Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cozmosis posted:

I had a complaint which made me return mine. It simply was too slow rendering and dealing with large textbook PDFs. The screen size is another story and that wasn't great for that purpose either, but if panning around was smooth I would have been fine with it.

Not sure if it's an issue with the hardware as some PDF readers worked better, but overall it was pretty abysmal even compared to the old iPad mini.

I think that's more of a software issue than hardware since both the Nexus 7 2012 and 2013 have higher specs. The only thing that makes my Asus TF201 slow is huge PDF documents, aside from that and after changing Asus' 4.1.1 for a CM 10.2, everything is smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hopefully this year someone releases a tablet like Nexus 10 but with a 11-12" screen. Often the nexus 10's display feels too small, when reading comics, watching videos, reading pdf's etc.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Ihmemies posted:

Hopefully this year someone releases a tablet like Nexus 10 but with a 11-12" screen. Often the nexus 10's display feels too small, when reading comics, watching videos, reading pdf's etc.

:psyduck: there's some mighty diminishing returns once you get into something with a screen that big, might as well do a hybrid laptop at that point.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ihmemies posted:

Get your hands on a Surface or a new Dell/Samsung Windows tablet. Most of them are 11-12 inches are are way too big.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

zer0spunk posted:

They had to revise the 30 pin connector, I'm guessing to deal with usb 3.0 which meant they had to revise the docking mechanism that was basically unchanged through about 6 different models. I probably should have known better then to give the first run a chance, especially since it's ASUS and their QA is all over the place.

It's a huge bummer to see what the 700 would be like without the terrible I/O making it lag on basic things. Not to say the 700 isn't useable, but we're talking night and day between it and the 701.

I'm not trying to slag it off too much, it's hardware from late 2011 and we're about to be in 2014.

It might get me to try the transformer they are announcing at CES that can dual boot android and win8 instead, or just go with a win8 2014 model all together now that battery life is finally on par with ARM more or less.

Eh, the tf700 can be pretty slow at times but there's still constant cromi ROMs being put out that salvages it. Again, I know everyone on this forum hates the transformer but :shrug: I'm hoping I can ride it out for another year or two before upgrading. Hopefully by then there's something nice and reliable that fits my (Apparently) extremely niche likes of having a keyboard with a dock/battery

What is this greenify app and why have I never heard of it? Looks nice

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Christoff posted:

Hopefully by then there's something nice and reliable that fits my (Apparently) extremely niche likes of having a keyboard with a dock/battery
:hfive: keyboard dock with battery buddy.

/clutches my TF101

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Christoff posted:

Eh, the tf700 can be pretty slow at times but there's still constant cromi ROMs being put out that salvages it. Again, I know everyone on this forum hates the transformer but :shrug: I'm hoping I can ride it out for another year or two before upgrading. Hopefully by then there's something nice and reliable that fits my (Apparently) extremely niche likes of having a keyboard with a dock/battery

What is this greenify app and why have I never heard of it? Looks nice

I've been experiencing some lagginess lately with my tf700. I'm running a custom rom too. I wish the RAM and storage spaces were faster. Every time google updates my apps my tablet just almost locks up, but it's unusable when updating apps. I wish it wouldn't update apps when I use the drat thing. I leave it plugged in at night with wifi allowed to stay on.

They really messed up with the 700. They should have put in 2gb of a faster ram with a faster storage drive.

I use CleanROM.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 5, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

nmfree posted:

:hfive: keyboard dock with battery buddy.

/clutches my TF101

TF201 with CM 10.2 Asus buddy :hfive:

I can outlast anything with the dock while using a wireless mouse.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, gently caress the haters. Aside from the quality control issues and lack of RAM I love the transformer. Finding out that you could use a bluetooth mouse is impressive. I know it's older hardware but I don't know why they aren't recommended more in this thread. You can find them fairly cheap on craigslist these days. I got the dock for $100 or so on amazon used. Anytime TF200/TF700 is uttered in this thread everyone comes in talking about how terrible it is and everyone should just get an ipad. I guess I just like being able to have a micro sd and sd card in, hdmi out, and connect to an external HD and easily transfer files around. Then the whole extra battery life with the dock! Glad to know I'm not the only one on here that ever defends the thing.

SlayVus posted:

I've been experiencing some lagginess lately with my tf700. I'm running a custom rom too. I wish the RAM and storage spaces were faster. Every time google updates my apps my tablet just almost locks up, but it's unusable when updating apps. I wish it wouldn't update apps when I use the drat thing. I leave it plugged in at night with wifi allowed to stay on.

They really messed up with the 700. They should have put in 2gb of a faster ram with a faster storage drive.

I use CleanROM.

