Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Thanks for the links. Yup it's a 9xr and a 6 ch orange rx. Reading time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, I needed another plane to practice on before taking up my fancy new edge. The initial plan was to rebuild the FT3D, but I got distracted by this one:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852575

Except it isn't a 3D plane...but when I scaled the fuselage up 145%, it actually matched the proportions of the FT3D, so I'm taking the Cassutt fuselage and putting the FT3D wing and tailfeathers on it.

I'm still using Dollartree foamboard, but I'm stripping the paper off (I had to anyway, in order to make the curved fuselage) and it's saving a good 20-25% in weight!. I'm also (mostly) using gorilla glue, which is also a lot lighter than hotglue, so I'm hopeful that it'll come in under 450grams.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I'm wondering if this thread can help me with a gift for my father's birthday. He's been a pilot for 30+ years and just moved to a new house in the country with big open fields around so I want to get him an RC plane. Unfortunately, I've never dealt with any of this stuff before and I don't know where to start. Skimming though this thread it seems like you buy the air-frame/motors/electronics/batteries/controls separately? He a DYI guy so he wouldn't have any problem putting it together himself assuming there are instructions. Does this thread have any suggestions on partlists or where to start?

edit: maybe something like this?

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 6, 2014

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A couple of caevats:

While being a pilot certainly helps with flying RC, getting used to the orientations is still an issue, so a fairly slow 4-channel plane would be a better option
This one is pretty neat and can do basic aerobatics too.
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/EFL3100.html

Also, back when I was flying 'real' planes, most of the pilots looked down on RC. There was a small club that used the dis-used part of the airfield and they were universally looked down upon. Part snobbery/part NIMBY-ism, but it was there..Might be worth checking that your dad doesn't have the same attitude?:)

If you want to look at the DIY route, I still recommend http://www.flitetest.com/

(I posted a list of basic things earlier...I'll try to dig it up again)

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Kuvo posted:

I'm wondering if this thread can help me with a gift for my father's birthday. He's been a pilot for 30+ years and just moved to a new house in the country with big open fields around so I want to get him an RC plane. Unfortunately, I've never dealt with any of this stuff before and I don't know where to start. Skimming though this thread it seems like you buy the air-frame/motors/electronics/batteries/controls separately? He a DYI guy so he wouldn't have any problem putting it together himself assuming there are instructions. Does this thread have any suggestions on partlists or where to start?

I've only been doing this a few months myself but went off the list of parts from the guys here and this is most of everything that was needed. You'll need to know what plane he wants to build before you order batteries/motor/prop/esc but that all falls in line once you have an idea.

For example, this setup is ideal for the early swappables from flitetest. Their later/larger planes need more motor.

Also, as a heads up, the motor that is listed in this spreadsheet has a reverse sided shaft. I would find one that does not.

This was my first order of stuff and it just over $200. This isn't including all the tools to work with it, so I had a lot to buy in local stores. But this is the RC portion of stuff.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am6omgTpojZRdEZRclVqMDZwY3BkLXJjdVhUeE5KY0E&usp=sharing

EDIT: sorry it was made private at one point. I've set it back to shared now though.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 6, 2014

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

While being a pilot certainly helps with flying RC, getting used to the orientations is still an issue, so a fairly slow 4-channel plane would be a better option

After watching the two videos in that link I'm pretty much sold on this one. That SAFE system seems perfect for someone who won't have any formal training and will help prevent my gift from ending up in a million pieces 10 seconds after it leaves the ground.

There's a "parts list" tab that shows everything for that model, but I assume that adding the $299 kit includes everything? Is there any optional things I should get him (maybe another battery)?

Thanks again for the help!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Kuvo posted:

The Dynam Hawk Sky is one of a whole class of knock-off designs based on the "Multiplex Easy Star." The linked source for that plane doesn't sell it anymore, but there's plenty of similar ones like it. I'll come back to this in a second:

If you want to look at the DIY route, I still recommend http://www.flitetest.com/
FliteTest is a bunch of hobbyists who started their own YouTube channel starting with sponsored product reviews, but have since moved on to promoting DIY foam builds made "dollar tree" foam board. They sell laser-cut kits where you just punch out the pieces and glue it together, or you can download the plans and transfer them to foam board yourself for free. In their earlier sponsored days, HobbyKing dedicated an Easy Star knock-off to one of the two personalities, Josh Bixler.

