your brain instead of your fist. He needs to just punch with his brain more and harder and the mystery will be solved.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Punching is the reward at the end of a fight, while the actual fight consists of beating your opponent at a chess game and all the chess pieces are Rubik's cubes.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 2, 2014

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Well played, Josuke. But you are too slow. Now I am the one standing behind you!

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

HitTheTargets posted:

Well played, Josuke. But you are too slow. Now I am the one standing behind you!

I have now become your stand, Josuke !

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
So I'm using the Jojo series as a jumping off point to do some research into pop music history - and in particular, how it relates to Japan. I'm trying to get a sense of the influences that impacted Araki's work, as well as get a better sense of how pop music culture developed in Japan.

Right now, I'm focusing on Cheap Trick - as many people here probably already know, Cheap Trick was treated back in the day by Japan to the same degree that the Beatles were treated when they first came to the US. I don't believe this fame is undeserved - Cheap Trick are fantastic, and having taking a little more time to dig into their work beyond the radio top hits, there's a surprising amount of depth to be found.

The 'live at Budokan' album and footage in particular can help give a sense of just how MASSIVE they were (and are) in Japan. The audience's screaming enhancement to the songs makes the album feel like it's elevated to become a transcendent icon of 'this is what rock music is all about.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVxna2smkg

I'm digging around on youtube mainly right now looking for old interviews, live performances and other things - documentaries will probably help as well if I can find any of those. If anyone knows of anything in particular to help me out, I'd appreciate.

Meanwhile, Cheap Trick is the userless stand in 'Diamond is Unbreakable' that attaches itself to Rohan Kishbie's back, and will kill him if anyone looks at his back. Rohan of course is the author's self-insert character, so a cultural phenomena attaching itself to his back is almost like a humorous little mirror of how Araki used pop tunes as a jumping off point to inspire so much of his work - he just can't seem to shake this little trope he invented for his work.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Punching is the reward at the end of a fight, while the actual fight consists of beating your opponent at a chess game and all the chess pieces are Rubik's cubes.

Yeah, and Stardust Crusaders is where Araki cemented that formula for himself - where the characters have to endure & problem-solve a crazy amount of bullshit that keeps them in check from punishing the bad guy.

The epic and imaginative level of that bullshit that keeps them in check is what the series is all about of course.

And it makes sense to make the payoff an amazing iconic explosion like this: http://i40.tinypic.com/168zrck.jpg

The punching in Jojo (except for arcs 1 and 2 - though 2 had the punching severely reduced) is generally withheld and used as punishment and payoff, rather than a combat technique you might regularly use in say, a fighting game. :cool:

Zorak posted:

Finally caught up with JoJoLion today. I have to say, I'm enjoying it but sometimes I do wish Josuke would take a more Jotaro-style approach to his problems. That is: punching.

Josuke seems to be more of a sensitive and friendly type of hero that the gruff Jotaro - his stand's name "Soft N' Wet" is named after a Prince song, and he reminds me of Prince a lot. I feel like Josuke is meant as basically an alternate universe Jotaro, with his personality flipped.

His sailor boy outfit makes the comic feel at times like a throwback to early 20th century comics, or French comics. Might even be some kind of snide Popeye reference somewhere in there. Well blow me down.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 5, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

To answer a question from the anime thread, Jotaro is pretty much a too-cool-for-school guy in part 3 and his character doesn't really develop until later parts. A lot of people agree that he's at his best in part 4, and in part 6 he takes a somewhat tragic turn. He's personally my favorite along with Joseph, but some people don't like him based solely on his part 3 characterization, which I can understand, but I don't think it's totally fair.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Started rereading Part 4 for shits and giggles, and was curious - where is the second "jo" in "Josuke Higashikata"? Is it some Japanese spelling pun or something?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah, the "suke" part can be read as "jo".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And this is unintentional, but the kanji used for Higashikata are the same kanji used for the name of the Touhou series, so Higashikata Josuke can be read as Touhou Jojo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm dissatisfied with how Araki handled the JoJo names from Part 3 on. They mostly call them by their names from then on anyway.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WickedHate posted:

I'm dissatisfied with how Araki handled the JoJo names from Part 3 on. They mostly call them by their names from then on anyway.

I think that was partly because parts started featuring more than one Jojo, so it would be confusing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Waffleman_ posted:

I think that was partly because parts started featuring more than one Jojo, so it would be confusing.

Maybe, but I think it could have easily worked by calling the main Jojo 'Jojo' then calling the old one by his actual name. It's kinda weird how a series called "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" only features the name "jojo" in about a quarter of it.

Although I liked how in Part 6, Jojo is a pet name for Jolyne that she's actually quite sensitive about, it makes sense. Is the word "Jojo" even used at any point in SBR?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CodfishCartographer posted:

Maybe, but I think it could have easily worked by calling the main Jojo 'Jojo' then calling the old one by his actual name. It's kinda weird how a series called "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" only features the name "jojo" in about a quarter of it.