Backup all your apps with titanium backup and do a clean install of the latest cromi-x. I can use the tablet fine now when it's updating. There's a lot of little tweaks in there like turning fsync off and such. You can also store apps/rom to sd card but I haven't messed with that.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 5, 2014

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
For the most part I've been very very happy with my TF201, but I have been planning on getting a new Nexus 10 whenever those come around. I love the keyboard/battery and having a real USB port, but the simple fact is the browser has been choking more than ever on simple web browsing, which is a problem for a primarily consumption device. I have a new Moto X, for example, and it's just so much smoother to use. And the wifi signal still sucks.

Though it's only been two years, so maybe I'll hang on for a bit more.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I think the Transformer series will probably move towards having Win8 (or maybe both), which is a better fit for it (the T100 doesn't have any of the lagginess issues that the Android Transformers do, and you can multitask more effectively in Windows than Android, in my opinion at least). The T100 would be miles ahead of the TF700/701 if it weren't for the baffling decision to make the keyboard dock crappier.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Aargh posted:

What's the general consensus on the Galaxy Note 10.1 vs the Surface Pro 2 price aside? I've been thinking about picking up a tablet for a while and really like the idea of being able to use it for sketching. I've a 5 inch phone (HTC One) so I don't really see the use of the 8's.

I know I'm really late to the question, but another thing to consider is that SP1's are starting to show up at really reasonable prices. Slickdeals had a link to a place you could get a SP1 128Gb for $468. The main difference between SP1 and SP2 is that the SP2 has about double the battery life by switching to haswell. I think the SP1 probably compares very favorably against the Note 10.1 except for weighing about double.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

waffle posted:

The T100 would be miles ahead of the TF700/701 if it weren't for the baffling decision to make the keyboard dock crappier.

I'm guessing the reason they made it worse is because they pack in with every single device as opposed to usually as an add on for the Android versions.

The other failing of the T100 is that it only has a 720p screen which sucks when everything else you have has standarized to 1080p and want to use it to remote into those other systems.

I wish the T100 dock was a full sized keyboard even through it would look a little weird to have a keyboard 20% larger than the tablet.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 5, 2014

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Guillermus posted:

TF201 with CM 10.2 Asus buddy :hfive:

I can outlast anything with the dock while using a wireless mouse.

I was surprised to see this one on sale at a used bookstore called 2nd and Charles for $47 a few days ago

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Popero posted:

For the most part I've been very very happy with my TF201, but I have been planning on getting a new Nexus 10 whenever those come around. ..
Though it's only been two years, so maybe I'll hang on for a bit more.

I'm in this boat; updating to cm10.1 has given new life to my tf201 so I can wait for the next nexus at my leisure - I'm browsing the forum on it right now.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

CROMI makes the TF700 usable but it certainly lags doing pretty ordinary stuff. The tablet just has horrible I/O issues, needed more RAM, and 1900x1200 is a huge resolution to push. Don't even bother trying to use it while applications are updating from Play

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's my only "but" to the TF201, it only has 512mb RAM but considering that I bought it on January 2012 and all the use It's been through, I can't complain. It literally killed my netbook (wich I rarely touch unless is to play Doom or some steam games when I'm not at home).

All things considered, I may get a nexus (more likely a 7) by the end of 2014 because I'm a sucker for stock android and performance.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 6, 2014

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Syrinxx posted:

The tablet just has horrible I/O issues, needed more RAM, and 1900x1200 is a huge resolution to push. Don't even bother trying to use it while applications are updating from Play

The 701 is what the 700 should have been if they hadn't bottle necked it with terrible flash.

It was a little faster then the snapdragon 600 in my phone, pushing 1600p instead of 1080p. Of course it had to have all kinds of quality issues coming out, like most models in the TF line.

At this point whoever can put out a hybrid with 1080 or 1200p, either one full SD and a usb3 slot or two usb 3 slots, some kind of HDMI out, and at least 8 hours of battery life will get my money. It can run unix for all I care as long as I can do the basic things I need (not games, not editing) while commuting.

Oh and it has to not fall apart completely or be built by people with poor depth perception so maybe you'll sit this one out asus.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 6, 2014

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

And Samsung answers with a 12.2" model :supaburn: : http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5278924/samsung-galaxy-tabpro-notepro-12-2-tablets-announcement-hands-on

quote:

2.3GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor with an Adreno 330 GPU, 3GB RAM, an 8MP rear camera that captures 1080p HD video, a 2.1MP front-facing camera for video calling, WiFi (802.11ac), NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, an IR Blaster, and S-Pen capabilities. In addition, the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 is expected to run Android 4.4.2 KitKat with a new version of TouchWiz (pictured above).

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 7, 2014

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
I still don't understand why new devices are still releasing with 4.2. It should be atleast 4.3 by now.

