Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

IF you can remove the brake nut using vise-grips without deforming it & the flare, and IF the rounding-off isn't too severe, you may be able to file the faces flat again.

It's an extreme long shot.

However, it you're at the vise-grip stage, you are probably looking at a cut/new nut/reflare with a double-flaring tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Being that I'm the only person on the loving planet without a proper set of vise-grips (although I do have one of these), I'm seeing a purchase in my near future. Any excuse for another tool, right? I'm not too concerned with cutting it off completely if I have to, though. It will just give me an excuse to replace my old factory brake lines :).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Being that I'm the only person on the loving planet without a proper set of vise-grips (although I do have one of these), I'm seeing a purchase in my near future. Any excuse for another tool, right? I'm not too concerned with cutting it off completely if I have to, though. It will just give me an excuse to replace my old factory brake lines :).

Also get these, They are amazing

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00009OYGZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1388956834&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Seconded. I end up using this thing at least once a week.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Seconded. I end up using this thing at least once a week.

Thirded, I don't know how I survived for so many years without these.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How does anyone with a proper spanner set need one of these? It doesn't seem anywhere near as useful as actual vice grips, and can't do anything that channel locks/proper spanner/decent sized normal adjustable can't do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Great for plumbing, or to get a better grip on a fastener that a correctly sized wrench is a bit loose on since you can adjust it tight and then lock it down.

Basically, some of the benefit of vise grips without nearly as much risk of damage to the fastener. Also useful when you can't bring a whole wrench set for whatever reason.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Slavvy posted:

How does anyone with a proper spanner set need one of these? It doesn't seem anywhere near as useful as actual vice grips, and can't do anything that channel locks/proper spanner/decent sized normal adjustable can't do.

I came to ask the exact same question. I can't think of a job where I didn't have the right sized wrench or socket to break it free.

Edit:apparently I type slower when eating a popsicle and typing with one hand.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If rust is a thing that exists in your world having an adjustable wrench is very useful. That nut might have started out perfectly fitting the wrench but it sure as gently caress doesn't fit now. Having it clamp down hard makes it much more useful in that it will actually stay in place unlike a normal adjustable wrench which will loosen up or fall off all the time. Especially when trying to get in some awkward position.

Galler fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 6, 2014

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

StormDrain posted:

I came to ask the exact same question. I can't think of a job where I didn't have the right sized wrench or socket to break it free.

Edit:apparently I type slower when eating a popsicle and typing with one hand.

A "popsicle", sure. Also, buy one and you will be a believer.
Also, when it is 5 degrees and your fingers are numb it works so much better than the drat spiral gear on a normal crescent wrench.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Any goons here that work in aircraft maintenance? I attended a little talk at work a couple of weeks ago that talked about how the designers took "maintenance" and "what is humanly possible" and no part exists in isolation" into account when designing systems, fastenings, plumbing, routing etc. It was all very interesting & they showed some cad walkthroughs of an engine mounted on a wing, maintenance doors opening, human arm and recommended tool comes into view, bolts & brackets get removed, parts come out & in again.

Basically is that how it is in real life?

I do this for real in real life and we have things like huck guns, sockets, and mig torches modeled up and occasionally we check if you can actually use them

not airplanes tho

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
For stubborn brake line fittings you firstly need a brake line/flare wrench. THEN, if it is not coming loose, you take the vice grips and clamp them onto the outside of the flare wrench really tight. Obviously you have to do this before it gets rounded off.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well that's a new one...

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

This is what happens when you take your stuff to the Bonneville salt flats and run it for one week. This engine was freshly built prior to that, with no visible corrosion or wear. It still has salt on it. Lesson learned is that anything you take there has a (very) limited life span.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Could you have hosed it down after it had cooled to help keep corrosion from occuring?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, the salt flats are brutal. Honestly that looks like the underside of any 4-5 year old car here though, I wouldn't expect much trouble working on it.

Chassis/bodywork/electrical, oh boy that's a completely different story. They go to some pretty extreme lengths to seal water away from even the ends of wires, here's a great description of why: http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html

There's a pic partway down of a piece of wire hung over the lip of a jar full of salt water for 24 hours. There's a visible pile of dried salt residue under the end from saltwater wicking up into the other end, through the insulation and conductors, and down out the other end. It gets literally everywhere through any microscopic hole and corrodes horribly. This is why I won't buy a flood car, if the wiring works at all when you get it (hint: if the battery was left connected, it probably won't) it won't last more than a couple years without completely falling apart invisibly inside the insulation and splices and will exhibit the most maddening shorts and intermittent opens because of it.

They even use special wire (mil/space/avaiation spec, usually mil22759 series) with dual layer insulation, inside layer blue outside layer white, so that they can tell if there is a nick in the insulation.

As for brake line fittings... if it's still got flat spots, use that adjustable locking wrench. If it doesn't, grab your vise grips, set them as tight as you can manage, try turning it. If it starts rounding, walk the vise grips back and forth (attempt to tighten/loosen around 10-15 degrees) a few times to wear some low spots into the fastener, then release grip and tighten the adjuster screw as much as you can again. Repeat as necessary until it comes undone, every time you do this you'll make the flattish spots deeper and the fastener more football shaped. If you just keep trying to turn it instead of walking the jaws back and forth upon failure, you'll round it too evenly, but if you do this, it gets football/egg shaped and eventually you're going to have enough of a diameter difference that the jaws will grip and it'll either come out or shear off.