Nitroplanes.com has their own copy-of-a-copy-of the Bixler called the WingSurfer in a RTF kit, and if my eyes don't deceive me it looks like they're using all standard parts. The receiver looks like it's the same as the Fly Sky R6B (same as the CT6B Rx and Turnigy/Fly Sky 9x receiver standard) so upgrading parts later won't be a total waste.

As for the DIY route, FliteTest has been producing a whole series of beginner videos, and from what I've seen so far it's really good.

I just wanted to point out that the price premium for this model has the advantage of relatively easy availability of spare parts. There used to be a schism between "US" and "Chinese" (knock-off) models, but these days even the US models are really just rebranded Chinese made parts. So the remaining advantage of buying Horizon Hobby or other US companies is that they tend to keep spare wing sets and bodies in stock in the USA in case you break it and need a new part. This particular model has a special r/c receiver that uses gyroscopes and accelerometers to stabilize the airplane and hopefully correct any newb fuckups, but no stabilization will just "make plane fly". Crashes will happen. Fortunately foam is easily fixed with duct tape, hot glue or foam-safe crazyglue.

If you're in the USA, then the real trick is to buy from somebody who's reputable and based in the USA so that they don't drop ship internationally. You'll get your order in a few days rather than in a few weeks.

Also, back when I was flying 'real' planes, most of the pilots looked down on RC. There was a small club that used the dis-used part of the airfield and they were universally looked down upon. Part snobbery/part NIMBY-ism, but it was there..Might be worth checking that your dad doesn't have the same attitude?:)
Oh, there's plenty of snobbery to go around. Even the "old school" r/c modellers turn their nose up at the new wave of cheap electric/foam hobbyists. It's part of the reason why I've stopped looking around the SF Bay Area for an AMA club to join.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I picked up a Syma X1 for xmas and it's been fun, but its a bit too big for my tiny rear end apartment. So I've been thinking of picking up one of the nano. Do y'all have any recommendations for which to get? I've mostly seen things about the Estes Proto X and Hubsan X4. I don't like that the Estes doesn't have a removable battery. And it sound like the remote is a bit dumbed down. I have read using the X4 tx livens up the heli quite a bit. Thinking the Hubsan is the way to go, the estes looks cooler though.

Derp. The Estes proto x is smaller than the x4. That's the size I want.. But would like to be able to replace batteries.

deong fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 9, 2014

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

deong posted:

I picked up a Syma X1 for xmas and it's been fun, but its a bit too big for my tiny rear end apartment. So I've been thinking of picking up one of the nano. Do y'all have any recommendations for which to get? I've mostly seen things about the Estes Proto X and Hubsan X4. I don't like that the Estes doesn't have a removable battery. And it sound like the remote is a bit dumbed down. I have read using the X4 tx livens up the heli quite a bit. Thinking the Hubsan is the way to go, the estes looks cooler though.

Derp. The Estes proto x is smaller than the x4. That's the size I want.. But would like to be able to replace batteries.

The Estes Proto-X is a lot of fun but it actually needs a bit of room because it's so quick. You can get it moving really fast in a large area. It needs about as much room as a Hubsan because it covers a lot of area quickly. The transmitter is indeed cheesey as hell and you can't fly multiple batteries through it. It's still a lot of fun for a cheap distraction toy.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
So happy to find this thread!

My best friend built a tri-copter last summer and I got sucked in to the hobby, which is great since the production house I work for does drone videography now. I'm still training to use our bigger hex-copters, but for fun I got a Syma X1 and love it. Though I do wish I could fly it outside more. It seems like that's the best place to really open it up, but it's been too windy the last several months to really play with it without risking it being blown away.

All that said, my original interest in the hobby kicked off like 20 years ago, but I was too young and poor to afford/maintain a balsa/gas plane. Regardless, ever since I've lusted after a Piper J3 Cub in that classic Yellow finish, and all the copter stuff I've been doing led to watching a bunch of FliteTest, and now I want to get into flying planes. I'm already fairly confident with controls, and I think I can handle 4ch rather than 3ch. However I'm having trouble finding the right trainer to buy.

Ideally I'd like to get a RTF yellow Cub, but I'm having a hard time finding one that's both in stock and that has good reviews. I've mostly looked at Nitroplanes and HobbyKing, and the Dynam model that Nitroplanes sells seems to have a really bad rep for breaking easily (struts, landing gear, etc), so if there's something I'm missing or if someone would like to suggest another model, feel free. I'd also like to be able to mount a GoPro on it at some point, if that matters.

