Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
January Oath

5 Reciprocators (Privateer, 28mm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I oath this Almaran the Gold, Paladin With Flaming Sword by Reaper Miniaturs, converted to have a different shield and base.

Not sure what I'm going to do about the fecked up moulding on his face, too.

This is part of an ongoing long-term project to make the fantasy fantastic four :D

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 5, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I, Slimnoid, oath the following models for January: Abuela Ortega (Wyrd Miniatures), 2x Brute Thralls (Privateer Press) and a Hydra (Reaper Miniatures); all 28mm

I'm going for both the Detectuv's Jurnal (OSL) and the Diorama bonuses on the Hydra!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
:siren:I Indolent Bastard, oath 1 Irmandinho from Corvus Beli (Infinity), 1 Wizard from Reaper Miniatures and 10 6mm Norman bowmen from Baccus Miniatures :siren:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 5, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I want to start painting but I haven't been approved yet. :ohdear:

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.

ijyt posted:

Yup! 3x2mm neodymium magnets are perfect, so using a pin vise and 3mm drill bit (and maybe a smaller one for a guide hole), drill into the "socket" on the arms and jetpack shoulders to make a slot for a magnet. With the weapon systems snip off the tabs and drill the same hole for the magnet.

I found that most of the time it'll be a very snug fit for the magnet, so when dry fitting it might get stuck in there. If it does, just keep teasing it out with a stack of magnets. Glue 'em in with normal, thin super glue.

All I can say, is check, double check and triple check the polarity of the magnets so that they're all correctly positioned across every suit. Nothing worse than finishing magnetising all your weapons, then finding out your suits repel them on one or both sides.

I've not tried to magnetize anything that was free to spin, as it were, are the magnets strong enough to hold the guns level in line with the arm? Or would I need to put a locking pin in place to hold them steady?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Icon Of Sin posted:

I, Icon of Sin oath to paint this librarian from Dark Vengeance, the current starter set for Warhammer 40k. He's going to make such a fine inquisitor for my Grey Knights :unsmigghh:

drat, why didn't I think of that. I've had that model sitting in pieces since summer, and I've been trying to find a cool model to use as an inquisitor. Consider your idea stolen borrowed!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Haydrian posted:

I've not tried to magnetize anything that was free to spin, as it were, are the magnets strong enough to hold the guns level in line with the arm? Or would I need to put a locking pin in place to hold them steady?

It's not necessary, but knocks and idle fingers will cause the weapon to point elsewhere . It's not too big a deal for me as the weapons don't actually weigh enough to droop or anything, but if you want your plasma rifles and flamers to not end up backwards on the arm, then a guide pin (or even part of the tab on the weapon) can be used.

I'd let the shoulder weapons rotate though, looks cool aiming two rocket pods at enemy units.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Haydrian posted:

Depends on the model. For line troops its probably fine without a pin, but my terminator chaos lord won't point his combimelta straight ahead, he more holds it downward as if he's moving with it.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

bhsman posted:

If you followed all the instructions you usually don't need to wait for approval... I mean mine has not been approved yet I have painted 2 of the models and have some paint on all the others...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

bhsman posted:

In three years of oath threads I have not once waited for approval. I usually start the second after I post the picture in this thread.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea...speaking of waiting to paint...

:pcgaming: OATH COMPLETE :pcgaming:

Inspired by the inquisitor on the front of their codex. No jurnal this month.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Please go ahead and start painting, everyone who has oathed. It is almost always the case that if we need you to take another photo for some reason, we'll be OK with the model now having paint on it.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
I, Cyclomatic, oath that I will paint this Ronin for Malifaux by Wyrd Minatures

Awwww, it's a baby!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Rikthor posted:

I, Rikthor, oath these (6) Cygnar Arcane Gun Mages from Privateer Press for January!

bhsman posted:

I, bhsman, oath to complete a Ariadnan Tankhunter, from Corvus-Belli's Infinity range:

Pash posted:

I, Pash, Oath to paint 6 Mantic Werewolves and 1 Mantic Lich for the month of January!

Galaspar posted:

For January I, Galaspar, pledge the following oafs oath: Three Ogryns by Games Workshop, 28mm scale

Haydrian posted:

For January I, Haydrian, Oath: a three piece Crisis Battlesuit team!

