Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mega64 posted:

You can never have enough DarksydePhil bashing.

Holy poo poo wow that's just bad. That dude is such an immature hack.

Edit: Oh I had no idea. I can honestly believe that, though.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Sorry, should've clarified this isn't real. Play4Real is The Onion of gaming journalism, in that they post "parody" news that can and at some point probably will come true.

Not that it's that hard to imagine DarksydePhil literally losing to a monkey at video games.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
This article was listed under the "You may also like" section. Three guesses as to why it stood out.
http://www.p4rgaming.com/game-streamers-discover-they-dont-even-need-to-play-games-to-earn-money/

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Singh Long posted:

This article was listed under the "You may also like" section. Three guesses as to why it stood out.
http://www.p4rgaming.com/game-streamers-discover-they-dont-even-need-to-play-games-to-earn-money/

I dunno, I don't think people are watching that guys stream for his looks.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Singh Long posted:

Isn't that picture from the video where slowbeef was "imitating" pewdiepie some other youtube celebrity?

Yep. So I'm not going crazy.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 5, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOxmg2Pm1A

Woolie getting trolled never gets old.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

Mega64 posted:

Sorry, should've clarified this isn't real. Play4Real is The Onion of gaming journalism, in that they post "parody" news that can and at some point probably will come true.

Not that it's that hard to imagine DarksydePhil literally losing to a monkey at video games.

The unbelievable part that should have tipped everyone off is DSP doing anything for charity. The rest would absolutely be reasonable to see happen.

Holon
Dec 4, 2013

Time and time again...
Before any of the parodying or DSP "hate" came around I had already formed my opinion that he was pretty money hungry/selfish from the fact that he posts upwards of 30 videos a day. The only other time I have seen that happen is when someone re-uploads or archives something. Now, after hearing about the "DSP Classics" channel i really can say he is getting pretty desperate for the money. I can't, however say how I'd feel for him if he just lost his remaining viewers though; it could go either way really. Feeling pity for him, because he probably has very few skills, along with bad personal relations ability. On the other hand I could honestly see myself being rather happy with him getting thrown out into the world like that, since I find it rather... idiotic to form your sole income on Youtube. Maybe in a real world situation he'd blame getting fired on the shelves he's stocking, or something.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
Not to try and defend the guy, but from the looks of it, the "DPSClassics" channel is legitimately an older channel of his that's just renamed. None of the vids appear to be reposts.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Honestly, it's hard to feel bad for the guy when he is such a loving rear end to everyone. If he plays a guy online and the guy has a big win/loss ratio, he'll make fun of him for spending his life playing video games.

How? How do you miss that? How are you so not self-aware??? I wonder how long he'd make fun of his reflection before realizing it.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Simple difference: DSP makes money doing it. He is therefore better than everyone he plays against online because they don't make money.

I can't say for certain, but with how much time he spends streaming himself, I think the odds are pretty good that he actually said something to that effect at some point.

Speaking of Phil, has there been any update on his whole "sue SEGA or whoever it was for ContentID" plan yet?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It says a lot about a person when you're watching a compilation of his lowlights and you're surprised when he admits fault when he dies in a game. I can count the amount of times I've heard him say "That was my fault that I lost/died" on one hand, in all serious.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

Simple difference: DSP makes money doing it. He is therefore better than everyone he plays against online because they don't make money.

I can't say for certain, but with how much time he spends streaming himself, I think the odds are pretty good that he actually said something to that effect at some point.

Speaking of Phil, has there been any update on his whole "sue SEGA or whoever it was for ContentID" plan yet?

He did say something to that effect when he played someone in Injustice. If you check the DSP tries it: insulting other gamers, or the name is something like that, he said it to someone the comments called Counter hitter.

Long story short, he's an rear end with an unearned sense of entitlement and has openly stated that if he were able to figure out that someone is ad blocking his streams he would ban them. If I was not on my cell phone I would also link "this is how you don't do giveaways" but a YouTube search of that is enlightening.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
At least the montages are now in a convenient place...in a montage of its own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUl2xp1p0T0

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Brassherald posted:

He did say something to that effect when he played someone in Injustice. If you check the DSP tries it: insulting other gamers, or the name is something like that, he said it to someone the comments called Counter hitter.

