Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name-drop Fellini
Nov 21, 2001

Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime.

sticklefifer posted:

Wait, since this is an unnumbered side story, does that mean PA5 is going to be good or suck?

Maybe they'll give the next one a subtitle and spare us a semantics debate. It will be interesting to see if they still rush the next one out in October, the opening weekend gross of this one isn't too hot (it's declined to the neighborhood where they ended the Saw franchise) and IMDb lists the next as still in pre-production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Kvlt! posted:

I laughed at so much more in that movie than the fake beard.

There were a lot of great things in the film!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There are so many good stupid little things in that movie.

I like The Conjuring, but Insidious 2 feels like the goofy, fun version of that film. The bumbling duo were also great.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Slasherfan posted:

I don't get the love You're Next gets. I thought it was a routine by the books home invasion movie ruined by awful acting, awful camera work and stupid humour. I wished it had been played more straight as the comedy wasn't funny and ruined the tone.
The best thing about it is easily Erin, a pretty kick rear end heroine and the only person in the entire movie who could act. People keep saying it's very violent but I can't remember any of the violent moments.
The camera jerking around was very distracting and made the movie look really cheap. It wasn't throughout the entire film but when it happened it was noticeable.
I don't understand how this is the one critics praised. I've seen a lot of these kinds of movies and the acting in You're Next is worse then you normally find.
I don't hate it, I just find it very average, something that probably could have been better.

I've never been as bored watching a slasher movie as I was throughout You're Next. The only good aspect of the movie is the soundtrack. Everything else (including the acting, oh god, the acting) is just awful, it's like the movie is constantly 5 minutes behind itself. You're aware of the situations it's about to set up, are then forced to go through the tedious rigamarole of watching this setup happen, and then watch everything just play out exactly as you were hoping it wouldn't. The only fakeout comes at the end when it's revealed that there are no fakeouts, lol just a lovely movie.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I enjoyed the hell out of the new Paranormal Activity. Those films are so fun with packed, responsive audiences.

Caros
May 14, 2008

rawdog pozfail posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of the new Paranormal Activity. Those films are so fun with packed, responsive audiences.

I have to say I was REALLY surprised that I came out of Paranormal Activity: Mucho Ghosto with such a positive opinion of it.

Every year me and a good friend see at least one horror movie we think will be crap. We started with Saw IV and mined that crazy train until the end, then hopped on Paranormal Activity. This last year was weird because we had to switch to Insidious 2 (We go now to the ghost being a bitch, Ghost?) and The Conjuring (Evil which checklist: Tried to sacrifice son to devil, check. Got caught in the middle, Check. Ran out back and declared love for Satan, Check. Cursed anyone who took her land, Check...) so I was kind of happy to get back to a 'traditionally' lovely horror film as a guilty pleasure.

I actually really liked Paranormal Activity, but I think the series has been on an incredible downward slide since the first film, culminating in the steaming pile that was #4 so I made sure we went to an afternoon showing so there wouldn't be anyone to get annoyed at our heckling. But the fact is, the film really didn't earn much in terms of heckling.

So what did it do right? There be HUGE spoilers here:

Camera use - The later films in the series have very much suffered the question 'why'? Paranormal Activity was based all around the camera as a point of focus, while later films just continued having cameras because that was how it was done. This leads to some stupid points where obviously supernatural stuff happens on camera, but no one ever looks at the footage and notices it. By contrast Mucho Ghosto is a hand held camera movie in its entirety and the filmmakers wisely take advantage of and acknowledge the camera a lot more than later films.

Acceptance - One of the things that was done right in the first movie is that the characters in the movie accept the supernatural out of the gate. Katie is scared of the 'ghost' and her boyfriend, while skeptical is on the look out for it. Things that are scary for the viewer are scary for the characters in the movie and that empathy helps a lot. Later movies once again ignore this, particularly in the middle chunk of the films, by having 'weird' stuff happen on the tapes without ever being acknowledged or noticed by the people in the movie.

Mucho Ghosto, because of its held camera view, guarantees that anything frightening that is seen by the camera is seen by the characters and as the film ramps up the viewer is never left going 'LOOK AT THE loving TAPE! There is a loving demon you twats!'

Tech use - The last film had the X-box kinect gimmick. This wasn't scary because it showed the viewer 'there is a demon here!' while the people in the film didn't know anything was really amiss. This movie has the 80's electronic toy 'Simon' and it is way loving scarier. In particular the scene where the lead character screams at the demon to leave him alone, where it responds by holding the red button, with the sound distorting was incredible. There was palpable malice in a loving 80's toy.