Models are from Games Workshop.

SRM posted:

:siren:I, SRM, oath one Space Marine captain and a combat squad of 5 Marines for January! All models are Games Workshop:siren:
The bolters are primed separately, because it's too hard to paint them when they're attached.

Conan the Librarian posted:

I, Conan the Librarian, oath to paint these 6 Eldar Fire Dragons this month. They are 28mm Games Workshop figures.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I, Icon of Sin oath to paint this librarian from Dark Vengeance, the current starter set for Warhammer 40k. He's going to make such a fine inquisitor for my Grey Knights :unsmigghh:

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath a ruler and an island from GW's dreadfleet and a shasvastii seed soldier from Infinity - CB for the month of January.
The seed soldier was previously oathed, I do forsake that accursed oath and any whales that might have been saved.
I take you mean you're not going to go for a Save Da Whales and just do a straight-up oath on this?

KingMob posted:

January Oath

5 Reciprocators (Privateer, 28mm)

thespaceinvader posted:

I oath this Almaran the Gold, Paladin With Flaming Sword by Reaper Miniaturs, converted to have a different shield and base.

Not sure what I'm going to do about the fecked up moulding on his face, too.

This is part of an ongoing long-term project to make the fantasy fantastic four :D

Slimnoid posted:

I, Slimnoid, oath the following models for January: Abuela Ortega (Wyrd Miniatures), 2x Brute Thralls (Privateer Press) and a Hydra (Reaper Miniatures); all 28mm

I'm going for both the Detectuv's Jurnal (OSL) and the Diorama bonuses on the Hydra!
The Diorama oath doesn't need to be finished by the end of a given month, just at the end of the Oath Season (which is the end of April) - do you mean that you're oathing the Hydra *and* the Diorama for this month?

Indolent Bastard posted:

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, oath 1 Irmandinho from Corvus Beli (Infinity), 1 Wizard from Reaper Miniatures and 10 6mm Norman bowmen from Baccus Miniatures :siren:

Cyclomatic posted:

I, Cyclomatic, oath that I will paint this Ronin for Malifaux by Wyrd Minatures

Awwww, it's a baby!

All of the above are ACCEPTED

bhsman posted:

See above! You never need to wait to get approval, if there is a problem (usually an unreadable date on the screen) you'll get asked to take and post another picture with whatever you've painted so far being OK.

Haydrian posted:

Also, I had a question about the bonus objective "I rolled a 6!", how many unit markers should I be doing for full credit? I was going to make up some pinned/gone to ground/fleeing markers for infantry units, would a half dozen or so be ok?
As Leperflesh said, here is no minimum for the I rolled a 6! one-time bonus - you might not need a half dozen markers for a model/unit that needs markers, so one die/marker/whatever (with some sort of effort, as mentioned) is all you need to make the minimum.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

krushgroove posted:

[...]do you mean that you're oathing the Hydra *and* the Diorama for this month?

Yup. Probably should've been more clear on that.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Slimnoid posted:

Yup. Probably should've been more clear on that.

OK, just checking - not sure how we'll judge it if you fail the Diorama oath...so please don't fail it! :P

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

krushgroove posted:

OK, just checking - not sure how we'll judge it if you fail the Diorama oath...so please don't fail it! :P

Ha, I haven't failed an Oath yet!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

krushgroove posted:

I take you mean you're not going to go for a Save Da Whales and just do a straight-up oath on this?

Correct.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Sorry these are a couple hours later than the timestamp, but...

I , Dr. Gargunza, being very cold and ridiculously optimistic, oath to paint the following 8 miniatures for the month of January:
Front Row: (1) Orc Swordsman by Tre Manor; (1) Shaeress Nashanneth, Dark Elf Queen; (1) Almaran the Gold, Paladin with Flaming Sword; (1) Lysette, Elven Mage;
Back Row: (1) Autumn Bronzeleaf, Female Elf Wizard; (1) Hellakin Goregutter, Halfling Thief; (1) Seoni, Iconic Female Sorceress; and (1) Bartender!

All of these are Reaper 28mm Bones. (Guess which one I plan on making my Jurnal entry! :ninja: eyes thespaceinvader suspiciously :ninja:)

Edit: As an addition to my current oath, I vow to paint I rolled a 6!...or a 20!...or maybe an 01 on these pieces for Flying Frog Productions' Fortune and Glory game: (8) Temple markers and (1) Zeppelin marker!