Long story short, he's an rear end with an unearned sense of entitlement and has openly stated that if he were able to figure out that someone is ad blocking his streams he would ban them. If I was not on my cell phone I would also link "this is how you don't do giveaways" but a YouTube search of that is enlightening.

Wait...your serious? Did he actually give away the box and not the game?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ReturnOfFable posted:

It wasn't even for a game that people are clamoring for a copy for, either. :v: I like to think that he was looking at his collection, saw it and realized he didn't want the box and decided that one of his "lucky" fans could have his trash.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Does he even have fans anymore? Or just people who watch him to make fun of him?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

ReturnOfFable posted:

Yep, here's the proof.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SS9CeOb_LKA

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

I knew. I knew what the video was. I knew he was giving away just the drat boxes, but I could not believe it until I watched. And holy poo poo, I can't draw on a black box, so I can autograph some business cards. loving amazing.

edit: Betus on AIM: "..." "...He's loving serious?"

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 6, 2014

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
How does anybody become so self-absorbed and out of touch with reality that they'd do something like that? I know he's stupid, but still, this is ridiculous.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

GeneralYeti posted:

How does anybody become so self-absorbed and out of touch with reality that they'd do something like that? I know he's stupid, but still, this is ridiculous.

Addendum: insert "through playing videogames for the internet" between "Reality" and "That"

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
What? You mean you need the disc to play the game? I have the box... why can't I play the game? It doesn't even fit in the console! Do I - am I supposed to cut a piece of the box that fits in the slot? Will it work if I send the company a signed business card?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
He's literally the Internet equivalent of the Seinfeld cast - he genuinely deserves to be thrown in jail just for being a horrible person.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If he uploads a million videos a day, isn't that actually going to hurt his overall view rate? Like, people are going to see a million videos in their feed if they're subscribed to him, how likely is it that they're going to check out more than one of them?

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Man, can we redo the DSP video? Because I feel like this giveaway crap deserves to be in there.

No wait, you can't even parody it. It is just too loving ridiculous. How does he not get it....

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

muike posted:

If he uploads a million videos a day, isn't that actually going to hurt his overall view rate? Like, people are going to see a million videos in their feed if they're subscribed to him, how likely is it that they're going to check out more than one of them?

Look, according to DSP he puts out more quality entertainment than anyone else out there.

The fact that his viewership falls off after the first few videos in a game series is because the kids all have small attention spans.

The fact that he loses subscribers is because of the hate campaign against him.

The fact that no one has time to watch all his stuff, which is basically his entire waking day where he plays video games the entire time that he is not recording himself eating the new burger at Mickey D's or buying the games that he is eventually going to get people to explain to him exactly how to beat, well, that's because of... Anyone but DSP.

In short, DSP's entire persona is pointing fingers everywhere else but at himself. There was a video that talks about why he is called the King of Hate and how everyone seems to love hating him, and some Youtube guy said it best saying, why doesn't he think that maybe the issue is with him and not with everyone else?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I've just got a new fancy TV that connects to the internet and allows you to play youtube videos through it; and literally the only thing on the front page were videos like this one which is literally someone opening packs of fake trading cards for a game that they've paid for with real money. Its FIFA Ultimate Team, which is probably more fun if you don't sink money into it and have to deal with a rubbish team until you get better players later (at least, the Madden one is like that IMO). But there's apparently a thing on youtube now of uploading videos of you buying fake internet cards.

...and it was 300,000 views. 300,000 people watched a 7 minute video of someone opening fake internet cards with no actual gameplay. And most apparently liked it!

Kajmir
Jan 17, 2012
I suppose his logic is that if you care enough about getting a collector's edition box that you would already own the game? But if that were the case then wouldn't you already own the collector's edition?

Also I'd really like to know if he included the used dlc card that was included with the game. That would really be the cherry on top of the poo poo sunday.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

EvilKaj posted:

I suppose his logic is that if you care enough about getting a collector's edition box that you would already own the game? But if that were the case then wouldn't you already own the collector's edition?