Pacing - Both three and four had immense problems in their end of movie pacing. For three it was the false climax which simply lasted a tad too long, where things got progressively shittier in the house, until the demon simply lost its poo poo and exploded the kitchen, only to have the movie stop for a ten minute break before getting into the real ending. For four it was the abruptness of it. Katie and the demon bum around until that last ten minutes, then straight up murder everyone in quick succession, begging the question of why they didn't just do that to begin with. I like to quote family guy for the end of #4: "Nothing's happening, nothing's happening.. its over. The audience looks pissed."

The Marked Ones has a constant build up of tension and fear. Like the first film there is never a moment where you think things are alright, which prevents the building dread from ever leaving the viewer.

Cinematography - I don't normally notice this, but this movie has amazing loving shots in it, especially at the end. The first one that hit me was at the farm house. It's been 2+ years since I've seen Paranormal Activity 3, but the moment the camera focuses on the far door at the farm house I was instantly brought back to the near identical scene from the third film. Same location, same lighting and framing... the film didn't have to tell me that it was the farm house from the third movie it revealed it in such a way that I actually admitted outloud that was a drat good shot. The false scare at the end of the scene is likewise awesome.

The film does the same, but different thing when it comes to the finale. The shots used for Katie's house aren't ones that I recognized from the first film, but it only took a few seconds to figure out where he'd ended up, and I think most viewers will have figured it out before they show off pictures or other 'hints' and where and when they are.

Foreshadowing - Some of this is just chekhov's gun, but things like the baseball bat, the lovely car, the farm house and the 'evil' door are all foreshadowed well in advance. They show the baseball bat perhaps thirty minutes in but don't use it until an hour later when you've more or less forgotten about it. Paranormal Activity has never done foreshadowing especially well, so this is a nice touch.

Despite all of the things it did well, I do have to say I have one complaint however:

Time Travel and Found footage - Okay, I get by this point the found footage is just a conceit. We're just agreeing that 'yes, its found footage, now show us the film' as opposed to Paranormal Activity #1 and #2 which purportedly show 'real' events. But what the gently caress happens with the footage from this film? At the end of the movie the camera from 2013 travels back in time seven years to 2006. Why are we only seeing this now? Moreover, the amount of taping they were doing couldn't all have fit on one SD card. So its fair to assume they had several cards, yet only one went through the time portal.

What happens to the body and why is it never found or mentioned when it comes to Micah's murder from the first film. Is he even 'there' at all? He speaks a bunch and screams, which are noises you can't hear on the original film's tapes, which suggests that he isn't entirely real. Yet Micah reacts to him shortly before being stabbed.

I loving hate time travel.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Violator posted:

Speaking of Craven, I watched The People Under the Stairs this morning for the first time. It was exactly what I was expecting and not very good, but I love the early 90s so I enjoyed it. It was interesting seeing the Pastor from Silver Bullet again.

I like that movie. It's super cheesy, and that is what saves it. It just goes so over the top. It's like he tried to do three different exploitative genres at the same time and honestly didn't care if he succeeded.

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005
Like most of y'all, I enjoyed The Marked Ones, and really loved that the strayed so far from the McMansion formula that the finale features a dude blasting witches with with a shotgun. The time travel and reality warping bit when Jesse just pops into the living room in a violent burst were also pretty big leaps for a franchise whose craziest moments have all featured falling cutlery.

My biggest issue with it was the Ali character. Who was she, why did she know so much, how did the crazy guy even track her down, why didn't the protagonists ask her these questions, etc.? She might as well have showed up, handed them a pamphlet titled International Witch Covens and You, and left.

I might be in the minority here, but I don't even really want the overall witch plot to be advanced much more in future movies. If they go any further with it, things are going to get overly detailed / cumbersome a la the line of torturer successors in Saw. That being said, maybe they can surprise me and take it in new directions like the have in The Marked Ones.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

saulwright posted:

I might be in the minority here, but I don't even really want the overall witch plot to be advanced much more in future movies. If they go any further with it, things are going to get overly detailed / cumbersome a la the line of torturer successors in Saw. That being said, maybe they can surprise me and take it in new directions like the have in The Marked Ones.

I completely agree about not expanding further. Too many horror franchises self-implode due to trying to explain too much.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I really kind of liked the setup of the killers in Saw. It was John's baby, Amanda had the world's biggest case of Stockholm Syndrome in regard to John, Hoffman was just kind of a dickhead using the two loonies for his own ends. Part 6 did a nice job of exploring just how hosed up and wrong all three of them were.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
The Marked Ones was a really good movie considering it's a spin-off in a series that has been running out of steam for awhile. I liked that it was actually pretty creepy at times and not just a jump-fest.