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 7, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

OK, I take it Leperflesh is OK with that.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Sorry these are a couple hours later than the timestamp, but...

I , Dr. Gargunza, being very cold and ridiculously optimistic, oath to paint the following 8 miniatures for the month of January:
Front Row: (1) Orc Swordsman by Tre Manor; (1) Shaeress Nashanneth, Dark Elf Queen; (1) Almaran the Gold, Paladin with Flaming Sword; (1) Lysette, Elven Mage;
Back Row: (1) Autumn Bronzeleaf, Female Elf Wizard; (1) Hellakin Goregutter, Halfling Thief; (1) Seoni, Iconic Female Sorceress; and (1) Bartender!

All of these are Reaper 28mm Bones. (Guess which one I plan on making my Jurnal entry! :ninja: eyes thespaceinvader suspiciously :ninja:)
Accepted!

quote:

I'd also like to do an entry for I rolled a 6!...or a 20!...or maybe an 01--should I make that a separate post/oath addition, or edit that in here?
What are you actually planning to paint? We'll need to see it before it can be approved.

Speaking of which...Haydrian, we'll need to see a picture of your I rolled a 6! before it can be accepted as well, when you're ready to oath it.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 7, 2014

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

What are you actually planning to paint? We'll need to see it before it can be approved.

Yeah, sorry about that; my brain's a bit frozen at the moment. I'll edit the addition into my previous post.

Following up on Achmed Jones' question late last month: Did we ever get a ruling on whether previously-oathed minis can be included in a Diorama oath? (It's okay if the answer is no, 'cos the minis I did for last month ended up kind of a slapdash mess that I'd like to chuck into some Simple Green and do over. Also I have about four other ideas for dioramas that will probably turn out better than the one I planned.)

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:For January I oath: Syntherion, 1 Galvanizer, 1 Mitigator, 1 Diffuser, and 6 Reflex Servitors:siren:

These are Privateer Press.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Red Shoe posted:

:siren:For January I oath: Syntherion, 1 Galvanizer, 1 Mitigator, 1 Diffuser, and 6 Reflex Servitors:siren:

These are Privateer Press.

Is that it?! For shame. Accepted!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Yeah, sorry about that; my brain's a bit frozen at the moment. I'll edit the addition into my previous post.
OK, just making sure!

quote:

Following up on Achmed Jones' question late last month: Did we ever get a ruling on whether previously-oathed minis can be included in a Diorama oath? (It's okay if the answer is no, 'cos the minis I did for last month ended up kind of a slapdash mess that I'd like to chuck into some Simple Green and do over. Also I have about four other ideas for dioramas that will probably turn out better than the one I planned.)

Sorry I didn't answer this before! I would say yes to this, unless there are objections, because the rules for dioramas are that you have to paint them during this Oath Season, and if you've oathed them and completed them then you've painted them during this Oath Season!

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I LazyAngel oath the following for the month of January; A Royal Paladin and Hexcast Sorceress from Super Dungeon Explore (Soda Pop), and an Infinity Naffatun (Corvus Belli)

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

krushgroove posted:

Is that it?! For shame. Accepted!

Worry not, there is more to come!

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I, HiggsBoson81, oath that I will paint this Cryx starter box by Privateer Press, consisting of Warwitch Deneghra, 2x Deathripper, Defiler, and a Slayer.
Awwww, it's a baby!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Krushgroove, you missed Zhent.

krushgroove posted:

Sorry I didn't answer this before! I would say yes to this, unless there are objections, because the rules for dioramas are that you have to paint them during this Oath Season, and if you've oathed them and completed them then you've painted them during this Oath Season!

The only issue I can see is double-judging, e.g., the figures were submitted as part of an Oath and then eligible for judges' points, and then also submitted as part of a Diorama which is separately judged. I doubt that's a big deal to anyone, but it's worth consideration.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Edit: As an addition to my current oath, I vow to paint I rolled a 6!...or a 20!...or maybe an 01 on these pieces for Flying Frog Productions' Fortune and Glory game: (8) Temple markers and (1) Zeppelin marker!

What is the scale for these? Or, I suppose as markers that doesn't matter... well, what's the general scale used in Fortune and Glory?