Thanks!

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 9, 2014

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Wojcigitty posted:

The Estes Proto-X is a lot of fun but it actually needs a bit of room because it's so quick. You can get it moving really fast in a large area. It needs about as much room as a Hubsan because it covers a lot of area quickly. The transmitter is indeed cheesey as hell and you can't fly multiple batteries through it. It's still a lot of fun for a cheap distraction toy.

I guess it was the Husban Q4 (not x4) that I was thinking. I had an amazon gift card, and they only had the estes, so gently caress it. its mine! Can't wait to have my own insect!

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

DammitJanet posted:

My best friend built a tri-copter last summer and I got sucked in to the hobby... all the copter stuff I've been doing... now I want to get into flying planes.

Ideally I'd like to get a RTF yellow Cub

What's your total budget?
Do you already have a Transmitter / Receiver you're happy with? ("all the copter stuff I've been doing")
Do you already have batteries and a charger?

Not a whole lot of room on the Cub airframe for a GoPro if you're looking for something in the 'trainer category'.

Multiplex easy star & all of the clones are really great trainers that can easily fit a GoPro. Plus they're 4 channel.

EDIT:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/super-cub-dsm-rtf-HBZ7400

It's not yellow, but it does fit "RTF" and "Cub"

I've never flow this, but I've read great things about it everywhere for a long time. Aileron mod looks pretty easy too.

Widdershins fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 9, 2014

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Widdershins posted:

What's your total budget?
Do you already have a Transmitter / Receiver you're happy with? ("all the copter stuff I've been doing")
Do you already have batteries and a charger?

Thanks for the info! This is great stuff. My total budget is probably around $200. I have no TX/RX of my own yet, nor batteries/charger. I was kind of hoping to get it all in an RTF package, but if I need to add some things to get what I want (like an ARF yellow Cub and a separate TX/RX, batteries/charger, etc), I'm open to it.

Just for fun, here's our fleet at work. The flamewheel with landing gear is for GoPro shooting, the one on the right is for training, and the big daddy in the middle is for DSLR shooting.

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 10, 2014

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Just want to point out that these two goals conflict with each other:

DammitJanet posted:

Ideally I'd like to get a RTF yellow Cub,

DammitJanet posted:

I'd also like to be able to mount a GoPro on it at some point, if that matters.

Any plane that flies propeller first is going to be a bad choice for gopro mounting because the propeller will be obstructing your view. You should look for planes that have a mid-mount or rear-mount motor, like any of the gilder/trainers mentioned earlier in the tread. Such as:
  • Multiplex Easy Star
  • Dynam Hawk Sky
  • AXN Floater Jet
  • Hobbyking Bixler (Bixler 2)
  • Airwing Wingsurfer

Also, any models that have small joints will be more susceptible to breakage as smaller joints make for weaker structures. The support struts on cub models will be a pretty big target for breaks.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Newbie trying out the hobby. Built my FT Flyer already, now comes the time to order electronics. I have everything mostly figured out. For the Tx/Rx, would people still recommend the Turnigy 9XR + the Orange DSM2 module and receiver? I plan to mostly go the scratch build route. Also, any advice for city living, apartment dwellers with no car? (Seattle, specifically)

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
The 9xr and OrangeTX are great for starting out. You can rack up a few models before deciding whether you want to upgrade to something fancier. The 9xr is quite capable of doing anything you might want.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

EpicPhoton posted:

Also, any advice for city living, apartment dwellers with no car? (Seattle, specifically)

Do you already have a place to fly scoped out yet? Is there lots of room or only small parks? I would suggest sticking to slow lightweight planes like the FT flyer or the nutball, since it'll make better use of smaller spaces. Once you're getting bored with that, look into small 3D flyers.

In general, heavy = fast. The more weight you have (with less wing space) the faster the plane needs to move in order to maintain lift.

When you're ordering your radio and rx/tx sets, get 2-3 extra receivers. That way if you want to make multiple swappables or multiple models you don't have to keep moving the receiver around each time you switch planes.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?

Barnsy posted:

The 9xr and OrangeTX are great for starting out. You can rack up a few models before deciding whether you want to upgrade to something fancier. The 9xr is quite capable of doing anything you might want.