But yeah, the Ali character was weird. I'm guessing we'll get to see more of her in whatever they do next (maybe she'll be the main character? It'd be cool to have one of these movies where they don't die at the end). Even so, it didn't make sense how they set her up to be this enigmatic character who nonchalantly meets with strangers to discuss supernatural insanity.

I've also given up all hope that this series will have a coherent or even somewhat satisfying ending.

Edit: Unrelated, did anyone see We Are What We Are? If so, thoughts? Thinking of watching it tonight...

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Caros posted:

Okay, I get by this point the found footage is just a conceit. We're just agreeing that 'yes, its found footage, now show us the film' as opposed to Paranormal Activity #1 and #2 which purportedly show 'real' events.

I hate this. I like this series and think this latest one is actually pretty darn good, but I think the last two have been hurt retconning themselves out of their own universe. When the last one came out I made a hyperbolic post speculating over how the characters could not have known about the prior Paranormal Activity movies and we all had a good laugh, but... it seriously bothers me that the movies no longer exist within themselves. Talk about a missed opportunity.

Otherwise, though, I think The Marked Ones is a breath of fresh air for the series, and I hope the next one isn't titled 'Paranormal Activity 5' because I'd find it unfair to sideline this as a spin-off: it gives us the escalation and progression that were sorely lacking from '4' and it really isn't that separated from the 'main' plot thread when compared to the prior movie.

If anything, I wish they took the new elements introduced here and went further with them. You can feel the shift in culture, which is nice, but I actually wished they made it more pronounced; it feels like they held back in order to keep the movie more in line with the Paranormal Activity MO. If I were to put my finger on what I felt was 'off' about the movie, it's mostly that I feel the characters would have taken the whole situation WAY more seriously MUCH sooner. Really, the precise moment that Jesse starts exhibiting signs of possession/supernatural powers, that family would have either driven him straight to church, or tried to become rich and famous (or both, hey).

The Friday the 13th-style 'hey let's get it on in this spooky-rear end place hurrr' scene feels especially inauthentic because, and I know how this is going to sound, but wanting to spend time in scary, purportedly haunted places where bad things have happened because it's fun is very much a white people thing. This isn't to say that Latinos and people of color are all a superstitious lot, but even in the current generation there's a "let's not take any chances" attitude when it comes to myths and the supernatural.

Of course I realize the movie is just doing its 'horror movie' thing where people do stuff like try to have sex in haunted houses, but that lack of reverence in the face of myths, superstition and the supernatural is easily one of the most widespread "white people are weird" stereotypes, to the point where there's always that joke with horror movies where, "if it were a black/Mexican/etc. in that situation, he'd be OUTTA there so fast". I thought it would've been more fun if the movie played around with this, rather than just keep presenting the same horror tropes with Latino characters.

I'll give the movie all the credit in the world for its ending, there were audible claps in the theater both when the crew arrives at the witch house and arm themselves with guns; made me wish they'd make an "Aliens" style sequel featuring a war between inner city gangs and a witch/demon coven as well as the the time warp to the first flick.

Oh, and I also really liked Hector. He's definitely the most sympathetic young male character in the series for me, and he actually seemed really scared.

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005
I don't know what to think about all of that, but I'm 99% sure I don't think the movie would've been better served by ramping up the characters' superstition (or money-hungriness? really?) just because they are latino. I mean, you already have the grandma freaking out about the Simon toy's bad juju and her weird egg ceremony.

I definitely agree with your praise of the actor / role of Hector. The comedic relief from the male protagonists in PA3 and PA4 was pretty good too. The series has come a long way from the one-dimensional parents in the first two movies.

I'm jealous of all of you who got to see it in packed theaters. I saw it last Friday evening with like 6-7 other people in attendance. The audience reactions have always been my favorite part of the PA series.

Caros
May 14, 2008

lizardman posted:

I hate this. I like this series and think this latest one is actually pretty darn good, but I think the last two have been hurt retconning themselves out of their own universe. When the last one came out I made a hyperbolic post speculating over how the characters could not have known about the prior Paranormal Activity movies and we all had a good laugh, but... it seriously bothers me that the movies no longer exist within themselves. Talk about a missed opportunity.