All the more reason it was unnecessary to bother with a justification for every new protagonist to be called JoJo.

Though, I will admit, for Jotaro and Jolyne it makes a little bit more sense, because in Japanese you would read the Jo's togther(Kujo Jotaro/lyne), but still.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

WickedHate posted:

You gotta admit, calling Giorno 'Giogio' would have been silly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gappy isn't actually the real Jojo in Jojolion.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Broseph Brostar posted:

You gotta admit, calling Giorno 'Giogio' would have been silly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gappy isn't actually the real Jojo in Jojolion.

I'm still under the opinion that it'll wind up being Joshu. There's still a son and a few daughters unaccounted for in the family tree that could link the Joestar bloodline back to the Higashikatas, and when else have we had a character with "Jo" in his name that wasn't a Jojo at some point?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

There's still the unresolved mystery of who the other half of Josuke is, so we'll have to see. After all, his birthmark is made up of two different star birthmarks. :)

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

I'm still under the opinion that it'll wind up being Joshu. There's still a son and a few daughters unaccounted for in the family tree that could link the Joestar bloodline back to the Higashikatas, and when else have we had a character with "Jo" in his name that wasn't a Jojo at some point?

I was thinking maybe the maid since she has the birthmark and is pretty much female Jotaro, but she doesn't even have a single Jo in her name, could be a fake name.

There's always Jobin as well.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Although I liked how in Part 6, Jojo is a pet name for Jolyne that she's actually quite sensitive about, it makes sense. Is the word "Jojo" even used at any point in SBR?

Johnny mentions that people used to call him Jojo when he went by his full name. That was right after Gyro revealed his full name.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Broseph Brostar posted:

There's always Jobin as well.

Calling it now, Joshu and Jobin fall into the Wall Eyes and get combined into Jojo.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I think being a jojo has some sort of mystical power in the series, it's like having D as a middle initial in One Piece. Being a jojo means that you have the power and the destiny to defeat evil, even if nobody has actually called you by that name for years.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Calling it now, Joshu and Jobin fall into the Wall Eyes and get combined into Jojo.

If Kira had combined with Yasuho they'd be Baron Yasura.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kabanaw posted:

I think being a jojo has some sort of mystical power in the series, it's like having D as a middle initial in One Piece.

At least they actually have D in their name and you don't have to jump through hoops to see the D in their name.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Has there been any word on if David is going for a faithful adaptation of part 3 or if they're going to have to compress things down? I'm hoping they can be as faithful as possible and cut as little as possibly like with their adaptation of part 1 and 2 but part 1 and 2 were also really short compared to later parts so I dunno. A lot of the fight scenes would probably go quicker in animation form than comic form as well.

Honestly I just hope they're willing to spring for two openings with one being for the first half of part 3 with the tarot card stands and the second for when they get to Egypt and are dealing with the god stands. Doubt it'd happen but it'd be cool if they could.

Sorta related but how is Rohan goes to the Louvre? Is it any good? I've read every other Rohan spin-off thing (I think) and enjoyed them a fair amount but I've not checked out the Louvre story.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd imagine they can condense Part 3 into 26 episodes. Certain fights are significantly shorter than others and wouldn't take up even half an episode and it shouldn't be a problem to get rid of some unnecessary stuff here and there. On the subject of Rohan, it's a legit good book, but the main show is sort of how the art shows off the story and how much the art effects what it has happening. It's a cool read and worth the money.

EDIT: There is no reason for Sun to be anything more than a cold open to an episode, for example.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 9, 2014

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

FirstAidKite posted:

A lot of the fight scenes would probably go quicker in animation form than comic form as well.

A lot of fights dont have much to them. You could squish Tower of Grey and Dark Blue Moon together into one episode pretty easily. Since theres something like 30+ opponents in Part 3 theres going to have to be a lot of doubling up. Although some of them are package deals already like Oingo and Boingo and J Geil and Hol Horse.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
They could skip the monkey on the ship, but I would hate that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
How? That monkey was Polnereff's partner.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
I don't remember that at all.

I only remembering him wanting to gently caress the girl and killing a ton of people on the ship once they board it, he was pretty minor from what I remember.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ADullMin posted:

They could skip the [any fight], but I would hate that.

This is pretty much how I feel. There were so many great fights in part 3 and I can't imagine any one particular fight that would be seen as skippable without losing something entertaining from it by doing so. Was there honestly a single stand battle in part 3 that was just completely awful and terrible and not entertaining in any way, shape, or form?

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
The Sun?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
I think they could do it in 39-40 eps at the most. Some fights need more time like Jotaro slowly wearing D'Arby down until he cracks.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

The sun's "important" for joseph's OH MY GOD! and jotaro's, polnareff's, and kakyoin's laughs. Other than that it's pretty filler.

• Locked thread