LazyAngel posted:

I LazyAngel oath the following for the month of January; A Royal Paladin and Hexcast Sorceress from Super Dungeon Explore (Soda Pop), and an Infinity Naffatun (Corvus Belli)

What's the scale on the minis from Soda Pop?

HiggsBoson81 posted:

Awwww, it's a baby!

Cyclomatic posted:

Awwww, it's a baby!

Welcome, fresh meat Newcomers!

Everyone
I totally forgot to do prize draws for December! Man. I am gonna try to get to it tonight, but failing that, for sure I'll get it done tomorrow. Sorry for the delay!

Sole.Sushi give me a different 3rd prize winner for November!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

What is the scale for these? Or, I suppose as markers that doesn't matter... well, what's the general scale used in Fortune and Glory?

Well, the general scale for the hero/villain/mook figures is 25-28mm; but the temple and zeppelin markers are way off that scale, and not in scale with each other. The zeppelin is something like 1/3200 when scaled against the actual Graf Zeppelin II, and the temples (which appear to be based on the El Castillo pyramid at Chichén Itzá) are about 1/1170.

(Pictured: zeppelin marker, Giant-Sized Dr. Zhukov, temple marker)

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

What's the scale on the minis from Soda Pop?
I think around 28mm - proportions are a bit unusual.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I Cataphract do pledge my solemn oath to complete these three ork killa kanz (GW 40k 28mm) by January's end

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Leperflesh posted:

Krushgroove, you missed Zhent.

DAMMIT!!! Still trying to go a full week without missing anyone!

HiggsBoson81 posted:

I, HiggsBoson81, oath that I will paint this Cryx starter box by Privateer Press, consisting of Warwitch Deneghra, 2x Deathripper, Defiler, and a Slayer.
Awwww, it's a baby!

Cataphract posted:

I Cataphract do pledge my solemn oath to complete these three ork killa kanz (GW 40k 28mm) by January's end

Zhent posted:

I, Zhent, oath these 5 models for January:

Lady Justice, the Scales of Justice, and 3 Death Marshalls from Malifaux [Wyrd Miniatures].

Accepted

Leperflesh posted:

The only issue I can see is double-judging, e.g., the figures were submitted as part of an Oath and then eligible for judges' points, and then also submitted as part of a Diorama which is separately judged. I doubt that's a big deal to anyone, but it's worth consideration.

Hmmm yes, didn't think about that...any suggestions? Should previously-judged models be disallowed? Keeping official track of that would be a PITA and changing the rules to allow previously-painted and -judged models may be unfair to previous model and diorama painters. Open to suggestions from anyone!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

Hmmm yes, didn't think about that...any suggestions? Should previously-judged models be disallowed? Keeping official track of that would be a PITA and changing the rules to allow previously-painted and -judged models may be unfair to previous model and diorama painters. Open to suggestions from anyone!

Well, we're already required to provide a photo of the unpainted diorama, right? Perhaps the diorama submission photo could also include the painted minis, possibly with a link to the oath-complete post they were finished in (assuming the minis were done in the oath season why did I have to open this can of worms)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

krushgroove posted:

"If you use models or terrain previously judged during this oath season, you must provide a picture with the previously-judged components removed. This is the picture that will be used as final judging at the end of the oath season."

This allows people to add previously-done models to a scene for the diorama points, but puts them at a tremendous disadvantage to those building a diorama completely from scratch with respect to the separate diorama contest.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Well, the general scale for the hero/villain/mook figures is 25-28mm; but the temple and zeppelin markers are way off that scale, and not in scale with each other. The zeppelin is something like 1/3200 when scaled against the actual Graf Zeppelin II, and the temples (which appear to be based on the El Castillo pyramid at Chichén Itzá) are about 1/1170.

OK I'm going to call these 28mm because they're tokens for a 28mm game, and not meant to be lifelike representations of the actual thing in-scale to the game. Also because that's more convenient for me, heh.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Fully expecting like, half the people who bought into bones to be painting this guy for OSL.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I already did him for NMM. :sigh:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
:siren: Oath complete! :ducksiren:

Aww yeah:

The rest of the squad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

thespaceinvader posted:

Fully expecting like, half the people who bought into bones to be painting this guy for OSL.

That's totally my plan :(

• Locked thread