It is the one thing that really drives me nuts more than anything. The whole point of 'found footage' as a genre is to create an atmosphere that what you are seeing isn't some cheezy hollywood flick, its real. The first movie did this tremendously well, to the point that if you removed a handful of 'proofs' the movie could just as well have been a tale about the dangers of mental disease.

I get that they want to tell bigger and badder tales, but what I liked about the first two films was that they walked that razors edge of suspension of disbelief, the same way early marble hornets stuff did. And it makes me really sad that they've lost that.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Caros posted:

It is the one thing that really drives me nuts more than anything. The whole point of 'found footage' as a genre is to create an atmosphere that what you are seeing isn't some cheezy hollywood flick, its real. The first movie did this tremendously well, to the point that if you removed a handful of 'proofs' the movie could just as well have been a tale about the dangers of mental disease.

I get that they want to tell bigger and badder tales, but what I liked about the first two films was that they walked that razors edge of suspension of disbelief, the same way early marble hornets stuff did. And it makes me really sad that they've lost that.

I'd be 100% cool if the PA movies ditched the found footage gimmick and were just straight-up horror movies. I mean, I know that didn't work very well for The Blair Witch Project, but I feel results would be better in this case.

I watched We Are What We Are tonight. Very cool, creepy, kinda artsy fartsy horror movie. It was a decent slow-burn flick and I just learned that it's a remake of a 2010 Mexican Horror film and now I want to watch that.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
It seems an adaptation of the seriously creepy Fuan No Tane came out last year, slipping quietly under everyone's radar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmRwkXJW3Yw

Have anyone seen it? It seems this actually has a plot of sorts instead of being a set eerily short ghost stories, and I don't know how interesting that will be since the repetitive juxtaposition of extreme banality with unexplained grotesqueries staring back at the reader was what made the manga so unsettling in the first place.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Apes-Ma posted:

It seems an adaptation of the seriously creepy Fuan No Tane came out last year, slipping quietly under everyone's radar.

Have anyone seen it? It seems this actually has a plot of sorts instead of being a set eerily short ghost stories, and I don't know how interesting that will be since the repetitive juxtaposition of extreme banality with unexplained grotesqueries staring back at the reader was what made the manga so unsettling in the first place.

I want to see this extremely badly.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Slackerish posted:

I'd be 100% cool if the PA movies ditched the found footage gimmick and were just straight-up horror movies. I mean, I know that didn't work very well for The Blair Witch Project, but I feel results would be better in this case.

While I wouldn't want a traditional third person-camera narrative (really, the series' plot and mythology isn't anything special, it's all in the way the movies look and the way they're shot that make them appealing), I do think at this point the series could drop the 'you are looking through an in-movie camera the characters are holding' conceit and have the movie simply be first-person (you can still shoot it with consumer-quality video to keep the aesthetic spooky/consistent with the others).

I mean, aside from a couple instances where the characters acknowledge the camera, that's essentially what The Marked Ones is. They've dropped the 'Paramount Pictures would like to thank the families of the victims' card, they've dropped virtually all of the titles that made them feel vaguely documentary-esque (I think this time there was only one at the beginning that mentioned the date and city), and apparently the other Paranormal Activity movies don't exist (as movies) in this world (though I'm still holding out hope that we eventually get an explanation or acknowledgement in a later installment). And of course there's the silly scenes (that all the movies are guilty of, I think) where characters record what they're watching on a TV or computer screen with their handheld cameras. You could have made this movie simply "through the character's eyes" rather than an in-universe camera and with a couple tweaks it would have been the exact same movie.

saulwright posted:

I don't know what to think about all of that, but I'm 99% sure I don't think the movie would've been better served by ramping up the characters' superstition (or money-hungriness? really?) just because they are latino. I mean, you already have the grandma freaking out about the Simon toy's bad juju and her weird egg ceremony.

I know it sounds awful, but you can absolutely bet that the first thing lower-class inner city teens (or ANY teens, really) would do if they discovered they had psychic powers is to try to get rich and famous out of it. I'm not asking for much, maybe a scene where after submitting to Youtube they try to send the footage to TV stations.

I also don't mean to portray latinos and people of color as naïve and superstitious, but there are differing cultural attitudes to the occult and I think it was a missed opportunity of the movie not to explore that more. The superstitious grandmother is basically this movie's stand-in for the first film's new-age psychic guy. I just think that these characters would have a more "I don't know what's going on exactly, but this sure as hell LOOKS like some demonic poo poo so let's go take him to church" attitude to the situation.