CrazyLittle posted:

Do you already have a place to fly scoped out yet? Is there lots of room or only small parks? I would suggest sticking to slow lightweight planes like the FT flyer or the nutball, since it'll make better use of smaller spaces. Once you're getting bored with that, look into small 3D flyers.

In general, heavy = fast. The more weight you have (with less wing space) the faster the plane needs to move in order to maintain lift.

When you're ordering your radio and rx/tx sets, get 2-3 extra receivers. That way if you want to make multiple swappables or multiple models you don't have to keep moving the receiver around each time you switch planes.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be going with the 9XR for sure then. Good call on the extra receivers.

There are a few parks within walking distance, one with a baseball/soccer sized field. If they prove to be too small, or unfriendly, there's some I can bus to. I'm considering trying to modify an FT Flyer to be somewhat collapsible, for ease of transport.

I'll definitely stick with slower planes until I get confident + more space.

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

DammitJanet posted:

My total budget is probably around $200. I have no TX/RX of my own yet, nor batteries/charger.

I still think your Cub + GoPro idea is going to have to wait until you're ready to pay more for a larger airframe and that an EasyStar clone is your best bet.

Let's pick the Bixler 2 from CrazyLittle's awesome list.

We can get your GoPro in the air for around $200

You'll probably have more questions

Widdershins fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 10, 2014

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Widdershins posted:

I still think your Cub + GoPro idea is going to have to wait until you're ready to pay more for a larger airframe and that an EasyStar clone is your best bet.

Let's pick the Bixler 2 from CrazyLittle's awesome list.

We can get your GoPro in the air for around $200

Just for posterity's sake, the bixler 2 is available as a "kit-only" (bring your own motor, servos, etc) in the USA warehouse, which means shipping will be cheaper and faster than shipping internationally.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31048__Hobbyking_Bixler_2_EPO_1500mm_w_Optional_Flaps_KIT_US_Warehouse_.html

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 10, 2014

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Can't believe I never noticed this thread.

Just finished a preassembly of my CineTank MK1 with Tiger Motor MT2216 motors, telemetry, and a Naza-lite. My biggest issues are the GPS plug blocking the battery from sitting well inside the frame and finding a replacement GPS pole. Hopefully I can work that out. So far the Isolated frame is neat. Should be pretty good when I get a light FPV camera on there. When I snap a frame layer hopefully it the opposite side will still be intact so I can punch one out of titanium with tighter honey combing.

I need to find a good deal on a 5.8 video RX/TX/Goggle setup soon before I overpay for new gear.

tehk fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 11, 2014

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

deong posted:

I'll throw in a vote for the Nano qx. Its more expensive than the rest of the pack but it can hold its own on high rates and slow rates as well. I was just flying mine around my bed room and now I'm about to fly it around my court yard from my balcony.

If you're not sold on a quad the micro vapor plane from parkzone makes a great indoor plane as well.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Almost there:

Need to install control rods and finish the battery hatch.
Was going to maiden it before painting, but with the current weather forecast, I might just end up painting it first.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Nice wheel pants :3

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Got to fly the Spitfire finally! What a nice plane to fly. It tracks so well I had to do 0 trimming. It's really nice. Only thing I wished was that I had more daylight/batteries.

Here's a small video my wife took. Sorry for the kid chatter... They were getting board. I will say though that you can judge my sons flying confidence in me by his question at one point in the video with a "are you going to crash it daddy?"

No, no I am not! Even had clean landings. Was a great 20 mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzZB3Nzj7r4

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 14, 2014

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nice! Looks good in the air.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Very tempting if it lives up to the promises.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/airdroids/the-pocket-drone-your-personal-flying-robot

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Uh so my autopilot decided to fly away into the forest. After some mild manual mode aerobatics on my Naza it suddenly stopped responding to input. I was still getting telemetry data so I had receiver link. Flipped my failsafe in GPS mode to no result and then tried to bring it down using the receiver failsafe. No luck. It kept drifting and holding altitude at about 100 feet until it left the park I was flying in. I found it using the recovery GPS I put on it. Unfortunately it is atop a tree. The internet seems to point at a compass failure even though it was calibrated. Very depressing.