Also I'd really like to know if he included the used dlc card that was included with the game. That would really be the cherry on top of the poo poo sunday.

I would like to know what the biggest giveaway is that he is doing for this year... the box for his PS4? I mean, not the PS4, clearly, but the box for it is larger than the boxes for things he traded in, and also, since he has not traded it in, you can hold the box as you watch his stream and pretend to be near him.

EDIT: I found out what it was, the first good giveaway i an actual PS4, but, the story is basically he got one for his girlfriend who did not want it, and he could not return it, so, I guess he figured he'd give it away. I mean, it is better than the boxes, but, he literally is only doing this because he cannot return the second PS4. Somehow, even when he is nice, he seems like an rear end in a top hat.

Brassherald fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 6, 2014

Kajmir
Jan 17, 2012
I guess he could have sold the PS4 at a decreased value and gifted the box anyway, so kudos to him for not being completely terrible for once. Even though it wasn't his original intention.

Wow, it is really hard to make a decent compliment about him.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

muike posted:

The strategy - I think - is to upload most/all of a game on day one, then people with short attention spans are likely to watch multiple episodes. Otherwise they may forget/get tired of you before you finish the series.

I don't know if it actually works, but that's the theory.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The real kicker is that Phil is a goddamn hoarder and has so much video game memorabilia that it's cluttering up his apartment.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDzRibCaN6M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKDzRibCaN6M

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Wouldn't the trade value for these games be more if he brought the boxes in as well?

I really hope this is an experiment to see how stupid his fan base is. He is sending people actual garbage in the mail.

This guy is a prick and deserves all the negativity that he gets.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

bobjr posted:

Does he even have fans anymore? Or just people who watch him to make fun of him?

This is known scientifically as "The Tim Buckley Ratio."

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

IceAgeComing posted:

...and it was 300,000 views. 300,000 people watched a 7 minute video of someone opening fake internet cards with no actual gameplay. And most apparently liked it!

Well, I know NorthernLion has done videos like that as well for Hearthstone.

Both are about 24 minutes with 25k+ views. I... I don't get it. Maybe it scratches an itch for people that I just don't have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRVWTYgEoh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtEY8snMGVc

ponfed
Oct 20, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

He's literally the Internet equivalent of the Seinfeld cast - he genuinely deserves to be thrown in jail just for being a horrible person.

I think he is more like David Brent from The Office. First of all he kind of looks like him. Second of all, the complete lack of self-awareness is pushed to uncomfortably hilarious levels.

I love how his girlfriend sort of looks disappointed in that video, when he says that he traded in the game.
Keep in mind, he's only saying it for "full disclosure".

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

VivaVizer posted:

Well, I know NorthernLion has done videos like that as well for Hearthstone.

Both are about 24 minutes with 25k+ views. I... I don't get it. Maybe it scratches an itch for people that I just don't have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRVWTYgEoh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtEY8snMGVc

This is pretty dumb but after seeing the video of that douchebag handing out garbage I say let this dude open his cards in peace. I've certainly seen duller LP videos.

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

The real kicker is that Phil is a goddamn hoarder and has so much video game memorabilia that it's cluttering up his apartment.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDzRibCaN6M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKDzRibCaN6M

For all the poo poo he has, he doesn't seem to own any lightbulbs. Why would you give a tour of your flat on camera by torch light?
"I'm going to make you look at my junk. Except you're not going to be able to se it because I'm so much of an idiot I don't know how to turn the lights on."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abYKKrCkF-c&t=396s

DWK fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 7, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The fact you can make a two and a half hour video of DSP sucking at a single game is kind of sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The thing I find myself taking away most from this video, above everything else that you can be baffled by, is that he played Tetris. And he couldn't even do that moderately well enough.

At a certain point you just have to wonder if he really is doing all of this on purpose. You just take a step back and think "there is no way he could be this stupid. There's no way anyone could be that incompetent. There has to be a point where it stops." But it doesn't. It's the slow motion train wreck that never ends.

• Locked thread