Besides, how great would it have been if that girl they took to the haunted apartment just straight up said, "Uh, some lady got blown away in this room while doing witchcraft poo poo? gently caress that, good luck guys" and walked out of there?

saulwright posted:

I'm jealous of all of you who got to see it in packed theaters. I saw it last Friday evening with like 6-7 other people in attendance. The audience reactions have always been my favorite part of the PA series.

Horror is definitely the best "crowd experience" genre, in my opinion. Scream 2 is my favorite movie-going moment purely because the audience was so drat into it (hooooly poo poo that car scene), and even something like The Grudge was fun to watch because of the reactions. I'm surprised they don't put "scream tracks" to horror movies the way sitcoms have laugh tracks (I'm not serious, in case there are any Hollywood execs reading this thread)

Finally; has anyone else seen so many found footage movies that it effects how they see actual amateur home video? I was just watching some of my brother's family home movies over Christmas and it felt all ominous, like it was the set up for a found footage flick and something bad was going to happen. (It helped that my brother and his wife kind of look like Katie and Micah, too...)

Parachute
May 18, 2003

lizardman posted:

Horror is definitely the best "crowd experience" genre, in my opinion. Scream 2 is my favorite movie-going moment purely because the audience was so drat into it (hooooly poo poo that car scene)

Likewise, but especially because my younger brother poo poo himself when we were watching that in the theater.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Has anyone seen Big rear end Spider? I'm wondering if its worth watching.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

I want to see this extremely badly.

I'm varily curious, but I love the kid drawing a pitch perfect rendition of one of Maasaki's trademark faceless monsters.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Apes-Ma posted:

Man, I hope this is good. Gotta find me a copy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Apes-Ma posted:

I'm varily curious, but I love the kid drawing a pitch perfect rendition of one of Maasaki's trademark faceless monsters.

Horror manga doesn't have the most stellar rep being adapted to Japanese film horror (I like the trashy TV movies of Tomie) but I just can't help but be excited for this. I'll try not to bring too much enthusiasm so I can be pleasantly surprised.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Horror manga doesn't have the most stellar rep being adapted to Japanese film horror (I like the trashy TV movies of Tomie) but I just can't help but be excited for this. I'll try not to bring too much enthusiasm so I can be pleasantly surprised.

The Uzumaki movie is okay. Not as good as the books, but not bad either.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You have to get into the humor of the film, which unlike the manga is very overt and not as surreal (I hesitate to call the kid turning into a slug and a girl's father getting hypnotized by swirly fishcakes "low key"), but when you do it's not bad. My problem with it is that it looks very murky and cheap. If you're going to do suburban/rural horror, that atmosphere is all important, everything can't look like a CGI set.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I honestly prefer the film. The comic is Lovecraftian cosmic horror, about some inexplicable alien force from beyond the universe coming in and corrupting humanity.

The movie is about a backward provincial town and some kids who really want to get away from it, and said town becoming a grotesque antagonist in its own right until it finally gets its hooks into them and they don't even want to leave any more. It's a subtle difference, since in terms of actual plot beats they're almost identical, but I still think it's an important one.

It's also a nice counter-argument to all the cookie cutter Japanese films that equate technology and modernity with horror.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 7, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo, You're Next was loving incredible.

That blender scene.

:stare:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo, You're Next was loving incredible.

That blender scene.

:stare:
"Where's Felix?"
"I stuck a blender in his head and killed him
"
"...Oh."

I should have seen some of what was coming given how weird certain characters were acting at the beginning, but I'm pretty bad about predicting stuff so that complaint didn't apply to me much at all. Probably my second favorite horror movie of 2013.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only thing I correctly assumed about You're Next was that the creepy, sleazy brother was somehow involved with some part of it. I just didn't know how far it went, and really had no idea Crispin was involved until the end.

But on a rewatch, Crispin is acting very shifty himself throughout, and there are a few parts where he's trying to direct and steer characters towards doing certain things. At one point he even asks what Erin's doing when she's trying to text 911 and locking the windows, as if that's not a totally rational thing to do.

VV At that point, I was honestly betting on Crispin coming back only to be met with an axe in the face at the front door.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 8, 2014

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

King Vidiot posted:

But on a rewatch, Crispin is acting very shifty himself throughout, and there are a few parts where he's trying to direct and steer characters towards doing certain things. At one point he even asks what Erin's doing when she's trying to text 911 and locking the windows, as if that's not a totally rational thing to do.
The part that finally clued me in is after I realized she's killed almost all the attackers at that point, then it dawned on me that he was still unaccounted for. I remembered how he sort of casually wondered off and didn't seem that scared. That was almost at the end though so I can't take much credit for figuring anything out.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Just finished watching You're Next and was blown away. Best slasher type flick I've seen in a long time.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

foodfight posted:

Has anyone seen Big rear end Spider? I'm wondering if its worth watching.

