Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I was thinking proof of cashing if it came to it vs. just giving him cash and then he goes "lol didn't get it, evict"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

LLJKSiLk posted:

Yeah her landlord called her today and called her a liar regarding what the guy pulled last night, and said he's going to make her sign a list of demands/raise her rent by $200, and who knows what else.

It's a month-to-month lease. So as long as her landlord gives her sufficient notice before the proposed changes and increased rent take place, he's probably in the clear.

If she doesn't accept the new terms, then he can opt to give her notice that he's not renewing her lease and have her move out. Going by this website, it looks like he only has to give her thirty days' notice.

LLJKSiLk posted:

AFAIK retaliation is illegal, but the guy doesn't manage his property like a landlord, he just randomly acts crazy, consistently smells of coors light, and otherwise is too involved with his property to the extent of showing up without notice, going through stuff, etc.

Unless he's entering your girlfriend's apartment without permission or notice, then this sounds more like a case of his being an rear end in a top hat as opposed to violating the terms of the lease.

LLJKSiLk posted:

The landlord is in the process of selling both properties to the dickheads, so at best I figured she could scorch earth it on the way out.

This is probably the dumbest approach possible to handling this situation, so for your girlfriend's sake, knock off the scorched earth bullshit.

LLJKSiLk posted:

She's given me cash so I could write checks to pay her rent before so she didn't have to pay cash, any way that gives me more rights?

No. You don't have any rights regarding her lease.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

LLJKSiLk posted:

Yeah her landlord called her today and called her a liar regarding what the guy pulled last night, and said he's going to make her sign a list of demands/raise her rent by $200, and who knows what else.

AFAIK retaliation is illegal, but the guy doesn't manage his property like a landlord, he just randomly acts crazy, consistently smells of coors light, and otherwise is too involved with his property to the extent of showing up without notice, going through stuff, etc.

The cars are a 2008 Toyota Tacoma and a jeep. Neither is loud. I haven't brought my harley for a visit ever.

The landlord is in the process of selling both properties to the dickheads, so at best I figured she could scorch earth it on the way out.

She's given me cash so I could write checks to pay her rent before so she didn't have to pay cash, any way that gives me more rights?

You should definitely trash the place. No reason not to give the people who hate you a legitimate reason to sue you when they become the property owners/your GF's landlords.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but

1. Move out

2. Move out

3. Get landlord out to the property

4. Get police at property while (3) is in effect

5. Move out

I know this is a multistep process but I have provided a guide and I don't think items one and two have to be completed before the others are attempted. Thoughts from thread?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

NancyPants posted:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but

1. Move out

2. Move out

3. Get landlord out to the property

4. Get police at property while (3) is in effect

5. Move out

I know this is a multistep process but I have provided a guide and I don't think items one and two have to be completed before the others are attempted. Thoughts from thread?

While NancyPants' advice above is great and would undoubtedly be great in many situations, have you considered moving out?

You could also move out, or move out, or even better move out.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

FrozenVent posted:

Move. Move move move move move move. Move. Moooooooooooooove.

MOVE.

I am not a lawyer, but a) your gf should move and b) if her name is on the lease she is the only party to that contract with the landlord it doesn't matter who wrote the check and c) MOOOOOOOOOOOVE THE FUUUUUUUUUUCK OOOOOOOUT!

P.S. Your gf should move out

Edit: what I'm trying to say here is, your girlfriend should remove herself from the situation by packing her poo poo and moving out. There is nothing to gain by not moving out, Move out,

FrozenVent posted:

While NancyPants' advice above is great and would undoubtedly be great in many situations, have you considered moving out?

Not to put words in your mouth, but I think what you are saying amounts to moving out. Perhaps they should consider that?

spog fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 5, 2014

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Agreed. Should she pay her final month of rent (due on the 15th) or just give her own voluntary notice?

Or should she wait to refuse the b.s. Today?

All I was thinking re: checks plus my entering the property more than 30 times in a calendar year could make me a party to any small claim action because she isn't great at handling such things.

In any event, I will advise her to terminate her lease.