-edit- poo poo read that wrong.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So what about that new Asus transformer book duet thing? Just too ridiculous?

http://gizmodo.com/asus-transformer-book-duet-one-laptop-two-tablets-al-1495351978

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isn't Windows RT just 8 without the desktop?

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Aphrodite posted:

I think it runs Win8. That said I still don't know who it's targeting--it will probably be too heavy to actually use for long as a tablet (since it has a Core i7 and probably isn't fanless), so I don't know when you would ever want to use Android on it. In which case it's just a Win8 tablet with a dock that you end up using as a laptop most of the time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, noting that "no desktop" means that 95% of the programs that run on normal Windows 8 can't run on Windows RT.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's x86 so it's full windows 8.1. It would have to be ARM to be RT.

The reason for the product's existence is basically just to get Android running on more x86 chips as a proof that they work fine so that OEMs start using baytrail and its successors in mobile devices.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

waffle posted:

I think it runs Win8. That said I still don't know who it's targeting--it will probably be too heavy to actually use for long as a tablet (since it has a Core i7 and probably isn't fanless), so I don't know when you would ever want to use Android on it. In which case it's just a Win8 tablet with a dock that you end up using as a laptop most of the time.

Yeah, the Transformer Trio from last year is basically the same.

It's a cool proof of concept and they actually stuck some nice specs in there, but most reviewers say the only time they ever felt a need to use the tablet is when the laptop ran out of power.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, the Transformer Trio from last year is basically the same.

It's a cool proof of concept and they actually stuck some nice specs in there, but most reviewers say the only time they ever felt a need to use the tablet is when the laptop ran out of power.

The difference this time around its it's less like shell that has two completely different devices crammed in it. The trio used two different processors while this only uses the i7. Still a niche device though.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

JoeMB posted:

I still don't understand why new devices are still releasing with 4.2. It should be atleast 4.3 by now.

-edit- poo poo read that wrong.

I don't understand why new devices (especially tablets!) are releasing with hardware buttons. Don't people rotate tablets like, all the drat time?

This is why I'll never get a (non-Nexus) Samsung device.

Well that and Samsung sucks at software.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Having hardware buttons is great, especially on phones. I really don't see the point to having to have the buttons on screen on a phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Install Windows posted:

Having hardware buttons is great, especially on phones. I really don't see the point to having to have the buttons on screen on a phone.

Because having the back, home, and task switcher buttons on the side of the device while you're reading is dumb. Also because immersive mode in KitKat hides the on screen buttons when they aren't needed and it looks really nice to not have any visible buttons.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Because having the back, home, and task switcher buttons on the side of the device while you're reading is dumb. Also because immersive mode in KitKat hides the on screen buttons when they aren't needed and it looks really nice to not have any visible buttons.

Hardware buttons are much better for games and for kids using a device. It's a pain to accidentially touch the home button while playing, and it irritates my kid when he's trying to read his Curious George books on my Nexus 7 and he bumps the software keys. He greatly prefers my wife's iPad.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hardware buttons are much better for games and for kids using a device. It's a pain to accidentially touch the home button while playing, and it irritates my kid when he's trying to read his Curious George books on my Nexus 7 and he bumps the software keys. He greatly prefers my wife's iPad.
This will be much less of an issue once more apps support immersive mode.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

On the other hand, my two year old would CONSTANTLY hit the home button on the iPad, whereas Android devices without hardware buttons can have a way to hide all the buttons (kids mode type apps, or custom roms or GravityBox will let you hide the software buttons so there is nothing that can be accidentally hit).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't see how those are a problem on phones. And yeah, I have immersive mode all the time on my phone with back home and menu/switch.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

This will be much less of an issue once more apps support immersive mode.

It's probably the only reason I ever ran CM, since it has an option in the power button mention to hide the buttons. Although, it's not a good enough trade to have that but also a phone that locks up every ten minutes.

At this point I run full stock Android on my 5 and 7. I rooted so I could hack Pixel Dungeon save games, but besides that there's almost no reason for it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Install Windows posted:

I don't see how those are a problem on phones.

This is the tablet thread v:shobon:v

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Really basic question, but I haven't been able to get any answers online. I want to have a data plan on my Nexus temporarily. I've never had a data plan on any mobile device I've ever owned, so I'm really new at this.What's the most cost-effective way of getting this done? I live in Canada, by the way.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Does leaving my tablet plugged in even though it's fully charged harm the battery in any way? I think it doesn't hurt it because lithium ion batteries require a smart charging circuits that should know when to stop trying to charge the battery, right?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Woodsy Owl posted:

Does leaving my tablet plugged in even though it's fully charged harm the battery in any way?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Chrome is crashing like once or twice a day on my 2013 Nexus 7. It's not rooted, but I have switched to ART, and I'm using the Nexus 5 GEL. Is Chrome just this unstable or is it a consequence of using ART?