I didn't regret watching it and found it to be quite funny, but the special effects are really, really bad! I don't mind trashy movies and bad effects but this is a step or two below Asylum levels of quality we're talking about.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I thought the comedy actually looked pretty decent. Even if it's the same joke from Arachnaphobia.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

In addition to ABCs of Death 2 coming out later this year, ABCs of Death 1.5 has just been announced, which comes out sometime this quarter. The premise behind it is, for ABCs of Death 2, they received 541 fan-submitted entries for the letter M. The producers liked a great deal of the submissions, and saw a chance to both expand the series and give great opportunities to some of the fans who worked hard or did really good, yet wouldn't be showcased normally. ABCs of Death 1.5 is composed of nothing but entries for the letter M.

The 26 films selected by producers Timpson and League for ABCs of Death 1.5 are Maria Ivanova’s “M is for Mactation”, Tim Rutherford and Cody Kennedy’s “M is for Magnetic Tape”, Christopher Younes’ “M is for Maieusiophobia”, Dante Vescio and Rodrigo Gasparini’s “M is for Mailbox”, Summer Johnson’s “M is for Make Believe”, Peter Czikrai’s “M is for Malnutrition”, Michael Schwartz’s “M is for Manure”, Steve Daniels’ “M is for Marauder”, Zac Blair’s “M is for Marble”, Eric Pennycoff’s “M is for Mariachi”, Todd Freeman’s “M is for Marriage”, Jeff Stewart’s “M is for Martyr”, Gigi Saul Guerrero’s “M is for Matador”, Wolfgang Matzl’s “M is for Meat”, Ama Lea’s “M is for Mermaid”, Joe and Lloyd Staszkiewicz’s “M is for Merry Christmas”, Carlos Faria’s “M is for Mess”, Nicholas Humphries’ “M is for Messiah”, Brett Glassberg’s “M is for Mind Meld”, Álvaro Núñez’s “M is for Miracle”, Barış Erdoğan’s “M is for Mobile”, Carles Torrens’ “M is for Mom”, Travis Betz’s “M is for Moonstruck”, Peter Podgursky’s “M is for Mormon Missionaries”, Mia’Kate Russell’s “M is for Muff”, and Jason Koch and Clint Kelly’s “M is for Munging.”

As much as I didn't like the first and don't have confidence for the second, or even this spinoff, I must say I appreciate giving fans an anthology film made entirely by people just like them.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really didn't care for ABCs of Death too much, but "Libido" is probably the most genuinely horrifying thing I saw last year.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Twin Cinema posted:

I like The Conjuring, but Insidious 2 feels like the goofy, fun version of that film. The bumbling duo were also great.

I kind of like Insidious one and 2 for those reasons, they're not terrifying, but they're jumpy enough and light hearted at points but not so much that it takes you out of the movie. It's a very difficult thing to pull off.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
ABCs of Death had some loving cool skits, enough to warrant the lame ones. It's also interesting that they chose the letter "M" for the spinoff because Ti West did "M" in the original ABCs and it was a major wet blanket.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really didn't care for ABCs of Death too much, but "Libido" is probably the most genuinely horrifying thing I saw last year.

Even if you don't watch the entire thing, every one needs to watch D is for Dogfight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxo4An-ceSE

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
So I finally got my poo poo together and watched Frontier(s). Holy crap, I won't be forgetting that any time soon! I dunno if I'm just more desensitised to violence than I thought, but for all the talk about how awful it is, it didn't gross me out too much. The worst bit for me was the cutting of the achilles tendon and I thought the circular saw/axe death scene was cool as gently caress. I thought things got a bit silly in the 3rd act, as people here said, but I think they managed to maintain the suspense, the only bits I didn't really like were the gun shootout bits, which somehow felt at odds with other parts of the film. My only other complaint would be that suspension of disbelief was definitely tested at points where characters have horrific things happen to them and still manage to get up and carry on. I know this happens in a lot of horror films, but given how the violence had a brutal realism to it, the lack of any real impact for certain characters bothered me more.

What else is worth watching from that sort of scene? Martyrs is the other one people talk about a lot, but opinions on it seem very mixed. Inside looks interesting though...

Edited as per advice below

nomapple fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 10, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Never mind

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007