The only thing she's going to have issue removing from the unit is a refrigerator her stepdad gave her. I can probably arrange a spare bedroom on a temporary basis. Thanks guys.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

She should

1) Line up a new place.
2) Refuse to sign anything new today.
3) If she has lined up a new place, tell the landlord she's moving out.
4) Pay rent up through the date she intends to be there. If she can get out by the 15th, then paying her last month's rent doesn't make a lot of sense. (But she might end up needing to anyways depending on lease terms. The easiest way is to have her tell the landlord "I'm planning on moving out by X. How about I just pay rent through X and that way neither you nor I have to keep dealing with this BS?")
5) MOVE THE gently caress OUT!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I might catch a lot of flack for this, but I'm going to go against the popular opinion here and say that maybe she should move out instead.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Well, I told her that what she should do is move all of her stuff into my house/storage temporarily this week. Once all her stuff is out, then she can just tell the landlord she's no longer living there, and tell him where the spare keys are. Then just send his calls to voicemail.

If he attempts to collect rent because she didn't give 30 days notice, just counter-claim landlord retaliation, etc. to get it dropped.

More than likely he'll just be happy to have the problem solved.

She has anxiety issues, so the landlord being a huge prick sets off panic attacks, and she's non-confrontational so I figure it is just easier to tell her the best way to do avoidance of the issue.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
It's so cute, the baby lawgoon ducklings getting their first SiLk post.

Tanisen
Sep 19, 2002

Smile... Rakka...
This may take a bit but here's my situation. We bought this house 2.5 years ago in Tulsa, Oklahoma. We used a first time homebuyer's program to get a few thousand dollars added to our down payment. We have to live here another 2.5 years or pay a portion of that money back. We didn't have any problems until about a year later then neighbors just went to poo poo. The neighborhood itself is an okay working class area. The house north of us has tons of people coming and going and constant problems. There were 11 different cars over there throughout yesterday.

There are Intoxicated teens yelling, crazy people, not today whores, cool guys, boyfriends, relationship drama, money arguements (bonus me in jammies), bucket throwing, kids with wiffle bats, and to top it off a couple public urination videos. These are the highlights mind you. There's more that goes on that we aren't home to hear happening and don't have enough free time to scan videos everyday to see what the neighbors did.

A brother and sister couple 'run' the house. The county records show the house to be in someone else's name and her age to be 85 so I'm guessing it's grandma. Where grandma actually is, I have no idea. There are/were two teenage daughters there that bring a lot of this poo poo home with them. Supposedly one of them moved away. The blond guy in these videos is her boyfriend and still comes and goes out of the house, even without a girlfriend being there.

Now, nobody works (surprise) so we suspect they are both on disability. They LOOOOVE meth (again, surprise)! This is the old dealer. We have multiple videos of him pulling his stash out and dealing. Here is the new dealer. Again, multiple videos and more info on this situation.

I got tired of all the activity next door and went on a police ride-along. I rode with one of the cops I had talked to before after they busted a guy next door for stealing a vehicle. He was cool about everything and loved what I was showing him. He did a lot to follow these guys and try to bust them without having to use our footage and expose my family to retaliation. Eventually he helps state marshalls with some info during their raid that busts dealer 1. He says he's going to start working on the other guys but gets assigned to a new beat. He introduces me to the new cop but he doesn't seem to be very interested after a few text exchanges. So, dealer 2 is still out and about.

Before dealer 1 was busted he broke up with his girlfriend and she slashed his tires. He decided he needs to steal my spare off the truck. Might skip ahead a bit there's some down time between action. The car backs up to give him cover. He stays under the truck and lowers the tire. Then they try to hide behind the car again and roll it over to his truck. Good cop did a report for me and told detectives to call me. They came by the house, while we were both at work, knocked and left. Never called. So, that went nowhere.

They decided to hit my truck again last month, fourth time now. Here's the idiot thinking he's a ninja and his buddy. It takes them a few minutes to destroy the entire lock and handle on that side and get in. Then, as you can see, they run straight back into the house!

I call the cops and get a new officer. Another report, videos turned over, and no detectives even coming by this time.

So, what the gently caress do I do? My wife is scared to death of being here and I expect to come home any day to a cleaned out house.

Tanisen fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 6, 2014

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

Tell the landlord that you've registered a deed with the county based on squatters rights and aren't going anywhere and don't need to sign a thing to remain in your own property.

Also, start waving around a knife when you talk so people know you're serious. You've probably had these issues because you failed to wave around that pig sticker.

By no means move out. Take the crazy all the way to the end game.