Any tips on un-treeing quadcopter without risking a fine for cutting down a tree in a public park? I am waiting for morning to get some heavy strand fishing line and a box of lacrosse balls. Fortunately it is in a oak and if we get a day with heavy wind it will fall, but rain is coming Friday.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

I don't see the point... I've never had my tricopter and though 'man this doesn't fold small enough'.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Folding props are kind of a bad idea on multirotor craft where the propellers have to change speed frequently

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

tehk posted:

Any tips on un-treeing quadcopter without risking a fine for cutting down a tree in a public park? I am waiting for morning to get some heavy strand fishing line and a box of lacrosse balls. Fortunately it is in a oak and if we get a day with heavy wind it will fall, but rain is coming Friday.

Another quadcopter with a hook on it :) Some germans did that on youtube after getting a quad stuck on top of a tower.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I absolutely hate that promo video. The idea of a micro tri is cool. I don't see anything innovative here at all though.

I'm almost certain they are using gimbal footage too, which is bullshit since it doesn't have a gimbal.

ease fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 16, 2014

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Seems a decent novice unit at a good price point for something that carries a go-pro and supports APM waypoints. IF it lives up to all that it promises which is always the questions with kickstarters.

Any suggestions that tick all the same boxes on the market now?

Edit: I don't hate the video but the guy doing the talking does seem afflicted with a very smug tone of voice.

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 16, 2014

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Bob A Feet posted:

I'll throw in a vote for the Nano qx. Its more expensive than the rest of the pack but it can hold its own on high rates and slow rates as well. I was just flying mine around my bed room and now I'm about to fly it around my court yard from my balcony.

If you're not sold on a quad the micro vapor plane from parkzone makes a great indoor plane as well.

I'm still loving my Nano QX. I've had it for a few months now. And it's put up with all of my abuse. Including several ill fated flip attempts. It even puts up with some real wind pretty well.

I ordered a Fire Fox EP200 a couple days ago. So.. I'm moving up to larger helis. And it's a kit. So I ordered the proper motor, speed control, a heading gyro, some batteries.. and I'll get to use my stock of servos and recievers to finish it out. I'm excited.... I've never built a heli before.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

ease posted:

I absolutely hate that promo video. The idea of a micro tri is cool. I don't see anything innovative here at all though.

I'm almost certain they are using gimbal footage too, which is bullshit since it doesn't have a gimbal.

I wouldn't say I hate it, but yes, they're either using a gimbal or post-processing software to remove the shakiness. Unless it expressly says otherwise somewhere. I will say that its size doesn't bode well for handling wind...

"The Pocket Drone is designed to be your personal flying robot."

Uh, meaning what exactly? Aren't they all supposed to be our own flying robots?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

DammitJanet posted:

I wouldn't say I hate it, but yes, they're either using a gimbal or post-processing software to remove the shakiness. Unless it expressly says otherwise somewhere. I will say that its size doesn't bode well for handling wind...

"The Pocket Drone is designed to be your personal flying robot."

Uh, meaning what exactly? Aren't they all supposed to be our own flying robots?

I think thats the whole follow me aspect of it. I don't know the right terms, but it looks like it'll follow your phones gps or something? That's pretty awesome to me. I've wanted one to take SICK RAD VIDS of my mountain biking, that thing looks like exactly what I'd want if it pans out as clean as the kickstarter claims. Still above my price point for a toy (I have no illusions that I can get one cheaper), but looks like something I'd love to convince a riding buddy to buy.. heh.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I like the "imagine it folowing you and filming you while you snowboard bit". It will follow you for about 10 seconds before running into the ground, a tree or another skiier.

Follow me mode works ok out in an empty field. It has no concept of terrain.

The 20 minutes hover time is impressive if true for something that size carrying that weight.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Do a glide test before your maiden flight, fellas

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I've seen this. I'm assuming he was just really tail heavy? Gliding seems awesome, and I think I have a glider about 2-3 planes in my future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

ease posted:

I've seen this. I'm assuming he was just really tail heavy? Gliding seems awesome, and I think I have a glider about 2-3 planes in my future.

Probably excessively tail heavy with a heavy dose of up elevator, and full throttle. Maybe a strong wind too, not helped by launching over an obstacle.

I have a total nerd on for warm and hotliners. Less hassle than a pylon racer and still loving fast. And the whistle they make as they race by 1 metre off the ground is also really cool. Then when the motor battery is out, use a little bit of skill in the right conditions and you can keep it aloft until you're bored.

Add a gyro/stabiliser to the plane with enough of a motor and you can engage lazy mode launch by just holding it vertical and throttling up. It'll helicopter its way out of your hand.