When you get the new line make sure you check the fittings, M10 brake line fittings look real goddamn close to an SAE 3/8 and will thread in about a turn and a half before they stop, leaving you wondering what the hell happened. That was a fun evening.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Citycop posted:

This is what happens when you take your stuff to the Bonneville salt flats and run it for one week. This engine was freshly built prior to that, with no visible corrosion or wear. It still has salt on it. Lesson learned is that anything you take there has a (very) limited life span.

Is that an actual offenhauser head? :ohdear:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Friends' pressure plate exploded. Moral of the story: Don't use cheap parts if you're gonna race it.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I bet that made a hell of a noise. My father once had a flywheel come partially though the tunnel in his drag car, it put out one hell of a show at the end of the track in the dark. He was lucky and now uses a scatter shield.

Slavvy posted:

Is that an actual offenhauser head? :ohdear:

Yuppers. There's a good reason you don't see a lot of old speed stuff anymore. It was used up doing what it was designed to do.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slavvy posted:

I'm probably the primary exponent of the things, and they really are way better than a normal adjustable. In the common situation where something is bloody tight, but only an open or adjustable spanner can be used, they're the best tool going. A regular open spanner or adjustable just deforms and slips, and normal mole grips chew up stuff too easily.

They're one of those tools I don't always need, but when I do, they're the best things going. I won't touch brake fittings without one on hand.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also: oxygen sensors. O2 sensor wrenches just bend open when the thing is (inevitably) rust-welded on there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Geirskogul posted:

Also: oxygen sensors. O2 sensor wrenches just bend open when the thing is (inevitably) rust-welded on there.

Hose clamp around the wrench ;)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Didn't realize I'd kick off brake fitting/vise-grip chat. I'll beat on it a little more this weekend, but I'm honestly not worried about it. The lines are 40+ years old and most/all of the brake stuff is getting replaced anyway. If I have to cut it off and replace it, so be it. Thanks for all the input.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Oh poo poo.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Hose clamp around the wrench ;)

:aaaaa: :doh: You just blew my goddamn mind, that's fuckin' brilliant.

Splizwarf posted:

Oh poo poo.
:argh:

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

InitialDave posted:

Doesn't your forklift have solid tyres though?

I'm mildly concerned about the sidewall.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
well. Atleast its in the proper thread. :v:

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I really ought to park it somewhere till I can sort out the tires, but I really ought to do a lot of things... :negative:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is $14.xx for that wrench a particularly good price, or typical? I want to hold off a bit but if it's gonna shoot back up to list price I'll just get it now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Typical. A year and a half ago they were $11. I've probably sold a thousand dollars worth of those for them and I don't even work at a store, I just tell people on forums/at the junkyard/on the trail to buy them because they're fuckin' awesome.

DrPain, I definitely wouldn't take that forklift on the highway without replacing the tires :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Godholio posted:

Is $14.xx for that wrench a particularly good price, or typical? I want to hold off a bit but if it's gonna shoot back up to list price I'll just get it now.

it's been lower:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/product/B00009OYGZ

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Geirskogul posted:

I bought a crow's foot sensor wrench, and it seems like it'd be sturdy enough to avoid this:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I use a ratcheting wrench for 02 sensors. you have to slip the plug through the end and slip it on down, but it makes it oooooooooo easy.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

atomicthumbs posted:

I bought a crow's foot sensor wrench, and it seems like it'd be sturdy enough to avoid this:

Nope. You're in for a fun time! :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you're taking the old one of couldn't you just cut the cable and slip a deep socket over it?

Disclaimer: never changed an O2 sensor.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Cakefool posted:

If you're taking the old one of couldn't you just cut the cable and slip a deep socket over it?

Disclaimer: never changed an O2 sensor.

Yup, but it doesn't help you tighten up the new one.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Veeb0rg posted:

Yup, but it doesn't help you tighten up the new one.

Which won't be rusted into place... :v:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lady at work claimed her elderly neighbor hadn't moved his older car in about 2 weeks. He went to back out this morning, and the treads were frozen to the driveway and tore right open. :stare: Is that even possible?

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

I once helped a friend remove an O2 sensor from the downpipe on his 2nd gen RX-7. He brought it to me because he couldn't get it loose with a standard wrench.

"No problem, I've got an O2 socket. You should invest in one. They're handy!"

My particular O2 sensor was an impact O2 sensor socket. Plenty of room for a breaker bar, so I slipped it on and... holy poo poo it won't budge! We both tugged on it and did nothing but flex the 3' Craftsman breaker bar. I grabbed a floor jack handle and used it as a cheater handle for the breaker bar. We both put everything we had into it and... SNAP! The O2 socket shattered.

As I try to comprehend WTF is going on and wonder if the O2 sensor is welded in place, I look at the sensor up close and personal and realize the O2 sensor bung in the downpipe is not round, but is hex and the O2 sensor JUST happened to line up exactly in the with the bung so my socket went past the sensor and we were trying to wrench the welded in bung loose!

I went and got my cheap-rear end HF O2 socket, placed it at the correct height on the sensor, and I accidentally loosened it when I put the ratchet on it. It was apparently not much tighter than finger tight. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Lady at work claimed her elderly neighbor hadn't moved his older car in about 2 weeks. He went to back out this morning, and the treads were frozen to the driveway and tore right open. :stare: Is that even possible?

Only if your tires look like this. . .

DrPain posted:

I'm mildly concerned about the sidewall.