The funny thing is that we're also discussing police interrogations in this thread. Take notes.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

jassi007 posted:

I have a question about someone I know. I know up front the answer is he needs to lawyer up ASAP. I'm just looking for some information on what level of trouble he could be in. On our local PD facebook page, the police are looking for 2 persons. A man and a woman. The woman allegedly stole someones purse. The police have photos from a local retail store where the alleged crime occurred. A coworker and I are fairly certain the man is someone we work with. The woman is the one who supposedly stole the purse according to what the local PD posted. So lets say he was with her when this crime occurred. I'm sure he is guilty of something if in fact it did occur. If he were to get a lawyer and talk to the police, is there anyway he could come out with minor charges/no charges if he cooperated? This is assuming she did it obviously. We're trying to contact him but I'm worried this guy is in pretty deep poo poo. He is right?

Not that anyone cares, but my coworkers GF saw the facebook post, turned herself in, was questioned then arrested. he was released with no charges. Of course the police still have his face plastered all over their facebook page and refuse to take it down even though it says "Officer Friendly of County X PD determined that the male who accompanied the female was NOT involved with the theft."

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

patentmagus posted:

Tell the landlord that you've registered a deed with the county based on squatters rights and aren't going anywhere and don't need to sign a thing to remain in your own property.

Also, start waving around a knife when you talk so people know you're serious. You've probably had these issues because you failed to wave around that pig sticker.

By no means move out. Take the crazy all the way to the end game.

The funny thing is that we're also discussing police interrogations in this thread. Take notes.

I definitely heard from a “friend" that police ARE allowed to lie, BUT if you ask them three times if they are a cop and they say no, it's entrapment. I would recommend that you keep this little loophole on the DL but you may use this to your advantage.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Did you know that if you take a cop's badge that he no longer is a cop and you are now the cop. Just remember that the shiny thing on his chest is not his badge, that is his shield. His badge is the ID card thing he has.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And remember that if someone attempts to unlawfully abduct your person (a.k.a. "arrest" you) just be sure not to create joinder between your person and the legal fiction that was created when you were born. As long as you do that, you're immune to any actions taken against you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tanisen posted:

This may take a bit but here's my situation. We bought this house 2.5 years ago in Tulsa, Oklahoma. We used a first time homebuyer's program to get a few thousand dollars added to our down payment. We have to live here another 2.5 years or pay a portion of that money back. We didn't have any problems until about a year later then neighbors just went to poo poo. The neighborhood itself is an okay working class area. The house north of us has tons of people coming and going and constant problems. There were 11 different cars over there throughout yesterday.

There are Intoxicated teens yelling, crazy people, not today whores, cool guys, boyfriends, relationship drama, money arguements (bonus me in jammies), bucket throwing, kids with wiffle bats, and to top it off a couple public urination videos. These are the highlights mind you. There's more that goes on that we aren't home to hear happening and don't have enough free time to scan videos everyday to see what the neighbors did.

A brother and sister couple 'run' the house. The county records show the house to be in someone else's name and her age to be 85 so I'm guessing it's grandma. Where grandma actually is, I have no idea. There are/were two teenage daughters there that bring a lot of this poo poo home with them. Supposedly one of them moved away. The blond guy in these videos is her boyfriend and still comes and goes out of the house, even without a girlfriend being there.

Now, nobody works (surprise) so we suspect they are both on disability. They LOOOOVE meth (again, surprise)! This is the old dealer. We have multiple videos of him pulling his stash out and dealing. Here is the new dealer. Again, multiple videos and more info on this situation.

I got tired of all the activity next door and went on a police ride-along. I rode with one of the cops I had talked to before after they busted a guy next door for stealing a vehicle. He was cool about everything and loved what I was showing him. He did a lot to follow these guys and try to bust them without having to use our footage and expose my family to retaliation. Eventually he helps state marshalls with some info during their raid that busts dealer 1. He says he's going to start working on the other guys but gets assigned to a new beat. He introduces me to the new cop but he doesn't seem to be very interested after a few text exchanges. So, dealer 2 is still out and about.

Before dealer 1 was busted he broke up with his girlfriend and she slashed his tires. He decided he needs to steal my spare off the truck. Might skip ahead a bit there's some down time between action. The car backs up to give him cover. He stays under the truck and lowers the tire. Then they try to hide behind the car again and roll it over to his truck. Good cop did a report for me and told detectives to call me. They came by the house, while we were both at work, knocked and left. Never called. So, that went nowhere.

They decided to hit my truck again last month, fourth time now. Here's the idiot thinking he's a ninja and his buddy. It takes them a few minutes to destroy the entire lock and handle on that side and get in. Then, as you can see, they run straight back into the house!

I call the cops and get a new officer. Another report, videos turned over, and no detectives even coming by this time.

So, what the gently caress do I do? My wife is scared to death of being here and I expect to come home any day to a cleaned out house.

With that video, you can almost certainly get an RO against the people that did it. It will make future arrests easier.
Oh and the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Call a sergeant or the officer you know.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

BgRdMchne posted:

Did you know that if you take a cop's badge that he no longer is a cop and you are now the cop. Just remember that the shiny thing on his chest is not his badge, that is his shield. His badge is the ID card thing he has.

That ID thing is called a "credential" and works kinda like bitcoin. Transfer it to your own wallet and you're -almost- done. You also have to join the police union. It's best done in person and you absolutely have to turn in the old paper credential before they issue you a new one. The easiest way is to go to a union meeting. They'll swap out the credential, congratulate you, and ask you to join the meeting. For extra points, show them a handgun. Don't make them ask to see it and remember that an officer never ever surrenders his weapon.

Tanisen
Sep 19, 2002

Smile... Rakka...

nm posted:

With that video, you can almost certainly get an RO against the people that did it. It will make future arrests easier.
Oh and the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Call a sergeant or the officer you know.

We don't know who they are. These are people that come over to see the residents.

What can we do against the people living there that are letting these upstanding citizens run amok?

Edit: Back at the desktop: These people always coming and going outside change over time as they get pissed off at each other. You'll see the same car show up everyday for a couple months then they don't come back again. New ones show up from time to time and then there are cars that stop once and never come back. I seriously think and are moving stolen property/drugs through the house. For awhile they were unloading a truck with a camper into the back yard on a daily basis then slowly putting 'random' items into other vehicles.

The cops act like they siblings have just basically given up on life and stick to meth fueled funtimes. This leaves the house as their honeypot to fish out of from time to time.

Tanisen fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 5, 2014

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Tanisen posted:

We don't know who they are. These are people that come over to see the residents.

What can we do against the people living there that are letting these upstanding citizens run amok?

Edit: Back at the desktop: These people always coming and going outside change over time as they get pissed off at each other. You'll see the same car show up everyday for a couple months then they don't come back again. New ones show up from time to time and then there are cars that stop once and never come back. I seriously think and are moving stolen property/drugs through the house. For awhile they were unloading a truck with a camper into the back yard on a daily basis then slowly putting 'random' items into other vehicles.

The cops act like they siblings have just basically given up on life and stick to meth fueled funtimes. This leaves the house as their honeypot to fish out of from time to time.

Man this is a tough thing... I would say call the Mayor's Action Line, you can find it somewhere on the City of Tulsa website. Other than that I would keep pinging away at all of the cops, and filing police reports.

I live in Tulsa as well, and it is not nearly as nice as it used to be.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tanisen posted:

Do you know your other neighbors? If not, get to know them. I bet most of them hate them too. Create a unified front.
Contact local official and complain and ask for help. A sample:
City council member
Mayor
Local state level reps
City attorney
Chief of police
Head of local pd substation.
District attorney
Report any ordinance violations to code enforcement.

Do this by written letter and call to follow up every week until you get a response. (No email, except as follow up. Mailed or faxed letters are taken more seriously)
Send one letter per person. This can work even if your neighbors don't want to get involved, but the more letters, the better.
If you get no relief, contact the local media and cc the letters you sent to the officials to them.

Be annoying (but polite), it is how you get ahead in local politics. Local politicians have more power than people think and have few constitutants who contact them about real issues.

Tanisen
Sep 19, 2002

Smile... Rakka...
Good ideas. I've been holding back on code enforcement for awhile as an Ace card type of deal just to annoy them. The brother next door is a really nice guy to talk to. How he is behind the facade isn't something I know.

My wife has all ready talked to a few of the neighbors and they are sick of them as well. A couple said they were calling into the crime tip line awhile back but talk is cheap.

We'll make up some nice letters to mail. Maybe even print some up for the neighbors and just have them sign their names and we'll do the rest.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

In a perfect world, each letter would be unique. They get more response than a form letter.
That said, some neighbors with form letters is better than one alone if effort might be an issue.
There is a bad attitude among some police that some neighborhoods are unsaveable because the people who live there don't care. Prove them wrong. Neighborhoods where they think people care get better responses.
This is one of the main reasons rich neighborhoods are so much better policed, rich people know this system much better (and they give money to the council people so their letters always get read).
My uncle basically cleaned up the neighborhood his shop is in doing this with his neighbors. They had 2 active crackhouses on one street. The cops did nothing. My uncle basically did this and now it is a safe, if low income (though land values are up), place to live and work.

tschuss
Jan 6, 2014
Resolved.

tschuss fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 13, 2015

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Okay, I'll try to provide all necessary information in timeline format to make it easier to follow.

September 2011: I hired a friend, John, to design and build a website for me. We signed a contract and I have a copy of it. I paid him $1800. The contract did not include an end-date for the work. At the time, I was living in Texas (I now live in Virginia), and he was living in Florida (he now lives in China). He agreed to set up the website and teach me how to add content and move around the layout as desired.

Sometime in 2012: John moved to China and fell off the map. He was no longer on instant messenger or Skype. We communicated infrequently about the layout via email, but he did not show me any real progress. I was busy with work and other projects, so I didn't follow up with him as hard as I could have. I was able to see the back-end of the site using Expression Engine and see what it would look like (ish).

August 2012: I emailed John this message: "I am really upset by how long it is taking to get the site in any kind of viewable format. This is not what I expected when I contracted your services in Sept 2011. I know that things take time, but be honest: is this a priority project? If it is not, then I need another developer to finish the project. The lack of updates, functionality, and timeliness are not fair to my editors, contributors, or submitters." He begged off with some (probably legitimate) family medical issues and promised to update me soon.

September 2012: I emailed John this: "Let me know what your situation is when you get this; are you able to talk today (Tuesday)? Are you interested in and committed to finishing the project? I feel that everything is pretty far behind, but since I can't see anything about the back end (or even access it now) then I guess I don't rightly know what's going on." Around this time I lost access to the back end of the site (editorial controls) because I guess he deactivated my access account.

Later in September 2012: I emailed John this: "Tomorrow (Friday) I am going to begin using Wordpress for the existing domain. This could potentially screw up our email addresses. I wanted to warn you in case we break anything. Without being able to communicate with you, I'm afraid we're going to have to figure something else out, either breaking the contract or I don't know what. Honestly, I feel really let down and unhappy about the whole thing. I reread our contract today and it basically only states that I should provide graphics and text for you within a timely manner. I think I did that, but I don't think the code has been worked through in a timely manner.
I have to go to plan B. We should talk this weekend."

October 2012: We spoke either on the phone or via Skype and he said that he would break our contract. I said I'd take back $1500 rather than the full $1800 just to be rid of it. He asked me for information on transferring money via wire to my bank account, which I emailed him.

February 2013: This chat conversation happened:
Betazoid: hi.
John: hey
Betazoid: how is everything? how are you?
John: eh, it is what it is. what's up?
Betazoid: meh. just struggling to find a job here.
John: if you want, i can hook you up with my cousin who may have some job connections.
Betazoid: sounds good. how's your work going? last i heard you were bouncing around Asia a bit.
John: I still am. We're working on a new forex trading platform, but the cash that was supposed to arrive last month has yet to show its Emperor-clad face
Betazoid: fun stuff. when you're able to send it, it would really help.
John: yes, you are #1 on my list of people I have to send $1500 checks to. the list is only two people long, but rest assured you are #1
Betazoid: haha that makes it sound very bad.
(chat about his wife)

May 2013: I emailed John this message: "Any chance your life is more settled eight months later? I'm getting really impatient here. Please give me an update of some sort." He did not reply.

August 2013: I emailed John "I need to promote [website] at a conference soon. Any word on returning the $1500?" He replied, "Can you give me your wire info again? I have some cash for you." I emailed him the wire info AGAIN.

December 2013: I emailed John, "I'm going to keep checking on this until it's repaid. I really don't want to have to get a lawyer, but I will if it's necessary. I'm cutting you a break by only asking for $1500 of the $1800 back, but this is getting ridiculous. We are past the two-year mark for the contract and I have not seen a thing. I will forward you my wire information AGAIN." I sent the information.

:siren: QUESTION :siren:
Do I have any legal recourse to getting my money back? I do not have a current address for John, and the contract was signed in Florida/Texas while we now live in China/Virginia. I do NOT want him to build the website at this point, I just want my money back.

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 6, 2014

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

tschuss posted:

due to nonpayment of child support for his other child

Have you already accepted the fact that he's not going to pay you anything either since fiscal responsibility doesn't sound like it's something he's learned? In addition, there's clearly other people in line to get money from him and on the slim chance he ever does have spare money, by the time you go to court to try and get it before anyone else, he'll have already blown it on dumb poo poo?

Has he tried to get custody of his other kid, or initiate anything through the courts with regards to it(the other kid)?

tschuss
Jan 6, 2014
Resolved.

tschuss fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 13, 2015

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

jassi007 posted:

Not that anyone cares, but my coworkers GF saw the facebook post, turned herself in, was questioned then arrested. he was released with no charges. Of course the police still have his face plastered all over their facebook page and refuse to take it down even though it says "Officer Friendly of County X PD determined that the male who accompanied the female was NOT involved with the theft."

I'm interested in seeing how this plays out.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

tschuss posted:

Anyway. The question again is: is it best for me to proactively file for sole custody, or wait to see if he does?

I know literally nothing about family law and custody fights, but if you want a judge to give you something, you should ask them for it. Don't wait, don't sit on it, just go ahead and ask. Plus, if there's going to be a custody fight it'll be painful and involved regardless of when it happens, so you might as well get it over with quickly (particularly if he's currently got charges pending and other police drama).

tschuss
Jan 6, 2014
Resolved

tschuss fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 13, 2015

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

tschuss posted:

This is very true, of course. If money was no object I would hire a lawyer and be proactive. It's such a huge expense (financial and emotional) to prevent something that might not ever happen. You make a good point about doing it while there are charges pending/legal drama--you may not be making the point I think you are but if I do it now while this stuff is still fresh it could help me maybe. He's trying to "rehab his image" and it's pretty transparent but looks good on paper.

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. If you can get the custody order in place before he's able to rehab his image, then it's set and the burden's on him to get it changed. On the other hand, if you wait, then he can say "I know I made mistakes, but that's all fixed now and just look how good I've been in the last few months!'

It'd be worth getting a consult with a family law lawyer in town, too. I know it's expensive, but having a lawyer on things will 1) reduce the emotional cost, and 2) in the long run might be cheaper, since you won't have to try and fix all kinds of screwed up stuff later. That said, if it's completely uncontested at first you might be ok without someone. But it's worth getting a consult to see.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

tschuss posted:

Anyway. The question again is: is it best for me to proactively file for sole custody, or wait to see if he does?

I'm not a lawyer so feel free to completely disregard this, but if you think custody may be an issue in the future, it may be in your son's best interest to get it all settled before he's old enough to remember any of the stress, or get put in the middle

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

LLJKSiLk posted:

You pay rent and are living there? Sounds like he'd need to evict you, too.

tschuss
Jan 6, 2014
Resolved.

tschuss fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 13, 2015

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You pay rent and are living there? Sounds like he'd need to evict you, too.

I actually have my own home, I've just written checks because she didn't want to carry around a bunch of cash (She doesn't like banks, so just keeps cash). As far as living there, I've spent the night a handful of times, and have keys to the place. I'm there maybe 2-3 times a week. I'm not on the lease. I've just handled paying her rent a few times when she was away or wanted me to write a check.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

LLJKSiLk posted:

...I've just written checks because she didn't want to carry around a bunch of cash (She doesn't like banks, so just keeps cash)... I've just handled paying her rent a few times when she was away or wanted me to write a check.

Why do you keep saying this like it matters? Also, your girlfriend doesn't like banks? How long until she graduates high school?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You would not believe how many people do not like banks and keeps gobs of cash in their house.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tschuss posted:

Alt account, better safe than sorry. Just looking for a "what's the best of these two options" in child custody.

In PA what you would do is file pro se for custody and then get primary physical custody with visitation by him based on when you want it to be. You can also get a "Dad can't drive the kid" in there to. Custody is like 80% pro se and the courts and judges are usually able to help you.

You can also inquire in your county to see if they have supervised visitations, which is a thing here where I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Loopyface posted:

Why do you keep saying this like it matters? Also, your girlfriend doesn't like banks? How long until she graduates high school?

I was just answering a question. She doesn't like banks because of reasons. She's 25.

I spoke to an IRL lawyer today who gave me the following useful advice: :getout:

Honestly though, he said since we had voice recordings + documented harassment she could sue the landlord for 3 months of rent. But ultimately he just said to get out now.